or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 - my verdict.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8 - my verdict. - Page 18

post #511 of 622
Although XP had too many eye candies compared to 2000.
Not so much in W8 vs W7. Just several nice extra features + it seems to be faster/snappier than W7.
Of course no scientific proof for the difference in speed, just the end user impressions.
post #512 of 622
Okkie dokkie...I think I may 'go for it' and give it a try. At regular prices I probably wouldn't bother, but 8 + MC can be had pretty cheap right now, so I might as well go for it and see how it goes. cool.gif

I assume W8's installation is customizable like previous windows OSs....anyone know of a good source of info on options to optimize the install for HTPC use? Assassin got to W8 yet?
post #513 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekbrown View Post

Like I said I'm on a budget. I don't wanna buy 8 Pro upgrade and then have to go out and buy 7 upgrade also. eek.gif

I haven't tried WMC in Win8, but your comment made me want to point out that Microsoft apparently doesn't provide the software/drivers/codecs/whateverthey'recalled to play DVDs out of the box. So if that's not already in your budget, that might tip the scale in favor of Win7.

BTW, I much prefer WMC in Win7 over WMC in Vista. That alone was worth the price of the upgrade back then.
post #514 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

I haven't tried WMC in Win8, but your comment made me want to point out that Microsoft apparently doesn't provide the software/drivers/codecs/whateverthey'recalled to play DVDs out of the box. So if that's not already in your budget, that might tip the scale in favor of Win7.
BTW, I much prefer WMC in Win7 over WMC in Vista. That alone was worth the price of the upgrade back then.
This only affects Windows Media Player, any other player can play DVDs without any problem in Windows 8, and the Media Center upgrade is free until 2013.
post #515 of 622
So WMC can play DVDs out of the box? I'd missed that distinction.
post #516 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

So WMC can play DVDs out of the box? I'd missed that distinction.
Yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/03/making-windows-media-center-available-in-windows-8.aspx 
Windows 8 Pro is designed to help tech enthusiasts obtain a broader set of Windows 8 technologies. Acquiring either the Windows 8 Media Center Pack or the Windows 8 Pro Pack gives you Media Center, including DVD playback (in Media Center, not in Media Player), broadcast TV recording and playback (DBV-T/S, ISDB-S/T, DMBH, and ATSC), and VOB file playback.

Just be sure to claim your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack before the 31st of January 2013.
post #517 of 622
I have anyDVD HD and TMT that I usually use to play movies right now. I don't know, the tiles set up in windows 8 may actually work for me if I use multiple programs to watch different things on my HTPC. Can WMC operate at the front end for other apps? I mean, can I view all the media I have available (DVDs, BRs, MKVs, OTA HDTV, mp3s, netflix, amazone prime, hulu plus et all) in WMC and have it launch the app it needs to play said media when I select it (ie if I selected a bluray, it would launch TMT and play the BR automatically)??? Sorry for the newb questions...
post #518 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

So WMC can play DVDs out of the box? I'd missed that distinction.
That is correct. WMC needs an MPEG2 decoder for .TS video from tuners and for DVD playback. They also don't easily allow using any other MPEG2 decoder because WMC supports 'protected content' (record once) programming.
post #519 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Yep.
Just be sure to claim your free Windows 8 Media Center Pack before the 31st of January 2013.

I don't think you can just claim a WMC pack code before January 31. I think you have to redeem it by then or shortly thereafter. To prevent people from stocking up on codes without having an accompanying OS.

** Windows 8 Media Center Pack is available at no charge for a limited time only through this promotional page on Windows.com. If you obtain Windows 8 Media Center Pack through any other location fees might apply. Offer valid from October 26, 2012, until January 31, 2013, and is limited to one product key per email address. You qualify for this promotion if your PC is running Windows 8 Pro. Additional hardware may be required to watch and record live TV. You must provide a valid email address to receive your Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key. Your product key must be activated no later than January 31, 2013.

As for DVD playback, there are many ways to get DVD playback (many free too) without any Microsoft involvement. We've kind of been spoiled since there was a day when there were complaints from third parties that too much software was being included with Windows for free, essentially killing their software.
post #520 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

That is correct. WMC needs an MPEG2 decoder for .TS video from tuners and for DVD playback. They also don't easily allow using any other MPEG2 decoder because WMC supports 'protected content' (record once) programming.

Have used Mediaplayer classic Home Cinema in Win7 for years to play DVD, SDDVD, BR using supplied codecs.

Exception is HDDVD which requires an older version (7.3) of Power DVD although the latest edition of Arcsoft Total Media 5 does also.
My desktop has 2 optical drives, one is an LG dual format which plays HDDVD and BR the other reads and writes BR.

For those with an HDDVD collection get the Xbox DVD drive, external USB, which is HDDVD capable. Around $30 on Ebay.

AFAIK MPCHC and VLC work with Win8, but have not tested yet.
post #521 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Based on all of the comments, it seems like Win8 is optimized for a Tablet environment.
So, is anybody here using it as a tablet?
I'm pretty happy with my HTPC right now on Win7. But some of the new Tablets have caught my eye... Disappointed in the fact that the Surface-RT appears to be incapable of accessing/streaming my HTPC content. But a Surface is supposed to be on the way that will run Win8Pro. The 13" version of the Lenovo Yoga is already out and running Win8 Pro. I think that means I should be able to purchase/install WMC on it...
Anybody tried using a Win8 laptop/tablet as a "WMC Extender"? Any problems/complications?
A 13" convertible laptop/tablet, with HDMI out, that could access all of my WMC goodness, would be appealing to me... particularly if it could take control of one of my HTPC Ceton tuners for LiveTV.
Anybody have any experience with any Win8 tablets or convertibles?

Hey, I wanted to revisit a question I'd posed way back on Page 3, as I don't believe at the time anybody had any experience with it. I'm strongly considering, at this point, pulling the trigger on a 13" Yoga, in hopes that I can purchase the WMC add-on and have access to all my media. Anybody have any experience with Windows 8 as a "WMC Extender" that they could share? Can I grab a Live Tuner? What about Media Browser?

If anybody has any experience they could share, please do.
post #522 of 622
Works pretty much the same as Win 7. You get recordings and other media no problem. Live tuners require a little more work as described HERE.

WMC add-on is still free AFAIK. Just ask for a key and then call M$.
post #523 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuKinger View Post

Windows 8 as a "WMC Extender"
A Win 8 PC can't be used a fully functioning extender (same as all previous versions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Works pretty much the same as Win 7. You get recordings and other media no problem. Live tuners require a little more work as described HERE.
WMC add-on is still free AFAIK. Just ask for a key and then call M$.
Not quite the same. You are just allocating a tuner to the secondary machine. This still does not allow you to view protected recording on anything other than the machine that recorded it (or a true extender).
post #524 of 622
Personally, I can't wait to get Windows 8 on my 50" screen. Finally a better Pandora experience, weather and news, sports, and then get the big Steam game titles on the Start Screen. Needless to say, very excited.
post #525 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverSilent004 View Post

Personally, I can't wait to get Windows 8 on my 50" screen. Finally a better Pandora experience, weather and news, sports, and then get the big Steam game titles on the Start Screen. Needless to say, very excited.

try out pradio. it's a pretty good unofficial Pandora app (free) in the Windows Store.

for Steam, try out Steam Launcher which is free in the Windows Store:
tip from another user for the app: "the app asks for your id or profile, and you type in your username for steam, it won't work, you need to go to steamcommunity.com log in there, go to your profile page, and copy+paste all of the numbers from the URL to the app, and voila, beautiful icons on your Start Menu, great app"

for sports apps, the default Sports app is great. but also add the ESPN app (great app without outstanding notifications!) and the Sports Illustrated app.
post #526 of 622
Thread Starter 
Wanna hear another funny story?? smile.gif

So, the other day I checked out MSDN and realized Office 2013 is available now. Yipee!! or not.... I set a restore point on my main workstation and proceeded to install Office 2013. Mind you, this is an uber stable, quite fast system (i7 960 based with dual video cards, water cooled, running at 4.4GHz with 16 GB of RAM and Windows 7). It screams and rips literally anything I throw at it, to shreds. This is also my main workstation, so I do lots of video editing, software development, 3d modeling etc on it, so I keep it fully patched, defragged etc etc.

1. Set restore point
2. Install Office 2013.
3. Play with it.

Hmm...this has the whole "Metro" feel with flat border-less Windows and as usual lots of bloatware, i.e. social crap. If I need that, I'll go to crapbook..er..facebook, I don't need that in my enterprise email client. But oh well, let's give them the benefit of doubt. Overall, I had to tweak it a bit to "my" taste....(er, Microsoft, the blue color you have chosen to display new emails, email counts in etc, just doesn't go well on large displays. Take note).

4. Patch Windows again, as it suddenly needed to installed 36 more updates. And then another 14. (uh...50 updates as soon as the product is installed??)
5. Start using it daily.
6. Day 2 - Word crashed on opening a document. No clue why.
7. Day 2 - I thought maybe I was dumb and didn't install Office properly, so uninstalled it, rebooted and reinstalled it.
8. Immediate big banner in Outlook - Your Office is not registered and Outlook will lose most of its functionality in 10 days. Ah, I need to put the product key in again. No sweat.
9. Spent an hour looking for a place to put the product key in. Nada. Zip. Zero. Can't find it. And I'm supposed to be a techie. I suck.
10. An obscure post on Microsoft forums suggested repairing the install. Ok...I can do that...
11. If you run the repair install, it gives you an option to put a new product key in..... REALLY??? SERIOUSLY?? Somebody better get fired at Microsoft.... I grumbled, put my key in and went my merry way...or so I thought.
12. Day 3 - Outlook crashed on replying to a message with attachments. I thought I did something stupid...but nope, crashed every single time on that message.
13. Then it crashed again on another message with NO attachments. Uhhh....
14. While this was going on.....something kept nagging me that my system has been feeling slow ever since.....take a wild guess. I checked everything thrice, even reverted the overclock to stock, defragged three times, checked every single startup service/registry key...you name it. Nope, everything is as it should be, other than......take a wild guess.
15. Uninstalled Office 2013.
16. Hmm....system is snappy again! weird.
17. Reinstalled Office 2013 - System back to sluggishness.
18. Uninstalled Office 2103, reinstalled Office 2010 and screamed some choice cuss words at Microsoft.
19. Opened some good 18 yr old scotch to drown my sorrows.

Microsoft - Get a grip.
post #527 of 622
how is this a Windows 8 post? it'd make more sense to blame Windows 7 since that's the logic a lot of people are using when citing program malfunction due to Windows 8. i was reading a forum thread the other day and he was blaming Windows 8 because he could web browse in Chrome but he couldn't check his Yahoo or Gmail emails in Chrome and that it must be Windows 8's fault.
post #528 of 622
onlysublime, I had a situation yesterday where I was trying to download docs from a company's website. It wouldn't work in either Chrome or IE, so I called their support line. They asked what OS I was using, and when I said Win8 they said they didn't support it. I was skeptical, but I fired up a Win7 machine and tried again. I don't remember whether I opened Chrome or IE on the Win7 machine, but I did get further on Win7. Rather than try the other browser I called up someone else in the company (not tech support) and asked for the 6 documents to be emailed to me.

The point is, apparently the OS does affect how browsers work on some sites. (BTW, I'm assuming the latest version of IE on Win7 and Win8 is the same, but I don't really track that since IE isn't my primary browser.)
post #529 of 622
More on topic, Bluestacks seems to be making some inroads in allowing Android apps to run on PCs. It's basically Metro for Android.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/07/bluestacks-lenovo-android-apps/

I can hardly wait for the DOJ to say that having Metro installed in Win8 is unfair, like they did back in the day with early versions of IE.
post #530 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

onlysublime, I had a situation yesterday where I was trying to download docs from a company's website. It wouldn't work in either Chrome or IE, so I called their support line. They asked what OS I was using, and when I said Win8 they said they didn't support it. I was skeptical, but I fired up a Win7 machine and tried again. I don't remember whether I opened Chrome or IE on the Win7 machine, but I did get further on Win7. Rather than try the other browser I called up someone else in the company (not tech support) and asked for the 6 documents to be emailed to me.

The point is, apparently the OS does affect how browsers work on some sites. (BTW, I'm assuming the latest version of IE on Win7 and Win8 is the same, but I don't really track that since IE isn't my primary browser.)

I don't know anybody that wasn't able to check their Gmail or Yahoo mail because of Windows 8. You know all the tech blogs would jump on that in a heartbeat if that was the case.

As for "we don't support that", that is a very common line used by many people which usually means we didn't try it out yet (or we did and we won't admit that our product doesn't work yet).
post #531 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

The point is, apparently the OS does affect how browsers work on some sites. (BTW, I'm assuming the latest version of IE on Win7 and Win8 is the same, but I don't really track that since IE isn't my primary browser.)
OS version does not affect how sites are displayed/working but browser version can affect it. The latest IE version for Win 7 is IE9 (via Windows Update) unless you manually download the IE10 Beta. Win8 includes IE10
post #532 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

As for "we don't support that", that is a very common line used by many people which usually means we didn't try it out yet (or we did and we won't admit that our product doesn't work yet).

Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why I said I was skeptical when they said it.

I wish I'd remembered whether I'd used IE or Chrome with Win7. I'd lost my patience by then, so I didn't try both on the second machine.
post #533 of 622
Here's a Win8 question. I just noted that Control Panel has a "Flash" icon, but when I go to installed programs, Flash does not seem to show up. What am I missing?
post #534 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Here's a Win8 question. I just noted that Control Panel has a "Flash" icon, but when I go to installed programs, Flash does not seem to show up. What am I missing?

Flash is integrated into IE10 so there is no entry for it in installed programs.
post #535 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Flash is integrated into IE10 so there is no entry for it in installed programs.

Thanks. That sucks because I'd rather not have Flash installed at all, and just use Chrome for Flash content. At least any updates should be better/easier to install if Microsoft is behind them.
post #536 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyk View Post

Thanks. That sucks because I'd rather not have Flash installed at all, and just use Chrome for Flash content. At least any updates should be better/easier to install if Microsoft is behind them.

Do you think chrome handles this a lot differently? Check out chrome://plugins, flash is usually the first entry
post #537 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Do you think chrome handles this a lot differently? Check out chrome://plugins, flash is usually the first entry

I'm fully aware of how Chrome handles Flash. I trust Google's implementation of flash more than Adobe's, which is why I prefer to not have Flash installed at all, other than the Chrome plugin. On the Acrobat front, I've found Adobe's Chrome plugin for Acrobat doesn't work with a number of sites, but the Google implementation has worked flawlessly for me. But mainly it's security issues I'm concerned about with Adobe products. The less Flash the better, IMHO.

Since I've just heard Flash is built into IE 10, I don't know much about the implementation of it in IE. I would probably trust Microsoft's implementation more than Adobe's too, because I don't trust Adobe at all, but if I could just have Flash work in one program, that would be better.

I guess this might be good if I read of a Flash problem with one but not the other, although getting by without Flash at all wouldn't affect me much.
post #538 of 622
Well I guess it's official I'm an 8 user as of Friday when my laptop showed up. I scored an inspiron 17R i3 gen 3 for free thanks to moms total rewards accumulation. It was supposed to be a gen 2 with windows 7 but I guess they dc'd those units so they sent this one instead which is just fine with me. My plan was to use it as a mobile guitar studio and wasn't sure about my existing guitar programs working in W8. Suffice to say and my paranoia about this new OS working with my guitar progs was pretty painless. Guitar Pro 6 loaded with no issues and is working, along with Guitar Rig 5 and Rocksmith. Some reports of RS not working well with 8 got me a little nervous but in my case it works and actually plays better on this lappy compared to my PC. I also got Amplitube working with no issues either. The only drawback is this version of W8 is not the pro version so no MCE add on. I even tried to do the upgrade but the assistant gave me some crap about the wrong country so I can't even dl the pro version. But it's really no big deal because I accomplished what I set out to do and never really used MCE anyway. All my guitar progs are working great and most important is RS running smooth with no lag issues what so ever. As for the OS well it's growing on me as of day two, but still struggling with the two headed monster when navigating. I still don't really understand Metro in a PC ecosystem they should have kept the two separate and called it Metro 8 for tablets and phones, and Windows 8 for laptops and PC's just my two cents...
post #539 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I still don't really understand Metro in a PC ecosystem they should have kept the two separate and called it Metro 8 for tablets and phones, and Windows 8 for laptops and PC's just my two cents...

Because everything is merging. Tablets becomes laptops and desktops becomes tablets.

The new UI is created for this. It works with all input devices. Something the old UI didn't.
post #540 of 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Because everything is merging. Tablets becomes laptops and desktops becomes tablets.

The new UI is created for this. It works with all input devices. Something the old UI didn't.

Merger is correct, and people want to run their programs on any device they own. I'm still looking for a Metro weather app which works as well as the Android app I use on my Nexus tablet. Alternatively, I'd like to run Android apps on my Windows 8 machine, but apparently Bluestacks is not compatible with Bitdefender. Bluestacks is essentially the same Microsoft's Metro, but with different apps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 - my verdict.