or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 20

post #571 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post

Thats why I am confused... The optoma HD33 ran 3d no prob at 1080p with all 3d modes available. For some reason, when creating a custom res at 1080i 50/60hz says its not supported by my display. Therefore, I can not watch any 3D content on the w1070.

Did you manage at the end to play SBS on your PC with a 1080i 60Hz or 50Hz?. I am seriously checking out this projector but my main source of 3d will my PC at 1080i 60 Hz res or even 1080p at 60Hz. When you say it is not supported by your display do you mean the projector or a monitor? If the projector does not support it then it's a dealbreaker for me as even with my previous projector I always used 1080p at 60Hz and had no problem with 3D. Please let me know when you find out.

Edit: I realise that if your glasses are 120Hz they will not synchronise at this resolution with the DLP system because it works at 144Hz but for the resolution not to be supported by the projector is a major fail. Can any owner confirm if they manage to watch a 1080p 3D SBS mkv on the movies' native resolution on their PC?
Edited by elgriego - 12/12/12 at 2:10pm
post #572 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgriego View Post

Can any owner confirm if they manage to watch a 1080p 3D SBS mkv on the movies' native resolution on their PC?

I can confirm, using the Nvidia stereoscopic video player and framepacked 1920x1080 24hz.
post #573 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

I can confirm, using the Nvidia stereoscopic video player and framepacked 1920x1080 24hz.

Much appreciated!
post #574 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post

For whatever reason, I cant get 3D to work on the w1070.
What cable type are you using to connect to the w1070? VGA or HDMI, and is it HDMI 1.4 compliant? I recall reading that different inputs support different features. HDMI seemed to be the most generous.
post #575 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

How does this even work though? The W1070 doesn't support SBS in 1080 @ 24.

PowerDVD 12 may be converting it to/outputting another format for all I know. All I know is they are Sbs and that the resolution gets switched to 1080p 24Hz when viewing them.
post #576 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifer129 View Post

If it was coming from Canada it probably was the brokerage fee that UPS charges, which is typically ~$36 (unless you upgrade your shipping with them to a higher option then it's free). Welcome to the pain us Canadians have to deal with getting stuff from the US and why I *NEVER* use UPS to ship things across the boarder, UPS is the worst company in the world. mad.gif

Great first post. I couldn't agree more.
post #577 of 8507
UPS was asking for $40 something dollars. I called NCIX and they looked it up and said that UPS made a mistake as this was a brokerage fee that they should have gotten charged for, not me. They said that they would get it resolved and i should have it re-delivered tomorrow.
post #578 of 8507
Ok guys, so as i wait for the next day or two to get this projector i'm wondering a couple of things off the bat, maybe you can help me. I don't use a HTPC but do use a media player that i have all my movies backed up to (the mede8er 1000x3D). Do you anticipate that I will have problems playing 3d with this? Also this is my first projector, but i have had a 3D tv for a couple of years now and have the monstervision glasses along with 4 pairs of my Samsung glasses - i'm guessing my the posts above that these aren't lkely to work with this unit.?
post #579 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusemarks View Post

What cable type are you using to connect to the w1070? VGA or HDMI, and is it HDMI 1.4 compliant? I recall reading that different inputs support different features. HDMI seemed to be the most generous.

You may want to check out the new redmere technology cables that monoprice.com carries. It seems to be a good alternative in theory instead of using much thicker cables.
post #580 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

I can confirm, using the Nvidia stereoscopic video player and framepacked 1920x1080 24hz.

I am using redmere HDMI from monoprice. I had no idea that a player can repack a side by side format and display it as frame packed... I always thought your 3d mode on your projector had to match the source 3d format. When you say 1920 x 1080 24hz on nvidia stereoscopic, is it 1080i?
post #581 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

PowerDVD 12 may be converting it to/outputting another format for all I know. All I know is they are Sbs and that the resolution gets switched to 1080p 24Hz when viewing them.

If powerDVD was switching it to 1080p then the side by side 3d format function would be greyed out? I can only get the side by side function enabled when its in 1080i 50hz. When any player I use switches to 1080p I can not enable sbs 3d.
post #582 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post

I am using redmere HDMI from monoprice. I had no idea that a player can repack a side by side format and display it as frame packed... I always thought your 3d mode on your projector had to match the source 3d format. When you say 1920 x 1080 24hz on nvidia stereoscopic, is it 1080i?

Actually I would also like to know that. My question was about SBS but framepacked means 2 full HD images displayed to each eye seperately. How can a SBS offer 2 1080p to each eye? Would he mean via PC and internal bluray plus 1.4 HDMI compatible graphics card? Thanks.
post #583 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post

If powerDVD was switching it to 1080p then the side by side 3d format function would be greyed out? I can only get the side by side function enabled when its in 1080i 50hz. When any player I use switches to 1080p I can not enable sbs 3d.

Generally it seems that this projector is difficult to support full hd resolutions via a PC and play 3D(SBS). That is seriously putting me off. It is also stated in the manual. Only interlaced at 1080p 50/60hz can play SBS and progressive only at 24hz but not able to play SBS only framepacking. I can't understand why while other projectors do that easily?

The problem is that our PC are usually connected to other devices like TVs and monitors that work at 1080p natively so we'll have to change the resoltuon everytime we fire up the projector to watch SBS 3D via PC. If any owner can add his input(as far as watching SBS via PC) it will be much appreciated.
Edited by elgriego - 12/13/12 at 7:20am
post #584 of 8507
Hi Awest74,

Have you tested the sainsonic 144 hz glasses on the W1070? Hope it works...I'm about to order it on ebay. Thank you.
post #585 of 8507
For what it's worth, it looks like I can configure my receiver (AVR2600) to work around some of the resolution issues.
After a firmware upgrade on the receiver I can setup HDMI passthrough that supports 3d for blue-ray 3d player (1080p).
Then I can setup another source on the receiver for same physical cable but configure it to output 1080i for HSBS viewing.

The only hitch is that the 2d->3d converter on the sony player doesn't detect the receiver as a 3d device unless using HDMI passthrough
so I still need to turn the player down to 720p if I want to use this feature on mkv files.

Sounds like with a PC you can convert a full resolution SBS and output it frame packed at 24p?
Looks like something like that is not doable with my type of setup.
Monoprice does have a converter box to change SBS to frame packed that seems to be getting good reviews:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011408&p_id=8048&seq=1&format=2#description

Not sure I have enough content in that format to make it worthwhile.
post #586 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgriego View Post

Generally it seems that this projector is difficult to support full hd resolutions via a PC and play 3D(SBS). That is seriously putting me off. It is also stated in the manual. Only interlaced at 1080p 50/60hz can play SBS and progressive only at 24hz but not able to play SBS only framepacking. I can't understand why while other projectors do that easily?
The problem is that our PC are usually connected to other devices like TVs and monitors that work at 1080p natively so we'll have to change the resoltuon everytime we fire up the projector to watch SBS 3D via PC. If any owner can add his input(as far as watching SBS via PC) it will be much appreciated.


Why do you say that the projector is the one that's picky? HDMI 1.4a is the standard and this is what the projector support. HDMI 1.4a requires that 3D displays support the following MANDATORY formats: the Frame Packing 3D format at either 720p60/50 or 1080p24/25, Side-by-Side Horizontal at 1080i60/50, and Top-and-Bottom Vertical at 720p60/50 or 1080p24/25. (from http://www.keydigital.com/KnowledgeCenter_3DFeaturesHDMI1.4_wp.html )
post #587 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

Why do you say that the projector is the one that's picky? HDMI 1.4a is the standard and this is what the projector support. HDMI 1.4a requires that 3D displays support the following MANDATORY formats: the Frame Packing 3D format at either 720p60/50 or 1080p24/25, Side-by-Side Horizontal at 1080i60/50, and Top-and-Bottom Vertical at 720p60/50 or 1080p24/25. (from http://www.keydigital.com/KnowledgeCenter_3DFeaturesHDMI1.4_wp.html )

First of all when you talk about SBS via PC, HDMI 1.4 is not necessary nor required. That is only for frame packed/sequential 3D. Second when you out a resolution od 1920*1080p on your graphics card the projector will show that no problem. However(I dont say that but current users) the SBS 3D option of the projector is greyed out(deactivated). Other projectors do not do that. Take for instance the Acer H9500BD. The resolutions that it will play SBS taken from the Acer's manual are:

Modes Resolution V.Frequency[Hz] H.Frequency[KHz]

720p (Side by Side (Half)) 1280x720 60 45.0
1080i (Side by Side (Half)) 1920x1080 50(25) 28.1
1080i (Side by Side (Half)) 1920x1080 60(30) 33.8
1080p (Side by Side (Half)) 1920x1080 50 56.3
1080p (Side by Side (Half)) 1920x1080 60 67.5

Clearly states 1080p at 50Hz and 60Hz.

Lets take (again) the resolutions that the Benq W1070 will play SBS(I ignore resolution other than 720p and 1080i/p if you want to see them all please read the manual at Specifications)

Format Resolution Refresh rate (Hz) H. Freq. (KHz) Pixel Freq. (MHz) Aspect
1080/50i*** 1920 x 1080 50 28.13 74.25 16:9
1080/60i*** 1920 x 1080 60 33.75 74.25 16:9
***Supported timing for 3D signal with Side-by-Side format.

Yes there are other resolution including 1080p where the projector can play frame sequential 3D but SBS only 1080 interlaced. So yes the projector is picky and it has nothing to do with the standard of HDMI 1.4. Probably there is a way around this and this is what I am trying to find out before I commit. Hence my questions to the current owners. smile.gif
post #588 of 8507
Can someone test 1280x720p@120hz for 3d and see if this works???
post #589 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailslide View Post

...
Sounds like with a PC you can convert a full resolution SBS and output it frame packed at 24p?
....
That is what i am trying to find out and why do we need to go through this procces and it doesn't support 1080p natively for SBS? Others do!
post #590 of 8507
Sorry, Didnt get out of work until late and the wife and kids kept me busy. Didnt even get the projector out of the box...

Will defiately test tonight.
post #591 of 8507
There are a lot of confused people over 3D and their computers...

This projector supports all of the modes it states that it does. You may not know how to use them or your hardware may not support all of them.

I gather what some want to do is play a HALF-SBS 1080p movie full screen on their computer (Or play a full SBS movie squished to H-SBS 1080p output), and then tell the projector that it is a SBS source. This is out of spec for HDMI 1.4a and it will not let you do that. Even if it did or other projectors will let you, you will lose half of the resolution by watching 3D this way. No projector that I'm aware of supports 3840x1080 input..You must use a video player that will use frame packing as an output. That means, as far as I know, you must use the Nvidia video player, Totalmedia Theatre, Powerdvd, or Windvd - and your video card must support HDMI 1.4a.
Edited by Nayr2 - 12/13/12 at 10:42am
post #592 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 
Can someone test 1280x720p@120hz for 3d and see if this works???

This works. Of course it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailslide  
Sounds like with a PC you can convert a full resolution SBS and output it frame packed at 24p?

Yes. Current Blu-ray players should do this as well. Older Blu-ray players, HDTV boxes, and even old PC video cards that do not support HDMI 1.4a may not be able to do this, in which case they will need to use HALF resolution 1080i SBS.
post #593 of 8507
I've watched a couple 3D movies and I'll revise my previous comments about 3D. 3D looks GREAT. I was able to get smooth 24fps playback of full resolution 1080p 3D video with no pull-down or synchronization artifacts that I could notice. My first impressions were from a flawed source that had those issues.
post #594 of 8507
Many write that video projector the flat picture in 3D.
That the picture in 3D is worse than Optoma HD33 and Benq W7000.

I ask you to carry out the test.
post #595 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

I've watched a couple 3D movies and I'll revise my previous comments about 3D. 3D looks GREAT. I was able to get smooth 24fps playback of full resolution 1080p 3D video with no pull-down or synchronization artifacts that I could notice. My first impressions were from a flawed source that had those issues.

Hi, it is still unknown if W1070 is actually doing 144hz when playing 24fps 3D. It is either 96hz or 144hz. 96hz should show some visible flickering. Did you notice any flicker and how "easy" it was for your eyes?
post #596 of 8507
There is very little flicker, I would say it is running at 144hz but I haven't seen 96hz in person to give a good comparison. Less flicker than the Nvidia glasses I used previously.
post #597 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMiR View Post

Hi, it is still unknown if W1070 is actually doing 144hz when playing 24fps 3D. It is either 96hz or 144hz. 96hz should show some visible flickering. Did you notice any flicker and how "easy" it was for your eyes?

144hz. 120hz glasses don't work with it.
post #598 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

I've watched a couple 3D movies and I'll revise my previous comments about 3D. 3D looks GREAT. I was able to get smooth 24fps playback of full resolution 1080p 3D video with no pull-down or synchronization artifacts that I could notice. My first impressions were from a flawed source that had those issues.

When the w1070 goes into 3D mode, do you notice a major change in the brightness... ie a bright red hue across the whole screen?
post #599 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

I've watched a couple 3D movies and I'll revise my previous comments about 3D. 3D looks GREAT. I was able to get smooth 24fps playback of full resolution 1080p 3D video with no pull-down or synchronization artifacts that I could notice. My first impressions were from a flawed source that had those issues.

Yes I watched a few minutes of avatar 3d on blu-ray and it was quite impressive. I tend to post about the little problems I am having but overall I am very happy with this projector so far.
post #600 of 8507
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post

When the w1070 goes into 3D mode, do you notice a major change in the brightness... ie a bright red hue across the whole screen?

There is a red hue from the red synchronization flash.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$