Wanna hear another funny story??
So, the other day I checked out MSDN and realized Office 2013 is available now. Yipee!! or not.... I set a restore point on my main workstation and proceeded to install Office 2013. Mind you, this is an uber stable, quite fast system (i7 960 based with dual video cards, water cooled, running at 4.4GHz with 16 GB of RAM and Windows 7). It screams and rips literally anything I throw at it, to shreds. This is also my main workstation, so I do lots of video editing, software development, 3d modeling etc on it, so I keep it fully patched, defragged etc etc.
1. Set restore point
2. Install Office 2013.
3. Play with it.
Hmm...this has the whole "Metro" feel with flat border-less Windows and as usual lots of bloatware, i.e. social crap. If I need that, I'll go to crapbook..er..facebook, I don't need that in my enterprise email client. But oh well, let's give them the benefit of doubt. Overall, I had to tweak it a bit to "my" taste....(er, Microsoft, the blue color you have chosen to display new emails, email counts in etc, just doesn't go well on large displays. Take note).
4. Patch Windows again, as it suddenly needed to installed 36 more updates. And then another 14. (uh...50 updates as soon as the product is installed??)
5. Start using it daily.
6. Day 2 - Word crashed on opening a document. No clue why.
7. Day 2 - I thought maybe I was dumb and didn't install Office properly, so uninstalled it, rebooted and reinstalled it.
8. Immediate big banner in Outlook - Your Office is not registered and Outlook will lose most of its functionality in 10 days. Ah, I need to put the product key in again. No sweat.
9. Spent an hour looking for a place to put the product key in. Nada. Zip. Zero. Can't find it. And I'm supposed to be a techie. I suck.
10. An obscure post on Microsoft forums suggested repairing the install. Ok...I can do that...
11. If you run the repair install, it gives you an option to put a new product key in..... REALLY??? SERIOUSLY?? Somebody better get fired at Microsoft.... I grumbled, put my key in and went my merry way...or so I thought.
12. Day 3 - Outlook crashed on replying to a message with attachments. I thought I did something stupid...but nope, crashed every single time on that message.
13. Then it crashed again on another message with NO attachments. Uhhh....
14. While this was going on.....something kept nagging me that my system has been feeling slow ever since.....take a wild guess. I checked everything thrice, even reverted the overclock to stock, defragged three times, checked every single startup service/registry key...you name it. Nope, everything is as it should be, other than......take a wild guess.
15. Uninstalled Office 2013.
16. Hmm....system is snappy again! weird.
17. Reinstalled Office 2013 - System back to sluggishness.
18. Uninstalled Office 2103, reinstalled Office 2010 and screamed some choice cuss words at Microsoft.
19. Opened some good 18 yr old scotch to drown my sorrows.
Microsoft - Get a grip.