or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 229

post #6841 of 8477
Does anyone have the inside scoop on where to buy this projector for Black Friday or Cyber Monday, If so let's keep the thread updated with this info. I'm sure I'm not the only person wanting to buying this projector during these sales.
post #6842 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

20131118_230245.jpg

2866 hours on firmware 1.02 and still going strong!

Congrats; clearly a TV replacement for you!! Very nice!

And that's clearly on an early hardware revision too.

Actually there've been few proper breakdowns of this pj... The fan rattle irritates some but hasn't resulted in many full-out failures. (Mine's been rattling subtly for nearly 800 hours - since I got it! wink.gif

What lamp setting are you using?
post #6843 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I would suggest black felt fabric which is sold everywhere. You can get fabric glue to put it on the drywall. It is flatter than burlap and will work. If you want a go with the darkest possible fabric get velvet. Both fabrics can also be used for masking.

Appreciate the recommendations for burlap, felt, or velvet, all of those seem like viable options, with velvet maybe the most light-absorbing and felt a close second, burlap maybe a bit less so. I'm also considering just tacking up some black plastic which would be the cheapest option, though the shininess seems undesirable unless I can get a matte texture which I'm not sure is out there. I suppose if big rolls of black paper were available that might be the very cheapest option and easy to tack up behind the screen just with thumb tacks. (Not going to glue anything to the wall, the reason I'm not just painting it is that I'm in a rental unit.) The viewing area of my screen is 58 x 104 inches, and the full screen including frame is 64 x 110 inches, various fabrics seem to be available in 60" widths, so that seems to fit my purpose well.

Anyone have recommendations for particular fabrics that are really black/light absorbing? And particular stores that have good prices on fabrics and cheap or free shipping?

Much appreciated!
post #6844 of 8477
Hi niccolo, for my acoustically transparent screen (cheaper than some elite screens that many purchase, but with the translucent problem you have), I just went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought some of their high quality black felt and some velcro. It was about $15 and I noticed an immediate improvement after I fixed it behind the screen. No big hassle and the whole thing took me maybe 15 minutes to get set up behind the screen. I think JoAnn also sells online, but I'd also just go to wherever is most convenient: a lot of that fabric is pretty cheap most places. Best of luck!
post #6845 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post

Hi niccolo, for my acoustically transparent screen (cheaper than some elite screens that many purchase, but with the translucent problem you have), I just went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought some of their high quality black felt and some velcro. It was about $15 and I noticed an immediate improvement after I fixed it behind the screen. No big hassle and the whole thing took me maybe 15 minutes to get set up behind the screen. I think JoAnn also sells online, but I'd also just go to wherever is most convenient: a lot of that fabric is pretty cheap most places. Best of luck!

The way to go and you will not damage the walls. I don't suggest black plastic since it can often reflect light.
post #6846 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Congrats; clearly a TV replacement for you!! Very nice!

And that's clearly on an early hardware revision too.

Actually there've been few proper breakdowns of this pj... The fan rattle irritates some but hasn't resulted in many full-out failures. (Mine's been rattling subtly for nearly 800 hours - since I got it! wink.gif

What lamp setting are you using?

Smart eco. Not really a tv replacement. Just use it as a monitor and for some gaming.
post #6847 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post

Hi niccolo, for my acoustically transparent screen (cheaper than some elite screens that many purchase, but with the translucent problem you have), I just went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought some of their high quality black felt and some velcro. It was about $15 and I noticed an immediate improvement after I fixed it behind the screen. No big hassle and the whole thing took me maybe 15 minutes to get set up behind the screen. I think JoAnn also sells online, but I'd also just go to wherever is most convenient: a lot of that fabric is pretty cheap most places. Best of luck!

Is this the felt fabric you recommended? http://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-craft-felt-fabric/prd10007.html#q=felt&start=1

For now, I was mulling just going with a black tablecloth that I can either tack to the walls or velcro to the back of the screen. While velcroing to the screen would be preferable, I'm not sure there's enough room back there to attach velcro strips to the screen frame while not interfering with the mounting rail, but putting a few tacks into the wall isn't a big deal. As for the fabric, I'm guessing the felt would be slightly more light-absorbent than the black tablecloth, but I imagine the tablecloth would be pretty close.
post #6848 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

Is this the felt fabric you recommended? http://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-craft-felt-fabric/prd10007.html#q=felt&start=1

For now, I was mulling just going with a black tablecloth that I can either tack to the walls or velcro to the back of the screen. While velcroing to the screen would be preferable, I'm not sure there's enough room back there to attach velcro strips to the screen frame while not interfering with the mounting rail, but putting a few tacks into the wall isn't a big deal. As for the fabric, I'm guessing the felt would be slightly more light-absorbent than the black tablecloth, but I imagine the tablecloth would be pretty close.

The one that I bought was this one: http://www.joann.com/premium-felt-/zprd_02109106a.html#prefn1=isProject&q=felt&prefv1=false&start=7 I think. Basically, when I went into the store they had a sale and I decided to go with the "better" of the two, though I'm sure either is fine. And I velcroed to the side of the frame and that seemed to work (my hangers are on the top and bottom). Either way, I think you'll see a drastic improvement with adding a good backing on there, so the tablecloth might work too. My best advice is to go with whatever works for you in terms of budget and your space (because I don't know either one as well as you do), but that definitely putting a backing on the screen will greatly improve picture quality.
post #6849 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post

The one that I bought was this one: http://www.joann.com/premium-felt-/zprd_02109106a.html#prefn1=isProject&q=felt&prefv1=false&start=7 I think. Basically, when I went into the store they had a sale and I decided to go with the "better" of the two, though I'm sure either is fine. And I velcroed to the side of the frame and that seemed to work (my hangers are on the top and bottom). Either way, I think you'll see a drastic improvement with adding a good backing on there, so the tablecloth might work too. My best advice is to go with whatever works for you in terms of budget and your space (because I don't know either one as well as you do), but that definitely putting a backing on the screen will greatly improve picture quality.

And standard velcro tape was sticky enough to stick to the felt? E.g. something like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Fastening-Tape-0-75inch-Wrap/dp/B004AF9II6/ref=pd_sbs_op_2
http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-U-S-A-Velcro-12-Feet-VEK90340/dp/B000078CUB/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1385498496&sr=8-5&keywords=velcro+tape
post #6850 of 8477

I used something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Brand-Sticky-Back-Pkg-Black/dp/B000TGSPV6/ref=pd_sim_op_5 and they haven't come off yet. I didn't even let them "set" like you're supposed to.
post #6851 of 8477
Went with the premium felt over the tablecloth option, the former should be a bit more light-absorbent and it was reasonably priced (Joann's has a 40 percent sale going). And ordered some velcro tape (my error, the links I posted were for non-sticky velcro strips, got the right stuff now) to attach it to the back of the screen frame, good call to attach on the sides, that way it doesn't interfere with the mounting hardware top and bottom. And presumably felt can be cut to size without fraying, so that's another plus.

Thanks for all the help, this forum is a pretty fantastic source of info.
Edited by niccolo - 11/26/13 at 4:28pm
post #6852 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

Went with the premium felt over the tablecloth option, the former should be a bit more light-absorbent and it was reasonably priced (Joann's has a 40 percent sale going). And ordered some velcro tape (my error, the links I posted were for non-sticky velcro strips, got the right stuff now) to attach it to the back of the screen frame, good call to attach on the sides, that way it doesn't interfere with the mounting hardware top and bottom. And presumably velcro can be cut to size without fraying, so that's another plus.

Thanks for all the help, this forum is a pretty fantastic source of info.


You're welcome for the help and best of luck on your W1070 and screen. I love mine and I can only assume you'll love yours even more with the screen and backing. Yay for projectors!!!
post #6853 of 8477
Do you guys think the mitsubishi 7900 is better than the benq? Its only 999 at Tiger direct right now. ..
post #6854 of 8477
Thinking about picking this up. It's a toss up between this unit and the W1080ST I do have a few questions for those already using this unit.

I can place this unit at about 13'6" to get the desired screen size however it's with the zoom all the way out to 1.30 I believe. To get the same screen size I can place the W1080ST at approx 6' with no zoom. My question is..

1. Will using the optical zoom on the W1070 degrade picture quality
2. Is the W1080ST identical to the W1070. On paper it seems like it almost is.

Also, is anybody using a straight MDF board as their screen? What other cheap alternatives are there in terms of screens? The screen I'm looking at is from Eastporters and depending on the size will run me anywhere from $12-1500

Thanks in advance for the input and suggestions smile.gif
post #6855 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman View Post

Thinking about picking this up. It's a toss up between this unit and the W1080ST I do have a few questions for those already using this unit.

I can place this unit at about 13'6" to get the desired screen size however it's with the zoom all the way out to 1.30 I believe. To get the same screen size I can place the W1080ST at approx 6' with no zoom. My question is..

1. Will using the optical zoom on the W1070 degrade picture quality
2. Is the W1080ST identical to the W1070. On paper it seems like it almost is.

Also, is anybody using a straight MDF board as their screen? What other cheap alternatives are there in terms of screens? The screen I'm looking at is from Eastporters and depending on the size will run me anywhere from $12-1500

Thanks in advance for the input and suggestions smile.gif

There is another issue. Mitsubishi is leaving the projector business so all projectors are being closed out. I also believe that the Mitsubishi is not as bright as the Benq and uses the D2 rather than the D3 chip. (Could be wrong on this). I have not read any reports of degraded picture quality with the optical zoom on the 1070. The 1080 has even a sorter throw and this could be a problem or benefit depending on the situation.
post #6856 of 8477
If anyone is looking for the w770 Newegg has it for $530 with free shipping after the coupon code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014346
Edited by rwestley - 11/27/13 at 1:45pm
post #6857 of 8477

Is there any chance that the next firmware (if there is one) will enable SBS 3D at 1080p 60?

post #6858 of 8477
Doesn't the last two firmwares already enable SBS at 1080p 60hz?
post #6859 of 8477

1.07 only allows SBS at 24hz

post #6860 of 8477
I'm finding it impossible to get consistent focus across the image space. If the middle and upper portion of the image are in focus, the bottom will be a bit out of focus. If I focus the bottom, the middle and top are a bit out of focus. I've played around with the projector position, I have a geared mount that allows fine tuned adjustments, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm at close to max zoom, i.e. farthest from the screen to project a 120" image. I know others have found that closer mounting helps with consistent focus, but I don't want the projector in my peripheral vision in the middle of the ceiling. Also, my impression is others have had issues with one corner, whereas my issue is with both bottom corners and the whole bottom part of the image. Do I have unrealistic expectations for a 1K projector? Does what I've described suggest some positioning or other fix?
post #6861 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

I'm finding it impossible to get consistent focus across the image space. If the middle and upper portion of the image are in focus, the bottom will be a bit out of focus. If I focus the bottom, the middle and top are a bit out of focus. I've played around with the projector position, I have a geared mount that allows fine tuned adjustments, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm at close to max zoom, i.e. farthest from the screen to project a 120" image. I know others have found that closer mounting helps with consistent focus, but I don't want the projector in my peripheral vision in the middle of the ceiling. Also, my impression is others have had issues with one corner, whereas my issue is with both bottom corners and the whole bottom part of the image. Do I have unrealistic expectations for a 1K projector? Does what I've described suggest some positioning or other fix?
Mine has 2 bad courners but diagonal, turns out I was expecting too much from a budget projector but to reduce it on mine I found mounting it in a position where I didn't need to use keystone at all greatly reduced the problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
post #6862 of 8477
DEFINITELY not using keystone--if you are, probably best not to fess up on this forum! I've played around with lens shift, though, it doesn't seem to make a detectable difference.
post #6863 of 8477
I can't really focus the right side of the screen, (the left and center look crystal clear). The right side seems to have a ton of chromatic aberration as well.

Any ideas?
post #6864 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

I'm at close to max zoom, i.e. farthest from the screen to project a 120" image.

That would be the issue. But I would like to call it minimum zoom. The terminology is very confusing. But I think it is more logical to say max zoom means from the fixed distance you get the largest picture.

And it has been mentioned by other posters, myself included, that the max zoom (my term, where you get the biggest picture) is the best for focus uniformity. I'm currently as max zoom and it is reasonably sharp across the entire screen. I did try some mid level zoom and one corner gets bad.

So if you don't want to move it closer, you may have to live with it. Or consider the Optoma? They are all longer throw than 1070.
post #6865 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxyUK View Post

1.07 only allows SBS at 24hz

1.06 already supports SBS 1080p@60hz. There is another catch though. I think it needs RGB color space. Some other color spaces will still fall back to 24hz.
post #6866 of 8477
But still can't show 1080p50 SBS
post #6867 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post


1.06 already supports SBS 1080p@60hz. There is another catch though. I think it needs RGB color space. Some other color spaces will still fall back to 24hz.

I didn't know that! Well on the WDTV I can choose the colour space, any real world detriment if I select RGB instead of YUV?

post #6868 of 8477

Cheers hotjt133 just had a go and that's much better being able to leave it all on 1080p 60 now, assuming I'm not told RGB is a big no no.

 

I have 3 options, YUV, RGB low and RGB high. RGB low and YUV appear to my eye basically the same, RGB high lose detail (I have researched it and understand the basics of why).

 

I assume having changed from YUV to RGB I will have to calibrate my projector again?

post #6869 of 8477
W1070 for $799.99 here.

EDIT: Also $799.99 here.
Edited by mekret - 11/28/13 at 9:04pm
post #6870 of 8477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

W1070 for $799.99 here.

Just picked one up.
The cheapest it will ever be.

Thanks!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$