or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7? - Page 10

post #271 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Ahh...here is the problem. You mistakenly think you can just replace the CPU and that is all you need to upgrade a HTPC. You are wrong. You not only have to replace the CPU, but you also must replace the motherboard and the memory. Your "$40" is now over $140...for no noticeable improvement. If he has no skips, no jumps, no problems at all. His movies play without an issue and his live TV is without problems, why should he spend the money and the time to upgrade? And no, because you said so is not a good reason.

I have a Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with WinXP Pro. I built it approximately 6 years ago. I have no problems streaming to my TV and really have no other problems. I haven't been able to justify upgrading, although at times I wish something would go wrong with my PC so I could justify it. I suppose one of these days I will upgrade, but in the meantime it's working fine.
post #272 of 497
Have windows 7 and installed windows 8, then went back to 7 because I did a system refresh thinking that it would only delete installed apps in Metro and not all programs. Mistake. Anyway I went back to 7 and I kinda miss 8 now and thinking of reinstalling. The one major issue I had with 8 was I couldnt get my exchange account to work with Outlook and I couldnt get any hyperlinks to work in the Mail app.

I dont have touch capability on my system so if I do go back to Windows 8 I will be considering something like the Logitech T650. Thought I would share:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotions/win8-landing
post #273 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by macky66 View Post

I realy don't understand why people are putting windows 8 down, from day 1 I have never looked back its got better security, better networking and runs faster. yes the start menu is missing but you can add (classic shell) free or (start 8) $5 if you google it, I use start 8 and its very good. once I installed windows and apps I ran clean disk and deleted old windows then made a backup image, its also working better with my nas . for me anyways its much better than windows 7 In most respects and for the price of £25 download its a steal and you can get media centre for free on ms web site if you upgrade now.

Media center has always been free, I don't see how this is a great selling point. I can't figure out how to access the included antivirus or just in general find any program that doesn't show on the tile desktop. So far I'm really not happy with it and I'm definitely not installing win8 on my other machines.
Edited by jeffkro - 11/1/12 at 12:43pm
post #274 of 497
If anyone wants to give Win8 a shot, but doesn't want to deal with Metro, you may want to give StartIsBack a go.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back-beta-4/

I tried it on a W8 install under VMware and it works pretty well. Apparently the author restores W7 explorer code, causing W8 to boot straight to the desktop with a normally functioning W7 start button. Metro is not disabled, but relegated to the background. CTRL+WIN can bring up the Metro screen if you wish to visit it.
post #275 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Media center has always been free, I don't see how this is a great selling point. I can't figure out how to access the included antivirus or just in general find any program that doesn't show on the tile desktop. So far I'm really not happy with it.
You need to put things in proper persective. Media Center may have been free, but only with a much more expensive version of Windows. Win 8 currently costs about half of what the cheapest Win 7 version costs even if you have to pay for the Media Center add-on. If you don't want Media Center, then Win 8 by itself is a bargain.

Click on the search icon in the Charm bar to display all of the programs that you're used to seeing in the Start menu. There are several links to tutorials on using Windows 8 in some of the current Win 8 discussion threads.

FWIW, I think most people are put off initially by the new interface. Once you use it for a bit and find where everything is, you may learn to like it. I'm still in the "getting acquainted" phase so I haven't made an informed decision yet.
post #276 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Media center has always been free, I don't see how this is a great selling point. I can't figure out how to access the included antivirus or just in general find any program that doesn't show on the tile desktop. So far I'm really not happy with it and I'm definitely not installing win8 on my other machines.


the control panel is on the "my computer" window, which ironically is a tile on the default win8 install. or you can hit all tiles and open control panel directly.


