Originally Posted by tman247
Here's what you'd get with Windows 8 that's worthwhile for an HTPC;
Faster boot times (but who reboots their HTPC continuously though!).
Here's what's not worthwhile;
A tripe of an interface in Metro that you will never truly be able to get away from, and looks like it was designed by AND FOR a 6 year old
A hugely dumbed down O/S of immense scale that removes further huge amounts of configuration options unless you want to revert to hacking the registry
A backup/restore system that doesn't actually backup what you want or what you'd expect
A 'flattened' desktop interface that wouldn't look out of place in Windows 3.1
A search system that is so particular about what it indexes it makes it almost useless
A constant wrench as your thrown from the classic desktop (designed for productivity) to a touch interface (designed for consumption)
An interface like Metro that only runs apps full screen, makes a mockery of multi-tasking and causes everything to be so much harder than it needs to be
A version of MC that will no longer auto-start from boot, now costs money to actually own (but has had zero effort put into it) and is only included to appease the same people who would slate MS to the hills if they dropped it (as they surely will in Win9)
Multi-monitor support that doesn't work properly with the Metro/Desktop cludge
A modern, 21st centry O/S that forces people back into the necessity of using hot-keys to actually navigate the damn interface!
Windows 8 will make the Vista failure look like a success. 'nuff said.
- Rubbish. The Modern UI is intuitive - type to search, Win + Q to view all installed apps. Win key to enter the Desktop. I have Chrome pinned to the Start menu as the first tile. PC boots in 5 sec (I kid you not), click the tile, ready to go.
- Try it. All the config options are still there.
- Again, try again.
- ? The rejigged Aero is fine
- ? Searches are filtered automatically on the Start menu. Look carefully
- Rubbish. Pin your installed app to the taskbar in the desktop and you won't even see Metro
- Apps full screen I understand. Its to maximize a tablet's limited screen size.
- MC is free until January if you get Pro
- Haven't tried multi monitors
- More rubbish
Win 8 is an excellent OS. I upgraded for $15 and have 4 $15 licences left - one will go on my gaming system and one on my HTPC. Stop hating and actually use it for a day, and try to use it instead of bitching about it. Its very fast and very slick. By all means stay with a legacy OS, if you are on XP you shouldn't be using a PC. If you are on 7, you should give 8 a shot.