or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Sony 4K 35mm PMW-F5 and F55
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony 4K 35mm PMW-F5 and F55 - Page 2

post #31 of 50
What people tend to forget (or may be unaware of) is that 4K will also bring with it a much improved color palette. Rec709 has been very restrictive in terms of the colors that some displays 'could' produce and what Rec709 allows them to produce. As we eventually move to a new standard, our new displays will be 'allowed' to show a greater differentiation of colors as well as a greater color saturation.

So with 4K, we'll get improvements not only in detail, but also in color. Anyone who's really critical about video can see the difference between colors your eyes see and what our current displays produce. Of course our 4K acquisition devices will also need to step up to the plate and provide this greater color palette.

I'm looking forward to it. smile.gif
post #32 of 50
"XAVC can record 4K resolution at 60 fps with 4:2:2 chroma subsampling at 600 Mbit/s.[7][8] A 128 Gigabyte SxS PRO+ media card can record up to 20 minutes of 4K resolution XAVC video at 60 fps, up to 40 minutes of 4K resolution XAVC video at 30 fps, and up to 120 minutes of 2K resolution XAVC video at 30 fps."

Whoa where are the 1 terabyte SxS PRO+ media cards?
post #33 of 50
Yup. We're going to need HUGE cards or even better compression schemes to hold and record all this data or we'll be swapping out cards every few minutes!
post #34 of 50
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yup. We're going to need HUGE cards or even better compression schemes to hold and record all this data or we'll be swapping out cards every few minutes!

Sony AXSM 512GB card!

post #36 of 50
B&H shows the Sony 512GB SRMemory Card for $5,699.95 & $35.70 shipping ! I guess I will get a few along with a 4K camera with 4K display if I win the Mega Millions lottery.rolleyes.gif
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Along with the splashy announcement of the new F5 and F55 CineAlta 4K cameras came word of forthcoming firmware upgrades for Sony's flagship F65, including new signal formats to take advantage of its unique 8K x 2K sensor.

First up, and due before the end of the year, is a v2.2 update to remote-control capabilities that will improve the camera's functionality in live situations, such as sports coverage.

Next spring, we should see version 3.0 demonstrated at NAB. The F65 currently generates a 4K x 2K RGB signal from its sensor, but this upgrade will enable 8K x 4K, 6K x 3K, and 8K x 2K.

At a press briefing earlier this month, Sony Electronics Director of Marketing and Product Management Taturo Kurachi nodded toward new anamorphic glass from Zeiss as an example of an application for an 8K x 2K image. "With the glass technology Zeiss puts together, they will appreciate that someone is creating something like 8K x 2K RGB from an 8K-sensor camera," he said. "This anamorphic experience is not stretching or diluting information. It's really taking full advantage of the 8K sensor in the F65."

Version 3.0 firmware will be a paid update. Sony has not yet said how much it will cost.
Shoot 8K on the Sony F65 with a Future Firmware Update !
http://www.studiodaily.com/2012/10/sony-details-f65-roadmap-heading-into-2013/



Shoot 8K on the Sony F65 with a Future Firmware Update, Plus More Details on Sony's XAVC Codec
http://nofilmschool.com/2012/11/shooting-8k-f65-firmware-update-sony-xavc-codec/



Sony F65 vs full frame 35mm (click images for larger view)
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

B&H shows the Sony 512GB SRMemory Card for $5,699.95 & $35.70 shipping ! I guess I will get a few along with a 4K camera with 4K display if I win the Mega Millions lottery.rolleyes.gif

I believe they have a sale, with 2 you get free shipping. biggrin.gif
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

B&H shows the Sony 512GB SRMemory Card for $5,699.95 & $35.70 shipping ! I guess I will get a few along with a 4K camera with 4K display if I win the Mega Millions lottery.rolleyes.gif

Wow eek.gif & I thought RED's 512GB was expensive. Sony's ASXM is no option @ all
post #40 of 50
Sony is like a magic show. tongue.gif
They have a camera (F65) with a 20 megapixel sensor, claim it is 8K when normally 8K equals minimum 33 megapixel, and now they are going (by magic) to make that 20 megapixel sensor capable of shooting "real" 8K. eek.gif

Some real magical pixelshifting/up-conversion they are going to use I guess.
At the moment they are not even using more than 17.6 megapixel portion of the sensor to record because of the 45 degree tilt of the Bayer pattern. So that will be an even steeper climb towards real 8K imagery. rolleyes.gif

Trust Sony to hype some specs with clever marketing words that have little basis in real facts and dilute the real 8K imagery standards, just to be able to claim "we are best" or "we are first".
What will they call their cameras in the future when they have real 8K sensors?............8.5K of course.

The sad thing is that people in the movie industry and tech bloggers fall for it.

Wonder how long these cameras will be in the market if it is proven that they are really running on some re-engineered Redcode Raw as Red claims? http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343675
post #41 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Sony is like a magic show. tongue.gif
They have a camera (F65) with a 20 megapixel sensor, claim it is 8K when normally 8K equals minimum 33 megapixel, and now they are going (by magic) to make that 20 megapixel sensor capable of shooting "real" 8K. eek.gif

Some real magical pixelshifting/up-conversion they are going to use I guess.
At the moment they are not even using more than 17.6 megapixel portion of the sensor to record because of the 45 degree tilt of the Bayer pattern. So that will be an even steeper climb towards real 8K imagery. rolleyes.gif

Trust Sony to hype some specs with clever marketing words that have little basis in real facts and dilute the real 8K imagery standards, just to be able to claim "we are best" or "we are first".
What will they call their cameras in the future when they have real 8K sensors?............8.5K of course.

The sad thing is that people in the movie industry and tech bloggers fall for it.

Wonder how long these cameras will be in the market if it is proven that they are really running on some re-engineered Redcode Raw as Red claims? http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/343675

I don't mind them hyping up a product if that is the case. It's better imho than being told my item would ship on a certain date and never happening biggrin.gif
post #42 of 50
Red vs Sony :

"It was expected that RED’s one and only JJ would speak out about that Sony patent court case, and boy did he deliver. Nothing to do here but take it all in."

Read more: http://cinescopophilia.com/you-know-big-red-jj-spoke-out-about-that-sony-patent-lawsuit.
Quote:
We are a very small company... we are spending our money right now on development. In case you haven't noticed, we sell the best camera in the smallest package for the least amount of money. We give our "show" money to our customers.

Jim
Red User


I will stick with my full frame VG900 that shoots 1080p60 or 1080p24 with uncompressed HDMI output.wink.gif

My VG900 with 24mm F1.4 Rokinon ( Pentax mount) with PK-NEX adapter for extra wide 84° FOV :

Edited by jogiba - 2/27/13 at 10:03am
post #43 of 50
Anyone know of any XAVC samples to download anywhere?
post #44 of 50
Sony PMW F55 first hands on review :



post #45 of 50
Good find, but a vacuous "review".
post #46 of 50
these cameras looks like Alexa smile.gif hehe gotta love Sony
post #47 of 50
Sony F55 & Canon 1DC - 4K side by side , download the original .MOV file (4096x2160 / 1GB)

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=16907

http://vimeo.com/61293250
post #48 of 50
Surely expensive 4k cams/cameras should be able to give as good a color as the shown corrected footage strait from the cameras.
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

Surely expensive 4k cams/cameras should be able to give as good a color as the shown corrected footage strait from the cameras.
By design, Sony’s 16-bit recording captures more tonal values than the human eye can differentiate. Sony RAW retains 16 times as many Red, Green and Blue gradations as 12-bit RAW and 64 times as many tones per channel as 10-bit recording. Sony 16-bit linear RAW is also the ideal point of entry into the 16-bit linear Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) workflow.
post #50 of 50
Update on the Sony vs Red patent suit :
Quote:
Sony Comments re Patent Suit Filed Against Red Digital Cinema

On April 5, 2013, Sony Corporation ("Sony") sued Red Digital Cinema ("Red") for infringing 7 of Sony's patents in the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Sony believes that the Red ONE, EPIC and SCARLET cameras, various digital still and motion camera modules, and various accessories such as the REDMOTE infringe our patents. Sony is seeking both money damages and an injunction to stop the continued sale of Red's infringing products. Sony makes significant investments into the research & development of technology related to the cinema camera industry and intends to protect those investments against companies that infringe our patents.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/show-highend/
Quote:
Seems like someone is nervous... it just isn't me.

Jim
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?97758-Sony-s-lawsuits-against-RED&p=1179760#post1179760

http://www.forbes.com/profile/james-jannard/
Edited by jogiba - 4/7/13 at 6:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › Sony 4K 35mm PMW-F5 and F55