*edit*
i guess some people are more into tech and are quicker at learning things than others. so i removed most of my last comment.
post #277 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoe View Post

If anyone wants to give Win8 a shot, but doesn't want to deal with Metro, you may want to give StartIsBack a go.
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158666-start-is-back-beta-4/
I tried it on a W8 install under VMware and it works pretty well. Apparently the author restores W7 explorer code, causing W8 to boot straight to the desktop with a normally functioning W7 start button. Metro is not disabled, but relegated to the background. CTRL+WIN can bring up the Metro screen if you wish to visit it.
That's fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately, we're still a long way from having WMC usable on Win 8:

- MCL will never work
- Ceton Networked tuner assignments will never work
- Some MCE remotes don't work
- Event Ghost is broken
- Wake to record is broken

Hopefully a few of these issues will eventually be fixed.
post #278 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzm View Post

the control panel is on the "my computer" window, which ironically is a tile on the default win8 install. or you can hit all tiles and open control panel directly.
*edit*
i guess some people are more into tech and are quicker at learning things than others. so i removed most of my last comment.

I found it, to me it seems the easiest way is to click the magnifying glass icon It seems to pull up every program you have installed. So it like the magnifying glass is your start bar. I took to android and chrome OS really quickly and have been using windows so long that I don't remember learning it, but this new interface is not intuitive. Life would have been WAY easier if they left the start bar on the desktop side, why remove a useful tool. I might have to pay $5 for that 3rd party start bar app. And by the way I'm fairly tech savvy, I can tell you that if I installed this on my parents machines I would be getting all kinds of headaches.

I think I found a way to make the tile interface somewhat useful. I get rid of all the crap MS put on the tile page and just put actual program shortcuts in there, it ends up being a pretty good uncluttered start bar alternative that way.
Edited by jeffkro - 11/1/12 at 1:24pm
post #279 of 497
I will be building a HTPC and am considering installing W8 on the box with WMC. I have not used Windows 8 but am curious if people think Windows 8 is a better OS than Windows 7 when using a remote with up, down, left, right and enter buttons for basic navigation.
post #280 of 497
Does anyone know if Win 8 supports CI+
post #281 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Ahh...here is the problem. You mistakenly think you can just replace the CPU and that is all you need to upgrade a HTPC. You are wrong. You not only have to replace the CPU, but you also must replace the motherboard and the memory. Your "$40" is now over $140...for no noticeable improvement. If he has no skips, no jumps, no problems at all. His movies play without an issue and his live TV is without problems, why should he spend the money and the time to upgrade? And no, because you said so is not a good reason.

There is a huge improvement. Do all your programs start before you even lift your finger off the mouse? Does your PC start in less than 10 sec? Does you PC even feel fast or turtle slow? And what is $140 after nearly a decade? Pentium 4's belong in the bin and shouldn't be running anything anymore.
post #282 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I will be building a HTPC and am considering installing W8 on the box with WMC. I have not used Windows 8 but am curious if people think Windows 8 is a better OS than Windows 7 when using a remote with up, down, left, right and enter buttons for basic navigation.
If WMC is the main htpc application that you're using, then Win7 is better. There are no WMC improvements in Win8 (only a couple of things that don't work). Also keep in mind that Win8 wasn't design for remotes, the main target is touch control.

This thread lists a lot of things about Win 8 in general (and deviates now and then), but for a plain WMC htpc Win7 is better (it just works...).
post #283 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If you say so. It's kind of like buying a porche with the doors locked (metro) so you can't even get in. And once you break the locks and get inside, the steering wheel is gone (no start menu), the seats have been removed (very uncomfortable to drive), the transmission has only one gear (no multitasking capability whatsoever) and the head unit is an AM radio (childish retro interface). Sure the engine is great, but if the rest of the experience sucks, what's the point. If this is modern, I'll happily stay in the past as long as I can.

+1 It's Windows ME for this generation. No doubt its a better OS for tablets and phones than 7 would be but it doesn't belong on a conventional, non-touchscreen desktop computer. When I want a tablet it will be Android.
post #284 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

+1 It's Windows ME for this generation. No doubt its a better OS for tablets and phones than 7 would be but it doesn't belong on a conventional, non-touchscreen desktop computer. When I want a tablet it will be Android.

I'm actually starting to change my mind a bit, if you set up the tile page up with shortcuts to stuff you actually use its a nice replacement for the start bar. Everything I launch pretty much immediately puts me in the desktop side. Whenever I need to launch another program I just hit the windows key and up pops the tile page I click on the program I want and it launches back onto the desktop. I really do dislike all of the microsoft apps though, the first step is to clear them all out. One thing though is that the desktop looks really flat compared to win7, trying to make it less resource intensive I'm guessing.
post #285 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

That's fantastic! Thanks for posting.
Unfortunately, we're still a long way from having WMC usable on Win 8:
- MCL will never work
- Ceton Networked tuner assignments will never work
- Some MCE remotes don't work
- Event Ghost is broken
- Wake to record is broken
Hopefully a few of these issues will eventually be fixed.

My channel logos is working..
don't use ceton tuner sharing (sorry)
My remote works just fine
not sure what event ghost is
wake to record is working just fine.

the only thing I can't get working is remote potato and I just haven't had time to mess with it.
post #286 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by macky66 View Post

I realy don't understand why people are putting windows 8 down, from day 1 I have never looked back its got better security, better networking and runs faster. yes the start menu is missing but you can add (classic shell) free or (start 8) $5 if you google it, I use start 8 and its very good. once I installed windows and apps I ran clean disk and deleted old windows then made a backup image, its also working better with my nas . for me anyways its much better than windows 7 In most respects and for the price of £25 download its a steal and you can get media centre for free on ms web site if you upgrade now.

I just removed all of the metro tiles and use the metro as a start menu, I like it.

and I agree I just registered for the media center pack for free and it doesn't even make you put in a key all you need is a different email address.
post #287 of 497
Also for anyone saying there is no reason to upgrade haven't tried rdp from windows8 machine to another windows 8 machine you get pc over ip type performance and can easily watch hd movies through an rdp connection.

For me this is the sole reason to upgrade to windows 8.
post #288 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Then why are you crying and moaning about other people's older, and still more than capable, systems? Stop worrying about the gear others run and you will not show yourself to be a fool. It really is that simple.

What? Did you read my post? There was no crying or moaning about people's older systems, just the people posting about them. No worrying hear. Clearly you need to learn to read, so you don't look like a fool. It really is that simple.
post #289 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

My channel logos is working..
The logos do indeed work. But you cannot customize the guide layout.
post #290 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

The logos do indeed work. But you cannot customize the guide layout.

my bad ... I don't do that on mine so I wouldn't know.
post #291 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Info for anyone using a Logitech Performance Mouse MX. The button area under the thumb has an option to assign it as a Start Men button. Pressing down with my thumb switches back and fourth from Desktop to Metro.

awesome tip. i will have to utilitze this on my performance mx's. i wonder if there is a way for the anywhere mx to do this.

Yes it also works on the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX. I use both mice, the Performance MX at my desktop computer, and the Anywhere MX 5 feet away at my TV viewing lounge I don't like schlepping a single mouse back and forth. I'm using SetPoint v 6.32.7.
post #292 of 497
Running Win 8 in a VMware virtual machine to avoid screwing my Win7 and XP machines.

I can invoke every function no matter how obscure with one or 2 clicks using this:

Comprehensive list of Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts
http://www.winbeta.org/guides/comprehensive-list-windows-8-keyboard-shortcuts

Try winkey+X for the power user menu

I also use a very old windows function to log on automatically, this function has been in windows practically forever, even in win95.

Open a command prompt
type: control userpasswords2
Uncheck box marked 'users must enter password to log on'
Enter password and verify.

Done

You will be logged on automatically on next boot.
And yes it works in Win8
post #293 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

There is a huge improvement. Do all your programs start before you even lift your finger off the mouse? Does your PC start in less than 10 sec? Does you PC even feel fast or turtle slow? And what is $140 after nearly a decade? Pentium 4's belong in the bin and shouldn't be running anything anymore.

Yes, all the ones I have set to autostart do so very quickly. While I have not timed it, it is fast enough for me not to notice or care. Why would I have my finger on the mouse if I am not clicking something, btw? I use a remote control with my HTPC...not a mouse (except when doing maintenance).

It appears you are saying I should spend a couple of hundred dollars to get a second or two faster response time during a reboot and no difference any other time. That sounds silly to me. I will upgrade hardware eventually, but only when the current hardware no longer provides a good experience. Doing so any sooner is a waste of money.
post #294 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

I'm actually starting to change my mind a bit, if you set up the tile page up with shortcuts to stuff you actually use its a nice replacement for the start bar. Everything I launch pretty much immediately puts me in the desktop side. Whenever I need to launch another program I just hit the windows key and up pops the tile page I click on the program I want and it launches back onto the desktop. I really do dislike all of the microsoft apps though, the first step is to clear them all out. One thing though is that the desktop looks really flat compared to win7, trying to make it less resource intensive I'm guessing.

