or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 64

post #1891 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Its failed for me when downloading and ripping. Multiple times actually.

When I run it again after th download or rip is done I have no issues.

To each their own I guess. Just giving you my first hand experience.


Yes this makes sense. When downloading the file is changing, also when ripping the file is changing. Any files that changes while it's running will throw an error.
post #1892 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

He goes by spectrumbx in this forum, but here is the explanation of options from this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/mfusicks-how-to-build-an-affordable-30tb-flexraid-media-server-information-requested/600_100#post_23010326

Also, pay close attention to what he says about adding/modifying http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/mfusicks-how-to-build-an-affordable-30tb-flexraid-media-server-information-requested/600_100#post_23011738

Then recall that the normal users around here don't copy/paste to their networked media server (adding). Ripping to your server during a validate/verify should cause a failure based on Brahim's comment (since the output mkv during a rip is a "growing" file ie modifying)

I've also had a validate failure for this reason in my own experience

I thumbed up this. Strong post (and initiative to go back pages and dig out the links)

I remembered it, but too lazy to do this myself so I must thumbs up you for doing it.


This probably should be bumped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

1. http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/04/15/quick-validate-vs-validate/

2. Scheduled entries cannot be edited. It is just much simpler to delete them and create new ones.

3. There is no documented typical scheduling because it all depends on your usage pattern.

Quick-Validate: Reports changes in your array. You can manually run it once here and there to check for changes, but no point in scheduling it.
I mean, changes in your array are expected.

Update: you run it as often as you need to (based on how often data is being changed in your array). You could run it every hour or once a day or once week. It is up to you to decide.
I also recommend running the Update task right after big data changes rather than waiting for the scheduled operation to trigger.

Validate: I run it once a week to detect datarot. You could run it once a month or any other frequency. It all depends on your level of paranoia. Make sure it runs only after an Update operation has run.

Verify: I run it once a month. Again, the frequency here is driven by your level of paranoia. Make sure it runs only after an Update operation has run.

Validate and Verify do the same thing but take a different approach in doing it.
Validate was designed to replace Verify as it runs faster and detects datarot whereas Verify just does bit for bit verification.

If you want more power, check out the FlexRAID Expression Language: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/06/02/the-flexraid-expression-language/

This topic is reminding me to add a task that automatically syncs the RAID first before executing Validate/Verify.
Made notes to Mantis: http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=299

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

Not unless the cam is appending to an existing file (vs a new file).
Changed data will affect Validate and Verify. New data coming in won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

So adding a file won't effect a verify or validate ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

No, it won't.

There you go smile.gif
post #1893 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Guess what I just BOUGHT?

It falls under my HTPC build, so I will post a picture there. LOL

So is MB3 Theater ready for the masses, or are you just somehow testing out (or have a super secret hacked version - LOL)?

I guess I could go to their web site.

Pics of the finished product please biggrin.gif
post #1894 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Strong post (and initiative to go back pages and dig out the links)

This made me feel like a total noob, but I didn't know the new forum software (guess it's not really new any more) still had a "search this thread" option. I recall how much more intuitive searches used to be mad.gif Maybe just greener-grass syndrome, but I've been able to dig up lots more stuff within the forum after finding that "search this thread" option (just found it last week rolleyes.gif)
post #1895 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Can't say why for sure, but what started first Verify or Copy?
The copy started first I believe. Actually, that is more of a sketchy guess at this point. I was a movie ripping fool and stayed up WAY too late one night that I got to the start time of the scheduled jobs. I *THINK* that the copy started first, but I just am not certain any more.

Since then, I just make sure that the copy is either done well before the scheduled jobs run, or I wait until the next day... Then again, I am not doing crazy amounts of rips any more, so it is somewhat of a non-issue.
post #1896 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

I really want to try MBT out, but I need to build a media server first. I hope you'll post a review of your experience with MBT. I'm still on MB 2.6, but looking forward to moving to MBT once I have everything else in place.

$10k question: is it remote control friendly?
post #1897 of 3368
Thread Starter 
On the few times I've actually used or manipulated data while the parity process was running I just accepted a "FAILURE" and kept and eye on it for next time "SUCCESSFUL"

I kinda just did not care much .

Sometimes I RDP in and turn it off , or run it manually later too.

