or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 12

post #331 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

dark chip 3 instead of 2, 6x color wheel instead of 4x, brighter in both 2D and 3D, large improvement in native contrast. I DO see how it could be better! almost sounds too good to be true so I'm eagerly awaiting reviews.

The only obvious advantage from what we know is that W7000 has dynamic iris, which I turned off all the time..
post #332 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

dark chip 3 instead of 2, 6x color wheel instead of 4x, brighter in both 2D and 3D, large improvement in native contrast. I DO see how it could be better! almost sounds too good to be true so I'm eagerly awaiting reviews.

eek.gif And they are still selling the W7000 for 2x as much?
post #333 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthydro View Post

Here's my scenario using the BenQ calculator for the W1080ST:
screen size: 120" screen
ceiling height: 8'
distance from projector to screen: 6'
distance from ceiling to screen top: 1' 6" (screen mounted 1/3 eye level)
distance from ceiling to projector: 1' 5"
So according to the calculator I would need a 1' 5" (17") projector mount to achieve that setup. Add in the projector height (maybe 5"?) and it's like a 22" drop from the ceiling, which for a room with 8' ceiling, it's kinda in your face lol.
I agree, that is kinda in your face! The numbers for the W1080ST appear to be worse than the W1070 (I only considered the W1070 in my earlier post). Any chance the W1070 could fit your room?
post #334 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

I agree, that is kinda in your face! The numbers for the W1080ST appear to be worse than the W1070 (I only considered the W1070 in my earlier post). Any chance the W1070 could fit your room?

Yeah I'm definitely considering the W1070 as well but problem is I want to use the Xbox Kinect so I might need a short throw projector to not be in the way of the projection. I used the calculator to see if the W1070 would be any better and it was 2" higher than the W1080ST, which is an improvement but still kinda hanging low (W1070 = 15". W1080ST = 17"). Looks like I might have to tilt the projector and use keystone, cuz no way my gf would let me hang a projector that low in the living room biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help.
post #335 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

eek.gif And they are still selling the W7000 for 2x as much?
I know, right? That's why it seems to good to be true. All the "problems" of the w7000 (loud iris, poor native contrast, rainbows) seem to be improved on the w1070 and the price cut in half to boot. It looks like they just cut out the stuff everyone doesnt use (frame interpolation, detail enhancement, the iris, etc) but kept all the really good stuff and improved upon it. Is this possible? I hope so!
Edited by tallnick - 11/30/12 at 11:06pm
post #336 of 8418
I'm sorry in advance..but i'm a noob to all this. I just want to get this projector right now...but i'm confused when I used the calculator. I have a room that has 8ft ceilings. I want to mount the projector 13ft from the screen. I want the screen to be 100", and centered on the wall (2ft from top, 2ft from bottom). The screen is about 4ft high. All I want to know is how low I will need to mount my projector from the ceiling. Also..if it does need to go on a shelf about 6ft from the floor, can i build some sort of shelf that will minimize the noise from the fan? thank you!!
post #337 of 8418
one more question...the ceiling to projector number given...is that from ceiling to the top of projector, or from ceiling to the middle of the lens?
post #338 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 View Post

I'm sorry in advance..but i'm a noob to all this. I just want to get this projector right now...but i'm confused when I used the calculator. I have a room that has 8ft ceilings. I want to mount the projector 13ft from the screen. I want the screen to be 100", and centered on the wall (2ft from top, 2ft from bottom). The screen is about 4ft high. All I want to know is how low I will need to mount my projector from the ceiling. Also..if it does need to go on a shelf about 6ft from the floor, can i build some sort of shelf that will minimize the noise from the fan? thank you!!

You can't get 100" image diagonal from 13ft.
120'"-155" from ~ 13ft
Maximum distance for 100" ~ 11ft.

Mounting the projector:
Offset for 100" - 2,4" (center of lens will be 11ft away and 2.4" higher from top of the screen image)
Offset for 120" - 2.9"
post #339 of 8418
Well, the sales person was obviously optimistic, my tracking number says I will have it Next Monday here in the states. Good Luck all.

Hopefully someone will be able to give a good review before then, since this is my first ever PJ, and I havent ordered a screen, I doubt mine would be useful.
post #340 of 8418
I noticed in Projector Calculator that W7000 from 13 ft gives 35 ft, while W1070 gave 16 fl. Are not both supposed to be 2000 lumens? The good thing about this is I do not need ND filter, which was mandatory for W7000.
post #341 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Like most low cost projectors this one is meant to be hung from the ceiling or set on a coffee table (like in the photo). The small lens shift will allow you to move the projector a little bit higher or a little bit lower and still hit the same screen, but it certainly will not allow you to mount it on a shelf aimed at the middle of the screen without physically tipping it and activating keystone correction to adjust for the resulting trapezoidal image. As I think has been stated before, this pretty much excludes this projector from being used with a high gain screen which requires the projector to be close to eye level for maximum brightness.

Unless you tilt the screen. Standard set-up for parabolic screens like my old gain 13 Vutec with bottom mounted projectors, is a forward tilt, with ceiling mounting you may have to hang it flat to the wall.
Edited by donaldk - 12/1/12 at 5:51pm
post #342 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

dark chip 3 instead of 2, 6x color wheel instead of 4x, brighter in both 2D and 3D, large improvement in native contrast. I DO see how it could be better! almost sounds too good to be true so I'm eagerly awaiting reviews.

BenQ W7000 has same 6x, 6 segment RGBRGB wheel tongue.gif
Not sure about chip.
Can't wait to someone confirm 1700Lm after calibration (from Kraine's test).
post #343 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

BenQ W7000 has same 6x, 6 segment RGBRGB wheel tongue.gif
Not sure about chip.
Can't wait to someone confirm 1700Lm after calibration (from Kraine's test).
it's definitely dark chip 3, and the w7000's 6x color wheel only works in torch mode, assuming the w1070 works in all modes, normal, eco, etc. definitely looking forward to seeing if it is all true.
post #344 of 8418
I'm in the market for a new PJ myself and just wondering how this one stacks up against the Mits HC4000? A couple years back I had a HC3800(got nothing right now though) and liked it except for the RBE, weak black levels and wished it was brighter. I heard the hc4000 has better blacks now but the RBE and brightness are the same.


From what I uderstand(just from reading here) that the RBE and brightness are better in these PJ's(please correct me if I'm wrong though) but how does it compare with blacks, colors and sharpness? Is their anything you would guys would say is better about the HC4000 or do you guys think w1070 hands down?
post #345 of 8418
K after reading the entire thread a couple times it looks as though it may be too early for that question.
post #346 of 8418

humm, on that german forum: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-12408-14.html

 

there's a W1070 owner saying:

Quote:
In Robin Hood, I enabled the Eco Mode and in some scenes (light/dark changes) I can see a step-like brightness correction of the entire image. I was told by a user that this is not unusual in Eco mode. In normal mode, this is not noticeable anymore!

 

So apparently the lamp brightness is variable and works as an iris, doing visible pumping in bright/dark scenes changes? And the only way to avoid that would be to run it in normal mode huh?

 

I guess I would have a few questions to early adopters before I'd pull the trigger please, including:

 

1) is there any pumping effect in eco mode as this owner said?

 

2) can you hear an audible difference between the 3 user mode presets? The w7k only runs the wheel at 6X in "dynamic" mode so this should be audible as the the two others(including "cinema") run at 4X only. I wouldn't be surprised if the W1070 used the same trick as 5X was a banding feast on my HC3100, 4X was just fine though.

 

3) is there any "neutral" sharpness setting? apparently there isn't on the w7k, it's either blurry or sharpened duh.

 

4) does it accept 1080p/48Hz? or only 24Hz?

 

5) how does the wheel speed audibly fluctuate between 1080p @24/25/30/48/50/60?


Edited by leeperry - 12/2/12 at 9:37am
post #347 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

I know, right? That's why it seems to good to be true. All the "problems" of the w7000 (loud iris, poor native contrast, rainbows) seem to be improved on the w1070 and the price cut in half to boot. It looks like they just cut out the stuff everyone doesnt use (frame interpolation, detail enhancement, the iris, etc) but kept all the really good stuff and improved upon it. Is this possible? I hope so!

