or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 1057
LT Aldo Raine,

it is my understanding that with depth adjusted normally the ghosting is almost non-existent, correct?

And you get more ghosting if you crank depth all the way up? Is it still acceptable?

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, the shipping from Visual Apex in Washington to Michigan (I think fedex ground) is brutal!!

But my local dealer STILL does not have any in.
post #92 of 1057
newbie here. got the 3020e last friday also from va. it was directly shipped from epson in carson near los angeles. ground shipping took 1 day since i'm just 10 miles from epson, lucky me. and yes, i don't know of anywhere else with them in stock, not even epson themselves!

been running it on cinema eco mode and love the smooth film like picture. though it's my first projector so i can't really compare.
the wirelesshd works perfectly, it has never lost a connection with the 30 hours or so that i've been watching. turning on the projector even automatically turns on the blu ray player via the wirelesshd hdmi link!

the only 2 imperfections are audible auto iris and the hot air from the exhaust, but that's the way it is, not really complaining.
post #93 of 1057
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman69 View Post

LT Aldo Raine,
it is my understanding that with depth adjusted normally the ghosting is almost non-existent, correct?
And you get more ghosting if you crank depth all the way up? Is it still acceptable?
Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, the shipping from Visual Apex in Washington to Michigan (I think fedex ground) is brutal!!
But my local dealer STILL does not have any in.

When adjusting the "depth" all you are really doing is moving the the images closer together or farther away on the screen (shifting left and right). Since the source material stays the same it does add some severe ghosting on the extreme ends of the setting. Also there is a screen size adjustment in the 3D settings that tries to set this for you. For example when I set my screen at 130" it bumped the 3D depth setting up to 1 (from the default 0). I leave mine at 0 just so I know I'm getting the picture on screen as the director intended.
post #94 of 1057
Thx Doompatrol

It doesn't sound like you should be fooling with depth at all if you want the 3d effect as the director intended like you say

Lzb how annoying is the noise level on the auto iris? Is it typically drowned out by a solid 5.1 system?

The published review stated that it can be turned off without killing blacks but I find that a little hard to believe
post #95 of 1057
Hi, noob here and I'm looking forward to making my first projector purchase. I'm about to pull the trigger on this Epson 3020, having debated between it and the Optoma HD33. I just looked at older models side-by-side (the 3010 and the HD20) and apparently I am incapable of perceiving a difference between LCD and DLP images. I'm a casual PS3 gamer and I'm excited to watch the occasional 3D movie. The projector will be in a room with good light control and the screen will be no bigger than 100", throwing from 13'-15.5' away and mounted to the ceiling. (I can mount it closer. I'd always assumed it should be mounted behind the seating area, but I'm not sure!)

So, before I go with the 3020, does anyone have any last minute arguments in favor of the HD33? Anyone owned both and have an opinion?
And lastly, do people have recommendations on vendors? (I'm leaning toward ProjectorPeople or VisualApex)

Thanks!
Edited by ku2nyc - 10/28/12 at 6:51pm
post #96 of 1057
Just wanted to chime in to this conversation since I had a chance to view the 3020 this past friday. I actually compared it to a BenQ W1200 so I got the DLP vs. LCD comparison. The movie the vendor was displaying was Yogi Bear on a 106" screen. The first thing that I noticed is that the BenQ seemed brighter to me, even though the 3020 claims more lumens (and they were both on normal lamp mode and cinema 1). The BenQ was also using keystone so not to it's maximum capabilities. When we froze the movie on the scene where Yogi extends his telescope from the bushes at the beginning of the movie, this is where you clearly see the differences between the technologies. The 3020 was a nice soft film like image whereas the W1200 was so razor sharp, I was asking myself how this could be the same image. This was clear to me that my eyes prefer DLP. Black levels were comparable to me doing the hand puppet test on the dark/black portions of the screen so that was a wash.

Unfortunately, I also discovered that I am somewhat susceptible to RBE. I noticed it a bit on end credits (white letter on black background) and it was more visible when I moved my eyes and came back to the screen. I do not know if this is a deal breaker for me but I really did prefer the DLP look. It just popped more and was so much sharper, I just could not believe the difference. It is funny because with regular TV's, it's plasma that looks more film like and LCD has that sharper digital look. I am now torn on the whole choice of projector because I really thought I was headed for the 3020. However, after this demonstration, I am seriously considering DLP, despite the fact that I am slightly susceptible to RBE (didn't really notice it during movie scenes).

Anyone out there, if you can chime in on this matter, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #97 of 1057
received my 3020 from Visual Apex on Saturday...installed and will post pictures.

Only bummer is I have a pink/purple spot showing on the left edge of the screen. I'm not sure if this is "dust blob" or a couple of dead pixels. Ran pixel flipper for a little while (Disney WOW calibration disc) didn't seem to help.

I'm calling Epson this afternoon. Watched Madagascar 3 in 3D blu-ray last night and it looked great, no noticeable crosstalk/ghosting.

I hear LCD projectors are somewhat prone to dust blobs, but thought they were only green, not pink/purple.

I have my projector ceiling mounted in my basement, its a finished basement with pretty new carpet, open joists (painted ceiling black), etc.

I do notice a fair amount of dust when projecting in the dark, in the light path....is this somewhat normal?

I would say our house is "average" for dust, not great, not terrible....we have a small dog but it doesn't shed a ton.

When you guys are projecting can you see dust in your air lloating around? It seems like when the fan runs it moves some dust around, I assume this is normal and there is always some dust in the air (unless you have a hospital clean room)

I am going to buy a HEPA Honeywell Air Cleaner for this theatre room to see if it cuts down on dust, but I never noticed dust much before, but shooting a light canon in the dark with an exhaust fan does some to kick some dust up.

Thoughts? Is it somewhat typical to see some dust floating in the light as it comes out of the lens/in front of lens?
post #98 of 1057
Yep, dust is ever present. Not much you can do.

The dust blobs I got were a bit green but I'm not sure if they come in different colours???
post #99 of 1057
I thought dust blobs typically only show as green....but this is a pinkish/purplish.

Maybe its a series of bad pixels. Calling Epson now...
post #100 of 1057
Bigman,

I saw a demo of the 3020 on friday and there was a dust blob on the right hand side of the image and it was red/pink in color. The vendor told me it was a dust blob and it was there form the first couple of days he put it up. funny thing is that during my demo, we moved the projector around a little to view the zoom range and this made the dust blob disappear literally while moving the projector. Don't despair, try this out and see if it works.
post #101 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Just wanted to chime in to this conversation since I had a chance to view the 3020 this past friday. I actually compared it to a BenQ W1200 so I got the DLP vs. LCD comparison. The movie the vendor was displaying was Yogi Bear on a 106" screen. The first thing that I noticed is that the BenQ seemed brighter to me, even though the 3020 claims more lumens (and they were both on normal lamp mode and cinema 1). The BenQ was also using keystone so not to it's maximum capabilities. When we froze the movie on the scene where Yogi extends his telescope from the bushes at the beginning of the movie, this is where you clearly see the differences between the technologies. The 3020 was a nice soft film like image whereas the W1200 was so razor sharp, I was asking myself how this could be the same image. This was clear to me that my eyes prefer DLP. Black levels were comparable to me doing the hand puppet test on the dark/black portions of the screen so that was a wash.
Unfortunately, I also discovered that I am somewhat susceptible to RBE. I noticed it a bit on end credits (white letter on black background) and it was more visible when I moved my eyes and came back to the screen. I do not know if this is a deal breaker for me but I really did prefer the DLP look. It just popped more and was so much sharper, I just could not believe the difference. It is funny because with regular TV's, it's plasma that looks more film like and LCD has that sharper digital look. I am now torn on the whole choice of projector because I really thought I was headed for the 3020. However, after this demonstration, I am seriously considering DLP, despite the fact that I am slightly susceptible to RBE (didn't really notice it during movie scenes).
Anyone out there, if you can chime in on this matter, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

If you notice RBE. You'll start seeing it even in the movie cause your eye knows about it. You may get headaches and eye strain. But aren't certain why. It's RBE.
I could never have a DLP they way they make them with RBE. I was watching a movie, and a small highlight piece of bright white on a man's shirt displayed the RBE.
Anything that is bright against anything darker. RBE. The DLP image does look really clear. But over all I preferred the trouble free image from a LCP Projector.
In My opinion. It's ridiculous for a seller of a DLP projector to tell you to try not to move your head too fast so you won't see RBE.

