or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread - Page 20

post #571 of 3777
I am very excited at what this set might have to offer.a117.jpg
post #572 of 3777
Any Cyber Monday deals anyone has found? There are tons of links to a "Cyber Monday Deal" on Amazon but when you get there it's still at $998. Nothing at Wal-Mart either...
post #573 of 3777
I'm also one of the unfortunates who didn't get one of these at the 688 price point. Amazon and the others are counting on the fevered buying season and the fact that some of us have "gotten the taste in our mouths" of this set and are primed to buy one, no matter how much effort it takes.

I plan to keep looking, but I won't be standing in any lines or re-arranging my schedule for a chance at it. It's just a TV, for gosh sakes.

Once the inventories have been replenished and the vendors want to get the product off their shelves, better prices will return. 688? Who knows when? Not me. I've only seen the price of electronics go down with time, so I'd expect the price to moderate again in a few weeks and through the post-Christmas binge.

One fellow in a higher-end store told me that all new screens are being made with 3D, so this may be the first of the last non-3D displays. (That suits me fine.) That should drive the price lower for these sooner than later as well.

It may be January before the really good deals return. If I'm wrong, I'll be buying one sooner.
post #574 of 3777
Four day owner weighing in here. Comments below based on FW version 1.1.4

Thus far and overall I am very pleased with the display. After adjustment, picture quality is excellent for a lower price range device. I was concerned about motion blur for sports content at this price range but even without smooth motion turned on, all types of sports content looks great. IMO this devices presents an excellent price/performance value. At the moment I am streaming Prometheus BluRay from my media server...fantastic.

Confirmed, built-in speakers are only adequate...anything beyond watching the news requires external audio IMO. This issue seems to be related to processing lag within the display itself.

Regarding audio lag, I too have experienced this issue. The solution for me was to connect the audio out from the TV to my audio equipment as opposed to separate feed direct to the amp. This resolved the audio sync issue, if at the cost of reduced fidelity. I realize that this is not suitable for all setups, it is merely a workaround.

I have also uncovered a relatively serious flaw in DNLA function. Browsing files on my media server (Iomega IX2-200) in a certain directory structure will cause the TV to turn itself off. Every time. I contacted Vizio tech support, and after initially hosing the set with a tech-recommended soft reset sequence (d/c AC power, hold power button for 30 seconds), I had to clear the memory and reprogram the unit. At some point during the troubleshooting process, the set became completely unresponsive to user input. Also, discovery of the NAS devices and media servers on the LAN segment tends to be slow, with no way to initiate a scan from the TV itself. The DLNA issue appears to be a firmware issue, as every other aspect of the unit's DLNA operation works correctly. Vizio offered a tech roll to investigate, but I have declined for now. I can move files into higher directory structures and eliminate the power-off issue...yet another workaround.

My guess/hope is that further baking of the firmware will resolve both issues.
post #575 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayers71 View Post

Four day owner weighing in here. Comments below based on FW version 1.1.4
Thus far and overall I am very pleased with the display. After adjustment, picture quality is excellent for a lower price range device. I was concerned about motion blur for sports content at this price range but even without smooth motion turned on, all types of sports content looks great. IMO this devices presents an excellent price/performance value. At the moment I am streaming Prometheus BluRay from my media server...fantastic.
Confirmed, built-in speakers are only adequate...anything beyond watching the news requires external audio IMO. This issue seems to be related to processing lag within the display itself.
Regarding audio lag, I too have experienced this issue. The solution for me was to connect the audio out from the TV to my audio equipment as opposed to separate feed direct to the amp. This resolved the audio sync issue, if at the cost of reduced fidelity. I realize that this is not suitable for all setups, it is merely a workaround.
I have also uncovered a relatively serious flaw in DNLA function. Browsing files on my media server (Iomega IX2-200) in a certain directory structure will cause the TV to turn itself off. Every time. I contacted Vizio tech support, and after initially hosing the set with a tech-recommended soft reset sequence (d/c AC power, hold power button for 30 seconds), I had to clear the memory and reprogram the unit. At some point during the troubleshooting process, the set became completely unresponsive to user input. Also, discovery of the NAS devices and media servers on the LAN segment tends to be slow, with no way to initiate a scan from the TV itself. The DLNA issue appears to be a firmware issue, as every other aspect of the unit's DLNA operation works correctly. Vizio offered a tech roll to investigate, but I have declined for now. I can move files into higher directory structures and eliminate the power-off issue...yet another workaround.
My guess/hope is that further baking of the firmware will resolve both issues.

What media server are you using on the TV? I didn't see an option to use Plex...

Right now, I'm just putting my stuff on a hard drive and plugging that into the TV. Works pretty well, but obviously doesn't look as nice as a media server with the box art and all that stuff.
Edited by andyacecandy - 11/26/12 at 2:03pm
post #576 of 3777
I have an Iomega IX2-200 2TB NAS, which supports DLNA server functionality. The Vizio Media app is OK, but its nothing like some of the more polished interfaces found on other media appliances. That said, it is nice to be able to stream directly from the network and not have to shuffle USB drives. smile.gif

I haven't played with Plex much other than messing around with our Roku, but if you are running the media server app it should provide the DLNA signaling that the TV needs in order to work via the built-in Media app. For greatest ease of use keep the media server on the same network segment as the TV, and the TV should discover the Media server automatically...VLAN segmented home networks require some additional configuration to allow the TVs Media app to work correctly.
post #577 of 3777
Just put Plex on my laptop and the TV picks it up, but it definitely doesn't look like anything special. No box art or anything... just a list of file names and folders as though I plugged in a USB or hard drive.

Would love to get the box art to show up, that'd be sweet
Edited by andyacecandy - 11/26/12 at 5:48pm
post #578 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post

Any Cyber Monday deals anyone has found? There are tons of links to a "Cyber Monday Deal" on Amazon but when you get there it's still at $998. Nothing at Wal-Mart either...
NOTHING and I was hunting...and, at $998 it's "out of stock" > not that I'm a buyer at that price. rolleyes.gif
Even with Christmas, after Christmas, New Year bla-bla shopping deals...I don't think we'll see $688 again for a looooong time frown.gif
post #579 of 3777
The back light bleed on my set is horrible and it's the 3rd one I have had. All of them have lower left and right corner bleed along with 4 spots on the top and middle of the screen. Is anyone else having the same problem??
post #580 of 3777
Yeah I notice a lot of light bleed when I'm powering on the set. Especially in the lower left corner. However the first day I got it I watched Tron Legacy and it was mostly dark in a lot of scenes and I didn't notice it (and I was looking for it) so it's not an issue for me.
post #581 of 3777
Not sure if same problem but... I set my E601 to the CNet specs and when there is all white or an uniform color image on the bottom left and right corners I see a 'wisp' of bleeding? Sort of like a flame coming out of a lighter as it starts from the corner and bends upwards. This effect is say oh 2".

It almost seems like most o it disappears after time as if the LEDs are compensating for the display. Normal busy scenes one can not see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887123 View Post

The back light bleed on my set is horrible and it's the 3rd one I have had. All of them have lower left and right corner bleed along with 4 spots on the top and middle of the screen. Is anyone else having the same problem??
post #582 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyacecandy View Post

Just put Plex on my laptop and the TV picks it up, but it definitely doesn't look like anything special. No box art or anything... just a list of file names and folders as though I plugged in a USB or hard drive.
Would love to get the box art to show up, that'd be sweet
Isn't Plex awesome?
You'd need a native Plex client for the Vizio TV though to get all the fancy box art.

I have the Samsung Plex client installed on my TV and LOVE IT. Can't believe I didn't know about it earlier.
I have not had one organizing mistake yet with my TV Show library. AMAZING
post #583 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

Isn't Plex awesome?
You'd need a native Plex client for the Vizio TV though to get all the fancy box art.
I have the Samsung Plex client installed on my TV and LOVE IT. Can't believe I didn't know about it earlier.
I have not had one organizing mistake yet with my TV Show library. AMAZING

Dang, I wish Vizio had a native Plex app in their app store... don't think it's possible

Unless you wanna dish out 100 for this Vizio Co-Star thing
http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview/
post #584 of 3777
Just buy a roku. I picked up one on black friday so I could stream my pled media library to this tv in my basement.
post #585 of 3777
Ok, my tv is being delivered tomorrow morning($688 Amazon deal) and I'm getting excited. Have a few questions. I am a major newb when it comes to all the technology related to smart tvs. I am hearing you guys talk about PLEX. With this I can simply download it to my mac and stream it straight to the tv without any cable and there is no degradation of quality? Also, is there a fee related with this? Sorry if these are very basic questions. Thanks
post #586 of 3777
Anyone else using the TV with a receiver and getting sync issues? I have everything running through my Denon AVR-1910 and have sync issues with the cable box (Fios) & anything I play from my HTPC.

