or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014 - Page 126

post #3751 of 8005
Ceiling is easy to figure out, how do you get black on the floor without it looking really bad from an asthetic point of view?
post #3752 of 8005
Black rug that you roll up when not using the projector, otherwise it's the usual non dedicated room compromise: If it's a dedicated room, then who cares about aesthetics: fit a black carpet (at least on the stage if it has one) and enjoy the better picture. wink.gif
post #3753 of 8005
I bought a 10x13 black area rug from Lowes last year. It fits between the screen and the front row of seats and works fine.
post #3754 of 8005
Well a fully black carpet is no good, I have a white dog lol. Charcoal is the darkest I'd go, course I'm thinking black walls, black ceiling and and really dark carpet, it'll be impossible to light lol. My 1st room I did a black ceiling and dark red walls, with 2 200w lights on full blast we could barely see.
post #3755 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Well a fully black carpet is no good, I have a white dog lol. Charcoal is the darkest I'd go, course I'm thinking black walls, black ceiling and and really dark carpet, it'll be impossible to light lol. My 1st room I did a black ceiling and dark red walls, with 2 200w lights on full blast we could barely see.

Never thought about that really, the great CAVE for movies and nothing else I guess
post #3756 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

correct, you can use just the MV3D transmitter and run as many MV3D glasses as you want.

These Optoma glasses will also work with the MV3D RF transmitter.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BG-ZF2100GLS-Active-Shutter-Glasses/dp/B008PQJXFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362930697&sr=8-1&keywords=optoma+3D+glasses
At least 1 screen height is a good starting point.

How do you like these compared to the Monster 3D glasses?
post #3757 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Never thought about that really, the great CAVE for movies and nothing else I guess

That's what I'm doing in my new theater room. Nothing but movies and maybe some game time for the kids.
post #3758 of 8005
I happened across another review for the X35 and thought I would share. There are quite a few mentions about comparison to the Sony VPL-HW50ES in the review as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-projectors/jvc-dla-x35b/4505-7858_7-35616134.html
post #3759 of 8005
Zombie

I have a JVC 4810 along with the JVC RFemitter. Will any of the aftermarket RF 3D glasses work with the JVC emitter, or does each aftermarket brand like Monster and Xpand require their own dedicated emitter? Thanks.
post #3760 of 8005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Zombie

I have a JVC 4810 along with the JVC RFemitter. Will any of the aftermarket RF 3D glasses work with the JVC emitter, or does each aftermarket brand like Monster and Xpand require their own dedicated emitter? Thanks.

There are reports that these 2 glasses work with the JVC RF Transmitter:

* Samsung SSG-4100GB (these are very cheap @ $20 a pair)

* Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU

There may be others that folks can report on. I don't believe the MV3D glasses will work from what I've seen, different protocols on the transmitters.
post #3761 of 8005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

I happened across another review for the X35 and thought I would share. There are quite a few mentions about comparison to the Sony VPL-HW50ES in the review as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-projectors/jvc-dla-x35b/4505-7858_7-35616134.html

Thanks for posting, this is a decent review. There's some things I think they skipped such as discussing reality creation vs. native lens sharpness, etc. On my HP screen, we can see the JVC has a lower black floor. Sony 3D get's an edge for better handling of the crosstalk + FI in 3D mode. +1 for the Sony putting out 1000+ calibrated lumens to help with ambient light viewing.

regarding motion comparison - it's interesting that he didn't see any differences between the JVC and Sony with the FPD motion tests.

Out of the box color - "Prior to calibration the Sony's default picture settings are clearly better than anything JVC offers. If the X35 has one big weakness, it's the relatively inaccurate state of its image prior to any adjustment. The best setting, Film, couldn't begin to climb the heights of accuracy achievable by a professional calibration."

I have to agree here based on a recent 4810 calibration. The Sony is a dream to calibrate in comparison. R709 setting = pretty darn close. Same thing with Gamma. 2.2 = very close to 2.2 which is good since you need image director to make adjustments. The JVC gamma is easy to adjust though with calibration equipment. Wandering green saturation, not as easy to fix.
post #3762 of 8005
Off topic:

Jason,

I replaced my home brew Unraid server over the weekend with a business class 24-bay Supermicro server. As usual, it was easy to move the Unraid drives from the old server to the new one. The SM server booted from my Unraid flash drive and recognized the old (and new) drives. After a parity check, I was up and running. Interestingly, almost all my problems with dodgy playback (especially Disney titles like Tangled) via the network to the MED600X went away. No need to use NFS. Playback of iso files is as smooth as from a locally attached USB hard drive. This Supermicro server is faster by far in every way than my other server. I have about 39TB of storage today, and could go up to 92 if I switched out all the drives for 4TB ones. Next step, replace the Banshee-loud power supplies with a quiet Seasonic that I won't be able to hear from a block away. biggrin.gif That mod is for later this week.
post #3763 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

There are reports that these 2 glasses work with the JVC RF Transmitter:

* Samsung SSG-4100GB (these are very cheap @ $20 a pair)

* Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU

There may be others that folks can report on. I don't believe the MV3D glasses will work from what I've seen, different protocols on the transmitters.