RBE drove me insane. And did give my eyes strain.
post #102 of 1057
Thanks for the reply Soloforce. I guess this is what I am worried about, not to mention I do not know how the rest of my family (and other visitors) will be affected by this as well. I just so loved that clean and sharp look of the DLP, LCD seemed like a much inferior product in comparison of the frame I looked at.
post #103 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Thanks for the reply Soloforce. I guess this is what I am worried about, not to mention I do not know how the rest of my family (and other visitors) will be affected by this as well. I just so loved that clean and sharp look of the DLP, LCD seemed like a much inferior product in comparison of the frame I looked at.

So my typo. I meant to day towards the end. Is that I prefer the trouble free image of LCD. And It give me more of that PROJECTED look. in what I like in a home theatre.

iMIKE THEATRE BUILD - My First Theatre Build Project
post #104 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Bigman,
I saw a demo of the 3020 on friday and there was a dust blob on the right hand side of the image and it was red/pink in color. The vendor told me it was a dust blob and it was there form the first couple of days he put it up. funny thing is that during my demo, we moved the projector around a little to view the zoom range and this made the dust blob disappear literally while moving the projector. Don't despair, try this out and see if it works.

I will try this, did you gently shake it or something?

This is a real bummer, my projector is 3 days old and has less than 5 hours on it total, and its already showing a dust blob....WTF?

Is this how its going to be from here on out? Every 5 hours I get pink spots on the screen? I thought the 3010 was pretty decent when it came to this issue, i.e. the filter, as long as it is cleaned regularly, is pretty good at preventing such things.

This is not a good start, if these projectors are THIS prone to getting dust blobs, should they even be sold? Mine is brand new....

Please tell me this isn't the average user's experience....Epson is willing to replace mine.....argh....???
post #105 of 1057
Bigman69, I don't know if this is a widespread issue with the 3020, the projector is too new to have a sense for that yet. Time will tell.

as for what we did to remove the dust blob, the projector was sitting on a rear mobile shelf and we simply moved the shelf a little closer to the screen (and maybe slightly touched the projector itself to align it better with the screen) and somehow the dust blob disappeared. We weren't trying to get rid of it, but realized after the movement that the spot was no longer there. It did not come back either by the time I left.
post #106 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Maniac View Post

Bigman69, I don't know if this is a widespread issue with the 3020, the projector is too new to have a sense for that yet. Time will tell.
as for what we did to remove the dust blob, the projector was sitting on a rear mobile shelf and we simply moved the shelf a little closer to the screen (and maybe slightly touched the projector itself to align it better with the screen) and somehow the dust blob disappeared. We weren't trying to get rid of it, but realized after the movement that the spot was no longer there. It did not come back either by the time I left.

Wasn't the 3010 pretty decent with such issues, I know they exist to some extent on all LCD projectors, but I was not aware of a major problem with the 3010.

I also thought they only generally show as green, but its very interesting the dealer you were at told you he thought it was a dust blob, even though it is pink/purple....sounds exactly like mine.

I am going to take the projector down tonight off the ceiilng mount, tilt it around a bit etc. and put it back up.

its odd, the pink spot does seem to have gotten smaller from when I first noticed it, and hopefully this is just a fluke.

Epson is willing to swap it out, but I just hope the 3020 is going to be more trouble free than this....because even though Epson warranty service is excellent....its still a hassle swapping out, putting back on mount etc etc.

I'll follow up again soon tonight.

I have about 4-5 hours on it and would probably have to pay a restocking fee thru Visual Apex now...if I were to switch to something with a sealed light path like the Optoma HD 33.

But my screen is already mounted, etc. and I'd have to move that because the DLP image begins a full 8" below the center of the lens on the HD33 etc etc.

I hope projectors are more trouble free than this....
post #107 of 1057
Just call epson..they will have a brand new one to you tomorrow...epson's customer service it truly the best I have ever seen. For whatever its worth, I have seen no such blobs on my 3020.
post #108 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman600 View Post

Just call epson..they will have a brand new one to you tomorrow...epson's customer service it truly the best I have ever seen. For whatever its worth, I have seen no such blobs on my 3020.

Snowman600 is correct. Epson Customer Service is the best. If you have a lot of ghosting. Anything that looks off colour spots. Blue Artifacts...something is wrong. And Epson will get you the right projector. The 3020 is (I should say mine) is in perfect condition. And the image is great. But the 3D image is the BEST I'VE EVER SEEN.
If you have a problem. Exchange it where you purchased it. Or call Epson, and within 1 or 2 days. You'll have one delivered to your door.

iMIKE THEATRE - My First Theatre Construction Project
post #109 of 1057
Hi All,
I was just wondering and this is not to get a DLP VS LCD fight going, it is more just a matter of fact to your eyes type of question.

It's a 3D question to the new owners of the Epson 3020 that have also had a chance to see 3D from a DLP Projector.
Does the Epson 3020 handle the problem of Double image/Ghosting in a 3D image, as well as DLP Projectors do ?

My last projector was a 2D DLP, and as much as I loved it and I did not see rainbows, my eyes and head always felt a little over worked after watchimg a movie. I never felt like that with my (DIY) home made LCD projector, that I had made from a broken monitor.

I want so badly to go back to LCD projection, but I want 3D this time around, and I know ghosting/double image would kill the fun of 3D for me, it always did when I would use 3D computer monitors.
post #110 of 1057
Epson is delivering a new projector now, to arrive today.

The hold charge is 1439 on my AMEX, prepaid overnight shipping both ways.

I moved the projector around a bit etc because i don't like to call in warranty service, but the pink/purple pixel spot/dust blob was not moving and was very annoying.

Just have to remount tonight and ship the old one back, hope this is a fluke.

I agree, teh 3d performance is very very good....to my eyes.
post #111 of 1057
going to check out the 5020 on Saturday. installer called and informed me they are in stock to demo. Now I need to decide which screen to go with. Original plan was to get a dalite high contrast damat grey screen, but now I'm wondering if I can pull off a white screen for daytime viewing, given the brightness of this Projector and it will be mounted at 11'8" against a 119" screen.
post #112 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doompatrol View Post

Best part about the Epson 3020 making the switch from IR glasses to RF glasses? I just bought a pair of Samsung SSG-4100GB Glasses for $19.99 at Best Buy and they work great! I'm gonna save a TON of $$ on glasses. According to Epson any glasses that have the Full HD 3D RF logo should work. So excited.

Just a quick qustion on the Samsung glasses.
When Epson 3020 users talk about being able to make adjustments to 3D settings for the 3D glasses thenselves, are those setting found physically on the new Epson RF Glasses in the form of buttons, and can't be done with 3rd party glasses like the Samsungs ? Or are those settings found in the projectors menu and can be applied to all RF 3D glasses that work with the Epson 3020, even if they are not epson branded glasses ?
post #113 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by The big picture View Post

Just a quick qustion on the Samsung glasses.
When Epson 3020 users talk about being able to make adjustments to 3D settings for the 3D glasses thenselves, are those setting found physically on the new Epson RF Glasses in the form of buttons, and can't be done with 3rd party glasses like the Samsungs ? Or are those settings found in the projectors menu and can be applied to all RF 3D glasses that work with the Epson 3020, even if they are not epson branded glasses ?

there are no settings on the glasses, just projector menus/settings.

Cnet gave the samsung avg review, but I was pleasantly suprised, they are good for $20

in fact, I wear glasses and I might say the Samsung are a ilttle more comfortable than Epson for me.

Most importantly, the picture in 3d is perfect with the Samsung.
post #114 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman69 View Post

there are no settings on the glasses, just projector menus/settings.
Cnet gave the samsung avg review, but I was pleasantly suprised, they are good for $20
in fact, I wear glasses and I might say the Samsung are a ilttle more comfortable than Epson for me.
Most importantly, the picture in 3d is perfect with the Samsung.

What is the model # for these $20 3D Glasses?
post #115 of 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k02c5 View Post

What is the model # for these $20 3D Glasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doompatrol View Post

Best part about the Epson 3020 making the switch from IR glasses to RF glasses? I just bought a pair of Samsung SSG-4100GB Glasses for $19.99 at Best Buy and they work great! I'm gonna save a TON of $$ on glasses. According to Epson any glasses that have the Full HD 3D RF logo should work. So excited.
post #116 of 1057
yep, that's right....I bought a pair at my local best buy as well for $20.

They aren't perfect due to the unique design and they seem a bit fragile, but really I highly recommend them....
post #117 of 1057
Cool. Thanks for the info on the glasses
post #118 of 1057
Thread Starter 
post #119 of 1057
What projector mounts are y'all using for the 3020? IM trying to find one and don't know which one i should buy for this model. Thanks in adv...
post #120 of 1057
I currently have the Epson 3010. From anyone who has had one, is it worth the upgrade to the 3020? Is it enough of a difference to warrant an upgrade?

Thanks
Flan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread