or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s? - Page 21

post #601 of 1005
I keep thinking, "Where in the heck is he going to put 4 more 18's in his room?" And my answer in my head keeps coming back, "Bend over and I'll show ya'!!" Guess it must just be that Holiday time of year.
post #602 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Haha, I guess my wife would agree with you. Sadly though there are many on here way worse than I. biggrin.gif
Or at least that's what you tell your wife. wink.gif
post #603 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

I keep thinking, "Where in the heck is he going to put 4 more 18's in his room?" And my answer in my head keeps coming back, "Bend over and I'll show ya'!!" Guess it must just be that Holiday time of year.

LOL, very appropriate for the season. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Or at least that's what you tell your wife. wink.gif

You got me. Good thing she doesn't read the forums. tongue.gif
post #604 of 1005
you said you used ripped 1x4's for your grill frames. did the depth/thickness end up around an inch to leave room for excursion? i know some of that 1x stuff isnt always 1"
post #605 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

you said you used ripped 1x4's for your grill frames. did the depth/thickness end up around an inch to leave room for excursion? i know some of that 1x stuff isnt always 1"

1x4's are 3.5" so when ripped in half they were 1.75" (length) so they do not come close to the surround. The thickness is 0.75". You can also buy 1x2's which are a little smaller at 1.5" - I used these on box #3.
post #606 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

1x4's are 3.5" so when ripped in half they were 1.75" so they do not come close to the surround. You can also buy 1x2's which are a little smaller at 1.5" - I used these on box #3.

i mean depth.
post #607 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i mean depth.

I updated my original post probably at the same time in case that was what you were referring to. The depth (0.75") doesn't really matter if the frame is not positioned near the driver. The surround will move the cloth at full tilt but it doesn't harm anything.
post #608 of 1005
back to my tough decisions hah, 2x dts-10s that i will have to get rid of for 2x dual enclosed subs, wonder if i will be missing anything going this route.
post #609 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I updated my original post probably at the same time in case that was what you were referring to. The depth (0.75") doesn't really matter if the frame is not positioned near the driver. The surround will move the cloth at full tilt but it doesn't harm anything.

cool. thats what i was wondering. i might make mine 1" thick then. the cloth i use is not normal grill cloth. its more course. im also recessing the whole baffle, so ill go with about 1.25" for that so then i have room to stick a 1" thick grill in there if i want to.

the cloth is like this stuff

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/acoustone-amplifer-grill-cloth
post #610 of 1005
Thread Starter 
OK not a fun or productive night. Two issues that need to be addressed:

1) I wanted to run some more omnimic sweeps and I now have a hard rolloff at 20hz. Not sure what in my chain is causing this but very annoying. I've bypassed the minidsp, audyssey, and even switched between the LG clone and the crown amps - everything produces the same results. Ugh.

2) Both enclosures have developed a rattle/vibration at the very low (5-20hz) range. I only noticed after running some hard sine wave sweeps tonight. I'm going to pull all of the drivers this weekend, inspect and add more bracing/glue.

Awesome. frown.gif
Edited by Gorilla83 - 12/11/12 at 6:59pm
post #611 of 1005
leaks?
post #612 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

leaks?

No leaks that I can detect. I inspected them thoroughly and there is there is no air escaping even at high levels.
post #613 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Just thought of something - I also rewired each sub terminal tonight so I could run in 8 ohm stereo. Perhaps I jacked something up with the phase.....hmm. :cool:I will check again tomorrow night.
post #614 of 1005
+ of terminal to + of first sub, - of first sub to - of 2nd sub, and + of 2nd sub to - of terminal. Does that sound about right for wiring subs in series and the phasing thing?
post #615 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

+ of terminal to + of first sub, - of first sub to - of 2nd sub, and + of 2nd sub to - of terminal. Does that sound about right for wiring subs in series and the phasing thing?

It would be:
First sub connect + to - of second sub
Connect remaining + and - from each sub to the terminal / amp


OK I'm an idiot, wiring mistake corrected and I'm back on track. Flat back down to 7hz with the Crown, will test the clone tonight. smile.gif I got up earlier to test it this morning because I had to know, haha.

The vibrations I noticed were due to the drivers being out of phase and trying to push/pull their way out of the box. Whew.biggrin.gif
post #616 of 1005
Sweet
post #617 of 1005
Great news rilla- I was nervous for you for a minute there
post #618 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

It would be:
First sub connect + to - of second sub
Connect remaining + and - from each sub to the terminal / amp
OK I'm an idiot, wiring mistake corrected and I'm back on track. Flat back down to 7hz with the Crown, will test the clone tonight. smile.gif I got up earlier to test it this morning because I had to know, haha.
The vibrations I noticed were due to the drivers being out of phase and trying to push/pull their way out of the box. Whew.biggrin.gif

It will be interesting to see charts of both amps.
post #619 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Meh. smile.gif



I toyed around with the minidsp a bit. I'm listening to the "flattened" curve now and I honestly think I prefer the sound with the midrange added back in. I will do some more experimenting for now, having a great time down here. smile.gif

So it appears my Crown was not the culprit of the 7hz rolloff. Now I'm flat to about 6 hz as you can see. Anything lower is really pointless, it's just cool looking at the graphs now, heh. Maybe it's the drivers giving up or something else, not sure. We will see how it looks when the next 4 drivers come into play.