Personally I think it's foolish to "bake in" such image processing tech into a projector. Much better to use software and/or do all that on a separate processor upstream, which is independently upgradable.

I used this screen size calculator that has a drop-down option for the BenQ w1070 and realized I will have to be sitting quite close to the projector to get a good mix of brightness, screen size, and seating distance in my place, which means I will probably be building the custom enclosure for noise reduction. I had an idea to place it at the far back of my loft (30 feet from the front wall), so it would be out of the way, but this projector can't throw that far, and besides it would be way too huge, too dim, etc. It appears as though the closest recommended seating distance is a bit in front of whereever you place the projector, as others here have mentioned, around 12-16 feet is ideal.

At 13 feet, with a 2.35 : 1 screen, it'll be around 100-120 inches of screen width. A ten-foot wide TV !!! I can't believe I'm about to get this, kind of crazy when you think about it. Also, this forum is great, the 2:35:1 aspect ratio is very do-able via PC settings, I'm definitely gonna try and build a SILVER screen and constant height setup eventually. So what if the projector is so cheap, that's all the more reason to upgrade it in a few years' time. I honestly don't see anamorphic lenses going away. Some people were mentioning C-stock UH480s for like $650? would love to get some links to that, I could even get that sooner rather than later.
post #348 of 8418
It appears that there is still confusion about the color wheel speed on this projector? Anyone got any closer to determine whether it is actually 3x or 6x speed?

I am asking because I am considering to buy this projector to replace my old Mitsubishi HC3000 - which got a 4x color wheel - but I wouldn't like if the W1070 had more rainbows. Anyone got an idea how the W1070 would compare to my HC3000?

Thanks smile.gif
post #349 of 8418

well, I used to own a HC3100 and I'm seriously considering ordering it so I would gladly report back.

 

I've RTFM and apparently there are 3 settings for the lamp: eco, smart eco and normal. Only smart eco fluctuates the lamp power based on the incoming picture brightness, so vanilla eco should be fine.

 

I also read that on the w7k there wasn't any "neutral" sharpness setting, it was either blurry or sharpened.....so I would really appreciate some feedback on that matter too.

post #350 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wDK View Post

It appears that there is still confusion about the color wheel speed on this projector? Anyone got any closer to determine whether it is actually 3x or 6x speed?
I am asking because I am considering to buy this projector to replace my old Mitsubishi HC3000 - which got a 4x color wheel - but I wouldn't like if the W1070 had more rainbows. Anyone got an idea how the W1070 would compare to my HC3000?
Thanks smile.gif
Post of technically highly educated guy from russian forum (awful google transl):
chiv
"You seem to confuse the physical speed of light filter (color wheel) and an equivalent rate of change of the basis of color RGB, which indicate on the specifications and tests. Physical speed filter all DLP 7200/9000/10800 rpm, ie conditionally 2/2.5/3x. Duplication RGB triad already gives an equivalent rate 4/5/6x. In HD33 in 2D physical speed 2 (equivalent to 4), and in 3D mode filter accelerates to nat. 3 (equivalent to 6x).
According to prior data W1070 in all modes Phys. 3x equiv. 6x" link http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:20489-29#833

Also, Kraine asked BenQ France, they said it's 6x. From chinese review http://www.pconline.com.cn/projector/review/1211/3060242_4.html again 6x.
So, probably W1070 is better then HC3000 on RBE, you shouldn't worry about it.
Edited by Yusuf.0088 - 12/2/12 at 10:50am
post #351 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

Post of technically highly educated guy from russian forum (awful google transl):
chiv
"You seem to confuse the physical speed of light filter (color wheel) and an equivalent rate of change of the basis of color RGB, which indicate on the specifications and tests. Physical speed filter all DLP 7200/9000/10800 rpm, ie conditionally 2/2.5/3x. Duplication RGB triad already gives an equivalent rate 4/5/6x. In HD33 in 2D physical speed 2 (equivalent to 4), and in 3D mode filter accelerates to nat. 3 (equivalent to 6x).
According to prior data W1070 in all modes Phys. 3x equiv. 6x" link http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:20489-29#833
Also Kraine asked BenQ France, they said it's 6x. From chinese review http://www.pconline.com.cn/projector/review/1211/3060242_4.html again 6x.
So, probably W1070 is better then HC3000 on RBE, you shouldn't worry about it.

thanks for that. that's what we've been thinking/hoping was the case. people should be receiving their w1070's this week so soonish we might get some reviews.
post #352 of 8418
Just bought the new Benq glasses D3, which is only 35 grams, less expensive than ZD201, 144hz refresh rate and almost double the contrast of the older BQ glasses. I also ordered 3Active glasses from Amazon. I hope 3D turns out as enjoyable as in W7000.
post #353 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf.0088 View Post

Post of technically highly educated guy from russian forum (awful google transl):
chiv
"You seem to confuse the physical speed of light filter (color wheel) and an equivalent rate of change of the basis of color RGB, which indicate on the specifications and tests. Physical speed filter all DLP 7200/9000/10800 rpm, ie conditionally 2/2.5/3x. Duplication RGB triad already gives an equivalent rate 4/5/6x. In HD33 in 2D physical speed 2 (equivalent to 4), and in 3D mode filter accelerates to nat. 3 (equivalent to 6x).
According to prior data W1070 in all modes Phys. 3x equiv. 6x" link http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:20489-29#833
Also, Kraine asked BenQ France, they said it's 6x. From chinese review http://www.pconline.com.cn/projector/review/1211/3060242_4.html again 6x.
So, probably W1070 is better then HC3000 on RBE, you shouldn't worry about it.

Don't most budget DLP projectors have a 3x 6-segment color wheel on specs? Like the BenQ W1060 - which I've read can have more rainbows than other models? But if all projectors got either 2/2.5 or 3x physical speed then how could the wheel be faster (or appear faster) than the W1060 considering that W1060 got a 6-segment color wheel?

I may have missed something, I still think it's a bit confusing smile.gif
post #354 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

Just bought the new Benq glasses D3, which is only 35 grams, less expensive than ZD201, 144hz refresh rate and almost double the contrast of the older BQ glasses. I also ordered 3Active glasses from Amazon. I hope 3D turns out as enjoyable as in W7000.

I'm really curious to see how the D3 compare to the ZD201. Here in canada the price for the ZD201 was the same as the D3 so I went with the ZD201.
post #355 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

I'm really curious to see how the D3 compare to the ZD201. Here in canada the price for the ZD201 was the same as the D3 so I went with the ZD201.

Where did you find your ZD201s?
post #356 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

Where did you find your ZD201s?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-ZD201-DLP-Link-3D-Glasses/dp/B004J457JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354494592&sr=8-1
Price went up a bit (2- 3 pounds). Just make sure you buy when it says "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk." otherwise they don't ship to Canada. Turned out to be ~200 all included for 2 pairs (shipping, duties and taxes). The BenQ D3 are 85 + taxes from costco, 100 + taxes + shipping at NCIX (or 80 + shipping + taxes if you buy then at the same time as the W1070).
post #357 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optoma-ZD201-DLP-Link-3D-Glasses/dp/B004J457JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354494592&sr=8-1
Price went up a bit (2- 3 pounds). Just make sure you buy when it says "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk." otherwise they don't ship to Canada. Turned out to be ~200 all included for 2 pairs (shipping, duties and taxes). The BenQ D3 are 85 + taxes from costco, 100 + taxes + shipping at NCIX (or 80 + shipping + taxes if you buy then at the same time as the W1070).

Already have the D3s. smile.gif

Just ordered ZDs, thanks.
post #358 of 8418
So when is this coming out in the US? I am in the market for a new projector, my Mits HD1000u is a little long in the tooth and just had to reset bulb so not much like in the thing now. for about $1k this looks like it might be good. Any idea how it does in gaming?
post #359 of 8418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

Already have the D3s. smile.gif
Just ordered ZDs, thanks.

What is your impression of D3 glasses?
post #360 of 8418
ZD201 works with W1070 as Kraine said, although it is not 144hz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$