or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M650VSE Owners Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio M650VSE Owners Thread! - Page 17

post #481 of 717
From: http://store.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/m650vse.html

================================
Wall Mount Specifications
Hole Pattern: 600mm x 400mm
Screw Size: M8
Screw Length: 20mm
Screw Pitch: 1.25mm
================================

There are manuals on the web that spec M6 screws which is incorrect.
post #482 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

First turn the TV on and go to an input that has no signal active (i.e. go to your Bluray player input and turn off your Bluray player) so you just have a black screen. Then turn your backlight up to 100%. Look for "clouding" in the backlight and rub gently around those areas. I improved both clouding and "flashlights" coming from the corners of my set by doing this. The backlight is actually very uniform now and it seems to have improved banding as well. Just make sure to rub gently, and be aware that you'll see the areas around where you're rubbing get brighter as you are pressing the screen towards the backlight. Just keep trying rubbing in circles, up and down, side to side, etc until you see an improvement. I basically just rubbed down the whole screen a few times in various directions. Again, don't press too hard. Good luck!


Awesome! Thanks!
post #483 of 717
fearless - Any update on your issue ? I'm experiencing the same problem.

I brought home the new Vizio this weekend and as soon as I turned it on I setup my wireless connection and my HDMI port. TV came on fine but then remote became unresponsive and the TV controls didnt work. I could bring up some VIA apps via the remote but as soon as hit the OK button nothing happens. Called Vizio and they told me to exchange it. Well, just got back from BJ's with the second TV, plugged it in and the SAME problem!!!! 2 lemons eek.gif? ...doubtful.. I'll be on the line with Vizio tomorrow to hopefully work out any software issues....
post #484 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcmag View Post

The delivery guy refused to use the alley-side door to my building, barely grunting when I told him he could avoid blocking the street and I could avoid steps if he pulled the truck around. You might want to put special instructions to the carrier if you are using Threshold Delivery, but the guy didn't get a tip.
My 29-year-old and I had a similar struggle with the base, which seems under-engineered for the panel. We wound up with a variation on Dale Polk's direction above, letting the panel "rest" on its hook on the base and carefully tighting the screws like you would the lugs on a wheel. This loft has concrete floors, but I'd be really worried if I had this panel in a unit with soft floors and/or little kids running around. A wall mount would be a safety item.
It would be good to be careful about a stand, too. The IKEA Besta stand 802.184.58 is rated high enough both to hold the panel and have bays big enough for my Inifinity SM-series center chanel and my old-school Technics audio system. You can choose legs or casters for stand and having casters was handy for the set-up.
Since the cable modem and the router live in the same cabinet, the panel is connected to the router by ethernet cable.
As for audio, there is an HTPC for Blu-Ray and other streaming with video sent to HDMI 1 and the audio sent to the line ("through") on the Technics SH-AC500D processor and directly to the 6-channel input on the Technics SA-AX720 reciever. This gives the HTPC direct access to the Technics Class H+ amps and lets the HTPC do the processing (although the processor has DTS and Dolby Digital ability). The Comcast box sends to HDMI 2 and audio via optical to the Digital 1 input on the processor and again into the reciever. For good measure and to maybe use the VIA apps, we used another optical cable from the panel (in Dolby Digital, not PCM mode) to the Digital 2 input on the processor. We're using my classic, rebuilt (and unloved on AVS Forum) Infinity SM-series voice matched speakers in a 5.1 setting with a Klipsch subwoofer for low-end overkill.
This works pretty smoothly because the Harmony 770 Remote swtiches audio and video inputs at the same time, since it is programmed to know Blu-Ray means HDMI 1 on the panel + Line on the processor + 6-channel on the receiever and Comcast means HDMI 2 on the panel + Digital 1 on the processor + 6-channel on the receiver. As long as the Technics hold up and the Harmony works (it had no trouble finding the Vizio settings in Logitech's database, all the way down to the VIA button), I don't see a big need for a new HDMI reciever to do the switching and driving, especially since the Technics 110-disc CD and the Sirius Starmate are still in service as analog sources controlled by the receiver, too.
Of course, I'm using optical for most of the audio and your mileage will vary. All of this gear (including the Technics processor that was packaged with the receiver) pops up for cheap prices on eBay all the time, but I'd stay away from old speakers unless you are sure they've been rebuilt. I have to doubt a sound bar could sound as good as a 5.1 set-up, but others in your home might appreciate less gear.
We adopted the settings put forward by MyAppleBuddy before he returned his panel. It really is an amazing picture in both size and brilliance, versus the four-year-old 47" inch Philips (pre-Funai) I sold to a co-worker for $300. It is a fully entertaing experience with a panel this big and a good present to myself in place of the vacations I missed taking this year.
Will attempt to post images, too.


Curious, what tv stand is that? Looks nice.
post #485 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk6 View Post

fearless - Any update on your issue ? I'm experiencing the same problem.
I brought home the new Vizio this weekend and as soon as I turned it on I setup my wireless connection and my HDMI port. TV came on fine but then remote became unresponsive and the TV controls didnt work. I could bring up some VIA apps via the remote but as soon as hit the OK button nothing happens. Called Vizio and they told me to exchange it. Well, just got back from BJ's with the second TV, plugged it in and the SAME problem!!!! 2 lemons eek.gif? ...doubtful.. I'll be on the line with Vizio tomorrow to hopefully work out any software issues....

They are insisting on replacing mine as well. I ordered online for BF from Sams. I've gathered more information and it seems the interface is completely unusable for an indeterminate amount of time at power on, presumably while it's loading all the bloatware into memory. That includes remote recognition for volume, ... If using CEC, it takes a few moments to first get a picture on the screen, then sound through the TV's speakers, then about 5-10 seconds until it send the signal to the receiver to power up, and then about 15-90 seconds until it signals the receiver to switch to TV input incorrectly. At THAT moment, the TV will respond to the remote.

IMHO it's poorly designed firmware and too much bloatware for an under powered processor. Other than that, it's awesome smile.gif I think they can fix this as it was similar when I first got my M550NV set. New firmware fixed the issues. I'd like to be able to disable or at least select/reduce the number of "apps" I will NEVER use.
post #486 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

They are insisting on replacing mine as well. I ordered online for BF from Sams. I've gathered more information and it seems the interface is completely unusable for an indeterminate amount of time at power on, presumably while it's loading all the bloatware into memory. That includes remote recognition for volume, ... If using CEC, it takes a few moments to first get a picture on the screen, then sound through the TV's speakers, then about 5-10 seconds until it send the signal to the receiver to power up, and then about 15-90 seconds until it signals the receiver to switch to TV input incorrectly. At THAT moment, the TV will respond to the remote.
IMHO it's poorly designed firmware and too much bloatware for an under powered processor. Other than that, it's awesome smile.gif I think they can fix this as it was similar when I first got my M550NV set. New firmware fixed the issues. I'd like to be able to disable or at least select/reduce the number of "apps" I will NEVER use.

you can uninstall apps. I have removed a bunch.
go to the "connected tv store" app. then "my apps". Select a app you want to uninstall, and at the bottom will be a uninstall tab.
post #487 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsbro View Post

you can uninstall apps. I have removed a bunch.
go to the "connected tv store" app. then "my apps". Select a app you want to uninstall, and at the bottom will be a uninstall tab.

OK, good data point and PAINFUL process smile.gif I uninstalled all the bloatware it would allow (15) and the behavior is the same frown.gif

Is there a way to uninstall these things as a list rather than having to individually select, tell it to uninstall, enter PIN, acknowledge, return, scroll, and rinse/repeat biggrin.gif I refuse to add a profile with a login, ... especially to uahoo given how frequently my old sbcglobal accounts (yahoo) used to get hacked and spam a plenty to all my friends....
post #488 of 717
Now that I've owned my set for a few weeks I feel I can give a decent review. I'll try to be brief.

The Picture quality I would give 8/10. When recieving a picture from my HD cable box you can see every artifact and imperfection that is inherent with any cable tv feed I am aware of. There is the occasional moment of choppy motion from time to time. Last night I watched the Nets, Knicks game which was on three channels at once (YES, MSG, and ESPN). The picture from MSG was to poor to comment on. From YES network the colors were oversaturated and details like the herringbone pattern on the court were not crisp. On ESPN the color was correct and the picture was very crisp. I bring up this example to illustrate that cable TV feeds are not good indicators when evaluating picture quality of a TV.

When playing a bluray however the crispness and motion flow is flawless.

There are really only two real deficiencies that jump out at me.

