or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 134

post #3991 of 8424
Join my club.
post #3992 of 8424
Did you insert a spare sd memory card into the Panasonic? Some blu-rays want that extra ram.
post #3993 of 8424
I have my 110 going HDMI to my Pioneer receiver then HDMI to the w1070 with no problems at all. smile.gif
post #3994 of 8424

1.Hoya 72mm 2X Neutral Density Multi-Coated Lens Filter
2. 62-72mm Step-Up Metal Adapter Ring / 62mm Lens to 72mm Accessory


The above fits almost like a glove on the front of the projector barrel, it is a bit lopsided but not noticeable and the projector lights go through with no problem and best of all the picture is even better with this filter have to thank DaGamePimp for this one.
Edited by zapper - 4/6/13 at 4:03pm
post #3995 of 8424
Ok now we have about 4 or 5 different size ND filters being reported, let's get some clarification. wink.gif

Can those of you using filters please use my pics below to describe (or show by edit) or post your own pic and state which size filter you are using (and how it fits).

Using a filter on the lens itself (#1) will likely mean a refocus every time it is placed/removed so that will not be ideal for those that use both 2D & 3D.



* Here are two examples...

# 1


# 2


Thank you,
Jason
Edited by DaGamePimp - 4/6/13 at 3:59pm
post #3996 of 8424
I am using a 67mm filter and it fits in the last section of the lense housing and does not change focus etc, i.e. it does not move when the lense is focused and the lense does not move when you remove or replace the filter in the housing.

It looks like the following diagram, but please note that you need to keep the filter in place by tape or some other method as it is not a push fit. Also remember that you need to fit a tab of tape or similar material to enable you to remove the filter safely and easily.

# 2

Edited by OZReddog - 4/6/13 at 4:36pm
post #3997 of 8424
I know that what I am about to ask, is not entirely to do with the BenQ W1070 , but my Onkyo 515 has issues with the Projector so now looking for a new receiver that would work with the Projector, any suggestions?
post #3998 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

I know that what I am about to ask, is not entirely to do with the BenQ W1070 , but my Onkyo 515 has issues with the Projector so now looking for a new receiver that would work with the Projector, any suggestions?

Yes put Onkyo 515 into the search box near the top of the page and ask the question in an appropriate forum where people are more likely to know this product. You are more likely to get a knowledgeable answer.
post #3999 of 8424
I'm getting close to buying this projection, but still need to figure out the optimal screen size. This will be installed in a bonus room upstairs and won't be a dedicated theater room. The room is 16.5 feet by 23 feet with a 9 foot ceiling. I'll likely have the seating about 17 feet back. I plan on having a motorized ceiling mount screen installed, but am undecided between a 120" and a 135" projector. Which size do you thing would make more sense given my parameters?
post #4000 of 8424
Definitely the bigger screen, though I'd move the closest seats to around 14 feet back instead of 17 feet which puts you at around 1.2x to 1.25x screen width:seating distance at 135" screen.
Some prefer slightly closer (1.0x sw to 1.1xsw), but 1.2x to 1.25x is a good average to what people prefer. It's definitely big enough for most, and those that like it slightly bigger well it's usually good enough even for those types, few would think they are sitting too close at 1.25x sw once they got used to it, though A FEW might.
post #4001 of 8424
Thanks for the advice! That was the size I was wanting to here, but wanted some reassurance before making the purchase.
post #4002 of 8424
nnd, the bigger screen is the way to go. I do not regret having a big screen and sitting so that the picture almost fills your field of vision. That way you are part of the action. Sports make you feel like you are there and movies have a 'life'.
post #4003 of 8424
Well said . . . why be shy of the BIG SCREEN experience at home?!

I find if I sit far back, I might as well be watching my 64" plasma. Sitting too close where pixel structure is evident is a bit extreme. But, when you have such a big, beautiful image that the W1070 produces, why not go for the immersive theater-like experience. To each his own, I guess . . .

Ian
post #4004 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

I am using a 67mm filter and it fits in the last section of the lense housing and does not change focus etc, i.e. it does not move when the lense is focused and the lense does not move when you remove or replace the filter in the housing.

It looks like the following diagram, but please note that you need to keep the filter in place by tape or some other method as it is not a push fit. Also remember that you need to fit a tab of tape or similar material to enable you to remove the filter safely and easily.

# 2
You guys have really interested me with those caps there. I have been told before it doesn't matter if you cover it or not, but I find it better to cover it when your finished with it. After measuring the circular lens outing, isn't it 72mm?
post #4005 of 8424
I hooked up the darbee, have it set of HD at 60% and man just when you think the picture couldnt get better smile.gif

I just finished watching Star Trek (newest of the movies) and wow what an excellent movie to watch on this projector and again the black levels for this price to me seem amazing and the balance of colors and contrast between the light and dark portions of the scene is also equally outstanding.
post #4006 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

You guys have really interested me with those caps there. I have been told before it doesn't matter if you cover it or not, but I find it better to cover it when your finished with it. After measuring the circular lens outing, isn't it 72mm?

It is NOT a cap or cover but a light filter. It is shown here as a white circle but it is in fact a metal ring with a glass element in the centre.

A '67mm filter' fits neatly flush with the outer surface of the lense housing.
post #4007 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Yes put Onkyo 515 into the search box near the top of the page and ask the question in an appropriate forum where people are more likely to know this product. You are more likely to get a knowledgeable answer.


