or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.! - Page 77

post #2281 of 3342
Mfusick, I got to thank you for giving me that little nudge I needed to purchase the case. As Mfusick already knows, I bought the case with a 20% off Norco promo. An $80 savings with the SAS cables. Everyone knows how much Mfusick loves a good deal.

I got my motherboard and drives transferred over today. Also a new Seasonic 650w went into this build. The modular power supply worked out beautifully with 5 molex connectors and no extra cables cluttering the case and the cable lengths were perfect.

I switched from Ibm m1015 in the old case to a pair of Dell Perc H310s. As many know, I already had a little experience flashing these cards. I went with the Dells for better cable management.

I still can't believe how clean the inside of this thing is. My old build had power, fan and sata wires everywhere.

post #2282 of 3342
Only thing I wish the Norco offered was USB3 on the front. I also can't believe how clean and organized the inside of the case can be.

Bill
post #2283 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

I still can't believe how clean the inside of this thing is. My old build had power, fan and sata wires everywhere.

That is some nice cable management

Did you wrap the 24pin once around the PSU?

Have you been running the Xeon with the stock cooler?
post #2284 of 3342
whats it look like with the case covers on? j/k j/k.
post #2285 of 3342

Mornin'

 

I need to upgrade the mobo and CPU in a server I built for a client. It will be a switch from an Intel G8xx to an AMD A8-6600 on an A88X chipset mobo.

 

 

 

This will likely require a fresh start so I will replace the current WHS2011 with WSE2012 and create a real domain.

 

Now, this server is running Flexraid. What is the best way to preserve the Flexraid setup during this process? 

 

I am going to keep the data and parity hard drives exactly as they are now. Can I save the Flexraid configuration and just start it up again after having reinstalled Flexraid on the new O/S?

 

Many thanks

post #2286 of 3342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Mfusick, I got to thank you for giving me that little nudge I needed to purchase the case. As Mfusick already knows, I bought the case with a 20% off Norco promo. An $80 savings with the SAS cables. Everyone knows how much Mfusick loves a good deal.

I got my motherboard and drives transferred over today. Also a new Seasonic 650w went into this build. The modular power supply worked out beautifully with 5 molex connectors and no extra cables cluttering the case and the cable lengths were perfect.

I switched from Ibm m1015 in the old case to a pair of Dell Perc H310s. As many know, I already had a little experience flashing these cards. I went with the Dells for better cable management.

I still can't believe how clean the inside of this thing is. My old build had power, fan and sata wires everywhere.


NICE biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Mornin'

I need to upgrade the mobo and CPU in a server I built for a client. It will be a switch from an Intel G8xx to an AMD A8-6600 on an A88X chipset mobo.





This will likely require a fresh start so I will replace the current WHS2011 with WSE2012 and create a real domain.

Now, this server is running Flexraid. What is the best way to preserve the Flexraid setup during this process? 

I am going to keep the data and parity hard drives exactly as they are now. Can I save the Flexraid configuration and just start it up again after having reinstalled Flexraid on the new O/S?

Many thanks


Just clean installed to a new SSD for OS (WHS2011) and I did basically nothing other than take out old SSD, put in new one, put in WHS disc and install WHS, then download and install Flexraid. Then I registered it with my key, and set up my PPU and DRU drives in a totally new build. It had to run it's parity calculation and it totally erased my PPU drive in process - but no issues at all. FLEXraid is up and running fine, no data loss or problems to be reported.

I actually used a new PPU drive (and kept the old one untouched) just in case something happened. I then reformatted the OLD PPU and added it as a DRU data drive empty (took a minute) Some weird thing in me told me I should do that in case something bad happened. But it did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Only thing I wish the Norco offered was USB3 on the front. I also can't believe how clean and organized the inside of the case can be.

Bill

I do a agree a little but my mobo has them on the back, and I don't seem to need it with a server.
post #2287 of 3342
Well my plan was to avoid having to rebuild the parity drives because it takes so long, but maybe that is unavoidable.
post #2288 of 3342
Thread Starter 
I think it is, but honestly I did not want to put in the effort to learn or figure it out. I just went with what I knew, the "easy" way and started from the begining. I accepted the 10.5 hours it would take to re-run my parity. It was done the next day. The effort required to learn, research, and figure out the way to avoid the parity update was not worth it to me. I'd rather just let it run overnight.
post #2289 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

That is some nice cable management

Did you wrap the 24pin once around the PSU?

Have you been running the Xeon with the stock cooler?

Yes, Been using the stock cooler.

Here is a better picture of the 24 pin. I tucked the slack behind the power supply, then routed over the top.
post #2290 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Mornin'



This will likely require a fresh start so I will replace the current WHS2011 with WSE2012 and create a real domain.

