or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 55

post #1621 of 3368
As I'm going to finally do my build tomorrow or Mon, should I install WHS completely first and once that's up and running, add the MSE?
post #1622 of 3368
Yes.

Check out my step by step guides if you wish. They are free for everyone now.
post #1623 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

OK. I fixed the error I was getting. As expected it was WHS trying to run an update to the MS Security Essentials program itself (not just the definitions update) and as we know, MSE isn't officially compatible with WHS. Gotta love Microsoft.

I know that the link above a little bit worked, but I don't want a critical error all of the time because Windows Update keeps wanting to upgrade the MSE to a version that doesn't work.


So here is what I did.
Taken from this link: Option #2 for getting MSE working with WHS

Well here are the files if anyone is wanting to install / test Microsoft Security Essentials on WHS 2011 but unable to because of the error:

"Your version of the Windows operating system is not supported by this program".
or
Failed update code: 8004FF04


FIX:

1. Download the included files. Extract to a folder on your WHS 2011 Desktop (Remote Desktop) MSE_WHS2011_Install.zip 307k .zip file

2. Download the Microsoft Security Essentials install file.
Download Windows 7 64-bit MSE

File must be named "mseinstall.exe" and be the x64 version.

3. Place the install file into the same folder previously extracted to your WHS 2011 desktop from step 1

4. Run the batch file named "MSE_WHS2011_Install.bat"

OR

Optionally compile and run the Autoit Script from the same folder (Does same thing as the batch file)



So far it appears to be working fine.


Of course I make no guarantees that it will work but it did for me and I hope it does for everyone else. smile.gif

Nice work Nick !
post #1624 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

As I'm going to finally do my build tomorrow or Mon, should I install WHS completely first and once that's up and running, add the MSE?

I always get it up an running first. When the MS updates are done I then begin installing software.

Drivers->then updates_>software
post #1625 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Yes. Check out my step by step guides if you wish. They are free for everyone now.

Yeah, his guides are great. Not that you can't work your way through things, but even things like FlexRAID and its verify, update, etc settings are explained so easily that it cuts back dramatically on the research and learning curve.
post #1626 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

[quote name="A9X-308" url="/t/1438027/mfusicks-how-to-build-an-affordable-30tb-flexraid-media-server-information-requested/1620_60#post_23734042"]As I'm going to finally do my build tomorrow or Mon, should I install WHS completely first and once that's up and running, add the MSE?[/quote]I always get it up an running first. When the MS updates are done I then begin installing software.Drivers->then updates_>software

+1 on this.
post #1627 of 3368
I ran some hard drive tests (just using SeaTools) for a while on all of the 3TB drives and they tested good, so no inherit issues due to NewEgg mis-packing or UPS poor handling. So that is good. I need to create folder structures and shares, but that might wait until later. I am heading to a friend's house shortly to help him assemble his new 140" screen and do some audio and visual calibration of his new setup.
post #1628 of 3368
Can I ask why you guys prefer whs over others?
post #1629 of 3368
I like it because 1) It is a server environment instead of a desktop O/S, and 2) it is really cheap at $40-$50 for a full server license with 10 CALs (Client Access Licenses).

The next Windows server options (which aren't current either) are a couple of hundred $$$ minimum. You can get a Windows 8 upgrade for about $70, and a full license for Win 7 or Win 8 for some versions for $100. You still don't have a server environment with all of its benefits (not bloated to run any game or app, tools and utilities geared towards what the machine is, a server, and so forth). There ARE some setup things to learn, but there are guides that are super easy to follow (Assassin's for example) for WHS.

Just my thoughts and I've only had it running for 1 day. Others can chime in too.
post #1630 of 3368

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information ...

I'm going to be building a server within the next few months and I may go with Windows 7/8. I'm hesitant to go with WHS due to the fact that it is EOL. I don't see how Win7 on somewhat powerful hardware would have any issue doing what I want it to do. Just my two cents.
post #1631 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I'm going to be building a server within the next few months and I may go with Windows 7/8. I'm hesitant to go with WHS due to the fact that it is EOL. I don't see how Win7 on somewhat powerful hardware would have any issue doing what I want it to do. Just my two cents.
I personally use win7 for mine but the only consideration I made was to make sure there were drivers for my raid card. I'm not sure what being on a server platform does for you if you aren't running server services.
post #1632 of 3368
I said that I went with WHS and am liking it, but it doesn't mean that you can't go Win7/8 and use shares for data. It is just what you want to do with it. None of the choices are wrong.
post #1633 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokus View Post

I'm going to be building a server within the next few months and I may go with Windows 7/8. I'm hesitant to go with WHS due to the fact that it is EOL. I don't see how Win7 on somewhat powerful hardware would have any issue doing what I want it to do. Just my two cents.

Windows 7 is EOL too and it's older than WHS2011 so I never understood the reason so many say what you do. It's like you give windows 7 a free pass and hold whs2011 over the flames.

What's different about whs2011 that people feel this way but don't seem to care windows 7 is older ?
post #1634 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Windows 7 is EOL too and it's older than WHS2011 so I never understood the reason so many say what you do. It's like you give windows 7 a free pass and hold whs2011 over the flames.

What's different about whs2011 that people feel this way but don't seem to care windows 7 is older ?

No home user in the history of home computing has ever cared about their OS being EOL until this thread and WHS 2011. rolleyes.gif
post #1635 of 3368
You two are great. So true on the EOL piece. I hadn't thought about that either. I just like what Windows Home Server O/S gives me for a "server" machine. Seems like a 1:1 fit for the job.

Again, for those wanting to use Win 7 (again, as pointed out is more "EOL" so to speak) or Win 8, go for it if you want. Just understand that there are gives and takes, but everyone does things differently based off of their comfort levels. For me, I had never seen WHS, but in the 2 days I have been using it, I really love it for my media server.

Will you not be able to send files to your HTPC with Windows 7 or 8? Of course not. It will work fine. To each their own.
post #1636 of 3368
New odd situation today.

After a reboot, and even though I have it set to autostart, the FlexRAID pool doesn't start automatically. I put in the "15 second" delay (in milliseconds) and set the check box to auto start, but it doesn't.

Also, because of/despite this, the WHS "Server Folders" which I created on the FlexRAID pool fail until I start the pool up manually, and then select "Recreate the missing folder" from inside the WHS Dashboard.

I don't have any data in those folders yet, so I am not out anything.

I am running the 14 day trial at this point. Maybe a limitation? I am also wondering how the "Server Folders" will ever point to the FlexRAID pool if I could even get it autostarted since it has a 15 second delay. By then, the server has given up trying to locate them.

Thoughts? Thanks.
post #1637 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

New odd situation today.

After a reboot, and even though I have it set to autostart, the FlexRAID pool doesn't start automatically. I put in the "15 second" delay (in milliseconds) and set the check box to auto start, but it doesn't.

Also, because of/despite this, the WHS "Server Folders" which I created on the FlexRAID pool fail until I start the pool up manually, and then select "Recreate the missing folder" from inside the WHS Dashboard.

I don't have any data in those folders yet, so I am not out anything.

I am running the 14 day trial at this point. Maybe a limitation? I am also wondering how the "Server Folders" will ever point to the FlexRAID pool if I could even get it autostarted since it has a 15 second delay. By then, the server has given up trying to locate them.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Long shot but make sure you don't have any other software running that uses port 8080. If something starts using that port before Flexraid starts the pool will not start. Happened to me.

post #1638 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I am also wondering how the "Server Folders" will ever point to the FlexRAID pool if I could even get it autostarted since it has a 15 second delay. By then, the server has given up trying to locate them.

Why would you give it a 15s delay then, if you think thats going to be a problem? smile.gif

To battle such issues with folders not being available when Windows looks for them, FlexRAID has an option to re-create server shares for the pool automatically once it started.
If that works with WHS is beyond me, but it does work on a real Windows Server 2008r2 and Server 2012
Edited by Nevcairiel - 9/16/13 at 2:13am
post #1639 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I said that I went with WHS and am liking it, but it doesn't mean that you can't go Win7/8 and use shares for data. It is just what you want to do with it. None of the choices are wrong.
When you say, use shares for data, I assume whs does it differently?

Also, sorry if it sounded like I was trying to say one choice is right or wrong or better or worse as that was not intended. I just wanted to know the differences and why people choose one over the other. I myself have whs but I've never installed it since I've had no compelling reason to.
post #1640 of 3368
post #1641 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Long shot but make sure you don't have any other software running that uses port 8080. If something starts using that port before Flexraid starts the pool will not start. Happened to me.

I am now traveling for work, so I have to wait until Friday when I am back to look into it. The only software running on the box is WHS 2001, MSE (per my instructions back a few posts), and FlexRAID. I haven't put anything else on there at all. Trying to get everything working 100% before moving on to the next step and then the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Why would you give it a 15s delay then, if you think thats going to be a problem? smile.gif

To battle such issues with folders not being available when Windows looks for them, FlexRAID has an option to re-create server shares for the pool automatically once it started.
If that works with WHS is beyond me, but it does work on a real Windows Server 2008r2 and Server 2012

I was just following the Assassin Guide that said to havfe it auto start after 15,000 ms (15 seconds).

Since WHS is based off of "real" server 2008r2, then it is worth a shot. Just surprised that things 1) aren't autostarting, and since they aren't running with WHS initially needs them, 2) the server shares are marked as "missing"
post #1642 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

New odd situation today.

After a reboot, and even though I have it set to autostart, the FlexRAID pool doesn't start automatically. I put in the "15 second" delay (in milliseconds) and set the check box to auto start, but it doesn't.

Also, because of/despite this, the WHS "Server Folders" which I created on the FlexRAID pool fail until I start the pool up manually, and then select "Recreate the missing folder" from inside the WHS Dashboard.

I don't have any data in those folders yet, so I am not out anything.

I am running the 14 day trial at this point. Maybe a limitation? I am also wondering how the "Server Folders" will ever point to the FlexRAID pool if I could even get it autostarted since it has a 15 second delay. By then, the server has given up trying to locate them.

Thoughts? Thanks.

I set mine to 8 seconds because 15 seconds is way too long IMO.

That might be ok for a HDD dude but SSD peeps don't need that amount of delay. I'd go nuts waiting for the drive to show up on reboots as 15 seconds is an eternity to me in "PC wait times" and decidedly unnecessary and unpleasant.
post #1643 of 3368
Even with a shorter delay, it doesn't matter if it never auto starts...
post #1644 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Even with a shorter delay, it doesn't matter if it never auto starts...

Something is amiss. Mine starts up perfectly for over a year now and I restart my server pretty often. It restarts very quick and the flexraid pool shows up in only a few seconds after restart. Your issue is other than the delay time.
Not sure what it could be, as mine just works however I did it.
post #1645 of 3368
Dumb question... I don't have to run a command on system startup, right? It should have been set to start the needed services when I installed FlexRAID and thus fire up the pool after my 15000 ms, right?
post #1646 of 3368
Thread Starter 
yeah. Change it to 8000ms. But it should just fire up. Mine does. It's automatic. I did nothing special. I'd post a video or screen shot if you need additional help. I think you can figure it out. (I never tried the demo I have the paid version)

You might want to PM brahim, or send and email asking about it.
post #1647 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I am now traveling for work, so I have to wait until Friday when I am back to look into it. The only software running on the box is WHS 2001, MSE (per my instructions back a few posts), and FlexRAID. I haven't put anything else on there at all. Trying to get everything working 100% before moving on to the next step and then the next.
I was just following the Assassin Guide that said to havfe it auto start after 15,000 ms (15 seconds).

Since WHS is based off of "real" server 2008r2, then it is worth a shot. Just surprised that things 1) aren't autostarting, and since they aren't running with WHS initially needs them, 2) the server shares are marked as "missing"

No problem on mine with 15 seconds. Haven't heard of anyone else having problems with 15 seconds either.
post #1648 of 3368
Thread Starter 
I think his problem is something else
post #1649 of 3368
Yeah. I'll check the settings again when I get home later this week and see what I find. Maybe there was some other variable. I will check system logs and services too.
post #1650 of 3368
So the Flexraid system service is starting but not the pool?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!