Thank you. I heard the Panasonics are pretty good, so I'll order a couple of pairs to try out the 3D on the JVC.
post #3764 of 8005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Off topic:

Jason,

I replaced my home brew Unraid server over the weekend with a business class 24-bay Supermicro server. As usual, it was easy to move the Unraid drives from the old server to the new one. The SM server booted from my Unraid flash drive and recognized the old (and new) drives. After a parity check, I was up and running. Interestingly, almost all my problems with dodgy playback (especially Disney titles like Tangled) via the network to the MED600X went away. No need to use NFS. Playback of iso files is as smooth as from a locally attached USB hard drive. This Supermicro server is faster by far in every way than my other server. I have about 39TB of storage today, and could go up to 92 if I switched out all the drives for 4TB ones. Next step, replace the Banshee-loud power supplies with a quiet Seasonic that I won't be able to hear from a block away. biggrin.gif That mod is for later this week.

good news, chasing down these kind of issues is always a pain, but it's great when it works out.

I've been having good luck with converting the 3D ISO's to the MVC MVK's. I've done a number of the Disney titles so far and this appears to fix the seamless branching issue these media devices have with the specific disks that have this m2ts format. I always have to engage the 3D mode in the menu, but I don't mind doing this. I thought I read that you could put in '3DSBS' in the file title and it would do it automatically, but it doesn't appear to work.

With the 3D MVC MKV's, I can rip through the timeline without breaking a sweat, it just throws the data around like it was nothing. Even with the current beta firmware, the mediator is much better behaved than my Micca 950 / HiMedia 900. I use those now in other rooms for 2D only MKV + HD audio and they work fine for that purpose.

The Seasonic power supply is dead silent and never gets warm with my setup. definitely a recommended purchase.
post #3765 of 8005
My MKV rip of Tangled plays the same from the MED600X as the regular Blu-ray 3D iso file - minor blocking artifacts in some transitions, but no audio dropouts. However, both file types also play back that way from a locally connected USB hard drive. I found out last night that my own original 3D mp4 (and m2ts) files play in 3D if I set the 600X for SbS, TandB or even 3D conversion. Otherwise, like the MKV files, they play in 2D. I like this little box. I'm going to get another one for my dedicated home theater room. No lip sync issues, no HDMI level conflicts like my HTPCs, just direct playback of my movies. Sweet.
post #3766 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Thank you. I heard the Panasonics are pretty good, so I'll order a couple of pairs to try out the 3D on the JVC.
Remember that JVC uses different polarization on their LCOS panels so the JVC glasses are setup to use this same polarization. If your screen retains polarization this will affect brightness quite a lot. Ron Jones had two very good posts that explained this in detail. Hopefully he won't mind if I reference his posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection/60#post_19821601

Thanks go to Ron for his work and testing.
post #3767 of 8005
Guys,

Out of the topic but curious how's the bandwidth, throughput in network with SMB and NFS when running jelly fish test files? My 600X3D could pass up to 50M in SMB and 120M in NFS. If Joe's SMB can handle 3D ISO, it can be 80M or more. Can you check?

Any one sets up Jumbo Frame? I couldn't enable it with any of my media player since playback doesn't work with jumbo frame on. So MTU size is default 1500 even if my gigabit switch supports up to 9k.
post #3768 of 8005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

Guys,

Out of the topic but curious how's the bandwidth, throughput in network with SMB and NFS when running jelly fish test files? My 600X3D could pass up to 50M in SMB and 120M in NFS. If Joe's SMB can handle 3D ISO, it can be 80M or more. Can you check?

Any one sets up Jumbo Frame? I couldn't enable it with any of my media player since playback doesn't work with jumbo frame on. So MTU size is default 1500 even if my gigabit switch supports up to 9k.

I was having SMB (Win 7 64bit) streaming issues with 3D ISO w/ DTS-MA sound. They ran fine on the local HD. I ended up running an NFS service in Windows and 3D Streaming is no problem now, nice and smooth. I didn't change the MTU.
post #3769 of 8005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Remember that JVC uses different polarization on their LCOS panels so the JVC glasses are setup to use this same polarization. If your screen retains polarization this will affect brightness quite a lot. Ron Jones had two very good posts that explained this in detail. Hopefully he won't mind if I reference his posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection/60#post_19821601

Thanks go to Ron for his work and testing.

this is good info, I remember when this topic was first being discussed (original JVC glasses vs. Xpand 103).

