or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 76

post #2251 of 3370
Thread Starter 
hehehehe...

Got a new toy in the mail:tongue.gif



post #2252 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

hehehehe...

Got a new toy in the mail:tongue.gif




Don;t get too excited. huge disappointment (esp. if you use iOS). hopefully over time there'll be a decent ecosystem and it will prompt Apple to revamp airplay. For $35 it's a toy worth having
post #2253 of 3370
Thread Starter 
I have not even opened it yet... Been ripping media and playing with a new theme in MB3. I friggin love how the disc spins... and slides back and forth in front of the posters. Cool beans.
Some cool stuff coming. Seems like MB3 project just keeps getting better everyday.

now I am Streaming the game, surfing AVS and copying some movies. Three monitors is where it is at. and... Who knew NFL was free with VPN. eek.gif
post #2254 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have not even opened it yet...

you only need 5 mins to set it up and exhaust the entire feature set:D
post #2255 of 3370
Apparently Mark HATES the Chromecast. tongue.gif

Lots (and I mean a LOT) of people love it, but if there is some issues with Apple compatibility, then I could see why some people would not like it obviously. Of course I have to ask, if you are an Apple user, why don't you have an AppleTV. I thought that once you bought an Apple product, people weren't allowed, by some secret subliminal marketing, to buy non-Apple products and if you didn't have the latest and greatest Apple everything, you were no longer "cool." tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Just teasing the Apple people, not directly Mark. Sorry Mark, just messing around.
post #2256 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I thought that once you bought an Apple product, people weren't allowed, by some secret subliminal marketing, to buy non-Apple products and if you didn't have the latest and greatest Apple everything, you were no longer "cool." .
They need to be chanting Steeeeeve whilst staring dewey-eyed at his picture to give a truly accurate image of the Appleistas.
post #2257 of 3370
I got a Chromecast for a secret santa gift. It plays YouTube and Netflix better than my AMD E-350 HTPC, but that's about it.
post #2258 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Apparently Mark HATES the Chromecast. tongue.gif

Lots (and I mean a LOT) of people love it, but if there is some issues with Apple compatibility, then I could see why some people would not like it obviously. Of course I have to ask, if you are an Apple user, why don't you have an AppleTV. I thought that once you bought an Apple product, people weren't allowed, by some secret subliminal marketing, to buy non-Apple products and if you didn't have the latest and greatest Apple everything, you were no longer "cool." tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Just teasing the Apple people, not directly Mark. Sorry Mark, just messing around.

LOL

I do have 3 AppleTV's, because I'm pretty heavily invest in iTunes ecosystem: lots of music and music videos. As I'm a cord-cutter, I buy a TV shows I can't get OTA too and use it for Netflix and HuluPlus. I have to say I like the ATV UI (especially the app to app consitentcy), if only it could stream mkv it would be an almost perfect set top box for me.

I'm not a fan-bot; although, i do own and iPhone and iPad too. i have a mac mini and MBPro (both running Windows).

I have high hopes for Chromecast, but with only 3 apps supporting it on iOS (when I got it some months ago, it's not much use). it's probably way more useful to Droid users and I thing the casting is way better technology that streaming to a device and then mirroring that on an ATV. Hopefully Apple will adopt this.
post #2259 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

They need to be chanting Steeeeeve whilst staring dewey-eyed at his picture to give a truly accurate image of the Appleistas.

It's "Steeeeve RIP' now
post #2260 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

It's "Steeeeve RIP' now
To some of them he is still on this existential plane.
post #2261 of 3370
"Who knew NFL was free with VPN".


How do you get this to work???
post #2262 of 3370
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrays1 View Post

"Who knew NFL was free with VPN".


How do you get this to work???

There was a thread about the sunday ticket explaining it. The short answer is NFL is free to steam in certain parts of Europe because NFL wants to expand there at some point, and they wish to gain viewership so they make it free. You can connect with a VPN to one of those places and steam the game like you live there.
post #2263 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Thanks for reply. Have you tried with WMC? I ask, because I tried VNC is unusable (even on LAN). Screen is nearly always blank and I have to constantly refresh. I haven't installed the mirror driver, as I don't want to risk changing anything to do with graphics and no idea if it even works on 8.1 yet
With teamviewer and wmc, just make wmc window size anything but full screen and it'll show up.
post #2264 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

With teamviewer and wmc, just make wmc window size anything but full screen and it'll show up.

thanks
post #2265 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Apparently Mark HATES the Chromecast. tongue.gif

Lots (and I mean a LOT) of people love it, but if there is some issues with Apple compatibility, then I could see why some people would not like it obviously. Of course I have to ask, if you are an Apple user, why don't you have an AppleTV?

Or at least use XBMC tongue.gif since it's an airplay target for audio
post #2266 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Thanks for reply. Have you tried with WMC?
I don't directly use WMC, only indirectly smile.gif

XBMC in fullscreen has this issue as well. I suppose my issues are typically underneath the frontend, but I could see this being slightly problematic when trying to finagle the frontend settings in WMC, MB3, XBMC, etc, etc. I always allow it to send keyboard combinations, so alt+tab or the "win" key bring up the start menu or switch away from fullscreen to the desktop. Typically I'm trying to check something in the system tray, but as jbcain mentioned switching out of fullscreen works also. For me, that is a matter of pressing "\" in xbmc. I think the alt+enter (usually reserved for app switching) toggles fullscreen in WMC. There's also win+enter which does the flip3d animated app switching. If all fail, you can send "ctrl+alt+del" from the teamviewer menu then your screen should definitely show up. However, I have to brag that I've not had to remotely troubleshoot my frontend in over a year. The two times I've used this for ondemand troubleshooting of XBMC (demand being from the wife) were cases were XBMC had locked up and forced closed but kept alive in task manager. Teamviewer->task manager->end task for XBMC->wait 5 seconds->launch XBMC biggrin.gif Try using the windowed shortcut, and better use something like "media only mode" in settings and Patchou's MCThemer to hide any unnecessary, possibly duplicate, or confusing menus from WMC
post #2267 of 3370
post #2268 of 3370
if the pc you remoted into is running headless at the time youll still catch a bluescreen hdcp error on protected cable channels
post #2269 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

if the pc you remoted into is running headless at the time youll still catch a bluescreen hdcp error on protected cable channels

so your is to use VNC or RDP to pipe livetv through an internet connection? I was thinking of a remote troubleshooting or file transfer step and I love the simplicity for that.

if the intent is livetv, could you share your experience so far? I've been interested in this but never invested any time in which ones work. The following possibilities come to mind
  • RDP
  • VNC - perhaps test logmein or splashtop to compare results with teamviewer
  • VPN - ~not sure about this one
  • android - Remote Media Center Live TV

I get that the last one sucks to "test" for $8, and is no good if you are an iOS or WP guy
post #2270 of 3370
no no no. he was talking about using rdp/vnc/remote to help someone troubleshoot livetv playback at another location. i'm just letting him know, that if while doing this, and he switches to a copy protected station, it'll toss out the HDCP error.
post #2271 of 3370
Can you run mb3 with ir remote only or must you have key and mouse? After setup I mean.
post #2272 of 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

There was a thread about the sunday ticket explaining it. The short answer is NFL is free to steam in certain parts of Europe because NFL wants to expand there at some point, and they wish to gain viewership so they make it free. You can connect with a VPN to one of those places and steam the game like you live there.

Must be the first time in history there's a reason for folks in the U.S. to VPN-pretend they are in Europe in order to access some online service. Other than hiding their IP in order not to get caught downloading. rolleyes.gif
post #2273 of 3370
I myself would also like to watch NFL games if I knew how. I am American living in OZ and cant watch almost any NFL games.frown.gif
post #2274 of 3370
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Can you run mb3 with ir remote only or must you have key and mouse? After setup I mean.

Standard WMC remote works for me. I got the eBay HP IR to USB one.
post #2275 of 3370
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I myself would also like to watch NFL games if I knew how. I am American living in OZ and cant watch almost any NFL games.frown.gif

NFL game pass on www.NFL.com
post #2276 of 3370
Is that really free? My sat provider is no longer carrying ESPN America HD so I no longer have any NFL or baseball frown.gif this would be a decent replacement.
post #2277 of 3370
Thread Starter 
The fee is dependent where you live, and how long you want. The first week is free to try. It works well. Some areas it is free. Not sure about where you are located.
post #2278 of 3370
Santa came early to my house.

post #2279 of 3370
Thread Starter 
Santa fit that into his bag ? NICE biggrin.gif
post #2280 of 3370

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Thanks for reply. Have you tried with WMC? I ask, because I tried VNC is unusable (even on LAN). Screen is nearly always blank and I have to constantly refresh. I haven't installed the mirror driver, as I don't want to risk changing anything to do with graphics and no idea if it even works on 8.1 yet
With teamviewer and wmc, just make wmc window size anything but full screen and it'll show up.

I use the windows default Remote Desktop on my laptop to remote into my HTPC. I also use RDP on my iPad to remote in. I do it all the time while my wife is watching tv in WMC on the HTPC. You just have to create a second user in the HTPC and you use that when you remote in or out (just like extenders like an xbox 360 does).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!