A little background. Vik picked up the Epson 6020 just yesterday. This is a great PJ, but I think Vik already has upgrateitus. Doesn't even have a completed theater yet and already has that dreaded disease!
Gotta love this hobby/illness! Sorry Vik could not resist giving you a little ribbing about that. I think though that on the subwoofer front you will not want or need an upgrade anytime soon!
Anyway before we even got started with the lens, mount, and the associated kit we unboxed the PJ and gave it a test run. Everything out of the box was working as it should and the image (to me anyway) looked incredibly realistic, sharp, and natural looking. We then started to assemble the kit.
Neither Vik or I have any experience in this type of kit/mount so it was the blind leading the blind at this point. Part of the issue, IMHO, is the directions are not all that clear, maybe geared towards the professional, I don't know. The drawing of the mounting plate did not match the plate Vik had and the diagrammed holes did not match up. We did find holes that matched, and used those. That sounds simple right? Yeah sounds simple, but not ever doing this before, and It's not mine, meaning that if I screw it up I'm in deep dodo made me be extra cautious. Then came the Chief RPA000 mount. I'm actually familiar with this mount as this is what I used to mount my PJ. I think that was the other thing that threw me as they don't mount this setup the same way as they do for a standard setup. Here I think familiarity hurt my thinking process, and the fact that we did not have the proper hardware which even drove me battier trying to figure out the mounting process. Vik is going to make a couple of calls/emails to Panamorph tomorrow to get some things ironed out with them and I think once that is done we will be back in business and on our way.
Unfortunately as I stated above I think I have pulled Vik into the RTROSE Slow as molasses time vortex. Sorry bout that Vik!
To top it all off my beloved Colts lost their playoff game today.
These photos that follow are mainly for Vik to show how my Chief mount works.
Here is the knurled knobs/nuts. See how the thread of the screw just barely pokes through if it were screwed down? That is why I know the other screws in the kit were too long.
This shows you how the plate I have looks as it is attached to the PJ
This shows the distance between the PJ and the ceiling (without the pole extension)
Here is just simply the mount on the ceiling. Pretty simple and straight forward.
I did give myself a heart attack though. When I put the PJ back up I did not get the knobs in correctly and about two seconds after I let go the PJ it fell off of the mount. I caught it about a foot into the fall, but man did my heart ever miss a beat. Sheesh! I am SOOOO glad I did not take my hands too far from the PJ. Whew disaster averted!
I hope the pics help you to see how the mount partially works anyway. I think after having taken more time to look at it and thinking about it I think the six bolts take the place of the knurled knobs and there is not a "quick release" feature like mine. We shall see. Hopefully we will get some answers from Panamorph tomorrow.