Listening impressions with the clone amp: So far so good. I have it running in 8 ohm stereo with I believe is rated around 2350/channel. Output wise seems very comparable to the Crown XLS5000 in 2 ohm stereo. I've been POUNDING music for the last 20 minutes at crazy volumes and the case is literally cold, lol. (not kidding). Sound quality is awesome too, super clean and tight as expected. More to come, movies next.

Man this setup is fun.
post #620 of 1005
how do the 2 (4) of them compare to the triple SubM setup we ran in October?

the Freq curve looks similar
post #621 of 1005
Awesome!!! biggrin.gif
post #622 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Awesome!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks Scott!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

back to my tough decisions hah, 2x dts-10s that i will have to get rid of for 2x dual enclosed subs, wonder if i will be missing anything going this route.

I'm not sure I would give up the dts for just two enclosures. They are monsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

how do the 2 (4) of them compare to the triple SubM setup we ran in October?
the Freq curve looks similar

You know what they say about audio memory. smile.gif I will say they still sound great to me - well balanced, good output, extension, and they even look half decent. I can't wait to add in the other drivers. smile.gif

Also - I just thought of something. I think I'm at the limits of the omnimic around 7hz?tongue.gif
post #623 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Also finished up paint/Duratex on box 3 in between listening sessions:





post #624 of 1005
^^^Oh boy. Not sure how I'm gonna compete with that on any level except cost, and time spent. Beautiful. Can't wait to try and keep up with them! I'm going ported, the first two are going together tonight, the other two Friday if the first two test well. Up 8db at 16hz and 6db at 20hz vs. sealed, that's my only hope.
Edited by imagic - 12/12/12 at 5:40pm
post #625 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Meh. smile.gif

and that is just the two boxes so far huh? wow!
post #626 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

^^^Oh boy. Not sure how I'm gonna compete with that on any level except cost, and time spent. Beautiful. Can't wait to try and keep up with them! I'm going ported, the first two are going together tonight, the other two Friday if the first two test well. Up 8db at 16hz and 6db at 20hz vs. sealed, that's my only hope.

Meh, I wouldn't look at it from a "competition" standpoint bro...

Just getting together to take some measurements, moreso to benifit the community above all else. I say stick with sealed to take out that ported variable. If we start incorporating ported boxes, Gorilla will have to toss his Caps in the mix...and from a 1 cab vs 1 cab perspective, I doubt anything coming to the party will match those beasts...
post #627 of 1005
Of course not. Until somebody busts out the Whisky and the Rum. wink.gif

I'll keep a pair of them as sealed until after the GTG, because a pair of them are already ported as I type. The difference is too ridiculous to ignore, but I can wait. I'll bring the sealed pair - I use Zipcar and it'll save me some real $ not to have to rent a van to carry four. It's easy to extrapolate what four would do if we measure two. My main purpose is to provide some good bass & get some good photos.

Gotta say, things are REALLY shaking now. I'll be glad to get some real perspective on how deep and loud a subwoofer system can get, because my horizons do keep expanding - no doubt about it.

edit - I don't know why it wasn't obvious to me, I can plug the ports with standard PVC end caps & we're back to sealed config.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Meh, I wouldn't look at it from a "competition" standpoint bro...
Just getting together to take some measurements, moreso to benifit the community above all else. I say stick with sealed to take out that ported variable. If we start incorporating ported boxes, Gorilla will have to toss his Caps in the mix...and from a 1 cab vs 1 cab perspective, I doubt anything coming to the party will match those beasts...

Edited by imagic - 12/13/12 at 1:43am
post #628 of 1005
Quote:
Also - I just thought of something. I think I'm at the limits of the omnimic around 7hz?tongue.gif

That is interesting to me. Edogg and I are discussing the limits of the OM system and why so many of us are still seeing a big rolloff right above 10hz. seems you don't have the same problem...Grrrr
post #629 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

That is interesting to me. Edogg and I are discussing the limits of the OM system and why so many of us are still seeing a big rolloff right above 10hz. seems you don't have the same problem...Grrrr

Yes, just read those posts in your thread as well. From the omnimic page, they claim it is accurate to around 5hz, but who knows. frown.gif

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-792
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Meh, I wouldn't look at it from a "competition" standpoint bro...
Just getting together to take some measurements, moreso to benifit the community above all else. I say stick with sealed to take out that ported variable. If we start incorporating ported boxes, Gorilla will have to toss his Caps in the mix...and from a 1 cab vs 1 cab perspective, I doubt anything coming to the party will match those beasts...

Agreed, we're all there just to have fun and beat up on some equipment. smile.gif If we happen to learn a thing or two, that wouldn't be so bad either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Of course not. Until somebody busts out the Whisky and the Rum. wink.gif
I'll keep a pair of them as sealed until after the GTG, because a pair of them are already ported as I type. The difference is too ridiculous to ignore, but I can wait. I'll bring the sealed pair - I use Zipcar and it'll save me some real $ not to have to rent a van to carry four. It's easy to extrapolate what four would do if we measure two. My main purpose is to provide some good bass & get some good photos.
Gotta say, sealed subs are seeming like a bit of a waste electricity for someone like me who's on a budget. Things are REALLY shaking now. I'll be glad to get some real perspective on how deep and loud a subwoofer system can really get, because my horizons do keep expanding - no doubt about it.

I agree ported is awesome if you're on a budget and/or power limited, the difference is significant. Can't wait to check out you creations, really cool stuff!
post #630 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

and that is just the two boxes so far huh? wow!

Yes sir. My room does have some decent room gain, fortunately. tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s?