or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 Pro with Media Center pack supposedly supports blu-ray playback - BUSTED
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center pack supposedly supports blu-ray playback - BUSTED

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
So this was mentioned in another thread, but it seems like an important enough feature to deserve its own thread. This could potentially be a huge feature, although I'm highly suspicious. A couple of respected sources claim that the Media Center pack for Windows 8 pro supports blu-ray playback, see here and here. I'm guessing that means it supports all the necessary codecs. I'd be shocked if it actually supports blu-ray menus. Does anyone have the Media Center pack yet? Can you test this? Does it work in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center?

Edit: Various AVS members (including myself) have found that blu-rays do NOT work in Windows 8. These reports were wrong.
Edited by lockdown571 - 11/3/12 at 9:01am
post #2 of 36
Yes, and does it play the actual disc, not just a ripped copy like XMBC.
post #3 of 36
Does it change refresh rate as well or play it at the desktop setting. Like you say Lockdown, this could be a huge feature, if it is in fact true.
post #4 of 36
I was not under the impression that Blu ray was supported in W8 unless they are just talking about unencrypted Blu ray. I can try and test this weekend if no one else has confirmed
post #5 of 36
I find this highly unlikely but if it's true, it completely changes my opinion on whether or not Win8 is a worthy upgrade for HTPCs.
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I was not under the impression that Blu ray was supported in W8 unless they are just talking about unencrypted Blu ray. I can try and test this weekend if no one else has confirmed

Please do Damian - would really appreciate it. As unlikely as it appears, its equally remote to think that they have added support for unencrypted blu-ray playback (MS encouraging privacy - who would have believed it, or perhaps a girfuy to Sony and the blu-ray consortium smile.gif)
post #7 of 36
I will upgrade in 10 minutes if true
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I was not under the impression that Blu ray was supported in W8 unless they are just talking about unencrypted Blu ray.

With Windows 8 Pro MC displays the disc cover (accurately) for my Blu-ray disc (in an external drive). However when I click on play it displays... To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc..

Now this is with a very old Mac Mini (non HDMI) if that makes any difference of which I'm guessing it doesn't... although MC error messages are misleading quite often!
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

With Windows 8 Pro MC displays the disc cover (accurately) for my Blu-ray disc (in an external drive). However when I click on play it displays... To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc..
Now this is with a very old Mac Mini (non HDMI) if that makes any difference of which I'm guessing it doesn't... although MC error messages are misleading quite often!

I would guess you are right. I can't see Blu ray playback being added to W8 since essentially MS is slowly killing off WMC. I should be able to test tonight or tomorrow morning now that I have internet back
post #10 of 36
Thread Starter 
I was planning on doing it anyway, so I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (pretty painless!). I'm still waiting for the receive my MC pack key, but I will test it then. I'm not too optimistic, but it's worth a try.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I would guess you are right. I can't see Blu ray playback being added to W8 since essentially MS is slowly killing off WMC. I should be able to test tonight or tomorrow morning now that I have internet back

Hope you weren't too affected by 'Sandy'
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I would guess you are right. I can't see Blu ray playback being added to W8 since essentially MS is slowly killing off WMC.

The funny thing is it nails the cover art... displays the correct Blu-ray jacket (with Blu-ray logo) for every movie I have inserted... you'd think that would be much harder than playing the silly movie. smile.gif
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I was planning on doing it anyway, so I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (pretty painless!). I'm still waiting for the receive my MC pack key, but I will test it then. I'm not too optimistic, but it's worth a try.

It takes about 24-48 hours to get the key for MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Hope you weren't too affected by 'Sandy'

I can't complain, lost some of my fence but had power the whole time. Many others didn't fare as well, and quite a few are still without power. Now the big fight is over gas...
post #14 of 36
I can confirm the same results attempting to play from folder.



I say this myth is Busted.
post #15 of 36
same message for me
post #16 of 36
What if AnyDVD HD is installed to decrypt the disk?
post #17 of 36
I tested folders. Encryption was already removed. I am able to play the m2ts file directly but no HD audio. Basically, it works the same as 7MC
post #18 of 36
I saw that in a few articles, but always assumed it was a typo.
post #19 of 36
There's no way on earth MS would have added native blu-ray playback on 8. That would mean extra development and licensing costs, and this is from the company that sided with Toshiba in the HD-DVD vs BR days, and still didn't incorporate native playback of this in 7 at the time, even though they launched an Xbox360 HD-DVD drive (which did work on the PC, I've got one!). 8 functions in exactly the same way as 7 regarding HD playback, it needs an external application to be registered to allow this.
post #20 of 36
The whole media thing is utterly retarded in Win 8. Still no .mkv thumbnailing, still no .flac support, still no flexible player to even match VLC, still no support for Quicksync decoding in addition to DXVA 2. Native BD and DVD should be included free. Its not 1995 anymore, people use their PC's for a lot more than typing up something. Its a tablet OS, and tablet's are perfect for portable porn, and codec/container supporter is STILL crippled. Completely retarded.
post #21 of 36
Sounds like the same story as win7. reviewers assume avchd, or m2ts, support as blu ray supported.
post #22 of 36
I just tried it with AnyDVD HD enabled. It scanned the disc then nothing happened. No error, but no play either. I then surfed to a stream and opened it in Media Player and got nothing.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I can confirm the same results attempting to play from folder.

I say this myth is Busted.

bummer dude
post #24 of 36
Thread Starter 
Yep, definitely doesn't work. I couldn't even open an m2ts file within a blu-ray in Windows Media Player. I have no idea why various websites are reporting this.

Edit: Nm, I did get m2ts files to play (I think I had selected the wrong m2ts files earlier). I certainly wouldn't call codec support the same thing as blu-ray support though.
Edited by lockdown571 - 11/3/12 at 2:19pm
post #25 of 36
I didn't test before installing Media Center, but I'm able to play an m2ts file (decrypted of course) in Media Player. The downside is that it will not play the HD audio tracks, it skips them and plays the first non-HD track which is usually an alternate language.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

I didn't test before installing Media Center, but I'm able to play an m2ts file (decrypted of course) in Media Player. The downside is that it will not play the HD audio tracks, it skips them and plays the first non-HD track which is usually an alternate language.
That's the same behaviour as Win7. Again there are no changes (read new features) in WMP or WMC. All you get is potential new bugs or regressions.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

That's the same behaviour as Win7.
That's what I said earlier.
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

That's the same behaviour as Win7. Again there are no changes (read new features) in WMP or WMC. All you get is potential new bugs or regressions.

That is what we were proving. Some websites are reporting support for BluRay in WMC. We were proving it is not there.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

That is what we were proving. Some websites are reporting support for BluRay in WMC. We were proving it is not there.

Sadly...those "some" websites are neither completely impartial nor (not) swayed by monetary benefits...
post #30 of 36
This is a little off topic, but has anyone requested more than one media center key? I've gotten 3, and all are identical. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 8 Pro with Media Center pack supposedly supports blu-ray playback - BUSTED