or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 258

post #7711 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoholic View Post

^^ Thanks. I use my HTPC as source for movie to my W1070. How do I get frame interpolation or smoothing for my HTPC? As I said, I use 1080p 24hz for 3D but have to change to 1080 60hz for football and sport as 24hz is severely lagging. I rather set it to 60hz for all content if it looks good.

SVP as per link above gives you frame interpolation and MadVR renderer gives you smooth motion. SVP adds frames in between the original frames to attempt to smooth the image, and MadVR blends existing adjacent frames to remove judder.

What HTPC front end are you using? You should be able to get the player to automatically switch video card frame rates if your using MadVR and that will automatically set the correct frame rate on the projector.

Some HTPC players also have their own auto video card resolution switcher that will make the projector automatically switch to the best frame rate and video mode. I use Jriver MC19 with its own built-in switcher so I automatically get switched from 24 to 29, 50 and 60hz depending on what frame rate is detected. Works great for automatically switching between TV, ripped DVDs and Blu-rays at the proper frame rate. The HDMI re-sync on video mode changes is really fast now on the projector with the lastest firmware (less than 2 seconds) so I don't really see the point in locking it to 60hz, especially for a HTPC.
post #7712 of 8481
Is 2.35 possible for W1070 / even W1080st with wide angle lens??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ-ZnajmvFw

He made it for his epson 3010
post #7713 of 8481
How are people dealing inch with side to side adhustments if the mount isn't aligned perfectly with the center of the screen? Anyone have suggestions as to whether the peerless or chief is more forgiving in the area!
post #7714 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

http://www.svp-team.com/

Jason
Thanks for link. I have some reading to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

SVP as per link above gives you frame interpolation and MadVR renderer gives you smooth motion. SVP adds frames in between the original frames to attempt to smooth the image, and MadVR blends existing adjacent frames to remove judder.

What HTPC front end are you using? You should be able to get the player to automatically switch video card frame rates if your using MadVR and that will automatically set the correct frame rate on the projector.

Some HTPC players also have their own auto video card resolution switcher that will make the projector automatically switch to the best frame rate and video mode. I use Jriver MC19 with its own built-in switcher so I automatically get switched from 24 to 29, 50 and 60hz depending on what frame rate is detected. Works great for automatically switching between TV, ripped DVDs and Blu-rays at the proper frame rate. The HDMI re-sync on video mode changes is really fast now on the projector with the lastest firmware (less than 2 seconds) so I don't really see the point in locking it to 60hz, especially for a HTPC.
is MadVR an addition to svp? If so where can I get that?
I have an HTPC with quad core AMD 4100 CPU and Radeon 6670 video card. I am currently using mediabrowser and play movie with WMC. Jriver MC19 sounds nice. I like mediabrowser the way it pulls in artworks from my mkv ripped movies. Can I still be able to use mediabrowser with jriver, svp and madVR installed? Sorry as I said I have some reading to do. Thanks.
post #7715 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

How are people dealing inch with side to side adhustments if the mount isn't aligned perfectly with the center of the screen? Anyone have suggestions as to whether the peerless or chief is more forgiving in the area!

The Chief mounts include a yaw adjustment, which is what you're asking about. The Peerless mounts do not, so you have the option of rotating them around the downtube, if you're using one, or of loosening the anchor bolts if you've got it bolted to the ceiling, or of trying to adjust the universal mounting solution. For me, this is a major shortcoming of what is otherwise an excellently designed Peerless mount, but if you scroll through this thread a few pages back, you'll see others have either jury-rigged yaw solutions or feel confident they can align their mount perfectly when installing so it's a moot issue.
post #7716 of 8481
But yaw is just rotation isn't it? Wouldn't you then need to do some image adjustments to account for the keystoneing that would occurs? (In this case side to side instead of the traditional up-down keystone issues. ) sorry this is all new to me.
post #7717 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungary View Post

Is 2.35 possible for W1070 / even W1080st with wide angle lens??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ-ZnajmvFw

He made it for his epson 3010

this is an interesting approach wonder how effective it really is and what wide angle lens he really used....

for shits and giggles I bought a wide angle lens, is the right one eh dont know but it was cheap enough to experiment with and if it seems to work then I will get a better lens and see if there is a difference.

Edit: Clarification I am doing this for a larger image not for anamorphic since well thats not what can be done...
Edited by Daniel Chaves - 2/6/14 at 9:31pm
post #7718 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

But yaw is just rotation isn't it? Wouldn't you then need to do some image adjustments to account for the keystoneing that would occurs? (In this case side to side instead of the traditional up-down keystone issues. ) sorry this is all new to me.

I suppose there are two kinds of side to side alignment. One is whether the projector is perfectly parallel to the screen. A yaw adjustment will help fix that. The other is whether you've mounted the projector at the midpoint of your screen. I'm under the impression some mounts may allow this kind of lateral adjustment, but neither the Peerless nor the Chief mounts with which I'm familiar do. But it shouldn't be too difficult to put the projector in the right spot, and most screens can be slid laterally on their wall brackets, and it's not a huge deal if the screens end up having to be a few millimeters off the preferred wall location in one direction or another. And yes, if you use yaw for the second kind of adjustment, you'd get keystoning, so that should be avoided.
post #7719 of 8481
yea.. pls figure it out guys... i am still seeking for a projector.
it should br the same diameter of the nd filter you guys using.
and try to get a wide angle lens with value closer to 1 (means least wide),0.8 / 0.85 shall be a good start.
and it might require the highest quality optics possible from further image degradation/edge abbreviation
post #7720 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

But yaw is just rotation isn't it? Wouldn't you then need to do some image adjustments to account for the keystoneing that would occurs? (In this case side to side instead of the traditional up-down keystone issues. ) sorry this is all new to me.

Yes it will introduce keystone. And what annoys me is that many brands of projectors have different lens locations, some are center, some are left side, some are right side. I may try a different brand in the future but the mount can't be easily moved and I try not to. There are holes in the ceiling already.

What I did was install the mount in the absolute center of the room. I can't find a reasonably priced mount to let you move side to side. For this 1070, I adjusted the spider arm to let the lens positioned directly under the mount (not the center of the projector). It is unbalanced, unfortunately, and it will sag a bit on one side. But with careful adjustment (very time consuming) I can get it perfectly aligned to the center of the room. I guess if I use an Epson in the future (most of them have a central lens) it will be a much easier job.
Edited by hotjt133 - 2/6/14 at 2:19pm
post #7721 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

this is an interesting approach wonder how effective it really is and what wide angle lens he really used....

for shits and giggles I bought a wide angle lens, is the right one eh dont know but it was cheap enough to experiment with and if it seems to work then I will get a better lens and see if there is a difference.
Please let me know what lens works for you, and how you mounted it... This would actually be a good DIY thread too.
post #7722 of 8481
Thanks for the reply hotjt, sounds like I can position the mount so that the center of the lense is center to the screen and the spider arms allow for so lateral movement.

This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal but I am building my screen into a big entertainment center with small tolerances on the side so I would like to be able to move the project and not the screen should the two not be perfectly aligned from the start.

So basically the chief is the way to go to give me the most flexibility. Thanks!
post #7723 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSet View Post

Thanks for the reply hotjt, sounds like I can position the mount so that the center of the lense is center to the screen and the spider arms allow for so lateral movement.

This probably wouldn't be as big of a deal but I am building my screen into a big entertainment center with small tolerances on the side so I would like to be able to move the project and not the screen should the two not be perfectly aligned from the start.

So basically the chief is the way to go to give me the most flexibility. Thanks!

What about putting the projector on a chair at the correct distance from the screen, and then moving it till the picture is centered... Then measure from the side walls, and screen to the mount edges, and transfer the info to the ceiling?
post #7724 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

What about putting the projector on a chair at the correct distance from the screen, and then moving it till the picture is centered... Then measure from the side walls, and screen to the mount edges, and transfer the info to the ceiling?

Mounting instructions in the manual tell you how to account for the off centre lens.
post #7725 of 8481
This probably something along the lines of what I will do when the time comes. I am just finishing the framing of the media room so still a couple months away.

I'm also not sure how bang on you need to be woth the transfer of the measurements. If I am off by 1/4 inch am I going to notice? Would I just over size the image and live with the loss of se of the edge image?
post #7726 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

okay this may be a silly question due to the cost involved but since the projector has the option has anyone tried this projector with an anamorphic lens?

Yeah, I have an anamorphic setup; W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista lens and an Elite Lunette 115" curved 2.35:1 screen. One problem I had was that the W1070 would not center the image when the 4:3 aspect ratio was selected (used to "normalize" a 16:9 image with the anamorphic lens fixed in place). The problem was in the firmware (v1.03) but was fixed in v1.05 I believe. I'm running v1.08 currently.

Other than that, the setup works great. I don't think one should discount an anamorphic solution because it's an inexpensive projector. I bought the lens because Panamorph was raising the price and I knew if I didn't use it with this projector (due to possible room configuration issues), I would down the road. Fortunately for me I was able to "squeeze" it into the room.
post #7727 of 8481
Quick question. I moved my screen down 4 more inches so I needed to put the projector down 4 inches also. The problem is the new hdmi cables that I ordered are 3 ft and won't fit now. Is it ok to put the projector up and use the vertical shift? This won't degrade the picture will it? If so I can just order longer cables. This goes from the wall plate to the pj.
post #7728 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Quick question. I moved my screen down 4 more inches so I needed to put the projector down 4 inches also. The problem is the new hdmi cables that I ordered are 3 ft and won't fit now. Is it ok to put the projector up and use the vertical shift? This won't degrade the picture will it? If so I can just order longer cables. This goes from the wall plate to the pj.

I have not seen any indication the picture is affected at all by vertical shift - and I did a lot of testing and experimentation to determine the most flexible location in mounting my projector. I don't think you need to worry about using the vertical shift, just make sure you can shift the image to where you need it to be if you don't move the projector.
post #7729 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungary View Post

Is 2.35 possible for W1070 / even W1080st with wide angle lens??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ-ZnajmvFw

He made it for his epson 3010

This lens has nothing to do with creating an anamorphic image. Its being used to create a larger image for the limited throw distance.
He is using lens masking on the original lens cap to hide the black bars top and bottom. (its not an anamorphic lens, its a wide angle lens being used in reverse to make a bigger picture)
Don't waste your money. The point of an anamorphic lens is to vertically squeeze the 2.35 image and use the full 1080 resolution of the projector as apposed to having black bars and only getting 800 vertical resolution on the screen.

I couldn't find a display mode on my W1080ST that would allow expanding a 2.35 image to the full resolution of 16:9 to allow you to squeeze it back down with an anamorphic lens. I can do it from my software on the HTPC though. (Jriver MC19)
Im not sure how you would use an anamorphic lens with this projector unless you use a software player or your BD player can expand the video to 16:9.
Using any mode including 4:3 mode (that Keith mentions) on my projector still leaves black bars somewhere though!

BTW from reading into it a bit more, it seems we maybe actually hurting the image quality, not improving it by using digital anamorphic expansion and lens squeeze in todays digital world...
I agree with the below, better to keep the pixels aligned (pixel perfect) and just crop/mask.

See here> http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/is-anamorphic-still-relevant/
and here> http://www.andrew-robinson-online.com/is-anamorphic-still-relevant-part-ii-does-using-an-anamorphic-lens-really-yield-a-brighter-image/
Edited by Phatboy69 - 2/7/14 at 3:23am
post #7730 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Putting a $2000-3000 anamorphic lens on an $800 projector would seem a silly thing to do. You realize you would also need a new 2.35:1 screen for this to work.

That said there are DIY anamorphic lens out there but they are mediocre at best.

I am aware of the cost as I mentioned such but some of us might want to work our way up to a better projector but figured why not if we had the chance to buy a second hand lens ($800 to 1400) why not use it for the current BenQ so all I am looking for is people who have tried this and maybe post some screens of it.

I might be doing that exact thing shortly. Get a second hand UH 480 B-Stock (chipped, but not in the light path), or even something like what I found on youtube that should fit the BenQ perfectly (but without any CA-correction coatings on it. I have written a PP shader to correct it electronically, though I'd need to test it to see what the quality is like. Also, there's some non-trivial work to get it to run in games).

Point is, it's do-able on a budget, and no matter what money you put into an A-Lens, that's money well spent because if we're lucky, there will be a new anamorphic encoding added to both 1080p and UHD Blurays (crossing my fingers), which means that not only would it be insanely good brightness and size, but also 25% higher resolution too (I mean using the rez of the BenQ).

One thing I haven't tried recently on this sucker is whether in 3D modes, if it works with anamorphic stretching. I seem to recall it wouldn't stretch vertically when passed in 24p frame packed mode in 3D. But it probably would in 1920x810 SBS modes, that's pretty certain. If not, just do the stretching on the PC side using MPC, that definitely works (and in fact the PP shader I wrote for CA correction should be a drop-in into MPC and work quite easily).
post #7731 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Yeah, I have an anamorphic setup; W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista lens and an Elite Lunette 115" curved 2.35:1 screen. One problem I had was that the W1070 would not center the image when the 4:3 aspect ratio was selected (used to "normalize" a 16:9 image with the anamorphic lens fixed in place). The problem was in the firmware (v1.03) but was fixed in v1.05 I believe. I'm running v1.08 currently.

Other than that, the setup works great. I don't think one should discount an anamorphic solution because it's an inexpensive projector. I bought the lens because Panamorph was raising the price and I knew if I didn't use it with this projector (due to possible room configuration issues), I would down the road. Fortunately for me I was able to "squeeze" it into the room.

Could you post photos of the setup and of the projected image and maybe a small youtube video if possible? I would love to see how it all looks and works. smile.gif
post #7732 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

I use Jriver MC19 with its own built-in switcher so I automatically get switched from 24 to 29, 50 and 60hz depending on what frame rate is detected. Works great for automatically switching between TV, ripped DVDs and Blu-rays at the proper frame rate.
how do you like jriver? Did you use something else before that you can compare it to? Thanks.
post #7733 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoholic View Post

how do you like jriver? Did you use something else before that you can compare it to? Thanks.

Jriver Media Centre 19 is the most powerful media player on the market.

I have used it on and off for quite a few years since version 13 but its now my full time player.
I tried using Plex, iTunes, and I have used XBMC on xbox and PC and a new dedicated vidon.me hardware media player but none of them ultimately do everything I need. (windows media center was never good enough for what i needed)

Jriver MC19 is the only one that meets all my requirements.

It plays SACD ISO's that were ripped using my old PS3 and converts the DSD signal to 24bit 192khz 2ch or 24bit 96khz 5.1 LPCM
It plays multi channel RIP and FLAC encodes of DVD-Audio discs using 24bit 192khz 2ch or 24bit 96khz 5.1 LPCM
It even plays back DTS multichannel audio encoded in wav files.

I have it setup to automatically play back 2 channel in 2.1 and every other multichannel format gets up converted to LPCM 7.1 surround. It decodes every single format properly including DTSHD MA 5.1 and 7.1, TrueHD, DTS, DTS Es discrete 6.1 and of course Dolby Digital. (all converted to LPCM 7.1 multi channel)

Of course MP3, Ogg, Flac, M4A, WAV, APE (including protected content as long as the PC is authorised) and every other audio format you can think of is handled seamlessly whether it be 2 channel or multichannel.
It has full room correction, supports convolution time and frequency alignment, parametric equalization, full bass redirection and crossover settings in room correction.
It support low latency WASAPI, ASIO audio out and bitstreaming.

Plus
Every video format known to man and it has built in LAV, ffdshow and MadVR all integrated and optimised with what they call "Red October" and "Red October HQ" (the later automatically uses MadVR renderer instead of windows VMR or EVR.) (even plays back my Tivo video files which are uploaded to the media server Raid array)
It takes the hard work out of getting the best possible picture by creating its own filter graphs using the best available decoders in the market (LAV/ffdshow/MadVR) but gives the flexibility so that if you know what your doing you can create your own custom filter graphs and decoders. It has very comprehensive command line and scripting support if thats your thing.

It even plays back BluRay ISOs movie only without the need for external Bluray App, or you can use it as a front end and launch Blurays with full menu support in an external app.
It has built in automatic scrappers for TV, DVD, Bluray and Audio to build your media images and info.
Built in Rippers for CD's DVD's and Bluray.

It has a 10 foot interface called theatre view that's as good as XBMC and Plex, but also has detailed desktop view and configuration options that the others just cant touch.
The theatre view menu is customisable and skinable.
Automatic video mode switching.
Supports TV tuners and recording with program guide, including from theatre view.
Theatre view integration for netflix, hulu and youtube.
Built in store support for Amazon, Audible, CD Baby and HDtracks.
Full MCE remote compatible. Third party iPhone/iPad App called Jremote for remote control and streaming. Gizmo for native remote control/streaming from Web browser and gizmo for Android.
Support for zones and streaming.
Supports photos.
Has comprehensive tagging and library management.

I made it sound complicated, but its not if you just use the basics and you can learn more over time to get the most out of it.
It has very active community support in the forum and very active development. For example, they listened to my idea last year and implemented built in calibration test tones for setting up speaker levels and subwoofers properly without a calibration disc.
It has a 30 day trial give it a go.

Yes I love it and I wouldn't watch movies on my Benq any other way! I run a fully digitized media library with 15TB of disk on a RAID array and its a dream to use.
Oh and it supports external devices and hard drives (media players) for sync, I use it to create my music library and play lists for the car and plug a 500GB USB disk into the car.

http://jriver.com/index.html

Thread about moving from WMC/Mediabrowser to Jriver MC. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67259.0
Edited by Phatboy69 - 2/7/14 at 2:51am
post #7734 of 8481
^^ sound awesome. I did install it last night as the matter of fact and saw some of those options/features you mentioned. Thanks for the 'moving from mediabrowser link'. More reading to do ....i wouldn't need SVP and madVR then with jriver, correct? I might need to PM you with questions if you don't mind as I don't want to derail this thread.
Edited by Bassoholic - 2/7/14 at 5:54am
post #7735 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

Plus
Every video format known to man

Just for fun, I'd like to challenge you of this claim. I bet it doesn't know some odd Chinese video formats such as xv.
post #7736 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Could you post photos of the setup and of the projected image and maybe a small youtube video if possible? I would love to see how it all looks and works. smile.gif

Daniel, I'll see if I can come up with some photos today.
post #7737 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves 
Could you post photos of the setup and of the projected image and maybe a small youtube video if possible? I would love to see how it all looks and works. smile.gif
Daniel, I'll see if I can come up with some photos today.
Yessss!
post #7738 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

I have not seen any indication the picture is affected at all by vertical shift - and I did a lot of testing and experimentation to determine the most flexible location in mounting my projector. I don't think you need to worry about using the vertical shift, just make sure you can shift the image to where you need it to be if you don't move the projector.

Thank you, I will more the pj up and adjust the lens shift tonight.
post #7739 of 8481
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

Just for fun, I'd like to challenge you of this claim. I bet it doesn't know some odd Chinese video formats such as xv.

Yes well that's a closed system proprietary format with a dedicated player for a chinese video store.
No one supports that one because its completely proprietary to the Xunlei thunder download manager . smile.gif
post #7740 of 8481
Off topic... anyone here uses UPS or power conditioner? If so, can you please share which brand/model you are using?

My components thus far are Onkyo NR808, Panny Blu Ray (DMP55), BenQ W1070, Wii and cable box. I am thinking about building HTPC and maybe add-on a TV down the line (TV/PJ combo) and will most likely hook up my Polk sub to a separate surge protector. So I definitely want something w/ plenty of juice (to have a few min to show down entire HT setup if on) and would love to have the rackable UPS and/or conditioner.

I was thinking about APC J35B (LINK), but I'm not sure if would support all of my components.
Edited by Cerberus83 - 2/7/14 at 9:01am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$