or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 54

post #1591 of 8057
Can't wait for it zombie. Bad part is I still need seats lol. I didn't expect it to come so soon. Plus I still need to run my xt32 calibration n my boom
Stand does not come until next wed.

Then have to figure out how I'm going to place these 3 subwoofers. So much work to do
post #1592 of 8057
Thread Starter 
The 3D emitter noise is much quieter on this new HW50 I am calibrating. You can hear it if you get close, but it's a major improvement. that's good news if they fixed it on the new batches.

JVC_vs_Sony.jpg
post #1593 of 8057
For air flow on the R46.

I am going to he mounting it on a shelf on my back wall. The shelf will not be enclosed. Is
There a certain distance from the back of the wall I should keep it away from?

Also should I get some kind if fans to help move the heat around it?
post #1594 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The 3D emitter noise is much quieter on this new HW50 I am calibrating. You can hear it if you get close, but it's a major improvement. that's good news if they fixed it on the new batches.

That's good to hear. Can't wait to see the calibrated numbers on the Sony.
post #1595 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hey man, at least I showed up for practice even if I am not going to make the tour. tongue.gif I think technically Sammy boy broke up the band this year, but he has a free pass so I take full responsibility. Just a little solo tour for me this year and nothing to worry about in the long run. Next year will be the reunion tour though with the boys back in full force. cool.gif We can still play some side gigs between now and then though!
These are all very good points! tongue.gif

I think it was Sammy boy technically but we'll give em a pass on that one! Let me know when you guys are in Chicago.. you're welcome any time! wink.gif

And tell Haflich I gotta CLUB for him (especially if he doesn't check his emails!). biggrin.gif

Jason - Have you watched MIB 3 in 3D yet? If so impressions on blacks? smile.gif
post #1596 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

I was going to go 120. But then I figured since it was a HP screen people say it makes it much brighter...

I have a 119" HP 2.4 gain screen with projector mounter above the back row (maybe 2 ft or so over eye level in the front row) at just under an 18' throw and I'm about 1-1/2 seats from the sweet spot and I run my RS45 in low lamp mode with the iris at -15 (closed all the way) and it's still plenty bright so my guess is your 133" screen will look great!
post #1597 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

For air flow on the R46.
I am going to he mounting it on a shelf on my back wall. The shelf will not be enclosed. Is
There a certain distance from the back of the wall I should keep it away from?
Also should I get some kind if fans to help move the heat around it?

I've shelf mounted several projectors as little as three inches clearance from back wall with no problem. I believe 6-8 inches recommended.
post #1598 of 8057
That should not be a problem . I just have to get my seats then determine how high I need to go up on the back wall.

When mounting it should i just have someone measure from floor to to of my head when sitting? Then go on the wall with that height and add 6 inches and mount there?
post #1599 of 8057
Yep. Closer to yours eyes the more gain you will have. Mine is mounted close to 4" above my head and I probably get close to a full gain but just a guess. Also make sure you have a sturdy shelf. This thing would make a hell of an anchor at 35lbs:)
post #1600 of 8057
Zombie, you got a PM.
post #1601 of 8057
Ya I'm going to have to figure out how to do this shelf. 35 pounds omg I didn't know they weighed that much.

And make sure It is dead nuts level right?

At 35 pounds I shouldn't have to worry about my subs making it move then?
post #1602 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Zombie I'm waiting for my R46. My first projector ever.
My 133 inch hp screen is getting lonely in the basement frown.gif


eek.gif

Your jaw is going to HIT THE FLOOR when you fire up the 46 on that screen in that room! Nice job! I have been running a JVC/HP combo for a few years now and I STILL am blown away with the right transfer. Tonight was the latest jaw dropper with Finding Nemo. Talk about eye (and ear) candy.......WOW! I was just floored the entire 100 minutes to the point that I sat ALL the way through the credits which I hardly ever do. Funny thing is at the end of the Nemo credits the little green round monster main character from Monsters Inc. swims by in the ocean which I thought was trip! biggrin.gif This was the 2d version and the images just JUMPED off the screen. Throw in the reference LFE/audio and the movie itself, and these are the moments that I live for as far as HT goes! This non DI native JVC contrast is so awesome. Not seeing a DI pump ever is such a cool thing. $hit, you are going to love it! cool.gif

Kevin, I have been all over the US and have somehow never been to Chicago! confused.gif I would love to visit as I have heard so many good things about it (have some other friends from HS that live there), so I might take you up on that one day. smile.gif Just know you are always more than welcome to stay with us if you are ever in Denver as well. wink.gif Would love to have you. The Zbreeze came today.........hoping this will keep my amp from catching on fire again! eek.gif
post #1603 of 8057
I have some SBS 3D material that looks great on the 5010 -- no ghosting. How well does the Sony HW50 handle SBS 3D?
post #1604 of 8057
Thanks that's just what I wanted to hear.

I have so many friends going there is no way a projector will look better then my sharp 80 inch or lg 65 inch. I can't wait until I smack them in the face with this and call there TVs kids TVs lol even though I have a sharp 70 above my fireplace lol
post #1605 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post

Thanks that's just what I wanted to hear.
I have so many friends going there is no way a projector will look better then my sharp 80 inch or lg 65 inch. I can't wait until I smack them in the face with this and call there TVs kids TVs lol even though I have a sharp 70 above my fireplace lol

Toe's comments were predicated on the fact he uses an HP screen -- IMO this makes a huge difference to the overall "punch" of the image that is so appealing to many. I've tied 3D on several screens and the HP is now a requirement for me for 3D -- period.
post #1606 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Toe's comments were predicated on the fact he uses an HP screen -- IMO this makes a huge difference to the overall "punch" of the image that is so appealing to many. I've tied 3D on several screens and the HP is now a requirement for me for 3D -- period.
You do realize that 3D brightness is gonna be around same in 130" 2.4 HP than it is with 100" 1.4 gain screen? That is assuming the projector is absolutely perfectly in the middle of HP screen and the smaller screen has no polarization retention like the HP. Have the HP a bit off-center and throw in for example Da-Lite's Cinema Vision with good polarization retention and the HP's egde grows smaller and smaller. Not bashing HP at all, it is a great screen and sort of an enabler to use JVC's on the bigger screen sizes, but depending on the screen size or setup it may not be the mandatory Holy Grail that some people like to make it sound.

I'm off to pick up my new X55, should have it set up in a few hours with my non-3D usable ST130 smile.gif
post #1607 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

You do realize that 3D brightness is gonna be around same in 130" 2.4 HP than it is with 100" 1.4 gain screen? That is assuming the projector is absolutely perfectly in the middle of HP screen and the smaller screen has no polarization retention like the HP. Have the HP a bit off-center and throw in for example Da-Lite's Cinema Vision with good polarization retention and the HP's egde grows smaller and smaller. Not bashing HP at all, it is a great screen and sort of an enabler to use JVC's on the bigger screen sizes, but depending on the screen size or setup it may not be the mandatory Holy Grail that some people like to make it sound.
I'm off to pick up my new X55, should have it set up in a few hours with my non-3D usable ST130 smile.gif
Do you realized how much bigger a 130in screen is than a 100in screen? I ran dual screens last year with a 120in HP screen and a 100in SI Gamma 4K screen. Huge difference in size and brightness. I got 10ftL in 3D off of my 100in neutral screen and 20ftL off of my 120in screen in 3D. Much, much brighter and more immersive with my Benq W7000. With my RS55 last year, I was able to close the iris completely and still get 18ftL for 2D with over 55,000:1 contrast. It's not the best screen and I doubt there is such a thing. I tried over 7 screens and the HP is my favorite
post #1608 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

eek.gif
Your jaw is going to HIT THE FLOOR when you fire up the 46 on that screen in that room! Nice job! I have been running a JVC/HP combo for a few years now and I STILL am blown away with the right transfer. Tonight was the latest jaw dropper with Finding Nemo. Talk about eye (and ear) candy.......WOW! I was just floored the entire 100 minutes to the point that I sat ALL the way through the credits which I hardly ever do. Funny thing is at the end of the Nemo credits the little green round monster main character from Monsters Inc. swims by in the ocean which I thought was trip! biggrin.gif This was the 2d version and the images just JUMPED off the screen. Throw in the reference LFE/audio and the movie itself, and these are the moments that I live for as far as HT goes! This non DI native JVC contrast is so awesome. Not seeing a DI pump ever is such a cool thing. $hit, you are going to love it! cool.gif
Kevin, I have been all over the US and have somehow never been to Chicago! confused.gif I would love to visit as I have heard so many good things about it (have some other friends from HS that live there), so I might take you up on that one day. smile.gif Just know you are always more than welcome to stay with us if you are ever in Denver as well. wink.gif Would love to have you. The Zbreeze came today.........hoping this will keep my amp from catching on fire again! eek.gif

It'll definitely take care of you my friend and let you crank things up just a little more! I just might take you up as well since we've never been to your beautiful city (so I've heard)! smile.gif

Another piece of exciting news on the AVF . . . Phil just cracked open his new X75 and his review/impressions will be forthcoming shortly... Awesome!! biggrin.gif
post #1609 of 8057
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post


Another piece of exciting news on the AVF . . . Phil just cracked open his new X75 and his review/impressions will be forthcoming shortly... Awesome!! biggrin.gif

definitely looking forward to hearing what they think. It would be nice if they could get them in the same room together, it sounds like it might be individual reviews.
post #1610 of 8057
I found some possible good and bad news. Let's get the bad news over with. This post is from the new JVC series owners thread at avforums:
Quote:
Just a quick note regarding gaming - unfortunately the X55, in accordance with the quoted 80ms lag input, makes it a little difficult to use in fast paced online gaming (single player stuff which doesn't require the manic inputs, looks wonderful). It's not a big issue as I've migrated over to using a 32" LCD for gaming, but those intending to game competitively* I wouldn't recommend it.

I would really love to see some measurements backing this up, but if it's perceivable while gaming then it doesn't look very good in terms of input lag frown.gif

On the other hand I stumbled upon the review of the HW50 at hdtvtest.co.uk. They say input lag is 16ms compared to a CRT when using "Photo" and "Game" mode, and the PJ can also accept a full 4:4:4 signal in these modes:
Quote:
The Sony VPL-HW50ES is the fastest projector we’ve reviewed yet. There are two low-lag picture modes, “Photo” and “Game”, both of which produce full chroma resolution from a 4:4:4 input and lag by just 16ms. Gamers are advised to connect the video output of their consoles directly to the projector (bypassing any AV receivers) to take full advantage of this.

Again, some input lag measurements would be also great to verify these claims. Could it be true that the HW50 lags by just 16ms? If so, I just found my perfect compromise projector!biggrin.gif

(I have to curb my enthusiasm about this possible 16ms on the HW50, but my heartrate raised a bit when I saw 16ms.)
post #1611 of 8057
Thread Starter 
it's possible, but the quickest I measured the HW30 and HW50 was 30MS with a CRT monitor via VGA output. It's still the quickest of the current projectors.

i'll measure the JVC's when they arrive.
post #1612 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it's possible, but the quickest I measured the HW30 and HW50 was 30MS with a CRT monitor via VGA output. It's still the quickest of the current projectors. i'll measure the JVC's when they arrive.

I have a JVCRS35U and looking to get an upgrade , I am looking forward to your review I could care less about 3D for me 4K or 8K is the goal. My screen is only 10 feet wide 2:35 aspect ration I wish I had the room for this Elite Curve235-250A4K D:250" AR:2.35:1 H:96"W:231" AcousticPro 4K 1.1

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1650&catid=12&Itemid=20&lang=en
post #1613 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

it's possible, but the quickest I measured the HW30 and HW50 was 30MS with a CRT monitor via VGA output. It's still the quickest of the current projectors. i'll measure the JVC's when they arrive.

I have a JVCRS35U and looking to get an upgrade , I am looking forward to your review I could care less about 3D for me 4K or 8K is the goal. My screen is only 10 feet wide 2:35 aspect ration I wish I had the room for this Elite Curve235-250A4K D:250" AR:2.35:1 H:96"W:231" AcousticPro 4K 1.1

http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1650&catid=12&Itemid=20&lang=en

What's the reason for you wanting to upgrade?
post #1614 of 8057
No news about HC8000D?
post #1615 of 8057
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Volk View Post

No news about HC8000D?

I am still waiting on the special 'high speed' glasses and had to recently rebuilt my HTPC so I can run the lag tests. I should be able to do that before the weekend and get some 2D impression on the thread.

The lack of a real lens shift is a major obstacle in my setup since my screen is literally floor -> ceiling and don't have much room above to put it where it needs. I may just have to zoom a bit and work with a smaller footprint on screen.
post #1616 of 8057
Sorry, this is way off topic, but...

I gave my Sharp XV-Z20000 to my niece a while back and the lamp needs to be replaced. I know others who follow this thread used to own the Sharp, too, so I was hoping someone had a spare lamp they might be able to part with, or know of someone who does. She doesn't have the $300-400 for a new one because of the holidays. If you can help, please PM me.
post #1617 of 8057
So how's that calibration coming along? tongue.gif
post #1618 of 8057
Anyone know if these latest projectors will display the Hobits new High Frame Rate? 48Hz?

I don't really care about 4K. JVC's E-shift will do me. I just don't want to outlay the $$ if HFR is going to be the next big thing.

Has the Blu-ray association got a spec for this also?

Ta Dono smile.gif
Edited by Badas - 12/5/12 at 7:07pm
post #1619 of 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I have a JVCRS35U and looking to get an upgrade , I am looking forward to your review I could care less about 3D for me 4K or 8K is the goal. My screen is only 10 feet wide 2:35 aspect ration I wish I had the room for this Elite Curve235-250A4K D:250" AR:2.35:1 H:96"W:231" AcousticPro 4K 1.1
http://www.elitescreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1650&catid=12&Itemid=20&lang=en

250"!? Wow that would be impressive, immersive and totally awesome but I don't think these could light up a screen that size. Also looking for a 2.35 screen and lookng at Elites. I just got some samples from Elite with the 4k material and the 1080P2 yesterday. The 1080P2 is really similar to the Seymour XD sample but the 4k material seems just like a plain white piece of fabric. Ok maybe a little nicer but not by much. Wondering if it will be better than the XD/1080P2 stuff?...
post #1620 of 8057
Thread Starter 
The RS46's from AVScience are shipping tomorrow.. nice! The 56's and 4810's will be here soon. biggrin.gif

We'll start with the RS46 this weekend. The new glasses / RF transmitter are a few days behind so i'll try it with the Xpand 104's and the Monster Vision 3D's for now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014