This is the key. Rather than fight against it, work WITH it. I put tiles to my most often used programs on the Metro interface and I love it. Sure, it drops me onto the desktop as it opens the non-Metro aware programs, but who cares?
post #295 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post

What? Did you read my post? There was no crying or moaning about people's older systems, just the people posting about them. No worrying hear. Clearly you need to learn to read, so you don't look like a fool. It really is that simple.

Why post at all about the older hardware people are using? You clearly wanted to get involved, then cry when called out on it. If you do not care, do not post. It really is that simple.
post #296 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohns1997SS View Post

I just removed all of the metro tiles and use the metro as a start menu, I like it.
and I agree I just registered for the media center pack for free and it doesn't even make you put in a key all you need is a different email address.

Yup, I think the word needs to get out that this is the way to run win8 on a standard PC.
post #297 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

This is the key. Rather than fight against it, work WITH it. I put tiles to my most often used programs on the Metro interface and I love it. Sure, it drops me onto the desktop as it opens the non-Metro aware programs, but who cares?

I prefer that they launch on the desktop, MS should make a setting where you can choose which they launch to.
post #298 of 497
Just headed out to one of those microsoft popup stores and played around with a surface and really enjoyed it. I agree that metro menu is for you to put whatever is useful to you, that's why microsoft has the whole line about this finally being a personalized computer or something like that. I really liked how that charm bar worked you could easily and quickly get to the settings, search etc and it looks like that share thing will be pretty cool. Like you could build a spreadsheet, bring up the share menu with a list of things you could share to, pick sharepoint and bring it right up to load to the web without having to save the file and open other programs, then open up the same file. This stuff isn't just going to be useful for posting pictures on facebook there are some really cool fundamental things that microsoft is doing here.

To close an app you just swipe down from the top of the screen to the bottom which is way easier than hunting for the x to close something, on trackpads that support windows 8 drivers you can do the touch commands on the trackpad and not the screen which is still just as useful and way easier than trying to close programs on a trackpad in win7. I haven't messed around with a mouse yet so I don't know how hard these things are to do with a mouse but from what I've used closing and moving between programs is much easier. Also from what it sounds like if an app is not in focus it is put in a suspended state where no processing is done on it. It stays in RAM and if another resource needs the RAM it is closed automatically. So there really may not be much of a need to close these unless you don't want to flip through all of the apps.

I really didn't get a chance to use the desktop much as it was just a RT tablet but I really enjoyed the metro aspect. I likely won't get a chance to play with the desktop much until I actually load 8 on my PC but I was thinking of just picking up both the surface and windows 8 for my laptop tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I have a pretty simple setup so I won't have to worry about it integrating with too much but we'll see how it goes. The big thing I can see being an issue so far is the apps. I can control my denon through the web interface which I almost like more than the denon app anyway but it may take a while to get apps for other pieces of equipment. This should get better eventually but it's the biggest problem I've seen so far.
Edited by Karn - 11/1/12 at 7:36pm
post #299 of 497
I took the leap Monday and installed Windows 8 Pro. I didn’t do a clean install due the complex system I have and the number of programs and hardware that would have to be reinstalled. I chose the upgrade from Windows 7, keeping existing settings and files. This process took longer almost 55 minutes. The install asked one question, uninstall MS Security Essentials? The anti-virus is now part of the OS. I did the whole install within Windows 7. Upon completion Metro appeared, when I flipped to my desktop it was as the same original 7. Wallpaper, folders and programs were all there. MS Office, Chrome and Firefox. IE10 is remarkably fast. So far I’m extremely pleased, almost high. For those who can't live with the Start button, IObit has a free install, now my Start button even looks like the new Windows logo.
post #300 of 497
Re: jeffkro the ioBit free program has the option to skip Metro on start up and you get the Start button.
> http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7?