or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Location of Madison station towers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Location of Madison station towers

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
I am in Watertown with DISH, which has Milwaukee locals, and use an antenna for for flexibility. I have been told that the towers for the ABC,NBC,FOX, and CBS are quite close to each other and at one time there was building construction causing possible 'interference' in some of the reception for distant users like myself (I guess is the only way I can describe it).
What I am looking for is a 'map' that can point out to me where I can point the antenna to receive the best signal for all of the stations from Madison. Right now the NBC and ABC comes in virtually at 100 but CBS and FOX come in, at the most, low 80s and when it drops to about low 70s, which happens quite a bit, they drop out.
Any help is much appreciated!
post #2 of 15
Thread Starter 
bump?
post #3 of 15
Here is a generic TV Fool list for Watertown http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcc4952562d7063
For more specific results use your address.

Now, according to the above, all of the Madison stations are at the same angle (or very close)
CBS-3 (RF-50), PBS-21 (RF-20), ABC-27 (RF-26) and FOX-47 (RF-49) all broadcast from the community tower on the far west side.
NBC-15 (RF-19) and CW-57 (RF-32) broadcast from a tower on the NBC15 property along the beltline, also on the west side, but a mile or so east of the community tower.

If your getting ABC and NBC in a 100% then your antenna is probably aimed properly. ABC broadcasts with the most power in the market, 800kW, and NBC broadcasts with the second least in the market, 155kW. What are your signal levels like on PBS and CW? It could be possible there is some kind of interference with CBS and FOX since they broadcast on 50 and 49. It's also possible your antenna needs to be slightly adjusted yet.

Post your question in the Madison-HDTV forum, you will get a lot more answers and suggestions, or maybe a moderator will move this thread there.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
I was given this site via milwaukee hd site as the madison site does not appear around anymore.

Here is my signal strengths for 57 and 21 as of Satrday night at 9:15pm:
21=100
57=100 also.

3=67
15=100
27=98
47=73

Thank you for your time
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoophead View Post

I am in Watertown with DISH, which has Milwaukee locals, and use an antenna for for flexibility. I have been told that the towers for the ABC,NBC,FOX, and CBS are quite close to each other and at one time there was building construction causing possible 'interference' in some of the reception for distant users like myself (I guess is the only way I can describe it).
What I am looking for is a 'map' that can point out to me where I can point the antenna to receive the best signal for all of the stations from Madison. Right now the NBC and ABC comes in virtually at 100 but CBS and FOX come in, at the most, low 80s and when it drops to about low 70s, which happens quite a bit, they drop out.
Any help is much appreciated!

There are only two towers in town that TV stations broadcast from, and they're within a few miles of each other on the west side of Madison. Close enough, anyway, that as the TVfool site shows, they're within a degree of each other. ABC is on the Madison Community Tower (along with CBS, Fox and PBS). NBC is on a tower behind their studio with WBUW (the CW).

In short, it doesn't sound like an antenna pointing issue, necessarily. There may be some localized interference that is affecting channels 49 (Fox) and 50 (CBS).
post #6 of 15
If you can get 21, 57, and 15, but not 3 or 47, then it's probably interference from the 700 MHz spectrum, which means you're screwed.*

*OK, you're not necessarily screwed, but you need to do some serious Googling and have a lot of luck. If you can find a filter that can reject frequencies above 700 MHz and not attenuate frequencies below 700 MHz at all, you might see an improvement. Emphasis on the word "might".
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post

If you can get 21, 57, and 15, but not 3 or 47, then it's probably interference from the 700 MHz spectrum, which means you're screwed.*
*OK, you're not necessarily screwed, but you need to do some serious Googling and have a lot of luck. If you can find a filter that can reject frequencies above 700 MHz and not attenuate frequencies below 700 MHz at all, you might see an improvement. Emphasis on the word "might".
Thanx for your attempt to resolve my situation. I am not nearly as knowledgeable as most on the terms you have brought to my attention. First off, and I am sure you probably caught it, I DO get 3 and 47 but not nearly as good as the others. And, could you educate me on the 700mhz frequency?
Thank you smile.gif
post #8 of 15
The 700 MHz spectrum was TV channels 52-69 until the DTV transition 4 years ago. At that time, it was auctioned off, mostly to Verizon and AT&T, who are now using it for 4G LTE wireless service.
post #9 of 15
If your signals are very weak, and you are using a preamp, you might need a filter. The European TV equipment companies usually offer a "GSM Filter", but it is not the right cut-off frequency for US allocations, where TV channel 51 is the top channel, ending at 698 MHz.

You could check with somebody like Microwave Filter Company, or Tin-Lee Electronics (Canada) for something appropriate.
post #10 of 15
What are you using for an antenna? (make/model)
Indoor? Attic? or Roof Mount?
What type/length of antenna cable? Any splitters?

At roughly 40 miles a good high gain antenna mounted outdoors (without a preamp) should work well. Barring major obstacles......
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

What are you using for an antenna? (make/model)
Indoor? Attic? or Roof Mount?
What type/length of antenna cable? Any splitters?
At roughly 40 miles a good high gain antenna mounted outdoors (without a preamp) should work well. Barring major obstacles......
No preamp / no filter / Winegard HD9095P - UHF Yagi roof mount / RG6 / no splitters - about 5yrs old now. Madison is about 42mi from me.
post #12 of 15
Perhaps antenna placement and/or antenna height may be the problem.......
Increasing or decreasing the height (if possible) or placement on the roof can make a difference.

This post contains a link the best describes the effects of antenna positioning.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/405999/madison-wi-hdtv/5280#post_21462380
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoophead View Post

No preamp / no filter / Winegard HD9095P - UHF Yagi roof mount / RG6 / no splitters - about 5yrs old now. Madison is about 42mi from me.

If you don't have an amplifier that's where I'd start. Many people here swear by the Channel Master 7777.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmv123 View Post

If you don't have an amplifier that's where I'd start. Many people here swear by the Channel Master 7777.
The original dual input version of the CM7777 was a highly regarded low noise preamp. The new single input version may not be as good of a performer. You may want to consider Winegard or Antennacraft instead.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Sign Affiliate RF Channel Virtual Channel Band Power City Distance Heading
WMTV NBC 19 15.1 UHF 56.0 kW Madison 45.83 mi 257.67°
WBUW CW 32 57.1 UHF 200.0 kW Janesville 45.83 mi 257.67°
WKOW-TV ABC 26 27.1 UHF 400.0 kW Madison 48.13 mi 258.72°
WHA-TV PBS 20 21.1 UHF 100.0 kW Madison 48.13 mi 258.72°
WMSN-TV FOX 49 47.1 UHF 280.0 kW Madison 48.13 mi 258.72°
WISC-TV CBS 50 3.1 UHF 603.0 kW Madison 48.13 mi 258.72°

Not really seeing the need of a amp as only the 2 channels in question, the Fox and the CBS, all have more power than all but two and those produce signals of 95-100.
But will keep it in mind if , when we get up there, we do not find critters causing some kind of bandwidth concern.

Thanks for all the ideas; will let you know when we get up there and resolve it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Location of Madison station towers