or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 65

post #1921 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Wait until you see MB3T with live video backdrops biggrin.gif

Quiet you!!!! biggrin.gif

(just waiting for the release)
post #1922 of 3346
So I went ahead and purchased flexraid and so far it's pretty good. I like the front end, very friendly. Had to do some web searches to get it going though as it isn't exactly plug and play but far from rocket science.

Only thing that is bothering me right now is the slight latency issue. Is this normal? Is there a setting to curb this behavior?
post #1923 of 3346
Hrm? There's latency involved when I read or write to the array. Throughput is fine though.
post #1924 of 3346
Also, and this is just a minor annoyance, if you move your TEMP and TMP environment variables to the array some apps don't like it and won't work properly. Tsmuxer for example. Maybe there's a flexraid setting to resolve this but I haven't found it.
post #1925 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Hrm? There's latency involved when I read or write to the array. Throughput is fine though.

Are your drives set to spin down and maybe the latency is just waiting for the particular drive to spin back up?

Bill
post #1926 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Are your drives set to spin down and maybe the latency is just waiting for the particular drive to spin back up?

Bill

Winner winner chicken dinner !
post #1927 of 3346
As painful as it was to admit for many many many years I am a lifelong Bengals fan.

Bill

PS: As a Bengals fan LAST weekend was GREAT tongue.gif
post #1928 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

As painful as it was to admit for many many many years I am a lifelong Bengals fan.

Bill

PS: As a Bengals fan LAST weekend was GREAT tongue.gif

Ended brady's TD streak mad.gif Heck of a defense you guys got. I think you are in control of your division this year. Ravens are weaker, Pittsburgh just plain sucks (thank god) and the browns are the browns.

We might rematch in the playoffs. Denver scares me the most though.
post #1929 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Ended brady's TD streak mad.gif Heck of a defense you guys got. I think you are in control of your division this year. Ravens are weaker, Pittsburgh just plain sucks (thank god) and the browns are the browns.

We might rematch in the playoffs. Denver scares me the most though.

Our defense can do amazing things like that and then in the next split second can have penalties that cost us games mad.gif Denver should scare everyone, lol, their match up next week with Indy should be fun to watch for sure.

Bill
post #1930 of 3346
Thread Starter 
I am looking forward to that one. That one should be a big one, and Colts are a good team so they stand a chance. The other good game is Baltimore Pittsburg, that seems to always be a good one. PATRIOTS vs BRONCOS should be a whopper next month, that might be game of the year!

Brady vs Manning is always epic.
post #1931 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

So for those of you using MakeMKV, has anyone had success, or troubles, ripping the Star Wars blu-rays? I got EP-I to rip, it EP-II gets errors and just keeps churning despite the drive not spinning. Did the same thing on both my desktop and mg server. Seems like most information is from a couple if years ago and it was thought that MakeMKV would be patched to work, or about forced subtitles. Is that causing a problem? I don't select subtitles at all. Should I be (just wondering about "forced")? It sounds like those are requirements.
Anyway, back to Star Wars. I tried ripping the disc with AnyDVD as an ISO, and then selected that ISO as the source for MakeMKV, and the same error happened. I've managed to get through every other disc, but these are supposed to be difficult. Not sure if it matters, but I am selecting "angle 1" and the discs are from the full 6 movie collection that looks like a little book with (crummy) drawn/painted "artwork" (some looks like a 10year old did it) and not the individual movies or the set of the first 3 and then the separate set of the next 3. I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but I thought I would mention it.

So my two questions are, 1) anyone know how to get the Star Wars movies ripped, and 2) should I (must I) rip subtitles ever even if I don't normally use them when watching movies?
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I've ripped about 145 blu rays now. I picked subs on the ones that I remember having the above mentioned foreign or alien languages. Hopefully you aren't saying that I need to go back and re-rip everything. eek.gif


One thing that might upset you after all your ripping is that the MB3T has the ability to do live video back drops instead of just pictures, so if you rip a backdrop menu or video from your disc it will play behind the HD overlay in MB3T (at least that's being developed in the beta and seems to work really well ) Really cool stuff, you can probably download or find the theme videos elsewhere, but when ripping you could rip them directly too yourself.

I wish I knew how to take a video screen capture as a live video, always thought that would be helpful for a guide or advice on PC's.
post #1932 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post


One thing that might upset you after all your ripping is that the MB3T has the ability to do live video back drops instead of just pictures, so if you rip a backdrop menu or video from your disc it will play behind the HD overlay in MB3T (at least that's being developed in the beta and seems to work really well ) Really cool stuff, you can probably download or find the theme videos elsewhere, but when ripping you could rip them directly too yourself.

I wish I knew how to take a video screen capture as a live video, always thought that would be helpful for a guide or advice on PC's.

I haven't begun ripping my Blu's yet since I am rebuilding my server from scratch from the ground up, but this would be very helpful to know, depending on what matter the disc is ripped (folder structure or MKV).

Btw for video screen capture software there's a well known program called Camtasia: Camtasia
post #1933 of 3346
Yeah, I figured something like that was going to happen. Its ok. I am fine with static backgrounds. If they become popular enough, it will be something that can be downloaded from the fan sites (even if they aren't the ones from the movies themselves).

Oh, I DID get Star Wars ripped. The only thing that I did different was I selected the subtitles too, and they all ripped fine. I went back and only selected the movie without subtitles, and it would fail again. Odd, but at least it got done.
post #1934 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I am looking forward to that one. That one should be a big one, and Colts are a good team so they stand a chance. The other good game is Baltimore Pittsburg, that seems to always be a good one. PATRIOTS vs BRONCOS should be a whopper next month, that might be game of the year!

Brady vs Manning is always epic.

After the last Steelers game, I am hopeful they now have their mojo back!
post #1935 of 3346
Thread Starter 
That's funny ^ I remember having trouble with Star Wars but I got it to work but did not remember how.
post #1936 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

After the last Steelers game, I am hopeful they now have their mojo back!

It's all done. #7 is on it's way.
post #1937 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

It's all done. #7 is on it's way.

You are a Steeler fan too ? I always wondered if Steeler fans call him "Rapistberger" like the rest of the country ? tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

After the last Steelers game, I am hopeful they now have their mojo back!

1-5 is better than 0-6 I guess. I am not sure you can catch the Ravens or the Bengals though. Plus, you have to play them all a bunch of times, plus New England biggrin.gif Not a great year for Steeler football. But my friends that are giants fans are even worse off. eek.gif

I guess if the steelers win out they probably would win the division... 10-6 will win it I think. If the steelers can win all of their division games left I would think they have an honest shot at winning the division.

I am not sure if Bengals are actually good, or if NE just sucked that day (rain did not help) ???

How can NE suck so bad vs Cincinnati , then beat the undefeated Saints this weekend ?

I guess that is the NFL. Jacksonville was supposed to be the worse team, and the Broncos the best right ? That game was almost competitive (almost)
post #1938 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Are your drives set to spin down and maybe the latency is just waiting for the particular drive to spin back up?

Bill
Can you tell me where this setting is located? If you are talking about windows drive sleep, then no that is disabled. What I experience is anywhere from 1/2 to a full 2 seconds of latency. Kinda feels like using thumb drives in a raid array, incredible throughout but latency is why people don't use them.

I also can't seem to keep my system running reliably when I switch the location of windows system folders over to the array. I guess it wasn't really meant to do this? Only meant for storage of data?
post #1939 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post


One thing that might upset you after all your ripping is that the MB3T has the ability to do live video back drops instead of just pictures, so if you rip a backdrop menu or video from your disc it will play behind the HD overlay in MB3T (at least that's being developed in the beta and seems to work really well ) Really cool stuff, you can probably download or find the theme videos elsewhere, but when ripping you could rip them directly too yourself.

I wish I knew how to take a video screen capture as a live video, always thought that would be helpful for a guide or advice on PC's.
Do a full rip and the backdrop file is normally in the 100-300MB range.
post #1940 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Do a full rip and the backdrop file is normally in the 100-300MB range.

Some are. Some are only 25mb. It all depends on resolution and on length before they repeat.

I'll throw up some screen shots (videos) when I can. Played around quite a bit yesterday.
post #1941 of 3346
What are you using to rip the backgrounds? Do they need to be in a specific format for MB3? I could try to find them using MakeMKV, but don't want to go that route if they need to be in some other format or if there is an easier way to find them from all of the other files.
post #1942 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Mkv is fine. You just put the video file in a folder called "backdrops" inside you movie folder and it plays .

There is a plugin planned to do tv shows automatically but I think there might be some uncertainty of legality with movies so the functionality will exist but you might need to source the video files on your own. I'm not really sure though.....

It's still early. Time will tell.
post #1943 of 3346
Yea video backdrops change the game, especially in MBT they add a lot to the experience.
post #1944 of 3346
So, what's the latest with MB3 classic. Is it ready for primetime -- good enough to take over day-to-day duties from MB2?
post #1945 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

Yea video backdrops change the game, especially in MBT they add a lot to the experience.

I agree biggrin.gif

Really is a game changer. What is the deal with movie backgrounds ? Is there a legality issue with scraping them ? Do they need to be sourced individually ? I assume if MB3T (or classic) has the ability to play a video file in a folder called backdrops the individual users could place any video file they want in there. I am sure there will be third party scrapers, or collections available- but not sure if a plugin could do it ? Are plugins open to development by anyone ?

I know XBMC runs into some issues with stuff like ICEfilms, or the plugins that help you steal UFC fights and what not. How does MB handle that sort of stuff. It has always seemed that MB was more concerned with remaining clean and legal than many others, and I am not sure the details on the "background" videos - is that allowed? Is sharing of background videos something that would be technically illegal or against copyright laws? In which case it would need to be private or 3rd party ?

I guess technically speaking, going to the store and paying $20 for a DVD or a BR and then copying it to your HDD is already illegal rolleyes.gif

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that Luke (and others)
post #1946 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

So, what's the latest with MB3 classic. Is it ready for primetime -- good enough to take over day-to-day duties from MB2?

I don't see much difference between the two. For me, if you have MB2 set up a way you like it (with plugins, themes and such) you might not like the small change. Overall MB3C is very stable, and it's very much like MB2. If you like MB2 you should like MB3C. I think MB3C will continue to get better with more themes, and plugins. One good reason for MB3 is to use the "server" client and allow transcoding- and also to obtain a uniform platform on your android, iOS, and Roku in addition to your MS based HTPC.

MB3 is still beta but the classic seems to work well enough. If you discover an area you want improved I would encourage you to drop a line at the MB forums and to Luke, now is the time to speak up or forever hold your peace biggrin.gif

MB3C is certainly good enough to warrant a test drive.
post #1947 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I agree biggrin.gif

Really is a game changer. What is the deal with movie backgrounds ? Is there a legality issue with scraping them ? Do they need to be sourced individually ? I assume if MB3T (or classic) has the ability to play a video file in a folder called backdrops the individual users could place any video file they want in there. I am sure there will be third party scrapers, or collections available- but not sure if a plugin could do it ? Are plugins open to development by anyone ?

I know XBMC runs into some issues with stuff like ICEfilms, or the plugins that help you steal UFC fights and what not. How does MB handle that sort of stuff. It has always seemed that MB was more concerned with remaining clean and legal than many others, and I am not sure the details on the "background" videos - is that allowed? Is sharing of background videos something that would be technically illegal or against copyright laws? In which case it would need to be private or 3rd party ?

I guess technically speaking, going to the store and paying $20 for a DVD or a BR and then copying it to your HDD is already illegal rolleyes.gif

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that Luke (and others)
Could you use movie trailers as video backdrops? I'm not sure about legal issues concerning those either but I would guess it would be easier since they are already published. It would then be cool if you could fade the rest of UI out of the way somehow and see the full trailer without going all hoops and loops...
post #1948 of 3346
I would think that you could put any video in the "backgrounds" folder and it would work based off of Mfusick's information above. Trailers could be an easier option for some vs. ripping.
post #1949 of 3346
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I would think that you could put any video in the "backgrounds" folder and it would work based off of Mfusick's information above. Trailers could be an easier option for some vs. ripping.
I'm not too familiar with the current state of trailer providers but I guess you could automate the whole trailer downloading for the whole movie collection much like scraping meta data. It would be even better if the movie industry picked up this video backdrop concept and started producing clips especially for this purpose (of course for their own commercial movie services)

At the moment trailers would be the most representative clips available, I doubt anything produced by average users could achieve similar quality. Back in the days of Meedio we already had full trailer downloading capability combined to pre-movie trailer play. Plex has a Apple Trailers channel, do any of the current media centers provide trailer downloading?

And you could even go for live streaming since it seems the biggest official trailer sites are now dropping the download option...
Edited by henris - 10/15/13 at 10:52am
post #1950 of 3346
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by henris View Post

Could you use movie trailers as video backdrops? I'm not sure about legal issues concerning those either but I would guess it would be easier since they are already published. It would then be cool if you could fade the rest of UI out of the way somehow and see the full trailer without going all hoops and loops...

You sure could. Any video file you place in the backdrops folder would play. Trailers are open public and free. But they are less cool, I probably would prefer nice album art.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!