or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 155

post #4621 of 8562
Hey guys. I bought from Amazon.

Which classes to go with? benq classes? Any other?
post #4622 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgmarques View Post

Hey guys. I bought from Amazon.

Which classes to go with? benq classes? Any other?

I would recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367851991&sr=8-1&keywords=dlp+link+3d+glasses
post #4623 of 8562
Best W1070 deal ever . . . or the best I've ever heard of!!!

In the mail today I just got my summer Costco summer catalog. With it came a small coupon booklet called "2013 Summer Savings". There is a coupon in the booklet that can be redeemed between June 24th to July 7 (2 weeks only). Here's the deal: The coupon is giving $200.00 off (from their $999.00 regular W1070 price), making the cost $799.00 (Canadian). The deal gets better: This price is for BOTH the projector and TWO free pairs of BenQ 3D glasses.

The deal isn't shown on line, it is only in the booklet. I don't think you have to redeem the actual coupon. You likely only need the skew number for the deal, which is 877113 and use the code between the sale dates. This offer is good only through Costco Canada (not in stores - on-line only). If you live in Canada and are a Costco member, this is a great deal. Or, if you are in the US you could likely order it if you are a member (but might need a Canadian address where it might need to be shipped).

Here is the link on the Costco Canada page for the W1070 - at its regular price.

http://www.costco.ca/BenQ-W1070-1080p-Full-HD*-DLP-Projector.product.100029581.html

Ian
post #4624 of 8562
Someone posted (poor pics from their cell phone) the Costco "2013 Summer Savings" booklet. You can scroll down to see the W1070 deal that I just posted about. Here's the link: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-summer-savings-2013-may-13-sept-1-a-1334496/

Heck, I might even buy a second projector when the deal rolls around, since the price is low enough to consider the cost of just bulb that it comes with and the 2 pairs of glasses to be about a $500.00 value - thus making having a back-up (2nd W1070) projector a worthwhile purchase.

Ian
post #4625 of 8562
Guys I need a tiny bit of guidance here as I want to understand fully what I may or may not get into here as I am a complete n00b in the 3D world. I have had a projector for 10+ years but not 3D.

If I purchase the 1070 it comes with no glasses based on my research. Seems there are lots of choices based on the specific thread over in the 3D forum. My question is -- is there any special setup I need to do for all of this?

Meaning the the 1070 would be on the ceiling do the glasses need to have line of sight to the projector, are they RF etc. Also do the glasses get much interference from other electronics. In my room I have a wireless router for internet (2.4 and 5.8), wireless buttkicker transmitter (2.4), cordless phone (5.8) etc etc.

Just want to understand all of this before I have to drop 1k on the projector and a few hundred on glasses.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
post #4626 of 8562

I got the w1070 last week, very happy with it. have a few questions -

 

1. when mounting it from the ceiling, is the projector supposed to be level fron to back, in addition to left to right?

2. I've seen pictures of a grid used to adjust the position of the projector, is that an option in w1070, or does that image come from a calibration disk?

3. I got SainSonic144Hz 3D IR Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses, also pretty happy with it. do they make a kids' size of it? if not, what's an alternative brand/model for kids?

 

thanks!

 

Jason

post #4627 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Someone posted (poor pics from their cell phone) the Costco "2013 Summer Savings" booklet. You can scroll down to see the W1070 deal that I just posted about. Here's the link: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco-summer-savings-2013-may-13-sept-1-a-1334496/

Heck, I might even buy a second projector when the deal rolls around, since the price is low enough to consider the cost of just bulb that it comes with and the 2 pairs of glasses to be about a $500.00 value - thus making having a back-up (2nd W1070) projector a worthwhile purchase.

Ian

I saw the cheerios had $2 off not bad!!!! Im in Australia can someone buy me Count Chocula and send it to me. I love that stuff. Its the breakfast of champions!!! Seriously i will pay you to do it for me. My partner doesn't believe that you can get cereal with marshmallows in it. MMM YUM!!! Its in my head now!
post #4628 of 8562

does anyone have the link to the 3D glasses for BENQ W1070? thanks!

post #4629 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

Guys I need a tiny bit of guidance here as I want to understand fully what I may or may not get into here as I am a complete n00b in the 3D world. I have had a projector for 10+ years but not 3D.

If I purchase the 1070 it comes with no glasses based on my research. Seems there are lots of choices based on the specific thread over in the 3D forum. My question is -- is there any special setup I need to do for all of this?

Meaning the the 1070 would be on the ceiling do the glasses need to have line of sight to the projector, are they RF etc. Also do the glasses get much interference from other electronics. In my room I have a wireless router for internet (2.4 and 5.8), wireless buttkicker transmitter (2.4), cordless phone (5.8) etc etc.

Just want to understand all of this before I have to drop 1k on the projector and a few hundred on glasses.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

You don't need any extra equipment, other than the glasses. The W1070 is a DLP Link projector. No IR or RF. The projector flashes either a red or white screen intermittently to synch the glasses. You just need the DLP Link glasses that are compatible with 144hz projectors. The glasses will auto synch by looking at the screen. Looking away for too long will cause loss of synch.

These work great and have been said to be just as good as the BenQ glasses (never tested the BenQ's myself).

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367851991&sr=8-1&keywords=dlp+link+3d+glasses
post #4630 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

I got the w1070 last week, very happy with it. have a few questions -

1. when mounting it from the ceiling, is the projector supposed to be level fron to back, in addition to left to right?
2. I've seen pictures of a grid used to adjust the position of the projector, is that an option in w1070, or does that image come from a calibration disk?
3. I got SainSonic144Hz 3D IR Active Rechargeable Shutter Glasses, also pretty happy with it. do they make a kids' size of it? if not, what's an alternative brand/model for kids?

thanks!

Jason


1- The lens should be as close to perfectly parallel to your screen or wall as possible. It should be aimed directly at it and level.
2- There is a grid test pattern on the W1070 and it is only a button press (Test) away.
3- I seen many people use the Sainsonics AS kids glasses because they are somewhat small, inexpensive, and not of the best quality. Not sure what would be a good pair of actual kids' glasses, but I'm sure others may know.
post #4631 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

does anyone have the link to the 3D glasses for BENQ W1070? thanks!

Here is a link for the official BenQ glasses:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-5J-J7K25-001-Link-Glasses-Black/dp/B00A3TEZBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367863695&sr=8-1&keywords=benq+dlp+3d+glasses

Though for less than the price of one pair of BenQ's, you can get 2 pairs of these, and most say they perform identically:

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367851991&sr=8-1&keywords=dlp+link+3d+glasses
post #4632 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

does anyone have the link to the 3D glasses for BENQ W1070? thanks!

 

sorry, I meant a link to the thread on AVS forum about 3D glasses for w1070, I've seen it before but can't find it any more.

post #4633 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post


1- The lens should be as close to perfectly parallel to your screen or wall as possible. It should be aimed directly at it and level.
2- There is a grid test pattern on the W1070 and it is only a button press (Test) away.
3- I seen many people use the Sainsonics AS kids glasses because they are somewhat small, inexpensive, and not of the best quality. Not sure what would be a good pair of actual kids' glasses, but I'm sure others may know.

 

Thanks!

post #4634 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

sorry, I meant a link to the thread on AVS forum about 3D glasses for w1070, I've seen it before but can't find it any more.

Here it is. It is under the forum for 3D Displays:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses
post #4635 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

You don't need any extra equipment, other than the glasses. The W1070 is a DLP Link projector. No IR or RF. The projector flashes either a red or white screen intermittently to synch the glasses. You just need the DLP Link glasses that are compatible with 144hz projectors. The glasses will auto synch by looking at the screen. Looking away for too long will cause loss of synch.

These work great and have been said to be just as good as the BenQ glasses (never tested the BenQ's myself).

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367851991&sr=8-1&keywords=dlp+link+3d+glasses

Thanks Mike.

Appreciate the info. I was just feeling a little lost as I am out of touch with the whole 3D thing.

Now I just need to decide if its worth it to go from my current BenQ W6000 to the 1070. Just don't want to lose too many lumens or sacrifice 2D pic quality.

Greg
post #4636 of 8562
I received email from amazon the replacement I am gonna have it end of the month. Probably they are out of stock. They are willing to pay me refund but I am not sure what to do. Can somebody help me in this forum to look at the lens of the projector to see if has any smear or is completely clean? Because I am not sure if this is something normal or I need a replacement.
post #4637 of 8562
Hi, Vagos110grl . . .

You are seeing an out-of-focus image that is simply "ghosting" on the glass - as its image passes from the rear lens element and passes though the front of the lens. This is normal.

If your projected picture is clear - you have no worries. I would be careful to replace a good unit with something new. Your replacement might not be as good especially you end up with lens aberrations or a unit with other issues. Current made-in-China projectors have their share of issues - mainly due to quality control limitations from unit-to-unit. It seems, to me at least, that this issue you see is normal. I used to have 16mm projectors where this was common to notice with the lens too.

