or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's New MakeMKV Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's New MakeMKV Guide

post #1 of 121
Thread Starter 
Just realized its been a while since I posted a new thread. Hope the forum doesn't mind that I made a new thread for it. I find the new search function very hard to use and thought this might be easier to find.

I completely redid my MakeMKV Guide (free) over at my blog. It is asked on AVS not infrequently how to use MakeMKV and I felt that I should expand this guide. This is the result. Enjoy.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide3
Edited by assassin - 10/15/12 at 6:07pm
post #2 of 121
First, thank you for taking the time to put together that free guide. Very helpful!

I just have a question on how you decided to go with the first 21.1 GB file, as you state that it's "most likely the movie". How do you know to pick that one over one of the three (larger) 21.3 GB files? And as a follow up, what would the 21.1 GB file further down the list (with no chapter listing) be?
post #3 of 121
The first large file is almost always the main movie. Other large files are probably the same movie with slgihtly different scenes included. Most movies are a collection of files that are pieced together to form one continuous video file. The director or whoever is in charge of authoring the disk can create a multitude of versions simply by adding or deleting files to the overall sequence. I've seen discs that had over a dozen different versions of the same movie. Unless you've got the patience to rip all of them and then go through each one individually, the first selection is usually the one that coincides with the original theatrical release.
post #4 of 121
Assassin - good guide and it is sometime since I used MakeMKV. Recently other users, both in JRiver and xbmc have been commenting that the display of 'forced' subtitles has not been working properly in those apps. Further investigation led to the fact that they were using MakeMKV to rip the file. Further scrutiny of the file in mkvmerge identified that the 'forced' flag had not been set correctly and user intervention was required - amending the setting using header editor to change the flag to 'forced'. As I said don't know if it is still an issue, but perhaps one worth investigating.
post #5 of 121
I have my minimum length set to 1800 seconds which is 30 minutes. This ferrets out most special features from being in the list of files to convert to mkv.

EDIT: I see you show 3600 seconds. That'll work too!
post #6 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

The first large file is almost always the main movie. Other large files are probably the same movie with slgihtly different scenes included. Most movies are a collection of files that are pieced together to form one continuous video file. The director or whoever is in charge of authoring the disk can create a multitude of versions simply by adding or deleting files to the overall sequence. I've seen discs that had over a dozen different versions of the same movie. Unless you've got the patience to rip all of them and then go through each one individually, the first selection is usually the one that coincides with the original theatrical release.

There are a few times where you go out and buy a new movie that makemkv gets confused over

These usually have BD-J protection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

It's a Java based protection scheme that supports Playlist Obfuscation, i.e. MakeMKV will show you about 10-20 different Titles that have very close file-size

Check the makemkv forums as someone will have already figured out which track you should select, and I believe they update MakeMKV often to circumvent the revisions to this as well as AACS revisions

Titles that come to mind are
  • 3:10 to Yuma
  • John Carter
  • Pirates of the Carribean
post #7 of 121

I greatly appreciate assassin's work in creating these guides. I purchased the $25 membership to his HTPC blog site to have access to all of his guides when I built my HTPC. While I had already gleaned some of the information by having done a lot of research here on AVS Forum, there were many things that I would not have known and there were many aspects of the system integration that were made much easier by having up-to-date step-by-step guides with screen shots detailing recommended options. Ripping MKVs with makemkv is a simple affair compared to integrating MPC-HC with LAV Audio filters and madvr rendering into MediaBrowser within Windows Media Center. Thankfully, assassin has a guide for that!

post #8 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Just realized its been a while since I posted a new thread. Hope the forum doesn't mind that I made a new thread for it. I find the new search function very hard to use and thought this might be easier to find.
I completely redid my MakeMKV Guide (free) over at my blog. It is asked on AVS not infrequently how to use MakeMKV and I felt that I should expand this guide. This is the result. Enjoy.
http://assassinhtpcblog.com/?page_id=39#guide3

I was looking for a note to settle the dispute about a month ago where the guidance seemed to be "Just use the DTS-HD checkbox, because it always grabs the DTS core track"

Is this the case, because I never chimed in during that discussion but prior to reading it I thought that if you were to check the DTS-HD track but go and uncheck the nested DTS 3/2-1 box you won't get the core DTS track.

Here's the thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415816/makemkv-question/

I've always left the nested audio track checkboxex checked, i.e. DTS-HD with DTS 3/2-1 and TrueHD with DD 3/2-1
post #9 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrinson View Post

Ripping MKVs with makemkv is a simple affair compared to integrating MPC-HC with LAV Audio filters and madvr rendering into MediaBrowser within Windows Media Center. Thankfully, assassin has a guide for that!

I'm also a paying viewer of his guides, and I really like the well rounded approach taken with so many different HTPC configurations.