I don't recall how many of the popular screens retained any significant amount of polarization. My 2.8HP doesn't retain any, so the new JVC RF glasses / Xpand 104 / Monster Vision 3D look the same relatively brightness, even though the tint is slightly different.

Those photos are good reminder why the HP is such a good match for the current 3D projectors. There is a ton of light lost through the glasses.
post #3770 of 8005
JVC RS4810 + HP 2.8 + 600X3D + NFS + Samsung 3D glasses SSG-4100 ($20) = Impressive 3D
Edited by freebits - 3/11/13 at 9:29pm
post #3771 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Remember that JVC uses different polarization on their LCOS panels so the JVC glasses are setup to use this same polarization. If your screen retains polarization this will affect brightness quite a lot. Ron Jones had two very good posts that explained this in detail. Hopefully he won't mind if I reference his posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1300238/discussion-screens-for-3d-projection/60#post_19821601

Thanks go to Ron for his work and testing.

Thanks for the links. I'm using a Seymour screen, which according to the chart in Ron's thread, shows the SeymourCenter Stage XD material as retaining 0 polarization. If I understand this correctly, then any of the glasses should perform about the same. Is that correct?
post #3772 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I was having SMB (Win 7 64bit) streaming issues with 3D ISO w/ DTS-MA sound. They ran fine on the local HD. I ended up running an NFS service in Windows and 3D Streaming is no problem now, nice and smooth. I didn't change the MTU.

I have to get NFS working with my 600X and Unraid. No sooner do I post about my success with 3D and Samba than I have an audio dropout with a 2D title with DTS HD MA. This may take a little longer for me, because Unraid apparently has broken NFS support in the latest release candidate.
post #3773 of 8005
Zombie, I have a question. Are different IR glasses universally compatible with different projectors?
post #3774 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Thanks for the links. I'm using a Seymour screen, which according to the chart in Ron's thread, shows the SeymourCenter Stage XD material as retaining 0 polarization. If I understand this correctly, then any of the glasses should perform about the same. Is that correct?
As I understand it that is correct. If using a JVC projector you would want to use a screen with 0 polarization if using other brand glasses but if you have the JVC glasses using screens with higher polarization will be brighter.
post #3775 of 8005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Zombie, I have a question. Are different IR glasses universally compatible with different projectors?

The models I've seen are unique to each projector. I only have 1 universal pair, the Xpand 104 which can be tuned for the various IR signals. They are ok, but I'm not a fan of the specific color tint they use.
post #3776 of 8005
I see. These piqued my interest http://www.audiovideohd.fr/actualites/9096-Test-lunettes-3D-universelles-Volfoni-ActivEyes.html I must choose 3 additional pairs of glasses for my new Sharp XV-Z30000.
Edited by Elix - 3/12/13 at 7:10am
post #3777 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I thought I read that you could put in '3DSBS' in the file title and it would do it automatically

@ zombie10k and Joe Clark (OT I know) RE Mede8ter 600: The naming convention is xxxxxxxx.SBS.mkv or xxxxx.TB.mkv. Works as advertised with no problems.

Willie
post #3778 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I was having SMB (Win 7 64bit) streaming issues with 3D ISO w/ DTS-MA sound. They ran fine on the local HD. I ended up running an NFS service in Windows and 3D Streaming is no problem now, nice and smooth. I didn't change the MTU.

I have to get NFS working with my 600X and Unraid. No sooner do I post about my success with 3D and Samba than I have an audio dropout with a 2D title with DTS HD MA. This may take a little longer for me, because Unraid apparently has broken NFS support in the latest release candidate.

 

Just curious if you ever had dropouts with 2D, DTS HD MA and your PCH over Samba?  I tried llink and NFS with mixed results using my A-110 but now I'm currently feeding a C-200 with UnRAID 4.7 via ethernet using 100 Mbit and (knock on wood) have never experienced an audio dropout with full BDMV or BD iso content.  I really want to get in the game with 3D streaming but have been holding off to see if Sigma can get their SDK issues worked out.  I just started looking at the Realtek chipset models and will have to investigate further.  Are forced subtitles still an issue as this might be a deal breaker for me?  Thanks.

post #3779 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Thank you. I heard the Panasonics are pretty good, so I'll order a couple of pairs to try out the 3D on the JVC.

The hardest part of the difference is the price of the Panasonic glasses is 5x more! eek.gif
post #3780 of 8005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post

The hardest part of the difference is the price of the Panasonic glasses is 5x more! eek.gif

True, but still just a 1/3 the cost of the JVC glasses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014