or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest - Page 11

post #301 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

Rio Grande

Ok, but we need a rotation system after the trap is sprung. Like being in the penalty box.

-Bill
post #302 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:



-Bill
Ah, Cutter's Way?
post #303 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:



-Bill
Ah, Cutter's Way?

Amazing!

Review here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259578/review-films-of-the-1980s-here/120#post_22606491

-Bill
post #304 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Amazing!

Review here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259578/review-films-of-the-1980s-here/120#post_22606491

-Bill
Yes, my film identification powers are so astounding that awarding me a point in this case would be de trop.




But, for a moment there, I did wonder if you were messing with our heads.

Again.wink.gif
post #305 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

But, for a moment there, I did wonder if you were messing with our heads.

The old double-bluff. Sometimes the lack of trickery is another form of cruel deception.

* * *

Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hysteria

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 11/21/12 at 8:48am
post #306 of 2740
Name that movie:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Ruggles of Red Gap

Edited by RUR - 11/21/12 at 10:59am
post #307 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

-Bill

Hysteria.
post #308 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

-Bill

Hysteria.

Correct! Victorian romantic comedy about the invention of the Girl's Best Friend, recently on Blu-ray.

-Bill
post #309 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Name that movie:

Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)

I probably saw it growing up on black and white TV but honestly don't remember anything other than Charlie Ruggles' face which lead me to the movie title.

- G
post #310 of 2740
That is correct!

Ironically, the ubiquitous Charlie is not the titular Ruggles, a displaced english manservant played by Charles Laughton.
post #311 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Sphere

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 11/25/12 at 12:17pm
post #312 of 2740
I have a strong guess but with an assist from Google, but not the reverse image lookup. I will pm Bill to see if it is within the rules.
post #313 of 2740
Thread Starter 
My ruling: If no one has recognized the image by 24 hours from now, you get it.

* * *

The rules are flexible and ill-defined, something like Calvinball.

Someone who recognizes an image deserves the point more than someone who researches it, and that person has earned it more than someone who has a direct lookup technique.

But, if no one recognizes it within some reasonable period of time, then research becomes justifiable.

I propose:

(1) Whoever posts a challenge can state whatever rules they want.
(2) Obeying the rules is on the honor system. This is the one place in the universe where I know it will work.
(3) The general rules for my challenges are:
  • Direct lookups are always banned (example: Google's reverse image search)
  • Within the first 48 hours, no researched submissions. Only actual recognition or guesses.
  • Guessing is allowed anytime, but if wrong, you are in the penalty box for that challenge for 24 hours.
  • After 48 hours, research is allowed.

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 11/24/12 at 7:25am
post #314 of 2740
Those rules look eminently fair to me, Bill. Might be prudent to define "direct lookup" for folks, though.
post #315 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Ok, I amended the original to say:

Direct lookups are always banned (example: Google's reverse image search)

I'm also treating any wrong answer as a "guess", even if the player didn't think they were guessing.

-Bill
post #316 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

-Bill

I watched this movie on Blu-ray a few months ago - Sphere (1998).



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere_%28film%29
post #317 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Correct! No one's favorite underwater SF film.

-Bill
post #318 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

My ruling: If no one has recognized the image by 24 hours from now, you get it.
* * *
The rules are flexible and ill-defined, something like Calvinball.
Someone who recognizes an image deserves the point more than someone who researches it, and that person has earned it more than someone who has a direct lookup technique.
But, if no one recognizes it within some reasonable period of time, then research becomes justifiable.
I propose:
(1) Whoever posts a challenge can state whatever rules they want.
(2) Obeying the rules is on the honor system. This is the one place in the universe where I know it will work.
(3) The general rules for my challenges are:
  • Direct lookups are always banned (example: Google's reverse image search)
  • Within the first 48 hours, no researched submissions. Only actual recognition or guesses.
  • Guessing is allowed anytime, but if wrong, you are in the penalty box for that challenge for 24 hours.
  • After 48 hours, research is allowed.
-Bill

Wow, you've really structured this thread but I don't have a problem with any of the new rules. I'm assuming comments (humorous or otherwise) are not counted as guesses.
post #319 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Wow, you've really structured this thread but I don't have a problem with any of the new rules. I'm assuming comments (humorous or otherwise) are not counted as guesses.

It would add too much structure to rule on that. The reasonable man will know.

* * *

Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Enchanted April

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 12/1/12 at 9:23am
post #320 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Nicole Kidman in "The Peacemaker".

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 11/25/12 at 12:09pm
post #321 of 2740
The Peacemaker
post #322 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post

The Peacemaker

True.

-Bill
post #323 of 2740
I do prefer Nicole Kidman with her beautiful natural red hair, but an OK movie with George Clooney.
post #324 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post

I do prefer Nicole Kidman with her beautiful natural red hair

And her beautiful natural lips.... but that's a long gone era now. wink.gif
post #325 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Wow, you've really structured this thread but I don't have a problem with any of the new rules. I'm assuming comments (humorous or otherwise) are not counted as guesses.

It would add too much structure to rule on that. The reasonable man will know.

* * *

Name that movie:



-Bill

The timer has expired on this one. Research is now allowed. Anyone who recognizes the actress should get this.

-Bill
post #326 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Name that film:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Home for the Holidays

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 11/27/12 at 7:41am
post #327 of 2740
Name that movie:


Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Scooby Doo The Mystery Begins

Edited by dledmo - 11/29/12 at 10:09pm
post #328 of 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that film:

-Bill

Home for the Holidays (1995)



Always watch on or before Thanksgiving. A family favorite.
post #329 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post


Home for the Holidays (1995)

Correct. Directed by Jodie Foster.

-Bill
post #330 of 2740
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Wow, you've really structured this thread but I don't have a problem with any of the new rules. I'm assuming comments (humorous or otherwise) are not counted as guesses.

It would add too much structure to rule on that. The reasonable man will know.

* * *

Name that movie:



-Bill

The timer has expired on this one. Research is now allowed. Anyone who recognizes the actress should get this.

-Bill

Still available. The next challenge is a clue.

* * *

Name that film:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Polly Walker in "Patriot Games"

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 12/1/12 at 7:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest