or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest - Page 19

post #541 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:



-Bill

Raquel Welch in The Magic Christian.
I just realized she must be Carmen Electra's' mother.
post #542 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post


Resident Evil Retribution

That's the one!

Has everyone read 4 Memos from the Most Bafflingly Evil Movie Corporation?

-Bill
post #543 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by simontan View Post


Raquel Welch in The Magic Christian.
I just realized she must be Carmen Electra's' mother.

Winner!

-Bill
post #544 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post

"Kiss Them for Me"
I was pretty sure that was Cary Grant but took a bit on the redhead, Suzy Parker.

Very good! Yes, a 1957 film starring Cary Grant, Jayne Mansfield and Suzy Parker.

Suzy Parker was a (super) model turned actress and her life story is quite interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzy_Parker

I thought the movie (based on a Broadway play) was sub-par for a Cary Grant film but Suzy Parker made it worthwhile. It's streaming on Netflix.
post #545 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Confessions of an Opium Eater

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 1/22/13 at 4:16pm
post #546 of 2750
Although I own his cookbook, I can't name the movie.cool.gif

Laura's out on BD in a week or two, Bill. You should review it.smile.gif
post #547 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Although I own his cookbook, I can't name the movie.cool.gif

It's pretty obscure; I had never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago.
Quote:
Laura's out on BD in a week or two, Bill. You should review it.smile.gif

I had brief comments almost three years ago: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1197724/review-older-films-here-1979-and-earlier/60#post_18130063

But this is a favorite (and my wife likes it! bonus!) and I'll definitely be reviewing it again when it comes around on BR.

-Bill
post #548 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It's pretty obscure; I had never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago.
Worth it for the quick 'n easy Hollandaise/Bernaise recipes alone, though these days the interweb is probably full of such. My mom had a copy and gifted one to me way back when.

Yup, Laura is a terrific film and I'm glad for the Blu-ray release. More noir is always a good thing.
post #549 of 2750
Wow, I think I got one.

Confessions of an Opium Eater
post #550 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Wow, I think I got one.

Confessions of an Opium Eater

Yes you did! Welcome to the game.

My review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1197724/review-older-films-here-1979-and-earlier/900#post_22865244

-Bill
post #551 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Death Race 2000 (1975)

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 1/24/13 at 11:29am
post #552 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Well, then, name this movie:



-Bill
post #553 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

-Bill

DEATH RACE 2000?
post #554 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post


DEATH RACE 2000?

A fellow connoisseur of fine cinema! Welcome to the game.

My review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1197724/review-older-films-here-1979-and-earlier/900#post_22873899

-Bill
post #555 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Yes you did! Welcome to the game.

My review: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1197724/review-older-films-here-1979-and-earlier/900#post_22865244

-Bill

I guess now that I got one I have to post one? Harder than I thought - hope it's not too obvious or obscure.

66621
post #556 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

I guess now that I got one I have to post one? Harder than I thought - hope it's not too obvious or obscure.

66621

Lovely Jenny Seagrove in LOCAL HERO. She's still working.

-Bill
post #557 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Well, then, name this movie:



-Bill

Rooster Cogburn
post #558 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post


Rooster Cogburn

Not this time, cowboy. I recall Katherine Hepburn operating a Gatling Gun was a high point of that one, though.

-Bill
post #559 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Lovely Jenny Seagrove in LOCAL HERO. She's still working.

-Bill

Lovely lady, lovely film, one of my personal favorites. Okay. I'll try one more.

66623
post #560 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post


Lovely lady, lovely film, one of my personal favorites. Okay. I'll try one more.

TROUBLE IN MIND. I reviewed that here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259578/review-films-of-the-1980s-here#post_18908380

I'm finally getting some points!

-Bill
post #561 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

TROUBLE IN MIND. I reviewed that here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259578/review-films-of-the-1980s-here#post_18908380

I'm finally getting some points!

-Bill

Nice review - Faithful's rendition of "El Gavilon" with Isham's arrangement is remarkable. The phrase that always sticks in my mind is:

The dreams that possess you
Can blossom and bless you
Or run you insane

I'm a sucker for a good rhyme smile.gif

Since you need points, here's another softball you can smack out of the park.

66624
post #562 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Since you need points, here's another softball you can smack out of the park.

Tall woman, that lighting, must be Lesley Ann Warren in CHOOSE ME, reviewed here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259578/review-films-of-the-1980s-here#post_19106489

Whatever happened to Alan Rudolph? If you post THE MODERNS we'll have the trilogy.

-Bill
post #563 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Lovely Jenny Seagrove in LOCAL HERO. She's still working.

-Bill

So is Peter Capaldi next to her. He was just in The Hour from the BBC.

SMK
post #564 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Name that movie:

Lavc54.86.100

Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Circle of Iron

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 1/27/13 at 10:07am
post #565 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Tall woman, that lighting, must be Lesley Ann Warren in CHOOSE ME, reviewed here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259578/review-films-of-the-1980s-here#post_19106489

Whatever happened to Alan Rudolph? If you post THE MODERNS we'll have the trilogy.

-Bill

I don't know, I lost track of him after Afterglow. I dearly love CM/TiM, but never connected with The Moderns for some reason.

66648
post #566 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Well, then, name this movie:



-Bill

Still available. The next one is a different movie, but has an obvious hint for the above.

Name that film:



Answer:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
In the Good Old Summertime

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 1/26/13 at 8:53am
post #567 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Name that film:



-Bill

Good Old Summertime.
post #568 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post


Good Old Summertime.

That's pretty good, even if two words short. Was it the harp?

-Bill
post #569 of 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That's pretty good, even if two words short. Was it the harp?

-Bill

Yep, because whenever I see Garland in a period costume my first thought is of Meet Me in St. Louis. smile.gif
post #570 of 2750
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Nice review - Faithful's rendition of "El Gavilon" with Isham's arrangement is remarkable. The phrase that always sticks in my mind is:

The dreams that possess you
Can blossom and bless you
Or run you insane

I'm a sucker for a good rhyme smile.gif

By the way, the last 4 minutes of the film with Faithful singing are available online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVjnDh8hCg

-Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest