Originally Posted by JL-F1
Less posting more installing Dell card and THEN posting
We are hungry for info
I need to choose a card to add more HDD drives so I don't have to get up and put a disk in
Lol I still have not installed it. haha.
So lazy. I spent the weekend making cabinet doors.
I had a post here in Cowger's theater build thread because he's an awesome wood wooker and I am PC geek that's jealous. haha
Here is the post I made in his thread:
This $99 Ryobi I got at HD on a whim seems to perform well. It's cheap plastic, almost disposable. But it seems to work well given it's low price and plastic design. I am not an avid wood worker- but I am considering upgrading it to something more robust and capable given I have a home additional and theater build starting very soon. Just wondering if I can get by without spending more since I am on a very tight budget.
I went to HD got some No.2 Pine and some MDF for the center raised panels. I am trying to do this cheap as it's only a basement storage area, but I wanted to learn to do it and learn the skill so I might do better on something more important next time. I have a few large walk in closets planned in the home addition and I am thinking I will go DIY router for those. This skill might come in handy
First thing I did was cut all the wood the exact same lengths. The area I am enclosing is under a countertop so I had a specific dimension I needed to make the doors. It was originally a work bench space that I slapped a counter top above and decided to turn it into storage. I wanted to make sure I cut all the Stiles exactly the same length. Measuring each with a tape measure would yield a small variation I wanted to avoid.
What I did was make a quick guide. I screwed two pieces of crappy pine together and then just clamped down a wood scrap block. That way every cut I made came out the exact same without needing to measure. Once I got it set up the cutting was very easy
Once the stock was cut for the stiles I ran each piece through the router. Once it was done they dry fit together pretty nice.
Then I ripped the MDF on the table saw to the correct size. I had to account for the buried 7/16" that fit into the stiles. First I ripped it one way. Then I made the cuts the opposite way.
Then I had a problem in that the cheapo Router table I bought for $99 did not have a hole big enough to accommodate my router bit for raising the panel. So I took some spare MDF and drilled a whole in the scrap with a hole saw that would allow for the bit- and I raised the top of my router up since I could not drop the bit any lower.
I also made a makeshift fence and top guide by just screwing down additional scraps of MDF I had left over.
The result was a fence and top plate that accepted the panel perfectly.
Once the panels were raised I dry fit one just to test it out, but dinner was ready and I was tired so I quit for the day. One day this week I am going to sand them up, glue them up, and then paint them.
Because I had to remove the fence from the router table to mod it- I could not use the dust collection. The MDF was incredible dusty and messy. It was horrible.
A mask and some earphones are highly recommended. At first I was listening to the stereo, which I turned up loud enough to overcome the rigid shop vac I was using for dust collection and the noise of the table saw, miter saw and router. My ears fatigued and I decided it was better to just use ear phone sound protection. It was a smart move in hindsight.
I ended up setting up two big fans we use on the patio to keep cool. One I set up to blow across the router table and towards the door of the garage. I set up the second on the outside of the garage also blowing out. My goal was just to have the dust blow out of the garage. It made a huge mess.
Car got covered in dust. Ended up having to wash the cars and driveway off with a hose.
I made a huge mess (sorry I am no where near as neat or organized as Cowger
) but in the end I learned a new skill. I am not perfect at it by any means, but I feel like next time I could probably do a really good job with better results now that I know what I am doing. There was learning curve for sure. And - if I bought the cabinet doors everything I could find to purchase was very expensive in comparison. I likely would have resorted to just using plywood.
Special thanks for sharing your project and giving me the inspiration to try something new and outside my comfort zone!
So basically that was my weekend project. I did just buy another HDD so I have 3 new Seagates to Install soon.