or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 36

post #1051 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post

Off topic: Can someone tell me what shelf that is? It looks about perfect for what I could use for my room.

It appears to be plastic utility shelving from a company like Rubbermaid or Sterilite. I couldn't find the exact one but searching Amazon gave these results:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GNA1E/ref=nosim/?tag=electronicssh-20
post #1052 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

correct, you have to place the IR receiver for the MV3D transmitter near the internal IR sender on the HW30.
depending on the firmware, it might not support the Sony's IR signal out of the box. I don't know which firmware works or doesn't, but I have a firmware update that definitely supports the HW50.
let me know if you need it.

Does this mean that you can use the Sony IR glasses and MV3D RF glasses at the same time?
post #1053 of 8128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

Does this mean that you can use the Sony IR glasses and MV3D RF glasses at the same time?

yes, you can use both at the same time, no problem. The MV3D transmitter does need power though, so some have run blackberry chargers (micro usb) to their projector area to power the device.
post #1054 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

yes, you can use both at the same time, no problem. The MV3D transmitter does need power though, so some have run blackberry chargers (micro usb) to their projector area to power the device.

Good to know, thanks! If I did get the MV3D, I would probably install one of these USB power outlets to have a cleaner install:



But if you're able to re-wire the MV3D RF emitter to work with the HC8000, then you won't need to buy the external emitter then, correct?
post #1055 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post

Off topic: Can someone tell me what shelf that is? It looks about perfect for what I could use for my room.
On topic: How does the HW50 handle image noise? I've seen a Sony VW85 in action, and though it has a really good picture, it seemed to show noise, or maybe macroblocking, on sources that my RS1 and 45 did not show. Not a huge deal-breaker, but it's kind of off-putting. I'm considering getting either the HW50 or the RS46 in the coming months, and if the HW50 has the noise problem, I may have to go for the 46.

I use the same shelf. I got mines from Meijer in Indiana, I don't know what all locations that they have, but I'm sure Walmart should have it too. Cost me about $40
post #1056 of 8128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post


Good to know, thanks! If I did get the MV3D, I would probably install one of these USB power outlets to have a cleaner install:

But if you're able to re-wire the MV3D RF emitter to work with the HC8000, then you won't need to buy the external emitter then, correct?

that's a nice solution and removes the wall plug from the install.

Even with the wired hookup the HC8000, you still need the external power source. The projector is just providing the signal.
post #1057 of 8128
Any thoughts on 2D viewing thus far?
post #1058 of 8128
Sorry to ask you but I need your help/advise, my old CRT Barco is down for good now moving on. The local AV store says I should get the JVC RS4810U/X-55 over the Sony because of the better blacks that I would be used to. He says he will take the tax off if I preorder the JVC now.

Do you think this JVC hold up to the new sony that everyone is talking up so much? I love Sci-Fi movies but the kids will want 3D. I have a dedicated theater room for darkness and a 92 inch screen.

Whats your best guess? or how does it compare to last years JVC? (I got to see that one in action as well as the X70 eshift one).
Your seem like the only one that might have an unbiased opinion and some actual knowlege on this.

Thanks,
Christian
post #1059 of 8128
I own the Epson 5020 and I would like to try a pair of the the MonsterVision 3D glasses. Since the 5020 outputs the RF signal, all I need to purchase is a pair of the MV glasses correct? Also, has anybody tried the MonsterVision 3D glasses with the Epson and have you noticed any difference? Thanks!
post #1060 of 8128
I can't wait until the JVC gets thrown into this shootout
post #1061 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn View Post

Good to know, thanks! If I did get the MV3D, I would probably install one of these USB power outlets to have a cleaner install:
Where can I get one, and does it come in black?
post #1062 of 8128
post #1063 of 8128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenkins95 View Post

I own the Epson 5020 and I would like to try a pair of the the MonsterVision 3D glasses. Since the 5020 outputs the RF signal, all I need to purchase is a pair of the MV glasses correct? Also, has anybody tried the MonsterVision 3D glasses with the Epson and have you noticed any difference? Thanks!

not all RF is the same, I don't see any indication that the MV3D's will work with the 5020's RF transmitter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cborzi View Post

Sorry to ask you but I need your help/advise, my old CRT Barco is down for good now moving on. The local AV store says I should get the JVC RS4810U/X-55 over the Sony because of the better blacks that I would be used to. He says he will take the tax off if I preorder the JVC now.

Do you think this JVC hold up to the new sony that everyone is talking up so much? I love Sci-Fi movies but the kids will want 3D. I have a dedicated theater room for darkness and a 92 inch screen.

I can't comment until I see the new JVC's vs. the HW50. We should see them in a few weeks. if you can't wait until the first reviews are in, the HW50 is a very nice projector and i'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
post #1064 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cborzi View Post

Sorry to ask you but I need your help/advise, my old CRT Barco is down for good now moving on. The local AV store says I should get the JVC RS4810U/X-55 over the Sony because of the better blacks that I would be used to. He says he will take the tax off if I preorder the JVC now.
Do you think this JVC hold up to the new sony that everyone is talking up so much? I love Sci-Fi movies but the kids will want 3D. I have a dedicated theater room for darkness and a 92 inch screen.
Whats your best guess? or how does it compare to last years JVC? (I got to see that one in action as well as the X70 eshift one).
Your seem like the only one that might have an unbiased opinion and some actual knowlege on this.
Thanks,
Christian

In case you haven't heard the present JVCs are plagued with ghosting. If you look through past reviews some reviews gave JVC praises for their 3D but when they did their reviews they were either lucky or they didn't view the correct material to see the ghosting. From day 1 I recall The Lion King having ghosting so bad that it wasn't worth watching 3D on my JVC RS45. The 2D is fantastic, the 3D is decent on some material but there are many issues. If you aren't a black level fanatic I would definitely keep the Sony or the Epson in mind.
post #1065 of 8128
I just can't seem to justify a 3d picture over a 2d.
post #1066 of 8128
post #1067 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I just can't seem to justify a 3d picture over a 2d.

I was the one last year saying how I was so confused how some made their decision based on 3D. After owning the Benq W7000, I can understand why some like it so much. The 3D on the W7000 is excellent, but I still would prefer to watch 2D more. Some movies are excellent on 3D, and are better than the 2D version. Still, I would not justify my decision based on 3D.
post #1068 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I was the one last year saying how I was so confused how some made their decision based on 3D. After owning the Benq W7000, I can understand why some like it so much. The 3D on the W7000 is excellent, but I still would prefer to watch 2D more. Some movies are excellent on 3D, and are better than the 2D version. Still, I would not justify my decision based on 3D.

same here, wasnt interested remotely in 3D, my 2D pj got replaced under warranty with a epson 9000w eventually checked out some 3D out of curiosity and was hooked ! I think previously I was underwhelmed looking at poor source fake 3D in stores on flat panels or really crook renditions in dim local cinemas. having now seen good quality 3D on a pj that does it well, 3D definitely a requirement for me out of any projector I own. And been some great movies have checked out on 3D as well, pirates stranger tides, tin tin, prometheus, hugo to name a few so definitely something been enjoying of late smile.gif
post #1069 of 8128
Zombie, any first impressions on the Mits so far ?
post #1070 of 8128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

Zombie, any first impressions on the Mits so far ?

Rick, I spent most of the weekend trying to figure out where to mount it so I can get it square with the screen. It has a very limited mounting location and I've been spoiled by all the other projectors (including the BQ W7000) where I can place it just about anywhere and get a square, center framed image on the 142" 16:9.

I've also been building a cable for the MV3D transmitter since I can't watch 3D until I get the Mitsubishi IR emitter and new glasses. There is a setting in the menu for normal or 'high speed' glasses. Also settings for 96hz or 120hz. When I run the 3D L/R patterns in 96 hz mode, I can see a slight flicker in the image, but it's rock solid @ 120hz. I'll have to see how both look once I get the glasses working.
post #1071 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I can't wait until the JVC gets thrown into this shootout

And I can't wait until the Epson 5020 also gets thrown into the shootout. biggrin.gif
post #1072 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Rick, I spent most of the weekend trying to figure out where to mount it so I can get it square with the screen. It has a very limited mounting location and I've been spoiled by all the other projectors (including the BQ W7000) where I can place it just about anywhere and get a square, center framed image on the 142" 16:9.
I've also been building a cable for the MV3D transmitter since I can't watch 3D until I get the Mitsubishi IR emitter and new glasses. There is a setting in the menu for normal or 'high speed' glasses. Also settings for 96hz or 120hz. When I run the 3D L/R patterns in 96 hz mode, I can see a slight flicker in the image, but it's rock solid @ 120hz. I'll have to see how both look once I get the glasses working.

I believe you can only use FI with the 96hz, at least for 3D. I have no idea if FI will solve the flicker problem.
post #1073 of 8128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

And I can't wait until the Epson 5020 also gets thrown into the shootout. biggrin.gif

i've watched the 5020 quite a bit along side of the HW50 IMO, it doesn't feel like major upgrade to the 5010. The RF glasses are nice, it's a bit brighter in 3D than last year, etc. The 2 main things I wanted to see were Super Resolution and FI turned on in 3D mode. I would exchange the DI for these 2, I'm not seeing a noticeable difference with it turned on.

I directly A/B'd the 5020 and HW50 in a number of dark 3D scenes a few nights ago (Spiderman 3D). I still have a slight preference towards the Sony with perceived contrast in 3D and also prefer the RC and FI in 3D.

In other words, HW30-> HW50 upgrade is going to be quite noticeable, not as much with the 5010 -> 5020. This isn't a bad thing, the 5010 is a great projector. I'm sticking with wanting the SR and FI in 3D, this should be updated in firmware (if possible) to be a little more competitive with the Sony.


Edit: I also did a 3 way shootout with the JVC, Sony and Epson watching 'The Art of Flight'. The JVC RS55 is the 'white field uniformity king' - nearly flawless.

JVC > Sony > Epson
post #1074 of 8128
Zombie, how clean is the 3d on the epson. As you know I already tried the benq and I just couldn't handle the eye strain and rainbows for me. Is it better than the 5010 or the same? I am sensitive to jerky movements and blur caused by fast motion in 3d and it really bothers me. Also does the new upcoming jvc x35 fix the ghosting they have? I guess what I really want to know is even though projectors may ghosting is it so bad that it would annoy people or is just an annoyance for people want it to be perfect. Would I be able to watch the movie or would I find myself just distracted by the ghosting and flicker.

Thanks
post #1075 of 8128
Ghosting on my Epson 6010 is not bad at all. It's not 100% ghost free, but with a new bulb it looks great. At just over 1,700 hours, there's more ghosting, but it's still no where near as bad as the JVCs I owned at any point in lamp life. I think from Jason's comments, the new Epsons probably don't improve that much on 3D, but they were excellent from day one. The new JVCs are not out yet. I consider the JVC RS40 a very watchable 3D projector when the lamp is new. With just a few hundred hours, however, it's not. It's very, very bad, not just a little distracting. The JVC RS45, IMO, did not produce a respectable 3D picture even when the lamp was new. There were simply too many nasty instances of dark ghosting in any 3D film I watched, no matter the age of the lamp. The "improved" controls that were supposed to help ghosting performance did next to nothing. It was a serious disappointment to me, especially since JVC claimed to have improved 3D performance. IMO that was a lie, plain and simple. I'm really anxious to hear about ghosting on the new models. In dark scenes, 3D on the JVCs was the best I've ever seen, anywhere, on any projector or at any commercial theater! It's a shame it was crippled by the dark ghosting problem.
post #1076 of 8128
Zombie, what your recommended settings for RC? RC on 1 and Noise Reduction OFF?
post #1077 of 8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

... the SR and FI in 3D, this should be updated in firmware (if possible) to be a little more competitive with the Sony...

Seriously doubt this will happen. Firmware upgrades typically address problems not enhancements. The mIssing FI in 3D is big minus against the Epson (same is true for the JVC) IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

... The new JVCs are not out yet. I consider the JVC RS40 a very watchable 3D projector when the lamp is new. With just a few hundred hours, however, it's not. It's very, very bad, not just a little distracting. The JVC RS45, IMO, did not produce a respectable 3D picture even when the lamp was new. There were simply too many nasty instances of dark ghosting in any 3D film I watched, no matter the age of the lamp. The "improved" controls that were supposed to help ghosting performance did next to nothing. It was a serious disappointment to me, especially since JVC claimed to have improved 3D performance. IMO that was a lie, plain and simple. I'm really anxious to hear about ghosting on the new models. In dark scenes, 3D on the JVCs was the best I've ever seen, anywhere, on any projector or at any commercial theater! It's a shame it was crippled by the dark ghosting problem.

My RS45 showed major ghosting on The Lion King within less than 20 hours of owning my RS45. On some material it's not bad but on some material the ghosting is pretty bad. I can say that even if the ghosting weren't that bad motion still is. Maybe I'm more sensitive to flicker than I realize but motion just doesn't look good at all on my RS45 in 3D. Even when I demoed the new Epson 5020 at BB motion still didn't look very smooth. I suppose that I have to have FI turned for motion to look smoothly although motion looks fine on plasmas that don't have FI.
Edited by xb1032 - 11/18/12 at 12:30pm
post #1078 of 8128
Here's Trusted Reviews review of the 5020. They gave it 9/10, but it wasn't a strong 9/10. Contrary to Art's review they thought the black levels on the Panasonic and Sony were better. This projector is considerably cheaper in England than either the Sony or Panny.
I find it amusing that they have no interest whatsoever in Super Resolution and didn't even bother trying it. It is hard to trust a review that doesn't actually evaluate all of the projectors major features -- duh!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/epson-eh-tw8100-lcd-projector_Projector_review
post #1079 of 8128
many people do not like gimmicks like dynamic iris, darbee or RC. I think pure 2D performance is the most important thing to evaluate.
post #1080 of 8128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Here's Trusted Reviews review of the 5020. They gave it 9/10, but it wasn't a strong 9/10. Contrary to Art's review they thought the black levels on the Panasonic and Sony were better. This projector is considerably cheaper in England than either the Sony or Panny.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/epson-eh-tw8100-lcd-projector_Projector_review

Black level talk

We do need to stress, though, that while very good, the TW8100’s black level response isn’t quite as immaculate as that of Panasonic’s AT6000 or Sony’s HW50. There’s a touch more greyness over the darkest parts of the picture, and a touch less shadow detail - especially compared with the HW50 if you’ve got that model’s Reality Creation system active.




I agree with his comments on the black levels. You wouldn't notice unless side by side, but I do think the HW50 has a bit of an advantage here, especially in 3D.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014