Originally Posted by sporked
I just replaced my old 3000 series ReplayTV with a 5040. The 3000 was on dial-up, and the 5040 is on the network. I'd like to move the content from the 3000 hard drive to the 5040 hard drive. Any suggestions on the best way to do that would be appreciated.
Can I put both drives in the 5040 to transfer the shows? Take both drives out and put them in a PC? Is there a better approach?
You can't just copy the files over..
1. The mpeg streams aren't compatible.
3. The Replay won't know they are there. Guide entires are only made when a show is recorded or revceived via IVS.
You can always set up your 5000 series RTV to manually record the output from the 3000... but that should a method of last resort.
1. Use ExtractRTV to copy the video mpegs off the 3000 series hard disk to your computer.
2. Convert the 3000 series mpegs to 5000 compatible mpegs (not sure if RTVToolKit will do this...I think TMPGEnc will...)
3. Stream the shows to your 5000 series from the PC via WiRNS or DVArchive.
p.s. - You can always just run them out to DVD once you get them off the 3000 series RTV and possible watch them in your DVD player...