The first is the Color quality. The display I owned before this one has the strongest color reproduction without over-saturating that I have seen. It is necessary to make a compromise between color level (how much) and color quality (oversaturation) with this set. I tried myapplebuddy's settings and while they gave me an incredibly clear picture with no over-saturation, they completely killed the color. Watching a football game on sunday the green grass almost seemed grey. In the end I reset the picture settings and just backed off the color setting a touch from the standard preset. If slight over saturation or slightly weak colors are a deal breaker for you then pass on this set because you will get one or the other. Really either issue is not to bad with this set but if you require perfection then consider yourself warned.

The second issue with this set is banding. My set has some banding and while it is rare that I notice it, given the right situation it can be pronounced. From what I've researched banding is a prevalent issue with many current large displays. I would give this set a grade of 6/10 based on the existence of banding if in my research I hadn't learned that this issue is virtually unavoidable for a set in this price level. To get a high end set with no banding and better color reproduction you would have to spend a lot more money.

Other things to consider:

Rear firing speakers- they sound fine to me. I am wall mounted and use my 5.1 reciever for sound but when I have tried the built in speakers they were pretty good for TV speakers.

Vizio apps/wireless- Bravo!!! These apps are responsive and the keyboard on the remote makes typing in search terms etc... very convenient. Right now, my audio return channel is not working (due to my cable, not the TV) so in order to get surround sound through Netflix I have to use my Samsung bluray. The response time is terrible from the bluray making me appreciate the quality of the Vizio version all the more, and typing on the bluray app means using the arrow and enter keys with an on screen keyboard. Again, the Vizio apps are fantastic to use in comparison.
Wireless operates just fine on my home network. The networking menu reports a weak signal but every time I use the test connection feature it shows a strong signal and full transfer rate. I have noticed that the youtube app likes to buffer. It does this for both my tv and my bluray version of the Youtube app so I'm not blaming the TV.

Final thoughts/Summary:
This TV gets high marks based on value. It does everything a higher end set does with very minimal compromise in picture quality. If the colors were stronger and there was no banding this tv would be a 10/10. As is It's a solid 8/10. If I'm wrong to think that minor Banding is a fact of life in this level of TV then it's 6.5/10 because it's a big deal if it's not supposed to be there.
post #489 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

Here are the issues I have experienced:
1. Every so often there is a "glitch" where the picture goes out for a split second then comes right back.
2. The remote is fairly unresponsive (touchy) most of the time, and sometimes it completely locks up and is unresponsive to all commands for about 30 seconds.
3. The Internet apps worked at first but now when I try to pull them up I just get the spinning loading indicator but nothing happens. My network is fine so I may need to reset the TV. I am using a hard wired connection.
4. I can't get the colors quite right. Greens and reds are the main culprit.

Have you figured out the "glitch" problem you are having? I am having this same issue. I spoke with someone from Vizio today. See my chat log below.

Kayla: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat, the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. This is Kayla in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?
Ryan: Morning Kayla, I have, but not for this TV I am currently experiencing issues with.
Kayla: To better assist you, I would like to get you registered for technical support so I can log this case. Could I start off by first getting your full address including City, State and zip code (physical address, not PO Box), and then could you give me your serial number, date of purchase, purchase location, and price please?
Ryan:
Ryan:
Ryan:
Ryan:
Kayla: Do you have an alternate phone number besides the one that you have listed already?
Ryan:
Ryan: Phone number listed is best POC
Kayla: And the picture will go black for a few seconds and then come back on?
Ryan: correct with the audio intact
Kayla: Turn off the Adaptive Luma and the Ambient Light Sensor in the Advanced Picture settings.
Ryan: Both are already set to Off
Kayla: Do you have all of the Advanced Picture settings set to OFF?
Ryan: I do.
Kayla: This will remove any of the user accounts that you may have set up. Please follow the steps listed below :
1. Using the Vizio remote, please hit the Via button.
2. Scroll through the widgets listed until HDTV Settings is on the far left and then select it.
3. Highlight Help using the arrow keys on the remote and then select it.
4. Select Clear Memory (factory defaults).
If you have not manually reset the parental code, please input 0 0 0 0 when it asks for the password.
The tv will restart and begin the initial setup again.
Ryan: I have also tried that, via the AVSForums.
Kayla: Once you have completed the clear memory and you are still having the issue, please contact us back reference your case number
.
Kayla: Okay, when the picture goes out - can you look in the back of the TV through the vents and see if the back light goes out when the picture does?
Ryan: The tv is mounted flush to a wall 6 feet high
Ryan: From my understanding this is a software problem with the board on the M650VSE. According to multiple forums.
Kayla: Those forums were not written by VIZIO technicians, so you are not able to believe them entirely. There are no known issues with this model. This is the first case I have heard of the issues.
Ryan: There is also the issue with the WPA2 security being used and the Vizio remote becoming unresponsive, this coming directly from a Vizio technician who has worked with these TV's.
Kayla: There are no know issues on this model. The TV connects to WPA2 encryptions and the remote does not have any known issues. If they were known issues, we would be aware of them. And you can find anything that you want on the Internet - someone could just be saying that they are a VIZIO technician. But again, there are no known issues on this TV.
Kayla: We will need to check for the back light and once you have those results, contact us back reference your case number. We will also need to get a copy of your receipt as well. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
Ryan: The information that came from the VIZIO technician was not from the web, this was someone directly working with VIZIO who repaired a board on the M650VSE that burnt out.
Kayla: Again, there are no known issues on this model. Just as other electronic vendors, we cannot predict how or when a unit might have a problem. Although our failure rate is extremely low, no electronic product can be made 100% flawless. Please check for the back light and send in a copy of the receipt through the email that I will be sending you at the conclusion of this chat. Do you have any other questions for me at this time?
Ryan: No, but thanks for trying.
Kayla: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Chat Support! If you need our assistance again in the future you can contact us by Chat, Email, and Phone service. That information is found on http://www.vizio.com. Have a great day!
Kayla has disconnected.
Edited by AcePuppy - 12/12/12 at 9:23am
post #490 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcePuppy View Post

Have you figured out the "glitch" problem you are having? I am having this same issue. I spoke with someone from Vizio today. See my chat log below.
Kayla: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat, the home of Entertainment Freedom for All. This is Kayla in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?
Ryan: Morning Kayla, I have, but not for this TV I am currently experiencing issues with.
Kayla: To better assist you, I would like to get you registered for technical support so I can log this case. Could I start off by first getting your full address including City, State and zip code (physical address, not PO Box), and then could you give me your serial number, date of purchase, purchase location, and price please?
Ryan:
Ryan:
Ryan:
Ryan:
Kayla: Do you have an alternate phone number besides the one that you have listed already?
Ryan:
Ryan: Phone number listed is best POC
Kayla: And the picture will go black for a few seconds and then come back on?
Ryan: correct with the audio intact
Kayla: Turn off the Adaptive Luma and the Ambient Light Sensor in the Advanced Picture settings.
Ryan: Both are already set to Off
Kayla: Do you have all of the Advanced Picture settings set to OFF?
Ryan: I do.
Kayla: This will remove any of the user accounts that you may have set up. Please follow the steps listed below :
1. Using the Vizio remote, please hit the Via button.
2. Scroll through the widgets listed until HDTV Settings is on the far left and then select it.
3. Highlight Help using the arrow keys on the remote and then select it.
4. Select Clear Memory (factory defaults).
If you have not manually reset the parental code, please input 0 0 0 0 when it asks for the password.
The tv will restart and begin the initial setup again.
Ryan: I have also tried that, via the AVSForums.
Kayla: Once you have completed the clear memory and you are still having the issue, please contact us back reference your case number
.
Kayla: Okay, when the picture goes out - can you look in the back of the TV through the vents and see if the back light goes out when the picture does?
Ryan: The tv is mounted flush to a wall 6 feet high
Ryan: From my understanding this is a software problem with the board on the M650VSE. According to multiple forums.
Kayla: Those forums were not written by VIZIO technicians, so you are not able to believe them entirely. There are no known issues with this model. This is the first case I have heard of the issues.
Ryan: There is also the issue with the WPA2 security being used and the Vizio remote becoming unresponsive, this coming directly from a Vizio technician who has worked with these TV's.
Kayla: There are no know issues on this model. The TV connects to WPA2 encryptions and the remote does not have any known issues. If they were known issues, we would be aware of them. And you can find anything that you want on the Internet - someone could just be saying that they are a VIZIO technician. But again, there are no known issues on this TV.
Kayla: We will need to check for the back light and once you have those results, contact us back reference your case number. We will also need to get a copy of your receipt as well. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?
Ryan: The information that came from the VIZIO technician was not from the web, this was someone directly working with VIZIO who repaired a board on the M650VSE that burnt out.
Kayla: Again, there are no known issues on this model. Just as other electronic vendors, we cannot predict how or when a unit might have a problem. Although our failure rate is extremely low, no electronic product can be made 100% flawless. Please check for the back light and send in a copy of the receipt through the email that I will be sending you at the conclusion of this chat. Do you have any other questions for me at this time?
Ryan: No, but thanks for trying.
Kayla: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Chat Support! If you need our assistance again in the future you can contact us by Chat, Email, and Phone service. That information is found on http://www.vizio.com. Have a great day!
Kayla has disconnected.

