or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Report: SSDs Rapidly Dropping in Price !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: SSDs Rapidly Dropping in Price !!!

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Report: SSDs Rapidly Dropping in Price

Report: SSDs Rapidly Dropping in Price

We have been waiting for a reasonable mainstream affordability since then, but it appears that we are now able to seriously consider solid state storage for computers even for those on a budget.
buffalo-ssd-ssd-ns-pm3p,E-9-328401-1.jpg
Dealnews analyzed SSD prices and concluded that high-capacity SSDs are now matching smaller drives in a per-GB price. According to the publication, per GB prices of 256 GB drives plunged from $1.37 in January to currently $0.48, which closely matches the 64 GB SSD per-GB price of $0.47. Of course, that price is still a far cry from HDDs, which currently sell for $0.07 per GB on the street ($65 for a mainstream, 1 TB HDD).

HDD makers still consider the $65 price point as mainstream, but SSDs that sell for as low as $120 are not as much a luxury anymore as they once were. Their benefits especially in specialty hardware, such as ultrabooks, may outweigh their premium for many users. Even if SSDs are still much more expensive than capacity-comparable HDDs, there are drives that may be large and cheap enough for a lot of customers

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-price,18470.html

AT THIS POINT IT IS ABSOLUTELY REALITY THAT NO ONE SHOULD EVER USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN SSD FOR A BOOT OS DRIVE!!!

I see SSD's that are appropriate for a OS drive advertised as low as $29, and given this no excuse exists to own, build or operate at PC with anything else.
post #2 of 44
Um yeah, guess you haven't been following the market. I got a 128GB Samsung 830 on sale at newegg for $140 about 6 months ago, and now it's routinely $80. That's a huge drop for a great SSD.
post #3 of 44
post #4 of 44
Not exactly, I didn't put an SSD in my gaming box because its not required. I spent more on the GPU (mmm, 7950) rather than a SSD. For an office box, certainly. I put a 256GB Samsung 840 in and its well worth it. Its not a dead set rule though.
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Hmm.
Where have I seen this before?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407836/ssd-prices-to-drop-even-more

Twilight Zone .... maybe tongue.gif
post #6 of 44
Now if HDD prices would go back down. I'd like another 3tb.
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Now if HDD prices would go back down. I'd like another 3tb.

Pffft, I want 6TB now for less than $299 in a single 3.5" drive.
post #8 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Now if HDD prices would go back down. I'd like another 3tb.

Costco 3TB seagates for $119 is best value going now. No rebates. No shipping.

I bought more than a few.
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Costco 3TB seagates for $119 is best value going now. No rebates. No shipping.
I bought more than a few.

If you have a Costco of course.
post #10 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

If you have a Costco of course.

I see it online sometimes too...

Costco dot com
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I see it online sometimes too...
Costco dot com

The problem with that is you need to have a Costco membership in order to actually order somethine from their site. If you don't even have a Costco store near you, I don't know WTH you have a membership for smile.gif
post #12 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The problem with that is you need to have a Costco membership in order to actually order somethine from their site. If you don't even have a Costco store near you, I don't know WTH you have a membership for smile.gif

Yup.

Then your looking $140ish online...
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yup.
Then your looking $140ish online...

Missed the $120 Amazon deal while I was on vacation, frontpage on slickdeals . . mad.gif

Waiting for another, but having a hard time choosing not to go for the 128GB Samsung 830 for $70

Since the 840 pro is taking production, I wonder how long the 830 stock will last?
post #14 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Missed the $120 Amazon deal while I was on vacation, frontpage on slickdeals . . mad.gif
Waiting for another, but having a hard time choosing not to go for the 128GB Samsung 830 for $70
Since the 840 pro is taking production, I wonder how long the 830 stock will last?

I hear you but I don't see SSD getting more expensive by any significant amount and I am sure once the 830 is sold out the 840 will drop.

Personally- I would get the 840 since it has the new Nand in it- and performance is increased.

I am looking for a 256GB 840 for $150-$180. When I find it- it's mine.

I have a MAX IOPS 120GB now in my Desktop. I also had dual SSD 120GB Vertex 3's in RAID 0 as an alternate boot. - and I really liked the 240GB size. It allows me to do things from SSD more, like downloads and installs. Lets me enjoy the SSD performance, and install more games and things.

RAID0 is stupid fast- But I think I would be happy with a realiable easy to set up single 256GB SSD. But at this point I am in no rush so I don't want something that is not at least faster and bigger for a good price.

840 caught my eye.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I hear you but I don't see SSD getting more expensive by any significant amount and I am sure once the 830 is sold out the 840 will drop.

Personally- I would get the 840 since it has the new Nand in it- and performance is increased.

I am looking for a 256GB 840 for $150-$180. When I find it- it's mine.

840 caught my eye.

Do you mean the 840 or the 840 Pro? I'm actually wary about the new 840 since it uses newer, presumably less reliable TLC NAND (the 840 Pro uses 21nm MLC NAND). The 840 is also not across the board faster compared to the 830. In some cases, the 830 is faster, in some cases the 840 is.
post #16 of 44
I purchased a 256GB Samsung 830 yesterday from Amazon for $155.
post #17 of 44
I just saw the OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD on Tiger Direct for $69.99 (probably after MIR), I've bought a couple of the 90GB version at Micro Center for $60.
post #18 of 44
The 830 are a damn good deal for the moment.

I would stick to the 830 or 840 pro from samsung until people do enough torture tests on TLC nand to see how they hold up. SLC/MLC are fairly well documented now, barring other kinds of drive failures. (cough OCZ cough)

It will take a few months to actually write a petabyte or two anyways.
post #19 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post

I just saw the OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD on Tiger Direct for $69.99 (probably after MIR), I've bought a couple of the 90GB version at Micro Center for $60.

It was $59 a few days ago... $79-$20 Mail in Rebate.

120GB vertex 3 for $59 is a steal !

you can RAID0 two and make a nice 240GB drive that's stupid fast for $120
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It was $59 a few days ago... $79-$20 Mail in Rebate.
120GB vertex 3 for $59 is a steal !
you can RAID0 two and make a nice 240GB drive that's stupid fast for $120

Happier with the $69 Samsung 830 128GB deal. $10 more but performance is the same with both compressed and uncompressed data and I don't have to deal with rebate hassles. I always end up not saving the rebates nowadays since they give you a Visa card instead of check and I tend to just use the card to buy more tech stuff. tongue.gif
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Happier with the $69 Samsung 830 128GB deal. $10 more but performance is the same with both compressed and uncompressed data and I don't have to deal with rebate hassles. I always end up not saving the rebates nowadays since they give you a Visa card instead of check and I tend to just use the card to buy more tech stuff. tongue.gif


Who is offering this deal.....link?
post #22 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Happier with the $69 Samsung 830 128GB deal. $10 more but performance is the same with both compressed and uncompressed data and I don't have to deal with rebate hassles. I always end up not saving the rebates nowadays since they give you a Visa card instead of check and I tend to just use the card to buy more tech stuff. tongue.gif

where are you seeing that.

I saw it was $89.

For $69 I might grab a samsung too (although the Vertex3 is more solid in RAID0)

$10 and as a single drive- Sammy is a nice choice.

For $30 more when the Vertex is only $59 - It's not worth the extra $
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

where are you seeing that.

I saw it was $89.

For $69 I might grab a samsung too (although the Vertex3 is more solid in RAID0)

$10 and as a single drive- Sammy is a nice choice.

For $30 more when the Vertex is only $59 - It's not worth the extra $

Amazon and Newegg both had it on sale for $69 last Thursday. Already have 3x 830 128GB on hand so picked up another to play with. Planning to compare performance of 4-way 128GB RAID-0 on SATA2 vs 2-way 256GB RAID-0 on SATA3. It'll be interesting to see which set-up would come out ahead.
post #24 of 44
The Samsung 830 64GB was $49.99 this morning at Newegg.com. I put my order in around 7:45am and just got an email saying "sorry, it was actually out of stock".
post #25 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

The Samsung 830 64GB was $49.99 this morning at Newegg.com. I put my order in around 7:45am and just got an email saying "sorry, it was actually out of stock".


I have decided that 64GB is of little to no use to me whatsoever.

120GB+.

The next one I buy will be 250ish.. sized.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Amazon and Newegg both had it on sale for $69 last Thursday. Already have 3x 830 128GB on hand so picked up another to play with. Planning to compare performance of 4-way 128GB RAID-0 on SATA2 vs 2-way 256GB RAID-0 on SATA3. It'll be interesting to see which set-up would come out ahead.

I've seen some test on YouTube with (4) Intel 530's I think (128GB) and on Storage Reviews when they did two Seagate Hybrids (2nd Gen) 750GB's in RAID0. In the YT vidoe they used a LSi RAID card, it was marginally faster than the onboard Intel chipset.

In any event, RAID made a big different in both reviews with Windows Media Center and other programs that use files like it does. That is why I am going to double up on Agility 3 60GB I already have and add a second one in the near future and do RAID0 as well.

I predict BF 2012 will have $100 or less 240GB/256GB Value SDD's, especially now that 60-64GB have dropped to $50 and 120-128GB is $70-$90 nominally now (no rebates). Lowest price on 240GB is $140 after rebate and 256GB is $170.
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

I've seen some test on YouTube with (4) Intel 530's I think (128GB) and on Storage Reviews when they did two Seagate Hybrids (2nd Gen) 750GB's in RAID0. In the YT vidoe they used a LSi RAID card, it was marginally faster than the onboard Intel chipset.

Not exactly what I'm planning to test. Planning on using onboard RAID for all my tests. Just trying to see if 4-way SATA II RAID-0 will be able to match 2-way SATA III RAID-0 since most Intel motherboards have a max of 2 SATA III ports so if you plan on doing more than 2 drives in RAID-0, you automatically get bumped to SATA II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

In any event, RAID made a big different in both reviews with Windows Media Center and other programs that use files like it does. That is why I am going to double up on Agility 3 60GB I already have and add a second one in the near future and do RAID0 as well.

I don't think you realize how exactly Storage Reviews runs their HTPC benchmark. Basically, they take the HDD traces over a 15 minute period and just test how fast the SSDs can finish the entire task. However, regardless of how fast your SSD is, it's not like you can record a 30-minute show in 6 seconds or watch a 2.5-hour Blu-ray movie in 30 seconds. In real world HTPC usage, there won't be any difference unless you've found a way to fast forward through the time-space continuum.
Quote:
The first real-life test is our HTPC scenario. In this test we include: playing one 720P HD movie in Media Player Classic, one 480P SD movie playing in VLC, three movies downloading simultaneously through iTunes, and one 1080i HDTV stream being recorded through Windows Media Center over a 15 minute period. Higher IOps and MB/s rates with lower latency times are preferred. In this trace we recorded 2,986MB being written to the drive and 1,924MB being read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

I predict BF 2012 will have $100 or less 240GB/256GB Value SDD's, especially now that 60-64GB have dropped to $50 and 120-128GB is $70-$90 nominally now (no rebates). Lowest price on 240GB is $140 after rebate and 256GB is $170.

Lowest price I've seen for 240GB after rebate is $120 (Agility 3 240GB) and $140 before rebate (Intel 330 240GB). For 256GB models, I've seen both the Crucial m4 and Samsung 830 dip down to $150 on sale. *sigh* Too bad sales on 512GB models are pretty rare. I have a couple more laptops I'd like to upgrade and I haven't been able to catch another 512GB for $350 on the Crucial m4. Did see the Agility 4 512GB for $280 but given I tend to abuse my SSDs, I'm wary about getting an OCZ drive.
post #28 of 44
I stay away from RAID0 whenever possible...it doubles your chances of losing everything.
post #29 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I stay away from RAID0 whenever possible...it doubles your chances of losing everything.

Lol, my planned set-up is even riskier: live data on 20-24GB RAMDisk flushed to an image on a 2-way SATA III SSD (most likely the Samsung 830 256GB) RAID-0 array when unmounted.

Of course, PC will be connected to a UPS (CyberPower PFC 900W/1500VA to give sufficient runtime for writing) and planning on doing frequent backups to a VelociRaptor 1TB RAID-1 (or if I can find less expensive mechanical drives capable of hitting 200MB/s sequential, then RAID-1 of those). tongue.gif
post #30 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Not exactly what I'm planning to test. Planning on using onboard RAID for all my tests. Just trying to see if 4-way SATA II RAID-0 will be able to match 2-way SATA III RAID-0 since most Intel motherboards have a max of 2 SATA III ports so if you plan on doing more than 2 drives in RAID-0, you automatically get bumped to SATA II..

Are you talking for SSD and OS or for HDD and storage?

In storage- the 4 x SATAII with RAID0 is no contest faster since the SATAII spec is faster than the HDD anyhow- and adding 4 drives to split the read and writes will be faster than only 2.

In RAID 0 for SSD it's a different story.

If your looking at cheap low end SSD's like an AGILITY for instance- the cheap NAND is limited in bandwidth and can't saturate a SATA II port. That is why they are slower with the same exact controller as a faster TOGGLE NAND device. In this scenario with cheaper SSD's the 4 way will be faster because your not saturating the port and your making up for the limited NAND performance by splitting across more with simultaneous writes/reads.

however- I believe on a faster higher end larger capacity SSD- say two 256GB type- The dual SATA3 drives would be faster. Because a larger faster SSD can saturate the SATAII port.



My guess is that a 512GB SSD RAID 0 array on SATA3 is quite a bit faster than a 512GB 128GBx4 RAID 0 array on SATA II

I think it makes sense to to possibly go with a cheapo 64GB SSD x 4 for a ncie 256GB drive... if you can pick up SSD's for under $50 each it makes the total cost about a 256GB stand alone. But anything beyond cheap SSD's I'd probably just use 2 drives and go the SATA3 route.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Report: SSDs Rapidly Dropping in Price !!!