Take a small LED flashlight (when the unit is off) and look into the lens to inspect the interior of the lens assembly and its glass. I suspect that you will see nothing that is too concerning.

Ian
post #4638 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Hi, Vagos110grl . . .

You are seeing an out-of-focus image that is simply "ghosting" on the glass - as its image passes from the rear lens element and passes though the front of the lens. This is normal.

If your projected picture is clear - you have no worries. I would be careful to replace a good unit with something new. Your replacement might not be as good especially you end up with lens aberrations or a unit with other issues. Current made-in-China projectors have their share of issues - mainly due to quality control limitations from unit-to-unit. It seems, to me at least, that this issue you see is normal. I used to have 16mm projectors where this was common to notice with the lens too.

Take a small LED flashlight (when the unit is off) and look into the lens to inspect the interior of the lens assembly and its glass. I suspect that you will see nothing that is too concerning.

Ian


Thank you Ian for your reply. My replacement is coming in 2 days so I am gonna have time to compare them. I guess you are right. I just wanted some new opinions.
post #4639 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

sorry, I meant a link to the thread on AVS forum about 3D glasses for w1070, I've seen it before but can't find it any more.

Here is the link, but you do realise that had you put W1070 and glasses in the search box you would have found it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses/420#post_23285863
post #4640 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Best W1070 deal ever . . . or the best I've ever heard of!!!

In the mail today I just got my summer Costco summer catalog. With it came a small coupon booklet called "2013 Summer Savings". There is a coupon in the booklet that can be redeemed between June 24th to July 7 (2 weeks only). Here's the deal: The coupon is giving $200.00 off (from their $999.00 regular W1070 price), making the cost $799.00 (Canadian). The deal gets better: This price is for BOTH the projector and TWO free pairs of BenQ 3D glasses.

The deal isn't shown on line, it is only in the booklet. I don't think you have to redeem the actual coupon. You likely only need the skew number for the deal, which is 877113 and use the code between the sale dates. This offer is good only through Costco Canada (not in stores - on-line only). If you live in Canada and are a Costco member, this is a great deal. Or, if you are in the US you could likely order it if you are a member (but might need a Canadian address where it might need to be shipped).

Here is the link on the Costco Canada page for the W1070 - at its regular price.

http://www.costco.ca/BenQ-W1070-1080p-Full-HD*-DLP-Projector.product.100029581.html

Ian


Thanks for the tip, my w1070 that I got from costco.ca started to get loud in 3d so I'm going to return it in June then get this deal. Ill keep the two glasses I got already then ill have four sets. I hope the new one comes with the newest firmware.
post #4641 of 8562
I am considering moving from the Epson 8350 to the 1070. I have a few issues which may prevent that from happening. One, off the top of my head I believe my projector resides approximately 10" offset of the center of my screen from side to side. With no horizontal adjustment I would assume any adjustment would have to be made by moving my screen or the projector correct? Two, what are folks ACTUALLY getting out of the bulb in life? I was duped by the extremely optimistic lamp life rating of my 8350 which was a big reason while I got it only to find out it can't maintain a bulb as long as my previous Panasonic AX200 it replaced. The projector will sit approximately 11.33' from my 106" Da-Lite 2.8 gain HP Screen. Vertically it would sit around 6" higher than the center of my screen also.
post #4642 of 8562
I used to have the 8350 and I switched to the W1070.
I went from 10 feet to 9.4 feet distance and ALL looks good.
Also it is 6 inches from ceiling to unit.
BenQ has a great tech support when it comes to replace if need to according to a lot of folks here.
Picture quality is great and so is the 3D.
Many users here are very picking on the unit itself but everyone has their own opinion.
Presently I am a very happy customer.
post #4643 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by themagic View Post

I used to have the 8350 and I switched to the W1070.
I went from 10 feet to 9.4 feet distance and ALL looks good.
Also it is 6 inches from ceiling to unit.
BenQ has a great tech support when it comes to replace if need to according to a lot of folks here.
Picture quality is great and so is the 3D.
Many users here are very picking on the unit itself but everyone has their own opinion.
Presently I am a very happy customer.

What was your impression of the 2d picture of the 1070 vs the 8350 you used to have?
post #4644 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

My replacement W1070 came in today. The first projector was excellent except for a noticable lack of focus in the bottom right hand corner (ceiling mounted). It would come into focus but then the rest of the screen was out. Though it wasn't noticable during movies it was rather extreme when viewing text. The projector alignment with the screen was spot on.

I am happy to say that the replacement is crystal clear in all four corners as well as the middle. (Moving the position of the menu is a good test.)
This one is version 1.05 while the first was version 1.04 though that has nothing to do with the focus issue.

Interestingly, the new one required a slight alignment change. The image was almost one inch down on one side across my 112" width. Not sure if this is an indicator that something was out of whack on the first unit or simply a result of sample to sample variation.

Anyway. Glad I made the swap. Totally happy with the W1070 now.

Glad to hear about the new one being perfect. Like I said before, my PJ also has perfect focus across the screen, so no one should just accept that it is normal to have an area out of focus, because they are not all like that.

The firmware may not make a difference, but there is a build revision on the newest models as well so something physical has also changed. Another reason why I wanted to get a replacement for my old one that acted up and then stopped acting up. Didn't want to take any chances.

Do you notice anything else? My new PJ is brighter and has much less noticeable video noise, even on Time Warner cable, than the first one.
post #4645 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

I am considering moving from the Epson 8350 to the 1070. I have a few issues which may prevent that from happening. One, off the top of my head I believe my projector resides approximately 10" offset of the center of my screen from side to side. With no horizontal adjustment I would assume any adjustment would have to be made by moving my screen or the projector correct? Two, what are folks ACTUALLY getting out of the bulb in life? I was duped by the extremely optimistic lamp life rating of my 8350 which was a big reason while I got it only to find out it can't maintain a bulb as long as my previous Panasonic AX200 it replaced. The projector will sit approximately 11.33' from my 106" Da-Lite 2.8 gain HP Screen. Vertically it would sit around 6" higher than the center of my screen also.

You would definitely need to remount your projector or move your screen, as there is no horizontal shift. Either that or have an image that isn't a rectangle.

There is no way that your W1070 would be able to be ceiling mounted and only 6" from the center of a 106" diagonal screen. The center of the lens would be about even with the top of your screen.
post #4646 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

You would definitely need to remount your projector or move your screen, as there is no horizontal shift. Either that or have an image that isn't a rectangle.

There is no way that your W1070 would be able to be ceiling mounted and only 6" from the center of a 106" diagonal screen. The center of the lens would be about even with the top of your screen.

Ok, I got ya on the horizontal issue. I extended my ceiling mount with a long galvanized pipe nipple and my projector is in fact mounted 6" from the center of my 106" screen. I think I posted up somewhere about it but it has been a while.
post #4647 of 8562
Hello everyboy,

First of all, I´m not a native english speaker, so I´m sorry if I do many grammatical mistakes.

I bought my first proyector 15 days ago. And I didn´t know nothing about the "rainbow effect". But after two weeks with my Benq W1070, I truly know what it is. It is very annoying for me. It causes me headaches and transforms the experience of watching a movie into a nightmare. You have to think that I watch the movies in original version with subtitles (which increses the effect).

I would ask to you if there is a service menu where I can change any parameter (as speed up the wheel) in order to decrease the rainbow effect.
The technical service didn´t give me any solution.

Thanks
post #4648 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle82 View Post

I bought my first proyector 15 days ago. And I didn´t know nothing about the "rainbow effect". But after two weeks with my Benq W1070, I truly know what it is. It is very annoying for me. It causes me headaches and transforms the experience of watching a movie into a nightmare. You have to think that I watch the movies in original version with subtitles (which increses the effect).

I would ask to you if there is a service menu where I can change any parameter (as speed up the wheel) in order to decrease the rainbow effect.
The technical service didn´t give me any solution.

The wheel speed is dependent on the input refresh rate.

Set your video device (eg Blu-ray player) to output at 50hz, and the color wheel will speed up. The default output for most video sources is 24hz: 50hz is much better if Rainbows are an issue.

I've hardly noticed rainbows since changing to 50hz, even with subtitles on a black background.

Try it and let us know how you go!
post #4649 of 8562
Well I just ordered a 1070 this AM from Amazon. Price had dropped another $20 since yesterday so I bit. Should be here Fri/Sat.

Hoping all goes well in the change from the Benq W6000 we have now to the 1070. We already have a Pioneer 62 player so 3D source component is the rack and ready to go. Fairly certain all my cables are 3D compliant (hope so) otherwise I'll need to get a new one for the projector.

Hoping my current mounting spot will be sufficient as I hate to move the mount again and create another hole in the ceiling but we'll have to wait and see.

Greg
post #4650 of 8562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Looks nice! How about some dark shots - - variation. Is that a Bluray shot? Can you show a cable/satellite pic?

Check out my signature links, there are more pics in there. PM me if you want something else and I'll see about getting some more pics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$