or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Disney buys Lucasfilm!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disney buys Lucasfilm! - Page 6

post #151 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Maybe I've become my dad eek.gif
Say it ain't true!biggrin.gif

Long ago I made a deliberate, conscious decision to never grow up.
Of course, there ARE trade offs to that.wink.gif
post #152 of 476
I guarantee you the next trilogy will be infinite x better than Ep 1-3. As long as Lucas is not involved, it will be good for everyone. Greedy, lazy, arrogant SOB bastard.

Following yesterday's report that claimed Michael Arndt had provided an extensive treatment for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, comes official word not only of Arndt's involvement, but of the fact that he will be providing the full screenplay for the highly anticipated 2015 release.

Arndt, who also wrote Little Miss Sunshine (winning him an Academy Award) and the upcoming Oblivion and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, is a noted fan of George Lucas's seminal film series and has publicly lectured about their merits.

Still not confirmed, however, is the rumor that Arndt's treatment includes the characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo. That being said, recent news suggests that, if the rumor does pan out, it's very likely that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will return to their respective roles.

Edited by zoey67 - 11/10/12 at 12:16pm
post #153 of 476
Anyone want to make recommendations on Directors go forward?

How about...
PJ
Rodriquez
Lynch
Speilberg
Tarantino
Burton
RS
Nolan
post #154 of 476
Thread Starter 
Brad Bird could do something good I think.
post #155 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Brad Bird could do something good I think.
Whedon might be a good choice too.
post #156 of 476
Cuarón as well.

As far as Lynch, as I recall he was considered for Return of the Jedi... but was wisely eliminated.

And there's del Toro too... but given he's a genius and one of the greatest fantasy auteurs since George Pal, he'd probably be wrong for Star Wars. But maybe not.
post #157 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Cuarón as well.
As far as Lynch, as I recall he was considered for Return of the Jedi... but was wisely eliminated.
And there's del Toro too... but given he's a genius and one of the greatest fantasy auteurs since George Pal, he'd probably be wrong for Star Wars. But maybe not.
Cuaron and del Toro are both excellent candidates.

Whoever it is, he MUST be someone established with an appropriate resume AND someone who gets GL's blessing.
Otherwise, it would end up as a PR clusterf_ck for Disney.wink.gif

BTW, I wasn't quite awake this morning when I made the list, so I probably missed quite a few....tongue.gif
post #158 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

BTW, I wasn't quite awake this morning when I made the list, so I probably missed quite a few....tongue.gif

But do you really want your next Star Wars directed by David Lynch or Quantin Tarantino? Django Unchained looks great though wink.gif
post #159 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

But do you really want your next Star Wars directed by David Lynch or Quantin Tarantino? Django Unchained looks great though wink.gif

Ok, my official answer is no. But c'mon, you have to admit that a Tarantino directed SW would be a trip!

I'd be curious to see what Columbus would do with it.
post #160 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

But do you really want your next Star Wars directed by David Lynch or Quantin Tarantino? Django Unchained looks great though wink.gif
Lynch would be great for a concluding story of the 3 major characters...culminating in the death or transformation of Han, Leia, and Luke.
He would be perfect to give it a weird, mystical vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Ok, my official answer is no. But c'mon, you have to admit that a Tarantino directed SW would be a trip!
I'd be curious to see what Columbus would do with it.
And QT would be great for the story involving the children/grandchildren of Leia or Luke when he/she finds their Jedi powers and starts to kick major a$$ across the galaxy.
post #161 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

But do you really want your next Star Wars directed by David Lynch or Quantin Tarantino? Django Unchained looks great though wink.gif
Lynch would be great for the concluding episode of the 3 major characters...culminating in the death or transformation of Han, Leia, and Luke.
He would be perfect to give it a weird, mystical vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Ok, my official answer is no. But c'mon, you have to admit that a Tarantino directed SW would be a trip!
I'd be curious to see what Columbus would do with it.
And QT would be great for the obligatory episode involving the children/grandchildren of Leia or Luke when he/she finds their Jedi powers and starts to kick major a$$ across the galaxy.
post #162 of 476
QT might be able to work something interesting with a dedicated Boba Fett movie. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it not be him but just having fun with the conversation.
post #163 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it not be him but just having fun with the conversation.
I am sure ALL of us would prefer him to Michael Bay...biggrin.gif
post #164 of 476
Eastwood would be my choice. The Rebels fighting the evil empire's ultimate weapon...the death chair.
post #165 of 476
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I am sure ALL of us would prefer him to Michael Bay...biggrin.gif

Transformers is more entertaining than any of the prequels



*cough*



*running for cover ... again!*

tongue.gif
post #166 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Eastwood would be my choice. The Rebels fighting the evil empire's ultimate weapon...the death chair.
You are too witty, sir.wink.gifbiggrin.gif

BTW, have you noticed my new sig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Transformers is more entertaining than any of the prequels
*cough*
*running for cover ... again!*
tongue.gif
What did I tell you about imbibing before 5pm?tongue.gif
post #167 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Anyone want to make recommendations on Directors go forward?
How about...
PJ
Rodriquez
Lynch
Speilberg
Tarantino
Burton
RS
Nolan

The problem is that Disney exerts extreme control over all their properties, of which Star Wars is now a part, and the more creatively "out there" directors probably wouldn't tolerate the micromanaging that Disney is known for. Maybe ones that worked for Disney in the past may take the opportunity, but the ones who operate more or less independently I don't really see taking the job, or being offered the job. I could be wrong, but that's the sense I get given Disney's MO.

Now sometimes that oversight bears fruit. Not a movie, but a good illustration nonetheless, when the Lion King musical had Julie Taymor's avant-garde sensibilities expressed to give a wonderful spectacle, Disney still held the reigns to make sure the story kept on track (and if you see the mess the Spider-man musical became when Taymor was unchecked, there is merit to that approach.) But for an experienced, successful director to take the Disney Star Wars mantle up, I think they'd either have to have prior firsthand Disney experience, or be so in love with the material that they'd be willing to operate under Disney control.
post #168 of 476
As far as we know, Disney hasn't tried to squash Pixar or Marvel.
With that in mind, I would be very surprised if they tried to hammer the SW properties.
They are fully aware of what the fan-base is all about (I hope).

They just spent 4 billion bucks and that ain't chump change.wink.gif
post #169 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

As far as we know, Disney hasn't tried to squash Pixar or Marvel.

I don't think they squashed them at all, but at the same time I'm sure they have quite a bit of say going into the content. Certainly more than a typical director would encounter at a typical studio/production company. Pixar and Marvel make some good films, but the culture there is more of a team oriented approach rather than a director-centric approach. I expect the SW movies to operate no differently.

And again, the oversight isn't necessarily a bad thing, as we know director excess has ruined a lot (I'm looking at you Michael Cimino.) But some directors would chafe under their reigns. I think some of the directors mentioned would be extreme longshots at best and that Disney is likely going to go with someone they've worked with before (maybe from Marvel or Pixar) or someone who isn't so much an auteur but more of a team leader.
Edited by Tulpa - 11/12/12 at 3:14pm
post #170 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I think some of the directors mentioned would be extreme longshots at best and that Disney is likely going to go with someone they've worked with before (maybe from Marvel or Pixar) or someone who isn't so much an auteur but more of a team leader.
Certainly it would be very bold of them to do something else.wink.gif
post #171 of 476
Bold is not really within the Disney wheelhouse. Unless you're talking about their carbon-copy heroes/heroines. tongue.gif
post #172 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Bold is not really within the Disney wheelhouse. Unless you're talking about their carbon-copy heroes/heroines. tongue.gif
Now that's just MEAN.biggrin.gif
post #173 of 476
I think they would breathe new life into lucasfilm that lucas himself couldn't be bothered to.
post #174 of 476
Gotta be either McG or Brett Ratner...rolleyes.gif Seriously, I think Brad Bird is my top choice at the moment. Whedon would be great, but with Avengers 2 also scheduled for 2015 he wouldn't be available for Ep. VII, but maybe VIII or IX. I would be pleasantly surprised if Del Toro or Peter Jackson showed some interest. I think it's safe to say that a pretty large percentage of directors under the age of say 45 were highly influence by the original trilogy, so there are a lot of potential choices out there.
post #175 of 476
Rumor has it, they're down to two names. Joe Johnston and Colin Trevorrow are looking like potential candidates.
post #176 of 476
I'm not familiar with Colin Trevorrow, but Joe Johnston would be a good choice, considering his history with the original trilogy.
post #177 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Rumor has it, they're down to two names. Joe Johnston and Colin Trevorrow are looking like potential candidates.
Colin Trevorrow?eek.gif
A guy who made a little indie film?rolleyes.gif
I think his PR guy has been working overtime...

Johnston would be a good choice.
He has ALOT of experience making big budget spectacles.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002653/
post #178 of 476
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Colin Trevorrow?eek.gif
A guy who made a little indie film?rolleyes.gif
I think his PR guy has been working overtime...

Safety Not Guaranteed was pretty awesome!

post #179 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Colin Trevorrow?eek.gif
A guy who made a little indie film?rolleyes.gif
I think his PR guy has been working overtime...
.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002653/


Do you remember your reaction when Joss was announced as the director of The Avengers? smile.gif
post #180 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Do you remember your reaction when Joss was announced as the director of The Avengers? smile.gif

I hope Star Wars Ep VII is alot better then The Avengers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Disney buys Lucasfilm!