I am curious however, did you ever check this guide out when trying to accomplish the WMC-MB-LAV-MadVR-MPC-HC configuration? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1250607/windows-7-media-center-setup-guide-knowledge-base-support/
post #10 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

There are a few times where you go out and buy a new movie that makemkv gets confused over
These usually have BD-J protection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J
It's a Java based protection scheme that supports Playlist Obfuscation, i.e. MakeMKV will show you about 10-20 different Titles that have very close file-size
Check the makemkv forums as someone will have already figured out which track you should select, and I believe they update MakeMKV often to circumvent the revisions to this as well as AACS revisions

Playlist problem is actually quite easy to figure out once you know how to:

1. Play the movie on a BD player or PC software. Wait until you are in the main movie. Write down the total movie length (hh:mm:ss) as well as number of chapters.
2. Now back to the MakeMKV playlists. There will be only one title matches the movie length exactly and chapters within 1 or 2 differences.
post #11 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I was looking for a note to settle the dispute about a month ago where the guidance seemed to be "Just use the DTS-HD checkbox, because it always grabs the DTS core track"
Is this the case, because I never chimed in during that discussion but prior to reading it I thought that if you were to check the DTS-HD track but go and uncheck the nested DTS 3/2-1 box you won't get the core DTS track.
Here's the thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415816/makemkv-question/
I've always left the nested audio track checkboxex checked, i.e. DTS-HD with DTS 3/2-1 and TrueHD with DD 3/2-1

DTS-HD MA is core + extras. So, core is always included. I always uncheck the DTS box. It ended up just like I wanted: one video track and one DTS-HD MA track. You can easily convert DTS-HD MA track to DTS afterwards. If you check both, you ended up with both audio tracks. Wasting storage space.
post #12 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Playlist problem is actually quite easy to figure out once you know how to:
1. Play the movie on a BD player or PC software. Wait until you are in the main movie. Write down the total movie length (hh:mm:ss) as well as number of chapters.
2. Now back to the MakeMKV playlists. There will be only one title matches the movie length exactly and chapters within 1 or 2 differences.

To me it's a lot easier to google search "[TITLE] makemkv forum" since I don't even keep the PS3 hooked up anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

DTS-HD MA is core + extras. So, core is always included. I always uncheck the DTS box. It ended up just like I wanted: one video track and one DTS-HD MA track. You can easily convert DTS-HD MA track to DTS afterwards. If you check both, you ended up with both audio tracks. Wasting storage space.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have both a new and old receiver, so I'd prefer to keep both. I don't want to convert later, seems like a waste of processor cycles. I think the core tracks are about 1 GB or less. Don't know what size they are for certain . . .
post #13 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

To me it's a lot easier to google search "[TITLE] makemkv forum" since I don't even keep the PS3 hooked up anymore
My BD drive comes with a copy of OEM PowerDVD to play BD movies. So that comes in handy.
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying that. I have both a new and old receiver, so I'd prefer to keep both. I don't want to convert later, seems like a waste of processor cycles. I think the core tracks are about 1 GB or less. Don't know what size they are for certain . . .

There is virutally no processing power required to extra DTS core out of DTS-HD stream. It is just a cut and paste work. No conversion needed. But that's just personal preference.
post #14 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Assassin - good guide and it is sometime since I used MakeMKV. Recently other users, both in JRiver and xbmc have been commenting that the display of 'forced' subtitles has not been working properly in those apps. Further investigation led to the fact that they were using MakeMKV to rip the file. Further scrutiny of the file in mkvmerge identified that the 'forced' flag had not been set correctly and user intervention was required - amending the setting using header editor to change the flag to 'forced'. As I said don't know if it is still an issue, but perhaps one worth investigating.
I noticed the forced subtitle issue with "The Avengers" (no subtitles in the scene where Blackwidow is 'interogating' the Russians) so it doesn't appear that the problem is fixed. I even went back and re-ripped the movie making sure the 'forced subtitles' was checked. I didn't know there was a workaround, I'll have to do some research and rip the movie again, the third time is the charm!
post #15 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WylieKylie View Post

I noticed the forced subtitle issue with "The Avengers" (no subtitles in the scene where Blackwidow is 'interogating' the Russians) so it doesn't appear that the problem is fixed. I even went back and re-ripped the movie making sure the 'forced subtitles' was checked. I didn't know there was a workaround, I'll have to do some research and rip the movie again, the third time is the charm!

No need to re-rip - download mkvtoolnix - in it there is a tool called mkvmerge, drop the file into mkvmerge, then go to File\Header Editor, choose the relevant subtitle track change the flag to 'forced', save, then file will be fit to go.
post #16 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I have my minimum length set to 1800 seconds which is 30 minutes. This ferrets out most special features from being in the list of files to convert to mkv.
EDIT: I see you show 3600 seconds. That'll work too!
I've found on some DVD's (~10%) this prevents the main feature from being identified by MakeMKV. I suspect it has something to do with the copy protection methods employed on some DVDs. I've never ripped Bluray so I don't know whether the same issue is encountered.

I leave the minimum length set high as default, and then lower it if I have problems with the main feature track not showing.
post #17 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by WylieKylie View Post

I noticed the forced subtitle issue with "The Avengers" (no subtitles in the scene where Blackwidow is 'interogating' the Russians) so it doesn't appear that the problem is fixed. I even went back and re-ripped the movie making sure the 'forced subtitles' was checked. I didn't know there was a workaround, I'll have to do some research and rip the movie again, the third time is the charm!

From the first hit on google link

Same with John Carter, you have to know which English Subtitle track to choose for the forced subtitles since they aren't flagged as forced in the same way most other discs are
post #18 of 121

Do others here have Blu-Rays where part of the main movie is in one title with the rest of the movie in another title? The Smurfs 3D Blu-Ray is one such movie. The first two minutes is in the title just before the title that one would expect to be the main movie. I can place both MKVs in MediaBrowser, and it does play the movie correctly. However, there is a brief screen blackout while MPC-HC is loading up the second part of the movie. I tried using mkvmerge to create one MKV file from the two, but mkvmerge complained about an audio track. Have others found a solution to this, or do you just live with the movie spread across two files? Thanks!

post #19 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrinson View Post

Do others here have Blu-Rays where part of the main movie is in one title with the rest of the movie in another title? The Smurfs 3D Blu-Ray is one such movie. The first two minutes is in the title just before the title that one would expect to be the main movie. I can place both MKVs in MediaBrowser, and it does play the movie correctly. However, there is a brief screen blackout while MPC-HC is loading up the second part of the movie. I tried using mkvmerge to create one MKV file from the two, but mkvmerge complained about an audio track. Have others found a solution to this, or do you just live with the movie spread across two files? Thanks!

You probably extracted the wrong title. A lot of movies these days use fake titles/playlist to throw you off track. If you grab the wrong title, often it contains wrong segments (sometimes out of order) of the movie. You need to identify the correct title/playlist to extract using either online resource or the trick I posted above. MakeMKV itself won't tell you which one is the real title.
post #20 of 121
I will check it out... I am a MAKE MKV junkie.. lol.
post #21 of 121
I wish when you opened the files up in MakeMKV all items were unchecked vs. checked.....alot easier to check off what you want then to go uncheck all tiems. I know you can select "uncheck all" per title but it doesn't work on the subtitles part.
post #22 of 121
On these BluRays that have a bunch of similar size titles can you find out which is the right one like you can for DVDs? For DVDs you can just play the DVD (in any hardware or software player) and turn on the On Screen Display. The TitleSet shown is the one you want to rip.
post #23 of 121
I've found that the first title in the list is usually the correct one. I always do a cursory check of the mkv file using VLC Media Player on my main PC before I transfer the file over to my server.
post #24 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

On these BluRays that have a bunch of similar size titles can you find out which is the right one like you can for DVDs? For DVDs you can just play the DVD (in any hardware or software player) and turn on the On Screen Display. The TitleSet shown is the one you want to rip.

Supposedly, but only if you have a blu ray player handy or a software player that supports BR playback TMT5/PowerDVD

It's not always the first one. You need to know the correct mlps number, and you can do that by Google searching "which title [Movie Title] makemkv forums"

Someone else has always figured it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I've found that the first title in the list is usually the correct one. I always do a cursory check of the mkv file using VLC Media Player on my main PC before I transfer the file over to my server.

Why not just rip the file to your server? Still perform cursory check when it's done, but if your wired to your sever there is no reason not to rip straight to your server share. Current BD drives don't come anywhere near saturating your LAN speed
post #25 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I wish when you opened the files up in MakeMKV all items were unchecked vs. checked.....alot easier to check off what you want then to go uncheck all tiems. I know you can select "uncheck all" per title but it doesn't work on the subtitles part.

YES !!!

YES!!!!!!!!!
post #26 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I wish when you opened the files up in MakeMKV all items were unchecked vs. checked.....alot easier to check off what you want then to go uncheck all tiems. I know you can select "uncheck all" per title but it doesn't work on the subtitles part.


I usually only want the main movie file... with the best audio track, no subtitles. That would make my job so much easier.
post #27 of 121
Don't you want the forced subs, though?
post #28 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Don't you want the forced subs, though?

No I almost never copy any subs.

And I don't want subs on my screen ever.

But I am second guessing that since my hearing is not too good.. and will get worse with age like my dad.

Plus if I share with him- he would want.

I might start leaving subs checked.

But usually.. I do not . I uncheck them.

I think you can ad subtitles and sub files later.. can't you ?
post #29 of 121
Seriously - never?

Some of your movie watching experiences must be quite bizarre - unless you are fluent in languages other than the native soundtrack of the movie you are watching (native Navii speaker are we tongue.gif).

The Godfather for example - unless you are fluent in Italian, must be really interesting. There are occasions where subs are a necessity unless of course you are avoiding films where they are a needed - which includes some of the biggest box-office success of all-time.
post #30 of 121
And a whole bunch of foriegn language films that aren't in English at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's New MakeMKV Guide