or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7? - Page 12

post #331 of 497
Did you reboot after the recoding location change? I would, but I am still a little paranoid about the need to reboot MS OSs.
post #332 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I think you missed the part about having to type everything you want to run and the primitive graphics from the pre-3.1 days. I've tried very hard to adapt and to like it, but I simply can't. Everything I've tried is difficult, if not impossible without a keyboard.
It's not a matter of learning. It simply doesn't work. There's no way to use Win8 with just a mouse.

While in Metro, you simply right click the screen anywhere there is not an icon and then move the mouse to the lower right side of the screen to where it says All Apps. Left click it. You are then free to hunt and peck for your program just like you are used to doing.

For me, Win8 is off the radar for my HTPC, but not because of these silly complaints. It is off the radar because my Ceton Cablecard Tuner does not in Win8 yet.
post #333 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Did you reboot after the recoding location change? I would, but I am still a little paranoid about the need to reboot MS OSs.

Yeah. I rebooted. The interesting thing is that when I try and record something immediately, it starts to say.. I don't have enough space. Then it records anyway.j
post #334 of 497
Odd...maybe it is a bug.
post #335 of 497
Assuming one does have enough disk space, the "... not enough disk space ..." notice is a bug that some WMC users experience. My first encounter was after upgrading to Win 8 Pro. Whenever I schedule a recording I get the notice along with a yellow warning triangle instead of the red orb. However once the recording commences the usual red orb does show up in the taskbar tray and records as usual.

Even though it's only cosmetic, and aware that the WMC team was disbanded long ago, I hope that Microsoft will find a way to squash this particular bug.
post #336 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you don't like metro, just install Pokki. I just did and it replaces metro with a small task bar like Windows 7 (although it has button for metro if you still want to access it). It's actually even better than the Windows 7 task bar. It's free. Install it. Stop complaining about metro.

Startmenu8 also works great.
post #337 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

...for a dedicated HTPC, you can accomplish a lot without a keyboard once it's configured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post


works great. built-in trackball. full functionality and compact


it may have some quirks, but I use enjoy and use the Logitech DiNovo Mini:

this device gives me a keyboard/mouse use that I need such as to enter websites addresses (I watch a lot sports via online broadband packages, and few other things only viewable via a web browser and flash), and also the remote function for things such as Plex and Media Player. It's small so I can use it from couch but storage is no worse than another remote.

And yes, it works in Windows 8 and gives the same experience as using a keyboard and mouse. Metro is a bit wonky.
post #338 of 497
have you guys been playing with xbox music? this is a pretty friggin amazing service.

I didn't get the allure of Spotify (used Pandora, Last.FM, and had my own collection of MP3s). But now I get it... I've been piling tons of songs into my music collection and discovered artists and songs I would've never listened to. And it's not random like Pandora or Last.FM. I can listen to whatever song I want at any time I want. And the songs in your library feel like you own them.

Now, Xbox Music kind of sucks for your own MP3s. They're treated like the stepchildren of your library. But being able to browse nearly the entire music catalog and add any song that you desire to your own collection feels immensely amazing.

For my own MP3s, I still end up using WMP and WinAmp. But for everything else, I'm addicted to Xbox Music.

I still think Xbox Music needs its own volume control. It's stupid to have to bring up the charms settings and change the volume there. Or to go to the volume properties to change it. You need to be able to change the volume immediately, not add extra steps.
post #339 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

it may have some quirks, but I use enjoy and use the Logitech DiNovo Mini:

this device gives me a keyboard/mouse use that I need such as to enter websites addresses (I watch a lot sports via online broadband packages, and few other things only viewable via a web browser and flash), and also the remote function for things such as Plex and Media Player. It's small so I can use it from couch but storage is no worse than another remote.
And yes, it works in Windows 8 and gives the same experience as using a keyboard and mouse. Metro is a bit wonky.

android and unified remote - works great
post #340 of 497
I just purchased an OEM 64-bit full version of Windows 8 Professional. I finally had a chance to use the OS and can see why people are reluctant to upgrade. Three factors made me chose Windows 8 instead of buying Windows 7. One... this is a new build and I wanted a clean install, instead of upgrading down the road. Two... The fact that their are third party plug ins that can start Windows 8 with nearly the same desing as Windows 7 (no metro). 3.... All the comments about about how much faster the boot time is and how much more responsive Windows 8 is compared to Windows 7.

I will still have to buy Windows Media Center for my new build but I figured once I build this box, their will be no upgrading for years.
post #341 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I will still have to buy Windows Media Center for my new build but I figured once I build this box, their will be no upgrading for years.

You have until January 31st to download Media Center for FREE!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
post #342 of 497
right now pro users will get it free like guylr said. after that date, it's $10 for a pro user.

if you own the regular windows 8 package, in order to get WMC, you have to upgrade standard Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro and that Pro upgrade pack costs $70 right now (will go up to $100 once the promo deal is over).
post #343 of 497
Here's my situation - I'm building a new primary HTPC and already have a Windows 8 Pro license. I do not have any Windows 7 licenses free at the moment, and really don't want to go through the struggle of moving my Win7 Pro upgrade license over to a brand new PC. Therefore, since it would be another $80-100 to buy a new legitimate Win7 license, I'm heavily leaning toward going with Win8 for this new build.

Can anyone give me a straight answer on the following list of things I currently use in Win7 and whether or not they'll work in Win8. I see lots of conflicting posts about whether something works or not, never will, or may in the future. I use WMC for pretty much everything:

1) Ceton InfiniTV (no network tuner sharing - have a Prime for that) - this should work

2) My Channel Logos - just use the logos

3) MediaBrowser - have read conflicting posts on this. Assume if it is not working currently, it will in the near future. Anyone have success with this yet?

4) Shark007 Codecs to play 1080p MKVs and stream HD audio within WMC

5) Harmony remote w/ an HP MCE usb ir receiver
a) Does this work in Metro to navigate around and launch things?
b) Assume it will work as normal within WMC

6) Netflix within WMC? Don't use this too often and can presumably launch from the Metro app anyway if needed.

7) Have 2 of the HP 280n extenders. Have heard this is a no go, and probably will never work. Anybody have any insight on this? I can extend to a different Win7 PC, just won't be as tuner efficient, so not a total deal breaker.

Thanks for your responses.
post #344 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I still think Xbox Music needs its own volume control. It's stupid to have to bring up the charms settings and change the volume there. Or to go to the volume properties to change it. You need to be able to change the volume immediately, not add extra steps.

Any particular reason you can't just use the volume buttons on your keyboard? wink.gif
post #345 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Any particular reason you can't just use the volume buttons on your keyboard? wink.gif

on one of my desktops and on my laptop I do. But my main desktop, I have a real old school IBM keyboard (the loud clicky one) so I don't have any volume buttons on that on. The keyboard is so old, it doesn't have a windows key so I had to remap one of the other keys to be a windows key.
post #346 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

on one of my desktops and on my laptop I do. But my main desktop, I have a real old school IBM keyboard (the loud clicky one) so I don't have any volume buttons on that on. The keyboard is so old, it doesn't have a windows key so I had to remap one of the other keys to be a windows key.

A $20 Microsoft wired keyboard/mouse combo would be a worthy replacement - it has media buttons along the top, play/pause and volume/mute.
post #347 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

A $20 Microsoft wired keyboard/mouse combo would be a worthy replacement - it has media buttons along the top, play/pause and volume/mute.

unless it's a mechanical keyboard, it's a no go for me. i don't think Microsoft makes any mechanical keyboards.
post #348 of 497
Just made the leap from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and must say I love it with classic shell. Downloaded OS and saved as ISO and did a clean install (yes can clean install with upgrade, just google it) After install started loading a few drivers, Windows 8 downloaded alot of them for me. I am running a I5 2500k CPU with a Nvidia GTS 450. Xbmc works great and am using MPC-HC as extenal player with LAV Filters and Madvr. Applied for free Media Center Product Code and once I received it downloaded it and have had no issues "its the same as Windows 7". Now the bad. Could not get Reclock to work properly so had to uninstall it and go with a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. Also TMT5 will not open within Media Center but will open a play fine from desk top from tile. Really have not did much trouble shooting on this. But other than those few quirks I love it.
post #349 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pti711 View Post

Just made the leap from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and must say I love it with classic shell. Downloaded OS and saved as ISO and did a clean install (yes can clean install with upgrade, just google it) After install started loading a few drivers, Windows 8 downloaded alot of them for me. I am running a I5 2500k CPU with a Nvidia GTS 450. Xbmc works great and am using MPC-HC as extenal player with LAV Filters and Madvr. Applied for free Media Center Product Code and once I received it downloaded it and have had no issues "its the same as Windows 7". Now the bad. Could not get Reclock to work properly so had to uninstall it and go with a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. Also TMT5 will not open within Media Center but will open a play fine from desk top from tile. Really have not did much trouble shooting on this. But other than those few quirks I love it.

Speaking of GTS 450, I just bought a HD7850 so my GTS 450 is up for sale.
post #350 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pti711 View Post

Just made the leap from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and must say I love it with classic shell. Downloaded OS and saved as ISO and did a clean install (yes can clean install with upgrade, just google it) After install started loading a few drivers, Windows 8 downloaded alot of them for me. I am running a I5 2500k CPU with a Nvidia GTS 450. Xbmc works great and am using MPC-HC as extenal player with LAV Filters and Madvr. Applied for free Media Center Product Code and once I received it downloaded it and have had no issues "its the same as Windows 7". Now the bad. Could not get Reclock to work properly so had to uninstall it and go with a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. Also TMT5 will not open within Media Center but will open a play fine from desk top from tile. Really have not did much trouble shooting on this. But other than those few quirks I love it.

WRT TMT 5, did you install it after installing media center or before?
post #351 of 497
I installed TMT5 after media center install. May try to uninstall media center and reinstall to see if that will fix the issue.
post #352 of 497
If the PC in question is a HTPC and you just want to use Media Center and maybe an extra app or two for playing media not supported by WMC, I see no reason to switch from Win 8 if you're already running Win 7. WMC is unchanged with Win 8 so there's no advantage to upgrading to something that doesn't have any additional features designed for the purpose at hand. If you're building a PC from scratch and don't have an OS yet, then Win 8 is currently the less expensive choice. The only real caveat is whether you can find the right drivers for your hardware to use in Win 8. My advice would be to research your build first and then decide if you can go with Win 8.
post #353 of 497
Actually, WMC is changed for the worse in 8 - there are no new features and existing non-Xbox extenders and network bridging no longer work. Plus it's not as easy to set WMC to run fullscreen at boot.

If you're running 7MC as your whole house DVR, these are good reasons not to 'upgrade' to 8MC - breaking perfectly good extenders in particular was just stupid and unnecessary.
post #354 of 497
Excellent point. I had forgotten about the lack of legacy extender support. The network sharing issue with the Ceton tuners is well known and I figured anyone that's using it with Win 7 is already aware of this shortcoming in Win 8.
post #355 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Excellent point. I had forgotten about the lack of legacy extender support. The network sharing issue with the Ceton tuners is well known and I figured anyone that's using it with Win 7 is already aware of this shortcoming in Win 8.

My SiliconDust HDHomerun does not work either.
So far I am only testing 8 in a virtual machine.
post #356 of 497
My SiliconDust HDHomerun is working with win8
post #357 of 497
SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners are supposed to work with Win 8. Check and make sure you have their latest drivers and utilities installed.

http://www.missingremote.com/news/2012-11-01/silicondust-hdhomerun-products-ready-windows-8
post #358 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhorn View Post

My SiliconDust HDHomerun is working with win8

Looks like it does not like virtual machines
post #359 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

Looks like it does not like virtual machines

Installed 8 on a desktop to replace Vista and HDHomerun works fine.

So yes the virtual machine is the problem with HDHomerun.
Edited by catmother - 11/12/12 at 7:30am
post #360 of 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

unless it's a mechanical keyboard, it's a no go for me. i don't think Microsoft makes any mechanical keyboards.

I have two ALPS keyboards that I have been using for a great many years. They feel great. I wouldn't use anything else. I am beginning to think they will never wear out.

The computers I build for others always have the high end keyboards with buttons for everything except how to fry fish, but I like the feel of these old mechanical things.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse on the machine hooked up to the TV. Cables running across the floor would get eaten by my cat. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8... worth an upgrade from 7?