or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest - Page 59

post #1741 of 2737

How about this one.

Not that old, but sorely underappreciated:

 

 

Small hint:

 


Edited by LastButNotLeast - 9/2/13 at 7:26am
post #1742 of 2737
Hachi: A Dog's Tale...we are suckers for dog movies around here. smile.gif
post #1743 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hachi: A Dog's Tale...we are suckers for dog movies around here. smile.gif

 

 

Yes! Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity.

Suckers, maybe, but I didn't see it mentioned before.

This is a must-see for anyone who's ever been loved by a dog.

Netflix has it on BD.

You can thank me later.

Michael

post #1744 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Place Beyond the Pines

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 9/5/13 at 10:32am
post #1745 of 2737
Name that movie.



Hint: It's a foreign film from the 90's.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Tit and the Moon (La Teta y la Luna) - 1994

Edited by Mr.G - 9/9/13 at 10:39am
post #1746 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Name that movie.

Hint: It's a foreign film from the 90's.

I don't know, but it's making me sick just looking at it. Ewww!!

Long shot here: Fiorile.
post #1747 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:



-Bill

Looks like The Place Beyond the Pines - 2012

Is there a review coming?
post #1748 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I don't know, but it's making me sick just looking at it. Ewww!!

biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post


Long shot here: Fiorile.

Well Fiorile is foreign and from the 90's - but no.
post #1749 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Name that movie.



Hint: It's a foreign film from the 90's.

Is that Leolo?
post #1750 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Looks like The Place Beyond the Pines - 2012

Is there a review coming?

Yes, with Eva Mendes on the right.

I can't review it for another 25 years, but in brief: a well-made drama, but once only for me. Not an action picture or thriller, although there are bank robberies and chase scenes. No heroes or villains, just folks screwed up as they often are.

-Bill
post #1751 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Well Fiorile is foreign and from the 90's - but no.

Hey, I said it was a long shot!

I have a rationale for why I thought it might be that movie, but it's too convoluted and given that I was wrong, you probably don't want to hear it. smile.gif
post #1752 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Dead Pool

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 9/5/13 at 3:05pm
post #1753 of 2737
The Dead Pool, 1988
post #1754 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post

The Dead Pool, 1988

Holy Moly! That's a record fast response.

Junkie Jim Carrey. Clint does not approve:

Lavc54.86.100

No review. If I can't say something nice I'd rather say nothing at all.

-Bill
post #1755 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by V'ger View Post

The Dead Pool, 1988

Holy Moly! That's a record fast response.

Junkie Jim Carrey. Clint does not approve:

Lavc54.86.100

No review. If I can't say something nice I'd rather say nothing at all.

-Bill

Looked like the forum was having problems posting the pic - I didn't see anything at all until refreshing a couple of time. Thought it was a meta-trap-for-the-unwary...
post #1756 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Is that Leolo?

No my friend, not as depressing as Leolo.
post #1757 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Name that movie.



Hint: It's a foreign film from the 90's.

Another screenshot from the movie.

post #1758 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Silver Linings Playbook

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 9/6/13 at 12:00pm
post #1759 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:



-Bill

Silver Linings Playbook.
post #1760 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Silver Linings Playbook.

Correct!

-Bill
post #1761 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
On the Waterfront

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 9/8/13 at 6:10am
post #1762 of 2737
A wild guess here.

Psycho
post #1763 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

A wild guess here.

Psycho

Sorry, no.

-Bill
post #1764 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

-Bill

Baby Doll
post #1765 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegm Hankie View Post

Baby Doll

No, but that's a plausible guess, given actress, era, and clothing. I reviewed it a few years ago: Baby Doll (1956).

And: welcome to the game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

A wild guess here.

Psycho

I'll add a hint: the actress shown was a Hitchcock blonde once, so you are not far off.

I reviewed Psycho here: Psycho (1960).

-Bill
post #1766 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

-Bill

On The Waterfront.

One of several young blonde women in white slips that find themselves in Elia Kazan movies. Seems Hitch wasn't the only film director with an obsession with blondes of a certain type and look. hehe.
post #1767 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchfan View Post

On The Waterfront.

One of several young blonde women in white slips that find themselves in Elia Kazan movies. Seems Hitch wasn't the only film director with an obsession with blondes of a certain type and look. hehe.

Introducing Eva Marie Saint. I should have mentioned the Kazan connection with Baby Doll.

Aspect ratio was not a good clue on this one, since it was commonly seen in 1.33, 1.66, and 1.85. The Criterion disc has a nice little extra showing how it was framed in anticipation of all of those.

Welcome to the game!

-Bill
post #1768 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Introducing Eva Marie Saint. I should have mentioned the Kazan connection with Baby Doll.

Aspect ratio was not a good clue on this one, since it was commonly seen in 1.33, 1.66, and 1.85. The Criterion disc has a nice little extra showing how it was framed in anticipation of all of those.

Welcome to the game!

-Bill

Thanks! I just received the Criterion blu-ray of it. The 1.66 version is so much more satisfying than the 1.33 version I'd seen so often on television and in revival theater showings over the years. But the 1.85 just cuts out too much of those incomparable locations. The movie really gets better and better with each viewing. Sad to hear the ongoing criticism of the Malden/priest scenes being the "weakest" or "the most embarrassing" in the movie. They are so powerful from a moral standpoint, regardless of whatever uncomfortable overt religiosity some might feel in them. Can't imagine On The Waterfront being nearly as memorable without that scene and speech by Karl Malden in the hole after the dock worker is killed, yet so many critics seem to wish it had been cut.
post #1769 of 2737
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Boxcar Bertha (1972)

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 9/8/13 at 11:52am
post #1770 of 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

-Bill

Wild guess: Boxcar Bertha?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest