or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again -... - Page 5

post #121 of 983
smile.gif
Edited by vikgrao - 11/19/12 at 6:03pm
post #122 of 983
Vikgrao.. Looks like your theater is off to a great start. Big will do a great job for you. I also live in Columbus and completed my theater a couple of years ago. I have a construction thread but it has been pretty dead for awhile. I would love to check your progress sometime, just shoot me PM. Keep up the great work.
Edited by MatthewH - 11/18/12 at 4:14am
post #123 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH View Post

Vikgrao.. Looks like your theater is off to a great start. Big will do a great job for you. I also live in Columbus and completed my theater a couple of years ago. I have a construction thread but it has been pretty dead for awhile. I would love to check your progress sometime, just shoot me PM. Keep up the great work.

Matt,
Thanks! I saw your thread and your theater is fantastic, especially the space. I also love how you teamed up with your dad to finish it up. I will send you a PM.
Vik
post #124 of 983
Thread Starter 
Work has continued since my return on the Wiring, Riser, Soffits and some significant re-planning.

On the wiring the previous contractor put in conduits, good, He left them hanging inside the walls with just a pull wire poking through the triple thick walls, not so good. So some surgery was required to open the holes to fit the balanced line connectors and speaker wires. Then there was this surprise. After opening the wall the pull wire was locked in place. Then I fished around and found a few alternatives.

DSCN0234.jpg

On the planning Vik wasn't real happy with the column locations and the fact that the side surrounds were ahead of the seating positions. Probably as a result of the door location and the assumption the door would swing in, banging on a column. Since the swing was changed we kicked around some ideas then got Shawn on the speaker phone and talked about our concept. We got his blessing so we are set to relocate the side columns and make them a bit skinnier.

You can see the before and after in these pics

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

On to the soffits. In a theater like this you can't just bang up some square soffits so we kicked around a number of ideas and settled on a plan with many curves.

Starting at the front I proposed two alternatives

DSCN0276.jpg

A lot of guys round theire soffit over the screen out, Vik said take it in complementing the feel of the stage.

Screwed and glued up some blocking for a 5 1/4 inch tall soffit. the top and bottom boards match the curve the middle is just spacing with a place to run wires. The blue tape is where the lights will go.

DSCN0245.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

Vik said the soffit needs to be strong because he intends to shake the house. I said I would build it strong enough to park a truck on it. Vik said is that thing going to come crashiing down on my head? so a little demonstration was in order.

DSCN0236.jpg

4 inch construction screws into the channels.

DSCN0254.jpg

The face is three layers of 1/4 inch hardboard glued together in place.

DSCN0262.jpg
Edited by BIGmouthinDC - 11/18/12 at 7:31pm
post #125 of 983
looking good ..... the curve going the opposite way then what we normally is very cool.... what is the soffit design going to look like?
post #126 of 983
Thread Starter 
You'll have to wait and tune in tomorrow for the next installment
post #127 of 983
I was not sure if Clips and hat Channel with 3 layers of drywall with Green Glue could take further weight and Big proved they could. I was amazed to see a couple more hundred pounds of pull created by Big hanging on the soffits did not do anything much to the ceiling. Could not be more happier!
Edited by vikgrao - 11/18/12 at 7:51pm
post #128 of 983
Eagerly awaiting the soffit pics. I must have missed it, but whats the ceiling height?
post #129 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post

Eagerly awaiting the soffit pics. I must have missed it, but whats the ceiling height?

The original Ceiling height was between 8-1/2 to 9 feet high across the room. Since i went overboard on the decoupling and soundproofing ( conscious decision rolleyes.gif ) and left a big air gap and then constructed room in room with new ceiling joists with channel on clips and 3 layers DW with GG inbetween, the final height across came to 7ft =6 1/2 inches in the front and 7ft 4 inches in the back eek.gif !!

The good thing is i dont hear a damn thing in the rooms above and no rattlling or vibration. Previously things use to fall off the shelves when i used to fire the Gotham.
post #130 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

The original Ceiling height was between 8-1/2 to 9 feet high across the room. Since i went overboard on the decoupling and soundproofing ( conscious decision rolleyes.gif ) and left a big air gap and then constructed room in room with new ceiling joists with channel on clips and 3 layers DW with GG inbetween, the final height across came to 7ft =6 1/2 inches in the front and 7ft 4 inches in the back eek.gif !!
The good thing is i dont hear a damn thing in the rooms above and no rattlling or vibration. Previously things use to fall off the shelves when i used to fire the Gotham.

wow you went from almost 9ft ceilings down to 7 1/2 ... i don't think i could have done that .... but it will be nice to watch a movie fully cranked and not disturb the Mrs upstairs ....

my ceiling was 8ft so i ended up doing two layers of 5/8 drywall between the joist and then another two layers of 5/8 and the GG between everything also insulated between the joist i can't any more foot fall like i used to and the wife says the only time she hears the power tools is from the stair well going up ... later i will change the basement door to a solid core door and sound proof sweep.

your theater is looking great .... Jeff is awesome at what does he has been a wealth of information.
post #131 of 983
It'll be interesting to see what you do with the soffits. I have a 7.5' ceiling and would love to do them but not sure how to make them work nicely
post #132 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

DSCN0092.jpg
So how many cubic feet are in each of those bags of sand? I think I read somewhere that 2 bags = 1 cuft. Is that correct?
post #133 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

So how many cubic feet are in each of those bags of sand? I think I read somewhere that 2 bags = 1 cuft. Is that correct?

yep .5 per bag
post #134 of 983
It has become a habit of mine to do the evil laugh whenever I see a new builder at the stage where they have to "pound sand"

Muahahahahahahahahaha




Ok that is out of the way... excellent job! I like the different soffit curve for your theater, but I was surprised to see that you did it symmetrical!
post #135 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

It has become a habit of mine to do the evil laugh whenever I see a new builder at the stage where they have to "pound sand"
Muahahahahahahahahaha
Ok that is out of the way... excellent job! I like the different soffit curve for your theater, but I was surprised to see that you did it symmetrical!

i was not laughing when i went up down the basement steps 60 times....looks like he got off easy just had to carry them through basement door into the room
post #136 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i was not laughing when i went up down the basement steps 60 times....looks like he got off easy just had to carry them through basement door into the room

Oh I wasn't laughing either, I was complaining the whole time. But once you do it, you can laugh at others. wink.gif Yeah, he did seem to have it easy. Mine wasn't THAT bad compared to some people's. I had the pallet on my driveway and used a wheelbarrow to take 4-6 bags (I dont remember how many) down a small hill and around to the back door. Then I could walk them into the house. There were just so many bags!
post #137 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i was not laughing when i went up down the basement steps 60 times....looks like he got off easy just had to carry them through basement door into the room

Yes i got of easy and i still whined a lot just for doing that small distance without steps lol!..I can imagine how hard the steps would have been eek.gif
post #138 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Yes i got of easy and i still whined a lot just for doing that small distance without steps lol!..I can imagine how hard the steps would have been eek.gif

i agree.smile.gif...... but lets face carrying bags of sand just stinks ..... but according to the "old timers" it is right of passage for new home theater owners/builders.....
and apparently others enjoy laughing as each of us reach the sand in stage portion of the builds..... but guess what we get preach the right of passage and laugh at the newbies now.biggrin.gif


ok where is those daily pics ????
post #139 of 983
Thread Starter 
Soffit faces complete and the nature of the curves can be felt.

Rather than run the soffits straight into the stage curve we pinched it back to the wall to keep the front wall appear as wide as possible, A Vik idea,

DSCN0312.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

DSCN0317.jpg

On the back we went with a hockey rink shape but left an open area to provide room for the projector

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

We haven't completely worked out how we are going to deal with the transition of the different heights in the room. If we had the head room we would have kept the bottom on the same level. but we will work it out.

DSCN0286.jpg
post #140 of 983
looks great, one thing is for sure there is not very many straight edges in this build at all, can't wait to see how everything starts to tie together
post #141 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

looks great, one thing is for sure there is not very many straight edges in this build at all, can't wait to see how everything starts to tie together

Actually the photos don't do any justice its much cooler looking if you see it in person. I just wanted to do something out of the box than build the same old straight soffits. I know not everyone may like it though smile.gif
post #142 of 983
Are you kidding? This theater really flows with all those curves ! !
post #143 of 983
What's the projector throw distance and planned screen size?
post #144 of 983
LOVE the curves! Very unique, and can't wait to see how it all comes together!
post #145 of 983
amazing job Vik, you and BIG are pulling together a very memorable room.
post #146 of 983
Pardon my overstepping and pretending to help you all design - you're doing a great job. I just want to suggest this (pardon the crudeness) design for the multiple soffit heights.
post #147 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Are you kidding? This theater really flows with all those curves ! !

biggrin.gif thanks that felt good to hear!
post #148 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagox View Post

What's the projector throw distance and planned screen size?

The projector is still TBD. The Screen is 140" inch curved center stage XD. Since my room width is 154 inches i thought to make it appear wider with the screen i should go with the Concave curves of the stage and the soffit above it.

I am contemplating between a temporary projector before a major upgrade next year. I am looking at Sony HW 50 vs Epson 6020. Whichever can light up that screen and do 3D better. I will be using the already purchased Panamorph UH480 lens with it.
post #149 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk View Post

amazing job Vik, you and BIG are pulling together a very memorable room.

Thanks Blynk!!
Edited by vikgrao - 11/19/12 at 8:00pm
post #150 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

LOVE the curves! Very unique, and can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Thanks Big felt the same way too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana