or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's New MakeMKV Guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Assassin's New MakeMKV Guide - Page 2

post #31 of 121
BTW, Yes you can grab a sub track from sites such as subscene or you can rip it out of the brd but then you have to mux it back into the mkv using mkvmergegui. Whereas if you just rip it the first time it is in there but can be toggled off if you know how.
post #32 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Seriously - never?
Some of your movie watching experiences must be quite bizarre - unless you are fluent in languages other than the native soundtrack of the movie you are watching (native Navii speaker are we tongue.gif).
The Godfather for example - unless you are fluent in Italian, must be really interesting. There are occasions where subs are a necessity unless of course you are avoiding films where they are a needed - which includes some of the biggest box-office success of all-time.

I remember the first movie I ever copied to my iPhone using Handbrake. It just so happened to be Traffic, and I didn't hard encode the subs. I think I watched it on an airplane, and I couldn't understand a third of the movie (which is in Spanish).
post #33 of 121
There's nothing worse than sitting down to watch a movie then realising you've forgotten to rip the relevant subs biggrin.gif.

Like sammy says's can't understand why you wouldn't do it in the first place and toggle/hide the sub streams, rather than realise they were missing and have to hunt them down and then remux them to the container. Each to their own I suppose.
post #34 of 121
Exactly. I used to uncheck the subs in MakeMKV if I thought the movie was in English. Problem was there were occasionally sections where someone was speaking a foreign language and I had no clue what they were saying. Now I rip the English subs and forced subs on every movie. Even if you turn off the main subs the forced subs should still come through.
post #35 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I wish when you opened the files up in MakeMKV all items were unchecked vs. checked.....alot easier to check off what you want then to go uncheck all tiems. I know you can select "uncheck all" per title but it doesn't work on the subtitles part.

You can configure MakeMKV to select (or not) almost anything you want.

Under the "General" tab, enable "Expert mode".

Under the "Advanced" tab, edit the "Default selection rule".

Here's mine:
Code:
-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:havemulti,-sel:havelossless,+sel:(core*(favlang|nolang)),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang

I have my favorite language configured as "eng"
post #36 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Sub only annoy me. I have no need for them.
i will never want them on my screen.

Same here.

Sub or not is purely personal perference. I have not found any situation that I need a subtitle to ruine the picture. Invest in a couple of good headsets. Audio is as important as video in a movie.
post #37 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Same here.
Sub or not is purely personal perference. I have not found any situation that I need a subtitle to ruine the picture. Invest in a couple of good headsets. Audio is as important as video in a movie.

Watching a movie without audio is totally crappy... I agree.
post #38 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

What are you guys talking about?
You make no sense at all.
I copy only the english audio track. I deselect all the other languages in makeMKV.
I deselect all the subs.
I never copy extras, or the intro or anything.
I just want the movie file- main movie- IN ENGLISH. Period Stop. I copy only the English Audio- usually the best of the available 5.1 options in english.
Where are you getting your movies that they are not available with an English Track >?????
I copy the main movie in english, no subs. Period. Stop.
if I can't do that- it's probably not worth the effort to MAKEMKV it anyways. I am not interested in anything else.
LOL - and we make no sense.

What part are you having trouble with?

There's either something seriously wrong with your comprehension levels or you're on a trolling mission - I think the second.

Sometimes you cannot avoid the need for subs - its hardly rocket science, No one said there wasn't an available ENGLISH track, just the opposite, but just sometimes a sub track is required to make the movie watchable and to understand the storyline. I ask again are you a native Naavi, or Italian speaker.

You really need to read the previous responses before placing 'foot in mouth'.

Now convinced Foxbat's at the same game - don't feed the trolls.
post #39 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Same here.
Sub or not is purely personal perference. I have not found any situation that I need a subtitle to ruine the picture. Invest in a couple of good headsets. Audio is as important as video in a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Sub only annoy me. I have no need for them.
i will never want them on my screen.

LOL, try watching John Carter without subs and maybe you'll understand


Some releases fix this on their own, i.e. LOTR Extended editions burn in the Elvish and Mordor subtitles so you know what they're saying

Others like John Carter, Traffic, Babel, etc. leave you guessing what the heck is going on when they're not speaking English. I always try to get them if it was something that would have been included when you watch it in THEATRES
post #40 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

You can configure MakeMKV to select (or not) almost anything you want.
Under the "General" tab, enable "Expert mode".
Under the "Advanced" tab, edit the "Default selection rule".
Here's mine:
Code:
-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:havemulti,-sel:havelossless,+sel:(core*(favlang|nolang)),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang
I have my favorite language configured as "eng"

I just wanted to deselect everything

-sel:all worked for all the nested checkboxes, but every single title remains checked. I would have thought it would deselect everything
post #41 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

LOL, try watching John Carter without subs and maybe you'll understand

I have no problem with John Carter without sub at all smile.gif
post #42 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I have no problem with John Carter without sub at all smile.gif

Guess your from Mars and fluent in Fark ? biggrin.gif
post #43 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Guess your from Mars and fluent in Fark ? biggrin.gif

The movie the dumb enough that I don't have to understand it smile.gif
post #44 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post


I just wanted to deselect everything

-sel:all worked for all the nested checkboxes, but every single title remains checked. I would have thought it would deselect everything

The selection logic works for each title, so there is no logic to select or deselect titles. But it takes 2 seconds to right-click on a title and choose unselect all.
post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

The selection logic works for each title, so there is no logic to select or deselect titles. But it takes 2 seconds to right-click on a title and choose unselect all.

The above line already accomplishes this. It's more of a problem when you're trying to deselect the 30+ fake titles on some discs, and it'd be easier to just select the right one. It takes a lot longer than 2 seconds to accomplish this task when you are trying to either use a phone as a trackpad/mouse or a dinovo edge touch-circle

It's only been annoying for a very small number of titles, so not really worth the effort to fix
post #46 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

The above line already accomplishes this. It's more of a problem when you're trying to deselect the 30+ fake titles on some discs, and it'd be easier to just select the right one. It takes a lot longer than 2 seconds to accomplish this task when you are trying to either use a phone as a trackpad/mouse or a dinovo edge touch-circle

No, you are confused. I already told you, you right-click on a title and unselect all if you want to unselect all the titles. You can still use the selection rule to deselect everything underneath the titles.
post #47 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

There's either something seriously wrong with your comprehension levels or you're on a trolling mission - I think the second.

I think it is probably the first. I don't think he understands forced subtitles, but it is probably not worth it to try to explain.
post #48 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

I think it is probably the first. I don't think he understands forced subtitles, but it is probably not worth it to try to explain.

Agreed
post #49 of 121
With the newest version of MakeMKV, do we not need the TMT DTS codec installed anymore?
post #50 of 121
Favelle - what did you have that installed for?
post #51 of 121
Mfusick - I get why you think subtitles are annoying (my wife can't stand them either). The sad part is that you're limiting your viewing pleasure to English-speaking movies only. There's a wealth of quality movies out there that are in other languages. In fact, I find that many foreign movies are far superior than most of the crap that Hollywood churns out. You won't find your big budget, special effects-laden sci-fi action movies here, but mostly stories that simply entertain and involve you with the characters, although there are foreign films that are spreading out into many more categories than ever before. Personally, I prefer the original sound track with subtitles vs. dubbed movies, simply because I can't stand listening to the voices of most dubbed soundtracks that are out of synch with the lips of the person doing the talking. They also don't capture the feel and emotion of the original actors. Dubbed soundtracks tend to suck pretty bad with respect to the original, regardless of what language is spoken.

Just my 2 cents.
post #52 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Well- If I get a foriegn movie like IP MAN.. I leave the subtitles on. Sure.
But I am just saying it's an exception. most of my movies are english and I don't bother subtitles for those.
The only problem with that logic is that although a movie is perceived to be primarily English, there are sometimes segments where foreign languages are spoken. Without (forced) subtitles or the ability to speak the language, you're left out in the cold during those segments of the film. I've run into that problem more times than I can count. I now rip English subtitles with every movie, regardless of the primary spoken language. If subtitles aren't required, it's simple enough to turn them off. Any forced subtitles will still be displayed.
post #53 of 121
I keep the English subtitles. What's a few MegaBytes of storage cost these days???
post #54 of 121
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

The only problem with that logic is that although a movie is perceived to be primarily English, there are sometimes segments where foreign languages are spoken. Without (forced) subtitles or the ability to speak the language, you're left out in the cold during those segments of the film. I've run into that problem more times than I can count. I now rip English subtitles with every movie, regardless of the primary spoken language. If subtitles aren't required, it's simple enough to turn them off. Any forced subtitles will still be displayed.

Exactly.

There is no reason not to include the subtitles. They take almost no storage space and are nice to have even for English movies like Avatar, Taken, etc that have a good portion of the scenes where they are needed to understand what is going on. Also they come in handy in noisy places like small airplanes, cars, airports, etc if you take your media on the go.
post #55 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Well- If I get a foriegn movie like IP MAN.. I leave the subtitles on. Sure.
But I am just saying it's an exception. most of my movies are english and I don't bother subtitles for those.

I think you're still missing what people are saying...

You say you don't want subtitles on the screen, but what about when you're watching a movie like Avatar? Where characters aren't even speaking a human language of any kind?

Are you honestly telling us you don't want any subtitles translating the Navi language so you can understand what the dialog is?
post #56 of 121
I always rip the English subtitiles but not other languages because I can't read them anyhow.. I can turn them off or on during playback but they are available to me.
post #57 of 121
You haven't quite grasped this yet have you lol. biggrin.gif

The fact that you watched Avatar without subtitles proves that not to be the case. There are very few 'burned in to video' subtitles - the seperate forced streams still require to be ripped. Even for extra subtitle streams set your preferences to English and you'll only get one set pre defined. Your player can then be set to ignore all subtitles except the 'forced' ones, therefore you never see them, but the beauty is, you haven't had to make any changes to MakeMKV other than rip the file - which was your initial gripe.
post #58 of 121
In my experience, it's a treasure chest when the required foreign language forced subs are burned into the video [i.e. not usual]

It never hurts to check, the google docs spreadsheet that a user on this forum keeps updated has never let me down. Good reference for which titles contained burned in subs vs which track is needed when they are obscure

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1176923/movies-with-forced-subtitles/
post #59 of 121
So can someone help me out with LoTR extended and forced subs. Specifically the first movie. I've ripped it twice trying to only get the forced subs and once I got nothing, the next time I got the whole movie with eng subs which I don't want. I only want the non human parts. I tried a search of their forums but that leads to most people wanting to merge the 2 part discs into 1 mkv.

Thxs
post #60 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0R0 View Post

So can someone help me out with LoTR extended and forced subs. Specifically the first movie. I've ripped it twice trying to only get the forced subs and once I got nothing, the next time I got the whole movie with eng subs which I don't want. I only want the non human parts. I tried a search of their forums but that leads to most people wanting to merge the 2 part discs into 1 mkv.
Thxs
Think it depends on which region Bluray you have

  • - US - Burned In
  • - UK/EU - Seperate

Appreciate that doesn't really help much, but if its American you can happily rip without subs.

EDIT - Which version do you have? If you want I have a source for the 'elvish' subs, but they will be in srt format and will have to be muxed with your rip - pm me and I'll send them to you.
Edited by steelman1991 - 10/29/12 at 1:32pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Assassin's New MakeMKV Guide