It's annoying to be using your server while it's doing anything parity related. That's one if the major reasons why more fast smaller drives are better than fewer slower larger HDDs for flexraid.

A server composed of slower bigger 4TB drives is unlikely to finish or complete before you want to use server, and it's too long of a time to be hidden in some time period if inactivity like overnight. If you set it to start at midnight it's still 50% in the morning.

I think there is a mild case around here where people assume automatically that bigger is better. At least with flexraid and with regards to parity calculations bigger is definitely not better.
post #1898 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

On the few times I've actually used or manipulated data while the parity process was running I just accepted a "FAILURE" and kept and eye on it for next time "SUCCESSFUL"

I kinda just did not care much .

Sometimes I RDP in and turn it off , or run it manually later too.

It's annoying to be using your server while it's doing anything parity related. That's one if the major reasons why more fast smaller drives are better than fewer slower larger HDDs for flexraid.

A server composed of slower bigger 4TB drives is unlikely to finish or complete before you want to use server, and it's too long of a time to be hidden in some time period if inactivity like overnight. If you set it to start at midnight it's still 50% in the morning.

I think there is a mild case around here where people assume automatically that bigger is better. At least with flexraid and with regards to parity calculations bigger is definitely not better.

where you said '' If you set it to start at midnight it's still 50% in the morning.''
how often does this kinda scan take place, is this like the 1's a week job or is it 1's a month
if not much data has changed does it still take aslong
post #1899 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Yes. Once a week or once a month. Exactly.
post #1900 of 3368
Well, I got my email at 2:00am that the "Update" was successful, and at 2:54am, I got one of these again... Grrrr....

Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{617d962e-e1a3-4901-af36-c9ba4b5fbdf0}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=131072)


That is the first one since the 5:50am and 7:50am ones on Oct 8th (today being Oct 11th)

Oct 8 5:50am
Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{617d962e-e1a3-4901-af36-c9ba4b5fbdf0}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=1)
Oct 8 7:50am
Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{95cbac58-20b1-4e2d-bbe5-79e252c6e218}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=2555914)
Oct 11 2:54am
Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{617d962e-e1a3-4901-af36-c9ba4b5fbdf0}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=131072)

What is interesting is that the first one and the one from today have the same long "string" (GUIID maybe for the specific drive???) and both say "Previous 0". If they are referencing the same drive or something, wouldn't the one from this morning say "Previous=1"?

Still just trying to make heads or tails out of this whole thing. I don't like to just ignore errors and hope for the best until I can prove that everything is actually OK first.
post #1901 of 3368
3 are from the same drive, you can find out which by going into disk management in windows and looking at the paths (change drive letter or path option). I believe you can find it in the FR interface by viewing the data on each individual drive too.

Bill
post #1902 of 3368
@Mfusick, roughly how long does it take to do a validate on your machine 1s a week
post #1903 of 3368
Thread Starter 
It starts at 1AM and usually done by morning. 7am-ish... is my guess. This is the longest it takes (once a month). This is for VERIFY (not validate which is faster)

When I set up my server I did it on a Saturday so for some reason it seems one Sunday morning a month is when I notice it over coffee my server still rocking out and the lights going. Wifey can't watch stuff sunday mornings(and complains tongue.gif )

I run VERIFY once a month (it runs after update) and that is what takes the most time because it does bit for bit verification. That's when I notice it running in the morning.

Otherwise, I never noticed UPDATE or VALIDATE as those complete while I am sleeping and are done in the morning.

Update: I run every 24 hours. I get an email saying "SUCCESS" You are only protected with parity recovery from your last update, so basically for me I would lose anything up to the last 24 hours since my last update. Usually for me any changed I make are in the afternoon/evening and the update runs that night after that- so there is a really short window when a drive fails and I would lose any changes made that day.

Validate: I run this weekly. It runs faster than VERIFY,and detects datarot. I run it after my update (depending on how long that takes effects the entire process). It's not fast, but not as long as VERIFY.

Verify: I do once a month. It's still running in the morning (it runs after the others) and wifey yells "is the server down ?" I really should change this all so it runs during the weekday when we are not home or working rather than a Sunday which we notice this much more. I need to put this on my to do list. A good change I could make and never do. Sometimes I cancel it (restart my server) because I actually do my media management Sunday mornings over coffee typically. I just don't want to wait for it to complete (sometimes it's like 60% when I start or want to use it so I just say screw it and stop it )

There is certainly something to be said for faster HDD's, and fewer smallers ones. Big advantage in the time it takes to do these processes. 3TB seems about the biggest I would want to use. (prefer 7200rpm)

I have for a very long time considered upgrading my 3TB parity drives to 4TB and begin using 4TB data drives too- but after realizing the extra 1TB of data, and the slower speed and performance of the 4TB is going to add a significant amount of time to the processes (hours and hours) I decided I am happier with 3TB drives.

I have bought them cheap for quite some time ($33 per TB or less) so the cost is right, and I do enjoy having something like a VERIFY task takes 1/3 less time.
Edited by Mfusick - 10/11/13 at 8:56am
post #1904 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It starts at 1AM and usually done by morning. 7am-ish... is my guess. This is the longest it takes (once a month).

When I set up my server I did it on a Saturday so for some reason it seems one sunday morning a month is when I noticed over coffee my server still rocking out and the lights going.

I run VERIFY once a month (it runs after update) and that is what takes the most time because it does bit for bit verification. That's when I notice it running in the morning.

Otherwise, I never noticed UPDATE or VALIDATE as those complete while I am sleeping.

Update: I run every 24 hours. I get an email saying "SUCCESS" You are only protected with parity recovery from your last update, so basically for me I would lose anything up to the last 24 hours since my last update. Usually for me any changed I make are in the afternoon/evening and the update runs that night after that- so there is a really short window when a drive fails and I would lose any changes made that day.

Validate: I run this weekly. It runs faster than VERIFY,and detects datarot. I run it after my update (depending on how long that takes effects the entire process)

Verify: I do once a month. It's still running in the morning (it runs after the others)

My updates take literally only minutes if I haven't added or changed much data.

I will have to see how long my next verify and validate take as those are different.
post #1905 of 3368
ok thanks for posting that, id dreed the thought of the weekly validate hammering away for about 12 hours or so
i will have a mix of 2tb green samsung drives and either 3 or 4 tb seagates
i know the 2tb 5400rpm green drives gonna slow the process down abit
will have to look at maybe selling them and buying 3tb seagates
post #1906 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

My updates take literally only minutes if I haven't added or changed much data.

I will have to see how long my next verify and validate take as those are different.

Yeah for sure.

If I don't change anything it does not take long at all tongue.gif

It really matters how much data you add or change. I tend not to change data all the time, (I use a scratch disc on my PC as a container) so when I add something like movies it's not just one movie. It's a bunch of them (few hundred GB) at a time, so sometimes it takes more time. There is many days where nothing changes and the process is superfast biggrin.gif

My guess is I probably use my server and change stuff more than you (or average) but I tend to be excessive in periods of time, but not constantly.

Right now I am making a HORROR movie section,(Halloween time) I have a lot of them but I want to remove them from the general population of movies and contain them all in a dedicated folder for HORROR movies because I find that it's a certain time I want them, and it makes it easier to separate them. So I have been copy and pasting horror movies out of my general HD movies folder into a HORROR folder- and then deleting them. A project like this changes over 1TB of data - so that's probably a good example of when things are pretty extreme for me (or change a lot). But this is something I don't do very often so the majority of the time it's really quick.

VALIDATE seems a lot quicker than VERIFY (I might have this backwards I'll check this weekend when it runs) but I am not sure why this is so.
post #1907 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfuka View Post

ok thanks for posting that, id dreed the thought of the weekly validate hammering away for about 12 hours or so
i will have a mix of 2tb green samsung drives and either 3 or 4 tb seagates
i know the 2tb 5400rpm green drives gonna slow the process down abit
will have to look at maybe selling them and buying 3tb seagates

Here is the main concept:

The 2TB drives are often the slowest (oldest tech) but that does not mean they take the longest because they only need to read/write or process only 2TB of data. So in comparison a 3TB drive that is 33% faster will finish in the exact same time due to the extra 1TB of data that needs to get done. A 4TB that is twice as fast would finish in the same time too.

