or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 Plus Pack Pricing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8 Plus Pack Pricing

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Just saw the Windows 8 Plus Pack in a Newegg ad this morning...$70 just for the plus pack. Either 70 or 100 for Windows 8 itself. So, $140 to $170 to build an HTPC with Windows Media Center...seems rather high...

I think I'll keep my HTPCs on Windows 7 for as long as possible.

Stan

ps: I hate the new interface for desktop use as well!
post #2 of 27
Thought I read that you can only add the Media Center to the Pro version which is more. Or does this pack also upgrade the regular Windows 8 to the Pro version too?
post #3 of 27
$7, $70, $700, I don't care. I wouldn't install it if MS were giving it away.
post #4 of 27
You can upgrade (technically you can clean install too, this is a "full fat" version) for $40 or £25 if you download it from Microsoft. I don't why you'd bother. Its a phone OS, not a desktop OS. I hope it fails. The desktop is not a giant tablet. Never will be.
post #5 of 27
Why does everybody keep calling this an "upgrade". Win 8 is most definitely a downgrade. Start menu - gone, multi-tasking - gone, ease of use - gone, aesthetics - gone. Why willingly pay for less features and more frustration?

The problem is a lot of people assume the latest and greatest is always better. So those who just dive in and "upgrade" are going to sorely disappointed and want to go back to Win 7 immediately. A few will stick with it and fewer still might even like it. But I'll be sticking with Win 7 for the foreseeable future, especially on my HTPC.
post #6 of 27
+1. Couldn't agree more.
post #7 of 27
What I want to know is, what happened to the $39.99 upgrade to Win 8 Pro with a free download of Media Center that was advertised a while back? Appears to be more MS BS.

+2 for the "upgrade". I haven't seen anything in Win 8 that would make me want to switch from Win 7.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

What I want to know is, what happened to the $39.99 upgrade to Win 8 Pro with a free download of Media Center that was advertised a while back? Appears to be more MS BS.

Nothing's happened to it - it's still going to be made available on October 26th. See http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/10/12/reserve-your-copy-of-windows-8-pro-and-pre-order-windows-8-pcs-today.aspx
post #9 of 27
I fondly remember running to my local PC store and picking up a fresh boxed version of Win 7 back in 2009. Judging by Microsoft's new OS, I'll never be doing that again. Its a phone OS dementedly stitched with a desktop option.
post #10 of 27
I heard that MS will be offering an upgrade to Windows8 for £24.99 with a free downgrade to Windows7 if you are not happy. I was going to go this route to upgrade from WindowsXP to Windows7.

David
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoupe View Post

Nothing's happened to it - it's still going to be made available on October 26th. See http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/10/12/reserve-your-copy-of-windows-8-pro-and-pre-order-windows-8-pcs-today.aspx

Yeah, I saw that link posted on dealnews.com. The thing is, that's the same link that was posted months ago. The pre-order prices seem to contradict what's posted on the blog. I'm more curious than being an interested buyer. I have no motivation whatsoever to switch from Windows 7.
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

I heard that MS will be offering an upgrade to Windows8 for £24.99 with a free downgrade to Windows7 if you are not happy. I was going to go this route to upgrade from WindowsXP to Windows7.
David
That would be a hell of a note if they charged you to "downgrade."biggrin.gif I'm pretty sure all of the Microsoft OS upgrades create a backup during the install for just that purpose.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

That would be a hell of a note if they charged you to "downgrade."biggrin.gif I'm pretty sure all of the Microsoft OS upgrades create a backup during the install for just that purpose.

I talking about upgrading from WindowsXP to Windows8 and then downgrading to Windows7 for £25 instead of buying a £75 upgrade straight to Windows7.

David
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Yeah, I saw that link posted on dealnews.com. The thing is, that's the same link that was posted months ago. The pre-order prices seem to contradict what's posted on the blog. I'm more curious than being an interested buyer. I have no motivation whatsoever to switch from Windows 7.
Nope it's NOT the same link that was posted months ago - it was posted two days ago (on the 12th October), and is a follow-up to the older post.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

I talking about upgrading from WindowsXP to Windows8 and then downgrading to Windows7 for £25 instead of buying a £75 upgrade straight to Windows7.
David

That's not even possible. You cannot 'upgrade' from XP to Win8 then downgrade to Win7.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

That's not even possible. You cannot 'upgrade' from XP to Win8 then downgrade to Win7.

You can upgrade from WindowsXP, read any of the articles below. They all state the upgrade is for WindowsXP or newer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2195252/Windows-8-Microsoft-confirms-upgrading-cost-24-99-UK.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-uk-upgrade-pricing-confirmed-as-24-99-1093943

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2012/08/30/ms-win8-upgrade/1

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/44489-windows-xp-windows-8-upgrade-price-set-25/

David
post #17 of 27
post #18 of 27
If you want a new OS, don't upgrade or downgrade. Clean install. Otherwise there is a very good chance you'll run into odd issues. And people are still using XP? *shudders*
post #19 of 27
Hopefully the double install method will work with Windows8, then the clean install is a good way to do the upgrade.

I wonder if the Windows8 license will work on a clean Windows7 install, I will find out next week!

David
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

If you want a new OS, don't upgrade or downgrade. Clean install.

I've never seen a Windows upgrade package that didn't offer a clean install of the new OS as an option.
Quote:
Otherwise there is a very good chance you'll run into odd issues.

More to the point, upgrades past XP won't carry your installed applications forward.

That's the only reason to do an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install of the new OS,

AFAIK, the remaining options preserve your data and orphan your existing applications.
Quote:
And people are still using XP?

Millions of them. Maybe upwards of a billion.
Quote:
*shudders*

That just you!

If your existing software is working just fine for you, why upgrade?

Because it hurts so good? ;-)
post #21 of 27

Right. You buy a new PC with and have the option of Win8 or Win7. Nothing in those links says if you have a WinXP PC, purchase Win8 and install it, that you can somehow 'down grade' after to Win7.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

Right. You buy a new PC with and have the option of Win8 or Win7. Nothing in those links says if you have a WinXP PC, purchase Win8 and install it, that you can somehow 'down grade' after to Win7.

I think you are right.........I thought it seemed like too good a deal to pass up on.

David
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I've never seen a Windows upgrade package that didn't offer a clean install of the new OS as an option.
More to the point, upgrades past XP won't carry your installed applications forward.
That's the only reason to do an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install of the new OS,
AFAIK, the remaining options preserve your data and orphan your existing applications.
Millions of them. Maybe upwards of a billion.
That just you!
If your existing software is working just fine for you, why upgrade?
Because it hurts so good? ;-)

You missed the part where you can run into issues if you don't clean install. I can't wait until XP is killed off in 2014. It does not have any place in 2012. Decrepit, insecure, and simply too old.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

You missed the part where you can run into issues if you don't clean install. I can't wait until XP is killed off in 2014. It does not have any place in 2012. Decrepit, insecure, and simply too old.

Its not too old, its mature..........
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidT99 View Post

Its not too old, its mature..........

It was built back when DVD's were new and did not even come originally with a firewall. It has no native support for 3TB HDD's, UEFI or DirectX 11, to name but a few modern bits and pieces. And its hilariously insecure and creaky.
post #26 of 27
Xp came along at a time when we were right on the cusp of home networking . However , XP came just a tad to early and missed the boat . Networking even with service packs / updates is still quite cumbersome .

Attachment to the OS aside ... I would agree , It is time for xp to go . R.I.P.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

You missed the part where you can run into issues if you don't clean install. I can't wait until XP is killed off in 2014. It does not have any place in 2012. Decrepit, insecure, and simply too old.

The 'upgrade' from XP to Win8 is a clean install. There is no way to just upgrade the OS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 Plus Pack Pricing