It's not Kayla's fault but it's sad to see Vizio dropping to the standards of the rest of the industry is making statements like there are no known issues. I know I've reported 2 that they want to replace the TV for and read this thread for others. Has anyone pointed the tech to this thread when chatting? Maybe some positive persuasion could get Vizio to monitor things here much like DirecTV does with DBSTalk????
post #491 of 717
Here you go, from above:

"The IKEA Besta stand 802.184.58 is rated high enough both to hold the panel and have bays big enough for my Inifinity SM-series center chanel and my old-school Technics audio system. You can choose legs or casters for stand and having casters was handy for the set-up."

I don't know if it a "store only" item. Also, there are services in some places that go to IKEA and pick-up an item for delivery to a non-IKEA location.
post #492 of 717
AcePuppy
"And the picture will go black for a few seconds and then come back on?"

I have the 651 and have the same problem with Component it. With HDMI the picture will flicker sometimes when chaning sceens. I also have a Vizio 554 which does the same thing.

I put a camera behind the set to see if the backlight was going out and it wasn't.

The thing is, this seems to happen only when watching a couple of channels. Hallmark and Lifetime. When watching HBO etc, I haven't had the problem.

Are you using DirecTV?

Tuesday the 554 went out and I couldn't bring up any inputs on the TV or the Menu. But the backlight was still on. I could turn off the set with the remote and when I turned it back on it was ok. It hasn't happened again and I had the set on all day yesterday.

Does the problem show when you are playing DVDs or Blurays?

I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my DirecTV or the TV itself. I also have a Vizio 553 and it doesn't display any of these problems.
post #493 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

AcePuppy
"And the picture will go black for a few seconds and then come back on?"
I have the 651 and have the same problem with Component it. With HDMI the picture will flicker sometimes when chaning sceens. I also have a Vizio 554 which does the same thing.
I put a camera behind the set to see if the backlight was going out and it wasn't.
The thing is, this seems to happen only when watching a couple of channels. Hallmark and Lifetime. When watching HBO etc, I haven't had the problem.
Are you using DirecTV?
Tuesday the 554 went out and I couldn't bring up any inputs on the TV or the Menu. But the backlight was still on. I could turn off the set with the remote and when I turned it back on it was ok. It hasn't happened again and I had the set on all day yesterday.
Does the problem show when you are playing DVDs or Blurays?
I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with my DirecTV or the TV itself. I also have a Vizio 553 and it doesn't display any of these problems.

I have Fios, I have not noticed it on specific channels as of yet and watched a bluray the other day and did not see any symptoms. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it. The backlight does not go out either. I am only experiencing the picture go black for a couple of seconds and coming back on at random intervals with the audio fully intact.
post #494 of 717
I picked up one of these on Black Friday and mounted it the same day. I have not seen the screen blanking issue.

For those having trouble with the picture periodically blacking out, have you tried swapping any HDMI cables that might be involved? Or possibly removing anything between the source & the TV (A/V receiver, etc.)

I wonder if HDCP and a possible sub-par cable or device might be causing it. Maybe the Vizio is more sensitive to this.

I do have an odd & reproducible issue - I have a computer running XBMC for our movie collection. XBMC is also a DLNA server, too. The Vizio TV can see the XBMC software, and allows me to browse the movies by actor, date, rating, etc. However, when I actually get to a movie to play it, the TV completely powers off immediately! There is no indication or anything on the TV - just a blank screen (I have the Vizio logo set to off at all times). It was by accident that I pressed the power button in trying to figure out what was going on. When I did, the TV powered back on and acted normal. Until I tried to get to a movie again...

I don't plan to use this functionality, but it sure is an odd response from the TV. I just chock it up to bad programming by Vizio.
post #495 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholfd View Post

I picked up one of these on Black Friday and mounted it the same day. I have not seen the screen blanking issue.
For those having trouble with the picture periodically blacking out, have you tried swapping any HDMI cables that might be involved? Or possibly removing anything between the source & the TV (A/V receiver, etc.)
I wonder if HDCP and a possible sub-par cable or device might be causing it. Maybe the Vizio is more sensitive to this.
I do have an odd & reproducible issue - I have a computer running XBMC for our movie collection. XBMC is also a DLNA server, too. The Vizio TV can see the XBMC software, and allows me to browse the movies by actor, date, rating, etc. However, when I actually get to a movie to play it, the TV completely powers off immediately! There is no indication or anything on the TV - just a blank screen (I have the Vizio logo set to off at all times). It was by accident that I pressed the power button in trying to figure out what was going on. When I did, the TV powered back on and acted normal. Until I tried to get to a movie again...
I don't plan to use this functionality, but it sure is an odd response from the TV. I just chock it up to bad programming by Vizio.

Just a wild guess but could it have to do with CEC? When I turn on my bluray it turns on my receiver automatically. Maybe the XBMC is telling your tv to turn on but because it is already on it turns off instead???
post #496 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

Just a wild guess but could it have to do with CEC? When I turn on my bluray it turns on my receiver automatically. Maybe the XBMC is telling your tv to turn on but because it is already on it turns off instead???

CEC is disabled everywhere, and the computer that XBMC runs on is not CEC capable. DLNA systems only know about each other & only communicate via a LAN (Wired or Wireless). I believe CEC only works via an HDMI connection.

I have never been able to get CEC to work properly on ANY CEC capable equipment I've owned. This includes Sony & Yamaha receivers (hi-end), Vizio, Sony & Samsung TVs and a Samsung Blu-Ray player. With any attempted combination with an AV receiver involved, there was always some odd behavior that could not be controlled or set to work properly. Early this year I gave up on CEC completely. In my opinion, CEC is a half-baked standard that is not implemented correctly or consistently, anywhere. Maybe it might work correctly if all of the products are from the same manufacturer & of the same year/generation (just the Samsung TV & Samsung Blu-Ray player, purchased at the same time, worked ok, with CEC enabled on only those two devices). But forget it working well across brands/generations.
post #497 of 717
We have had the M650VE for about a week now with no issues - no clouding, no banding, no drop outs, no black screen, no remote unresponsiveness, and no "on-off" issues. The TV is connected to an outside antenna, DISH network's satellite, last years "smart" Sony Blue Ray Player, an Apple TV (3rd generation with no firmware updates applied) - all HDMI (no component connection), and audio-wise an ancient Nakamichi 5.1 receiver via analog line out audio and a cheap refurbished Vizio sound bar with subwoofer via the optical connection. Unlike other LED, Plasma, or DLP TV's we have (or had) the Vizio will push sound out all of the outputs (as will as its own) at the same time, which I love. I mention this because it is a feature I have not seen documented elsewhere.

The internet connection for the TV is hard wired into a 5 port gigabit Netgear switch that connects all the AV Stuff, and that is connected to an Airport Extreme. All this (plus a lot of other devices) gets it's "juice" from a faster (not fastest) Comcast connection. The TV's internet apps are not speedy, but are not any slower than any other device (Apple TV, ROKU, Blue Ray Payers, Nintendo, etc) that rely on the Comcast signal. The girls use a lot of Netflix "watch instantly" through the TV's app, and there is no better picture quality from any other Netflix enabled device we own - it is as surprisingly stunning on this Vizio. The same is true for the built-in Amazon streamed content. The antenna and Dish's picture quality is equally as impressive. My wife describes watching Blue Ray movies, "like being in the theatre." Watching "War Horse" kept us all glued to the set.

The "purists" who have fiddled with the M650VSE's video settings and seem to have a lot of equipment come and returned (and thusly have seen a lot more screens that us) can appropriately find fault with my high praise for this TV, but the extent of changing the picture quality for us has been to change from standard to movie to football to basketball modes. This has been enough to satisfy our needs.

Naturally, there is no addressing the reliability of this set, but if it turns out not to be good, I am at least encouraged by the previous posts to this forum that Vizio seems responsive to the issues others have. I did buy a Squaretrade 4 year warranty using one of those 40% off coupons we got from liking them on Facebook, but I hope to come back in a year and reiterate how much I like this TV, and hope to never have to do anything other then sit back and enjoy the experience.
post #498 of 717
Just got a firmware update. says 3.43.847 now. Anyone else?
post #499 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsbro View Post

Just got a firmware update. says 3.43.847 now. Anyone else?
Same here, I wonder what the changelog is.
post #500 of 717
Where do you check for firmware updates? And check the version?
post #501 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAR15 View Post

Where do you check for firmware updates? And check the version?

Menu > Help > system info. Look at version #, a couple lines down.

I just happened to turn on TV and there was a popup saying they updated the firmware.
post #502 of 717
After firmware update, I'm noticing the apps seem a bit snappier.
post #503 of 717
Nope, mine has old firmware. 2.31.447
Is there a way to initiate the update?
post #504 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post

I tried myapplebuddy's settings and while they gave me an incredibly clear picture with no over-saturation, they completely killed the color. Watching a football game on sunday the green grass almost seemed grey. In the end I reset the picture settings and just backed off the color setting a touch from the standard preset. If slight over saturation or slightly weak colors are a deal breaker for you then pass on this set because you will get one or the other. Really either issue is not to bad with this set but if you require perfection then consider yourself warned.
The second issue with this set is banding. My set has some banding and while it is rare that I notice it, given the right situation it can be pronounced. From what I've researched banding is a prevalent issue with many current large displays. I would give this set a grade of 6/10 based on the existence of banding if in my research I hadn't learned that this issue is virtually unavoidable for a set in this price level. To get a high end set with no banding and better color reproduction you would have to spend a lot more money.
Since posting those settings and living with the set for longer now, I totally agree with you about the colors. At first I preferred leaving the Color Enhancement setting off, but it completely kills the reds and the greens. Initially I had a separate setting just for football games due to the exact problem you mentioned about the grass looking grey. The main difference was that I used Color Enhancement on "Normal" which made greens look correct. The more I've watched movies and television the more I can't stand the look of the colors with Color Enhancement "Off". The reds and greens are completely lifeless. So all that to say, I have finally settled on a single group of settings I am happy with, which I use for both television and movies. The colors are not perfect all the time but most of the time I'm very happy with it. Here's what I'm using now and probably sticking with unless someone posts something I like even better:

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 55
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 55
Color: 48
Tint: -2 (one thing to note here is with the AVS HD709 calibration disc the "correct" setting using a blue filter was +2 but it looked way too green to me so I adjusted it by eye to -2)
Sharpness: 6
Color Temperature: Custom
Red Gain: 50
Green Gain: 45
Blue Gain: 50
Red Offset: 50
Green Offset: 45
Blue Offset: 50
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Normal
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off

At one point I was ready to return my M650VSE but I'm happy to report that I really love it now that I got the settings where I can live with the colors. As I mentioned in a previous post and as Scipper77 also mentioned above, the banding is not a big deal at all. This may vary set to set, but in my case and it sounds like in Scipper77's as well you rarely ever notice it, and for me it's only on solid backgrounds like the Netflix loading screen. So far it hasn't been a distraction whatsoever.
post #505 of 717
I need new cables for this tv but before I order....
1 - Can I have the tv hooked up wireless to my Internet AND use a hdmi Ethernet cable to connect my Sony bluray player?
I have never used the Internet part of the bluray because it has to be wired, there is no wireless feature build it
2 - are eBay cables http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-FT-High-Speed-1-4-HDMI-Ethernet-M-M-3D-Cable-2160p-HDTV-PS3-xBox-DVD-M-M-10FT-/140769387431?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20c68263a7 worth the risk? I can get three for $8 shipped vs monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025008&p_id=6106&seq=1&format=2#description for 22 plus
3 - are the "general" hdmi cables ok for going from TiVo/cable box, bluray, and surround sound/DVD/radio/USB device?
Monoprice has a video saying its not a good idea to use for audio receivers and I have no idea what to buy
4 - is the digital out a coax or optical jack?
Tia
Edited by willndmb - 12/13/12 at 9:28pm
post #506 of 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAR15 View Post

Nope, mine has old firmware. 2.31.447
Is there a way to initiate the update?