Oz I know that but trying to find out WHAT RECEIVER is capable of working with the BenQ, so with this in mind where else could I ask this question but on the BenQ forum, think about it it makes sense.
post #4008 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

I hooked up the darbee, have it set of HD at 60% and man just when you think the picture couldnt get better smile.gif

I just finished watching Star Trek (newest of the movies) and wow what an excellent movie to watch on this projector and again the black levels for this price to me seem amazing and the balance of colors and contrast between the light and dark portions of the scene is also equally outstanding.

Daniel, what exactly will the Darbee do that will improve the IQ on this PJ? You caught my attention... smile.gif


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #4009 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Oz I know that but trying to find out WHAT RECEIVER is capable of working with the BenQ, so with this in mind where else could I ask this question but on the BenQ forum, think about it it makes sense.

I have the Denon AVR-591 and it works like a charm. Combine it with the KDLinks HD700 media player to even play 1080p 24Hz since it let you skip the 3D mode setting on the BenQ if you set it on the HD700. The BenQ will go in 3d mode automatically and play the 1080p 24hz movie.
post #4010 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by albero67 View Post

I have the Denon AVR-591 and it works like a charm. Combine it with the KDLinks HD700 media player to even play 1080p 24Hz since it let you skip the 3D mode setting on the BenQ if you set it on the HD700. The BenQ will go in 3d mode automatically and play the 1080p 24hz movie.


Thanks will look at teh Denon AVR-591 I am using a PS3 which if I was to connect it straight to the BenQ had no problem at all except listening to the PJ speakers, which is a blessing in the meantime
post #4011 of 8424
None of those Denons (even the new ones) have pre-outs. Some of them support 4k passthrough though, might be something to think about. I wouldn't spend $500 on something that wouldn't work with my next projector too, and the pre-out thing is really annoying. If I were you, I'd get a refurb Marantz that has pre-outs and 4k passthrough for a similar price to that Denon. Refurbs work great IMO.
post #4012 of 8424
Will you refresh my mind what do you mean about pre outs?????
post #4013 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Will you refresh my mind what do you mean about pre outs?????

Pre-outs are for external amplification (adding amps to power your speakers versus using the AVR's amp section).

You can't do much better than this for an inexpensive AVR...

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&PCatId=refurbishedprocat(denonna)&CatId=AVReceiversRef(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR1712(DenonNA)&IsRef=1

We should now get back on topic. wink.gif

Jason
post #4014 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Pre-outs are for external amplification (adding amps to power your speakers versus using the AVR's amp section).

You can't do much better than this for an inexpensive AVR...

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/ProductDetail.aspx?catalog=denonna_us&PCatId=refurbishedprocat(denonna)&CatId=AVReceiversRef(DenonNA)&Pid=AVR1712(DenonNA)&IsRef=1

We should now get back on topic. wink.gif

Jason


Thanks Jason, you are right back to topic, but anyone can PM me if they have a suggestion.
post #4015 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by albero67 View Post

I have the Denon AVR-591 and it works like a charm. Combine it with the KDLinks HD700 media player to even play 1080p 24Hz since it let you skip the 3D mode setting on the BenQ if you set it on the HD700. The BenQ will go in 3d mode automatically and play the 1080p 24hz movie.

I think that what happens whenever I play with my PS3. 2D BRs play in 2D, 3D automatically plays 3D without me changing the Benq's options every time.
post #4016 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

Daniel, what exactly will the Darbee do that will improve the IQ on this PJ? You caught my attention... smile.gif


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

okay a very generic response is that it sharpens the image but it does a lot more then just that you can watch a few videos and read up on it on their website

http://darbeevision.com/

however at retail price I dont feel for the price spent on this projector that it is worth it but if you can manage to get it for less then yeah totally worth it then. smile.gif
post #4017 of 8424
Whilst I agrre with everyone here regarding the brilliant 2D picture out of the box, the same can't be said in relation to the 3D for me. I have found the default 3D setting to be dull and lacking in color and pop, I have changed the setting to User 3 and there is a substantial improvement but just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if this is the setting that everyone is using.
post #4018 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post

Whilst I agrre with everyone here regarding the brilliant 2D picture out of the box, the same can't be said in relation to the 3D for me. I have found the default 3D setting to be dull and lacking in color and pop, I have changed the setting to User 3 and there is a substantial improvement but just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if this is the setting that everyone is using.

Have you watched 3D on any other projector model? If not, you might be noticing the colour shift caused by the active polarized glasses plus the light cut you experience when watching 3D. This is common to all active 3D presentations - but light loss is more evident with projectors - especially on screens that are perhaps too large. The other issue could be the quality of the glasses. Are they true BenQ or third party? The really cheap Chinese glasses aren't great with contrast or killing the red flash.

I also have the Epson 5010, and the BenQ is miles ahead with 3D with realistic color, brightness and is mostly cross-talk free with everything I throw at it..

Unless you have a problem with your projector or glasses, I doubt you'll find anything much better (without spending a ton more) in the 3D dept. than with the W1070.

Ian
post #4019 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post

Whilst I agrre with everyone here regarding the brilliant 2D picture out of the box, the same can't be said in relation to the 3D for me. I have found the default 3D setting to be dull and lacking in color and pop, I have changed the setting to User 3 and there is a substantial improvement but just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and if this is the setting that everyone is using.

put the glasses on and then calibrate the 3d setting to adjust for the tint and brightness and then you will have an amazing 3d picture.
post #4020 of 8424
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Have you watched 3D on any other projector model? If not, you might be noticing the colour shift caused by the active polarized glasses plus the light cut you experience when watching 3D. This is common to all active 3D presentations - but light loss is more evident with projectors - especially on screens that are perhaps too large. Ian

I have read that single DLP chips cannot out-perform 3 chips DLP projectors wrt light output in 3D mode.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$