I find that most modern 7200rpm 3TB (like the $99 TOSHIBA's or Seagates) are indeed 33% or more faster (they do average 160MB/sec and peak over 210MB/sec) so adding the extra size of the 3TB does not really mean extra wait times. 4TB takes a good step backwards in performance and speed, so that alone slows things down but the performance of the drive is not really a big deal. The big deal is the extra 1TB of data which makes a big difference because unlike the 3TB over the 2TB where the extra 1TB gets hidden in the increased performance, the slower performance of the 4TB is spread across the entire 4TB of data and it shows up pretty easy.

4TB drives would work fine, and it's a good compromise if you are limited in SATA ports or HDD space. Also, fewer drives is better with energy consumption so if you are looking at something like a 30TB or 40TB media server the fewer drives used might add up. (it means nothing just 1 drive but an army of them starts to matter )

Since I am with a NORCO 4220 and I have 20 bays I have the abitlity to stick wth 3TB drives and satisfy my space needs. My server would be 48TB of space if I used 16 x 3TB drives and used 4 parity drives so I figured this is good for me. Since I started with 3TB drives (before 4TB were cheap) I just stuck with it. At first I thought I wanted to upgrade but after learning a little more about how it all really works I decided I was good with 3TB
post #1908 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yeah for sure.

If I don't change anything it does not take long at all tongue.gif

It really matters how much data you add or change. I tend not to change data all the time, (I use a scratch disc on my PC as a container) so when I add something like movies it's not just one movie. It's a bunch of them (few hundred GB) at a time, so sometimes it takes more time. There is many days where nothing changes and the process is superfast biggrin.gif

My guess is I probably use my server and change stuff more than you (or average) but I tend to be excessive in periods of time, but not constantly.

Right now I am making a HORROR movie section,(Halloween time) I have a lot of them but I want to remove them from the general population of movies and contain them all in a dedicated folder for HORROR movies because I find that it's a certain time I want them, and it makes it easier to separate them. So I have been copy and pasting horror movies out of my general HD movies folder into a HORROR folder- and then deleting them. A project like this changes over 1TB of data - so that's probably a good example of when things are pretty extreme for me (or change a lot). But this is something I don't do very often so the majority of the time it's really quick.

VALIDATE seems a lot quicker than VERIFY (I might have this backwards I'll check this weekend when it runs) but I am not sure why this is so.

Ok I gotta ask, why not just use something like Mezzmo and create a Horror playlist then you don't have to touch the actual data at all.

Bill
post #1909 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Ok I gotta ask, why not just use something like Mezzmo and create a Horror playlist then you don't have to touch the actual data at all.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I guess the short and easy answer is I don't have any experience with mezzmo like you suggest. I'll try to explain a little more and I'm open to some suggestions as I'm always looking to improve my HTPC experience.

Where to start ??? Hmmm...

The "project" of creating a dedicated horror movie folder stems from wife's sister who often visits and watches them with us. One day we were watching a scary movie (the girls are super babies and scream and close their eyes lol ) and having some drinks and somehow decided that for every scary scene or happening in the movie we would have to take a drink. Kinda like a drinking game. It was fun and stuck so now it's a tradition, we've shared with others, and continue. We call it "Oh Sh|t " night and for every "Oh Sh! T" moment you take a drink. It's just one of the ways my wife and I enjoy this hobby.

Traditionally I've had my media grouped into types. Example: HD movies, Bluray rips, non HD movies, TV shows, Disney /kids etc...

My collection of horror has grown to a size that I'd like to remove it from the population and give it it's own dedicated folder and dedicated category in my front end browser. The reasoning for this is I find times when I want to watch a horror movie is a specific time like oh Sh!t night and I only want to browse horror movies to pick one. It's hard to navigate from bluray to HD to non HD to see them all and the other media just gets in the way. I do understand genres and playlists, but since I'm talking about many TBs of data it just made sense to move if into its own thing.

MB3 theater is pretty awesome with genres btw biggrin.gif but that's a new development since I started this and different story biggrin.gif

I guess I will end up around 6 or 7 TB of horror when I'm all said and done , but I just started so I could be way off. I'm am curious to see the size.

If was a couple hundred gigs I would do the playlist thing but given the size of the data it seemed best to actually seperate it.

On the flip side of things I find few other times I want to watch a horror movie. I don't want all those horror movies mixed into my general collection because it's unlikely I want to see any of them when browsing for a movie to snuggle up and settle in and watch with wifey. When I want a horror I will seek it out specific and only want to see those when browsing. Other times I'd like to see a mix of other stuff like drama and action and comedy and sci fi but no horror.

I don't thing I want to seperate out my whole collection by genre - I think I would prefer to use front end genre mgmt or playlists for that. But horror I do want in its own.

That said ....

Feedback or advice ? Tell me more about mezzmo (or anything else )
post #1910 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post


Feedback or advice ? Tell me more about mezzmo (or anything else )

Don't you use Plex as well as MB3? Plex uses a scaled back version of XBMC's collections and you can easily sort all of your October movies into a collection. I would imagine MB3 has something similar.
post #1911 of 3368
Thread Starter 
I do use plex yeah , but I'm interested in actually grouping all the horror physically together and giving it it's own category.
post #1912 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

My updates take literally only minutes if I haven't added or changed much data.

I will have to see how long my next verify and validate take as those are different.

yup id be interested to see how long yours takes to validate and verify, what HDD's are you using for flexraid assassin
post #1913 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfuka View Post

yup id be interested to see how long yours takes to validate and verify, what HDD's are you using for flexraid assassin

I have a mixture of WD Green, Samsung 5400, Seagate, etc.

I have all the emails that the server sends me. I just need to check my settings to see what time I have everything setup to run. I can't remember the last time I even fussed with the server. Its on autopilot now.
post #1914 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I have a mixture of WD Green, Samsung 5400, Seagate, etc.

I have all the emails that the server sends me. I just need to check my settings to see what time I have everything setup to run. I can't remember the last time I even fussed with the server. Its on autopilot now.

How many HDD's? How much total space? What is your biggest HDD? (is it full ?)
post #1915 of 3368

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I do use plex yeah , but I'm interested in actually grouping all the horror physically together and giving it it's own category.

Mfusick,

I use Media Browser for watching movies, I am still using 2.6 and I know you are now on MB3. But there is a way to sort via genre in MB. Go up to the widget when you are inside your movie folder in MB in WMC and change "Index by" to 'genre'.

Now this will depend on what genres are set in the 'movie.xml' file in the movie folder on your server that MCM creates. I am very picky and don't like all the genres for movies that MCM gets from IMDB so I manually change them in the XML file to the one or two I think most appropriately match the movie. You can make sure all the XML files for your Horror movies says "horror" and you'll have a folder in MB for comedies, drama, action, AND horror, etc.

I've actually set up MB to have the first movie entry the usual way, all movies alphabetical, and then a second entry that has everything sorted by genre. In the MB Configurator just set up 2 different entry points (both pointed to the same parent folder for all your movies). Then when you go into MB in WMC just change the indexing in one and not the other. To leave it this way you can go to the main MB page, go up to the wrench at the top, go over to "Media Options" and ensure "Remember Folder Indexing" is checked.

I can send you some screen shots if you want. Let me know.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
post #1916 of 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Well, I got my email at 2:00am that the "Update" was successful, and at 2:54am, I got one of these again... Grrrr....

Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{617d962e-e1a3-4901-af36-c9ba4b5fbdf0}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=131072)


That is the first one since the 5:50am and 7:50am ones on Oct 8th (today being Oct 11th)

Oct 8 5:50am
Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{617d962e-e1a3-4901-af36-c9ba4b5fbdf0}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=1)
Oct 8 7:50am
Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{95cbac58-20b1-4e2d-bbe5-79e252c6e218}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=2555914)
Oct 11 2:54am
Negative changes for C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{617d962e-e1a3-4901-af36-c9ba4b5fbdf0}: Read Error Rate(previous=0 now=131072)

What is interesting is that the first one and the one from today have the same long "string" (GUIID maybe for the specific drive???) and both say "Previous 0". If they are referencing the same drive or something, wouldn't the one from this morning say "Previous=1"?

Still just trying to make heads or tails out of this whole thing. I don't like to just ignore errors and hope for the best until I can prove that everything is actually OK first.

So I got home last night and started running some tests... I ran S.M.A.R.T. tests using SeaTools and the only drive that I couldn't test was the Parity drive (for some reason it doesn't show up in the list. Which is really odd since it is an actual Seagate drive.) and they all passed. I ran quick tests and they all passed, and then I ran long tests on my SSD and an external 1TB drive that I am using as a backup drive for my photos and home videos and they passed. I am now running long tests on all of the data drives (the five 3TB Toshibas). They are going to be running for a while, but I didn't want to do the test knowing that FlexRAID had an update to do last night.

So I am not sure what the errors are all about yet. Or how to identify the device(s) either. The GUIDs in Disk Manager don't match up to the ones listed in the error. I will have to check into it more later...
post #1917 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

Mfusick,

I use Media Browser for watching movies, I am still using 2.6 and I know you are now on MB3. But there is a way to sort via genre in MB. Go up to the widget when you are inside your movie folder in MB in WMC and change "Index by" to 'genre'.

Now this will depend on what genres are set in the 'movie.xml' file in the movie folder on your server that MCM creates. I am very picky and don't like all the genres for movies that MCM gets from IMDB so I manually change them in the XML file to the one or two I think most appropriately match the movie. You can make sure all the XML files for your Horror movies says "horror" and you'll have a folder in MB for comedies, drama, action, AND horror, etc.

I've actually set up MB to have the first movie entry the usual way, all movies alphabetical, and then a second entry that has everything sorted by genre. In the MB Configurator just set up 2 different entry points (both pointed to the same parent folder for all your movies). Then when you go into MB in WMC just change the indexing in one and not the other. To leave it this way you can go to the main MB page, go up to the wrench at the top, go over to "Media Options" and ensure "Remember Folder Indexing" is checked.

I can send you some screen shots if you want. Let me know.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I love screen shots !

* I do think I know what you are saying though biggrin.gif I just love seeing peoples set ups. You use chocolate theme ?
post #1918 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

So I got home last night and started running some tests... I ran S.M.A.R.T. tests using SeaTools and the only drive that I couldn't test was the Parity drive (for some reason it doesn't show up in the list. Which is really odd since it is an actual Seagate drive.) and they all passed. I ran quick tests and they all passed, and then I ran long tests on my SSD and an external 1TB drive that I am using as a backup drive for my photos and home videos and they passed. I am now running long tests on all of the data drives (the five 3TB Toshibas). They are going to be running for a while, but I didn't want to do the test knowing that FlexRAID had an update to do last night.

So I am not sure what the errors are all about yet. Or how to identify the device(s) either. The GUIDs in Disk Manager don't match up to the ones listed in the error. I will have to check into it more later...

An option would be to disable parity, (format your parity drive for windows and bring it on line) then test it. Then set it back up as a parity drive. You would lose parity during that process though. Alternatively you could remove it and designate it as a data drive after, and use another drive for parity too.

Just a thought. The reason why you can't test is likely because of how flexraid formats it- and removes it from system.
post #1919 of 3368

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

[quote name="Wilky13" url="/t/1438027/mfusicks-how-to-build-an-affordable-30tb-flexraid-media-server-information-requested/1900_100#post_23828439"]Mfusick, I use Media Browser for watching movies, I am still using 2.6 and I know you are now on MB3. But there is a way to sort via genre in MB. Go up to the widget when you are inside your movie folder in MB in WMC and change "Index by" to 'genre'. Now this will depend on what genres are set in the 'movie.xml' file in the movie folder on your server that MCM creates. I am very picky and don't like all the genres for movies that MCM gets from IMDB so I manually change them in the XML file to the one or two I think most appropriately match the movie. You can make sure all the XML files for your Horror movies says "horror" and you'll have a folder in MB for comedies, drama, action, AND horror, etc. I've actually set up MB to have the first movie entry the usual way, all movies alphabetical, and then a second entry that has everything sorted by genre. In the MB Configurator just set up 2 different entry points (both pointed to the same parent folder for all your movies). Then when you go into MB in WMC just change the indexing in one and not the other. To leave it this way you can go to the main MB page, go up to the wrench at the top, go over to "Media Options" and ensure "Remember Folder Indexing" is checked. I can send you some screen shots if you want. Let me know.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL][/quote]I love screen shots !* I do think I know what you are saying though :D I just love seeing peoples set ups. You use chocolate theme ?

I use Diamond theme. I really how it minimizes (but still keeps visible a lot of the metadata) but doesn't totally coverup backdrop art.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
post #1920 of 3368
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

I use Diamond theme. I really how it minimizes (but still keeps visible a lot of the metadata) but doesn't totally coverup backdrop art.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Wait until you see MB3T with live video backdrops biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!