From what I have read, the TV checks for updates based on the number of times it is turned on and off. Some people have had luck with the 60" turning the TV on for 5 minutes then off for 5 minutes...repeat until it checks for update.
post #507 of 717
Man, I'm so late to this VIzio 65" party. And where to begin. I too got my tv on BF from Sam's. I got to the store around midnight and was about the 20th person in line. Luckily mostly everybody was there for the SIII. One one person in front of me was there to get the TV. Even better, when we went in at 7:01 am, found out they had a pallet of 12 of these TV's.

I set up my TV that same Friday morning. Flimsy base, blah, blah, blah. Removed my 46" from my stand and the transition was very smooth, cables wise. I have my TV connected to a Denon 5.1 system and all my devices connect to the receiver (TV, SAT box, Blu Ray player). Watched TV channels for a couple of minutes and then decided to try a Blu Ray movie, "The Expendables 2". Not even 5 minutes into the movie, I was like, "WTF" is going on with the screen. Did this movie get filmed by an amateur following these gunslingers around. Little by little the panic started to sink in, in hopes that this is the actual picture of this model TV.
Luckily, after reading online, found that the darn smooth motion is on by default and has to be turned off. Wheww!!

I did notice some of the Banding on my TV, but is hardly seen as a lot of people have mentioned, so i can live with that. TV start up time is a nuisance, but looks like all Smart TV's go through this. No biggie.

I see that other people have had an issue with the audio when having the TV connected to a receiver, and then using the apps and the apps audio only comes out through the built in speakers and not the surround speakers. I was puzzled at this. However, I was able to find a solution for this. Not sure if this is the correct one method or not, but worked for me.

To solve this issue, I had to connect a male line out cable to the audio out in the back of the TV. The other end I connected it to the auxiliary input on my receiver. Now when I start an app, lets say Pandora, I have to switch from SAT/Cbl to Auxiliary on my Denon Remote. I don't lose tv/app signal and I now get the audio through my surround speakers for a LOUDER PUNCH.

Just saw that some people are noticing a new firmware update available on their TV's. I'll go and check mine out here in a little bit to see if i can go ahead and update as well. Hope any of this info helps to any who are having similar issues.
post #508 of 717
Quick question on this set.. I am having an issue with the Optical audio out (toslink) connection. I am unable to get a the plug to click in place. I line it up and push it through the swinging door on the port and it just falls back out. The clear dust cover on the end of the cable has been removed. It almost seems like the round housing of the cable is hitting the plastic on the back of the TV and preventing it from inserting all the way. I have tried two cables with the same issue. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
post #509 of 717
For those who used American Express to buy their panel, the below is from the Amex website. After Vizio's one-year warranty expires, the automatic one-year extension takes effect with coverage handled by American Express. There is also a guarantee the seller will accept returns for 90 days and automatic 90-day coverage for incidents such as the panel not being well-hung (sorry) and falling off your wall, also copied below.

Do I have to activate or sign up for the Extended Warranty?
No! The Extended Warranty is a benefit of your Card membership.

How do I file a claim?
You should report the Occurrence immediately following the loss. You can easily file a claim by calling 1-800-225-3750. You must provide proof of purchase and satisfactory proof of the covered Occurrence while coverage is in effect to qualify for benefits under the Extended Warranty. Remember to keep all your American Express charge receipts, original store receipts, original manufacturers’ warranties, and products requiring repair until the claim process is complete. You may also be asked to obtain a repair estimate. The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you up to the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original purchase price. The Extended Warranty does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other service charges.

How does the Purchase Protection work?
When you charge a covered purchase with your Card, the Purchase Protection protects that item if it is stolen or accidentally damaged, including vandalism. You are covered up to $1,000 per Occurrence, up to $50,000 per Card account per policy year. The Purchase Protection is in EXCESS of other sources of indemnity.

For how long are my purchases covered?
With the Purchase Protection, your eligible purchases are covered for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.

Anyone who has experience with these (or a similar program from Discover, etc.) is hereby invited to share their experience.
Edited by marcmag - 12/14/12 at 7:56pm
post #510 of 717
Got a firmware update and am no longer experiencing the picture go in and out randomly!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio M650VSE Owners Thread!