Never thought I'd have to deal with such a silly problem but if Vizio can't find a real firmware fix within the next week I'm going to have to return it.
post #587 of 3777
^ I'll give ya $250 for it...after all it's used with a sync issue biggrin.gif
post #588 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandimeoutof10 View Post

Ok, my tv is being delivered tomorrow morning($688 Amazon deal) and I'm getting excited. Have a few questions. I am a major newb when it comes to all the technology related to smart tvs. I am hearing you guys talk about PLEX. With this I can simply download it to my mac and stream it straight to the tv without any cable and there is no degradation of quality? Also, is there a fee related with this? Sorry if these are very basic questions. Thanks

The answer to your questions are here: http://www.plexapp.com/
post #589 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayers71 View Post

The answer to your questions are here: http://www.plexapp.com/

I visited this site and was still a bit confused. Does this tv need some sort of accessory such as a Roku or Google tv box to stream content from your pc to the tv or is there a way to get it straight to the tv wirelessly with built in apps?

When andyacecandy said "Just put Plex on my laptop and the TV picks it up, but it definitely doesn't look like anything special. No box art or anything... just a list of file names and folders as though I plugged in a USB or hard drive." does this mean that the tv picked up the software on his computer or was there some 3rd party interface necessary? I haven't even heard of plex until today but if I can "stream" movies from my laptop to the tv without even plugging it in then mind=blown. eek.gif
post #590 of 3777
I do have a Roku and had Plex operational in about five minutes after reading about it here, very cool! Just watched my first ahem uh video! I put the play quality at 8mbps and 1080p and the PQ is excellent, thanks for the tip!
post #591 of 3777
I am going to Sell mine, anyone in the Greensboro NC area interested. My wife wants to stick with Plasma so this has to go.
$850, still have the box and everything else it came with.
post #592 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

I do have a Roku and had Plex operational in about five minutes after reading about it here, very cool! Just watched my first ahem uh video! I put the play quality at 8mbps and 1080p and the PQ is excellent, thanks for the tip!

So an external devise such as this is necessary?
post #593 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandimeoutof10 View Post

So an external devise such as this is necessary?

It's necessary to have communication between the Plex app on the TV and the Plex server on your computer. For the TV you will either need the Plex app though Vizio's app suite or an external device like Roku. I don['t believe Vizio has the app available now..
post #594 of 3777
All you need is Plex on your computer. This Vizio TV picks up media servers off your computer and streams the content live on the TV... pretty cool

The interface isn't as nice (no box art or description or anything), but it streams flawlessly which is all that matters. Don't need the native PLEX app on the TV, just go to Media and your computer's media server(s) will be picked up.
post #595 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyacecandy View Post

All you need is Plex on your computer. This Vizio TV picks up media servers off your computer and streams the content live on the TV... pretty cool
The interface isn't as nice (no box art or description or anything), but it streams flawlessly which is all that matters. Don't need the native PLEX app on the TV, just go to Media and your computer's media server(s) will be picked up.

Didn't know that, the Roku interface is pretty nice though.
post #596 of 3777
Count me as another person with lip sync issues. It is very random and can happen on any channel. The lip sync issue is seems to be getting worse over time so I guess my black friday savings was fools gold and i will have to move down to a 55 inch tv.
Edited by SAFOOL - 11/27/12 at 7:58pm
post #597 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyacecandy View Post

All you need is Plex on your computer. This Vizio TV picks up media servers off your computer and streams the content live on the TV... pretty cool
The interface isn't as nice (no box art or description or anything), but it streams flawlessly which is all that matters. Don't need the native PLEX app on the TV, just go to Media and your computer's media server(s) will be picked up.


One more question about PLEX on this tv: is the only restriction on quality the quality of the file you have on the computer? In other words, if I have a 1080p movie on my computer and I use the PLEX to stream it, will it be true 1080p quality just as if I had connected it via hdmi?
post #598 of 3777
So I got one by luck on walmart.com for $688 on Turkey Day....Just set it up, and I am impressed.

Two issues upfront:
1) Netflix or Amazon do not seem to get online, even though all network tests are successful, and Yahoo Weather gets data.
2) After monkeying with it for a little, the "Apps Bar" at the bottom locked up, now the entire thing is locked. Still shows video but looks like I am going to have to get out of the chair and walk over to power cycle it.

Update:
Menu button on the side got it out of that menu bar.
Power cycled it from side power button.
Remote still would not work.
Pulled the power cord, then restarted.
Remote still does not work....
...
Tested remote, by watching it with my cell phone camera, LED is blinking to transmit...LCD just does not respond to any remote commands.
The Time Warner Remote, programed for Power/Vol does not operate it either....
...
Redid guided setup. Remote works on guided setup.
As soon as that is complete, the remote stop working.
From an off state, remote will power the unit on, but nothing else.
...
Anyone got any ideas?
Bluetooth remote? Not paired?
Edited by GGITech - 11/27/12 at 8:47pm
post #599 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

Yeah I notice a lot of light bleed when I'm powering on the set. Especially in the lower left corner. However the first day I got it I watched Tron Legacy and it was mostly dark in a lot of scenes and I didn't notice it (and I was looking for it) so it's not an issue for me.

Same here. Powering up the TV, the light bleed is pretty noticeable (especially because im running stock settings, pretty bright backlight), but the first time I used it I watched Prometheus with the lady friend and could only barely make out a little lighter shade of black in the lower left corner. For the next couple of weeks following, I would look really closely during every dark scene I watched and was only ever able to notice that one little area which is still hard to see when im staring at it during all black scenes in a completely dark room.

I figured I should count myself lucky and just keep the set after hearing of everyone else's problems and after being convinced by the really helpful AVS community smile.gif. I do still have a few weeks on the return policy (Costco 90 day).

One question though, I run the TV at stock settings, as I said above. I saw that one user mentioned that the TV is essentially running in "torch mode" and it would basically burn itself out or ruin the set quickly. Should I tone it down or is that just some wild assumption?
post #600 of 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGITech View Post

So I got one by luck on walmart.com for $688 on Turkey Day....Just set it up, and I am impressed.
Two issues upfront:
1) Netflix or Amazon do not seem to get online, even though all network tests are successful, and Yahoo Weather gets data.
2) After monkeying with it for a little, the "Apps Bar" at the bottom locked up, now the entire thing is locked. Still shows video but looks like I am going to have to get out of the chair and walk over to power cycle it.
Update:
Menu button on the side got it out of that menu bar.
Power cycled it from side power button.
Remote still would not work.
Pulled the power cord, then restarted.
Remote still does not work....
...
Tested remote, by watching it with my cell phone camera, LED is blinking to transmit...LCD just does not respond to any remote commands.
The Time Warner Remote, programed for Power/Vol does not operate it either....
...
Redid guided setup. Remote works on guided setup.
As soon as that is complete, the remote stop working.
From an off state, remote will power the unit on, but nothing else.
...
Anyone got any ideas?
Bluetooth remote? Not paired?


This happened to me after performing a soft reset at the advice of Vizio tech support (!). The way I go the TV back to normal was to clear the memory...be warned, this will remove all settings in the TV configu menus, including the network setup...basically, you are resetting it to factory default, just the way it came out of the box. The good news here is that the whole process only takes about 5 minutes, but any custom picture settings will have to be reprogrammed.

My personal opinion is that this happens when a new firmware version is being pushed to the device...my TV became totally unresponsive when this happened, couldn't even power it off via the button on the TV.

I am going to be patient and assume that Vizio will address this (and other problems) with a firmware update within a few days. They sold way too many of these TVs on Black Friday to be able to ignore the issues.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Vizio E601-A3 Owners Thread