or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s? - Page 23

post #661 of 1005
can you get a couple shots of how you stuff them when you do it?

also, what gauge wire are you using inside?
post #662 of 1005
i mean the sub cabinets ..........
post #663 of 1005
Thread Starter 
There really isn't anything to stuffing the cabinets other than.....well just packing it in there. I posted a shot earlier:



I also use 12 gauge wire.
post #664 of 1005
Wow. That's really packed in there! How much did you use per cab?
post #665 of 1005
I am looking forward to seeing his the Dayton HO18's compare to the Stereo Integrity 18's!
post #666 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Wow. That's really packed in there! How much did you use per cab?

If I recall it was a little over 6.5 pounds? I think recommended is about 1 lb per cubic foot.
post #667 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Wow. That's really packed in there! How much did you use per cab?
That doesn't look that packed in to me. When it would stop your fist if you tried to punch it, it's packed in. biggrin.gif
post #668 of 1005
oh i dont mean to criticize. im just curious because i am wondering how much to put in my own. i was going to line it with foam but this would be easier and cheaper!
post #669 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

oh i dont mean to criticize. im just curious because i am wondering how much to put in my own. i was going to line it with foam but this would be easier and cheaper!

As Gorilla mentioned I see 1lb per cu ft recommended as a starting point. You can always adjust after you start measuring the final product. My Walmart has a 10lb box of the stuff for $21.
post #670 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

As Gorilla mentioned I see 1lb per cu ft recommended as a starting point. You can always adjust after you start measuring the final product. My Walmart has a 10lb box of the stuff for $21.

That's where I bought mine. Although I believe I got 50oz bags for 8.00 or so. cool.gif
post #671 of 1005
That's much more stuffing than I added... How do you stop it interfering with the driver?
post #672 of 1005
Most fabric shops carry dacron (quilting batting) in various thicknesses that might be cheaper than buying it in a bag. It is easy to cut or pull apart.
You just buy it by the yard.
post #673 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

The Daytons win the sexy good looks part of the competition. Beautiful woofer! Schwing...schwing, schwing! lol. I know, I'm sick and wrong. Luckily, I think I'm not alone here.tongue.gif

Definitely agree. I think the Dayton looks great really at any price - especially in the budget category. That aluminum cone always catches me staring. biggrin.gif
post #674 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gw742296 View Post

Most fabric shops carry dacron (quilting batting) in various thicknesses that might be cheaper than buying it in a bag. It is easy to cut or pull apart.
You just buy it by the yard.

good to know. Walmart seems to carry a lot of "pillow stuffing" material as well
post #675 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Definitely agree. I think the Dayton looks great really at any price - especially in the budget category. That aluminum cone always catches me staring. biggrin.gif


aluminum cones tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif
post #676 of 1005
Thread Starter 
I think I've really got the hang of this Duratex application by the 4th box. tongue.gif







post #677 of 1005
Yeah. Definitely. It looks great!
post #678 of 1005
I agree!
post #679 of 1005
Real pro looking finish Rilla!

Are you still priming the box before the Duratex application? How many coats?
post #680 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

That's where I bought mine. Although I believe I got 50oz bags for 8.00 or so. cool.gif

Just grabbed four 50oz. Bags from Wally World myself. Two bags per cab should be perfect.
post #681 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Guys - I have all 4 subs up and running now. The 3rd and 4th subs are behind the couch and acting as an end table. First and foremost the output and impact is absolutely ABSURD!! Completely blows away anything I've had in the room so far. I've spent only a few quick minutes listening so far since I don't have a lot of time left today before family activities kick off. Tomorrow I'm hoping to re-eq and take some onmnmic sweeps along the way. I've learned a few things from the 10 short minutes I've spent demo'ing them:

1) I don't know if I'll ever be able to need or tolerate much more output for more than a clip or two at a time. Upon first hooking them up I had to back the sub level down -4 or -5 DB in order to not overpower the mains. The impact with the sub behind the couch makes me giggle like a second grade schoolkid at recess. I'm confident I'm seeing 130+ DB at the listening position for most frequencies. I will know more when i measure shortly.

2) I feel sorry for my wife when I have friends over to demo while she is home. Truly.

3) I have a newfound respect for what this clone amp can really do now that it's wired in 4 ohm stereo. It's freaking awesome. Hopefully it stays working for a while. biggrin.gif I had it cranked near reference for a few clips and wasn't even close to finding the limits of this setup.

4) Some of you guys have got to get over here this week and have a listen. Seriously.

5) I'm really going to have to respect this setup or I will have some serious hearing damage. biggrin.gif

I'm going to toy with placement a bit next and finish up the grills. Once I've found the locations, I will wire them through the walls with outlet plates, etc and snap some pictures for you guys.

Merry Christmas Eve all!!!
post #682 of 1005
GREAT stuff Rilla, glad it all worked it out! Merry Christmas
post #683 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

GREAT stuff Rilla, glad it all worked it out! Merry Christmas

Thanks. I gave my wife a demo of a few scenes and her comment was "it's like 3d, although the third dimension is feel/touch." biggrin.gif
post #684 of 1005
you my friend have just taken it to 11

awesome work, cant wait for measurements and to hear it again next year. i bet it sound just as insane and grin inducing as i can imagine.

in other speaker news i just got done ninja installing a 2.1 setup for my dad biggrin.gif
post #685 of 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Guys - I have all 4 subs up and running now. The 3rd and 4th subs are behind the couch and acting as an end table. First and foremost the output and impact is absolutely ABSURD!! Completely blows away anything I've had in the room so far. I've spent only a few quick minutes listening so far since I don't have a lot of time left today before family activities kick off. Tomorrow I'm hoping to re-eq and take some onmnmic sweeps along the way. I've learned a few things from the 10 short minutes I've spent demo'ing them:
1) I don't know if I'll ever be able to need or tolerate much more output for more than a clip or two at a time. Upon first hooking them up I had to back the sub level down -4 or -5 DB in order to not overpower the mains. The impact with the sub behind the couch makes me giggle like a second grade schoolkid at recess. I'm confident I'm seeing 130+ DB at the listening position for most frequencies. I will know more when i measure shortly.
2) I feel sorry for my wife when I have friends over to demo while she is home. Truly.
3) I have a newfound respect for what this clone amp can really do now that it's wired in 4 ohm stereo. It's freaking awesome. Hopefully it stays working for a while. biggrin.gif I had it cranked near reference for a few clips and wasn't even close to finding the limits of this setup.
4) Some of you guys have got to get over here this week and have a listen. Seriously.
5) I'm really going to have to respect this setup or I will have some serious hearing damage. biggrin.gif
I'm going to toy with placement a bit next and finish up the grills. Once I've found the locations, I will wire them through the walls with outlet plates, etc and snap some pictures for you guys.
Merry Christmas Eve all!!!



Love these kind of posts. Nice job man.

Have you tried it with just the nearfield subs on and the upfront subs off? How does that compare to having all 4 running at the same time? Have fun, I'm jealous, as I'm sure most everyone else is that reads the above post. Blowing away dual Caps and triple Submersives is no small feat, but I believe you, I'm nowhere near those kinds of decibel levels in my room (hmm well I guess I could get there with the Noesis but how friggin painful would that be?!?! eek.gif ).
post #686 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Love these kind of posts. Nice job man.
Have you tried it with just the nearfield subs on and the upfront subs off? How does that compare to having all 4 running at the same time? Have fun, I'm jealous, as I'm sure most everyone else is that reads the above post. Blowing away dual Caps and triple Submersives is no small feat, but I believe you, I'm nowhere near those kinds of decibel levels in my room (hmm well I guess I could get there with the Noesis but how friggin painful would that be?!?! eek.gif ).

Carp - so far I've only had about 20 minutes demo time but I will add that test to the list as well. I may even move all 4 to the front of the room to see how it sounds as well. I have had one of my caps near field upstairs before too, and it was awesome but not like this with 4 18's kicking you in the face. biggrin.gif
post #687 of 1005
Rilla,

In the post with the pic of your quad underneath the screen; how far from the front wall is your driver? Only reason I ask is I am thinking about going with a dual opposed instead of my tower, but it would put the rear facing driver within an inch of the back wall. It would also only allow about an inch or so in between the two drivers inside the cab.
post #688 of 1005
Now you're talking. I would love a chance to demo. I also love having a pair of subs behind the couch. I'm going to guess that's the configuration you go with most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Guys - I have all 4 subs up and running now. The 3rd and 4th subs are behind the couch and acting as an end table. First and foremost the output and impact is absolutely ABSURD!! Completely blows away anything I've had in the room so far. I've spent only a few quick minutes listening so far since I don't have a lot of time left today before family activities kick off. Tomorrow I'm hoping to re-eq and take some onmnmic sweeps along the way. I've learned a few things from the 10 short minutes I've spent demo'ing them:
1) I don't know if I'll ever be able to need or tolerate much more output for more than a clip or two at a time. Upon first hooking them up I had to back the sub level down -4 or -5 DB in order to not overpower the mains. The impact with the sub behind the couch makes me giggle like a second grade schoolkid at recess. I'm confident I'm seeing 130+ DB at the listening position for most frequencies. I will know more when i measure shortly.
2) I feel sorry for my wife when I have friends over to demo while she is home. Truly.
3) I have a newfound respect for what this clone amp can really do now that it's wired in 4 ohm stereo. It's freaking awesome. Hopefully it stays working for a while. biggrin.gif I had it cranked near reference for a few clips and wasn't even close to finding the limits of this setup.
4) Some of you guys have got to get over here this week and have a listen. Seriously.
5) I'm really going to have to respect this setup or I will have some serious hearing damage. biggrin.gif
I'm going to toy with placement a bit next and finish up the grills. Once I've found the locations, I will wire them through the walls with outlet plates, etc and snap some pictures for you guys.
Merry Christmas Eve all!!!
post #689 of 1005
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Now you're talking. I would love a chance to demo. I also love having a pair of subs behind the couch. I'm going to guess that's the configuration you go with most of the time.

I'm thinking so too. Didn't get a whole lot of play time today but did get in a quick demo for my brother and dad. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Rilla,
In the post with the pic of your quad underneath the screen; how far from the front wall is your driver? Only reason I ask is I am thinking about going with a dual opposed instead of my tower, but it would put the rear facing driver within an inch of the back wall. It would also only allow about an inch or so in between the two drivers inside the cab.

Typically I keep them about 5-6" from the wall but if I remember correctly the measurements weren't all that different with them up close in my room. The only way to know for sure what's best is to experiment in your room.
post #690 of 1005
Great build!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DIY Speakers and Subs
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › DIY Speakers and Subs › First DIY project for a guy looking to upgrade - multiple sealed 18s?