Now, this server is running Flexraid. What is the best way to preserve the Flexraid setup during this process? 

I am going to keep the data and parity hard drives exactly as they are now. Can I save the Flexraid configuration and just start it up again after having reinstalled Flexraid on the new O/S?

Many thanks

Yes, you can. You save your flexraid db, send that data to another computer. reload your system, reload flexraid, put in your key, put your ppu and dru drives in the same fashion as before, reload your DB file. no rebuild nec.
post #2291 of 3342
If you just import PPU1, it will grab the configuration.
post #2292 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

If you just import PPU1, it will grab the configuration.

CAN YOU ELABORATE?
post #2293 of 3342
SURE I CAN!!!

Create a new configuration, one option on the create dialog box should be "import existing configuration". Just specify the path to PPU1, and it should automatically import the rest of the drives as well.
All the configuration settings such as reserve space, drive letter, auto start, etc should also come over.
post #2294 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

SURE I CAN!!!

Create a new configuration, one option on the create dialog box should be "import existing configuration". Just specify the path to PPU1, and it should automatically import the rest of the drives as well.
All the configuration settings such as reserve space, drive letter, auto start, etc should also come over.
Bwahahhahaha, didn't see my caps was on. Good on you! Thanks for the walk through. I'm sure it'll help many people save many hours. Thanks bud
post #2295 of 3342
Thread Starter 
Learn something new everyday... biggrin.gif
post #2296 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

I use the windows default Remote Desktop on my laptop to remote into my HTPC. I also use RDP on my iPad to remote in. I do it all the time while my wife is watching tv in WMC on the HTPC. You just have to create a second user in the HTPC and you use that when you remote in or out (just like extenders like an xbox 360 does).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm.. I must be missing something. When I do it, it boots the user running WMC out of their session. do you have a hacked RDC dll?
post #2297 of 3342

Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

I use the windows default Remote Desktop on my laptop to remote into my HTPC. I also use RDP on my iPad to remote in. I do it all the time while my wife is watching tv in WMC on the HTPC. You just have to create a second user in the HTPC and you use that when you remote in or out (just like extenders like an xbox 360 does).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm.. I must be missing something. When I do it, it boots the user running WMC out of their session. do you have a hacked RDC dll?

Actually, yes I do. My HTPC is actually Windows 7 Home Premium which doesn't natively support Remote Desktop. I remember having to go on the web and down load a dll and make it active. After that it worked. Let me see if I can find the instructions....

Edit: I used these guides:
http://blog.jordanhopfner.com/2012/01/09/enable-remote-desktop-connection-on-windows-7-home-premium-sp1/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MEl4FvKC8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Edited by Wilky13 - 12/22/13 at 10:32pm
post #2298 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilky13 View Post

Actually, yes I do. My HTPC is actually Windows 7 Home Premium which doesn't natively support Remote Desktop. I remember having to go on the web and down load a dll and make it active. After that it worked. Let me see if I can find the instructions....

Edit: I used these guides:
http://blog.jordanhopfner.com/2012/01/09/enable-remote-desktop-connection-on-windows-7-home-premium-sp1/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MEl4FvKC8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have that working on one of my other machines on Win7, but need a win8.1 solution

Regards

Mark
post #2299 of 3342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post

Yes, Been using the stock cooler.

Here is a better picture of the 24 pin. I tucked the slack behind the power supply, then routed over the top.

So what is the verdict ? Happy ?
post #2300 of 3342
Extremely Happy!!

I put Silenx fans in a 120mm fan wall. I don't even have the 80mm rear fans turned on (80mm silenx fans on order) I have noticed that my drive temps have dropped compared to the old Fractal Design case.

The two Dell cards work out great with this design, I can see you needing longer cables with the M1015. I notice the backpanes may be a little bit out of alignment, A couple of the trays are a bit hard to remove. As much as I plan on changing drives, I will probably leave it as it is.

I am still in search of a program that will turn on the drive activity lights. I do remember seeing one in the past, I just can't remember what program it was. I will just label them like in the past and make an excel spreadsheet so I can track the drives.

Speaking of activity lights, I kind of remember you mentioning that yours stopped working when you switched to the Dells. Are they working now?
post #2301 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Steb View Post


I am still in search of a program that will turn on the drive activity lights. I do remember seeing one in the past, I just can't remember what program it was. I will just label them like in the past and make an excel spreadsheet so I can track the drives.

I'd like to find one of these too
post #2302 of 3342
My drive activity lights all work but the one with my SSD enclosure stays on all the time. I dont think the drives go to sleep like they did with my old Sans Digital enclosure.

Bill
post #2303 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

My drive activity lights all work but the one with my SSD enclosure stays on all the time. I dont think the drives go to sleep like they did with my old Sans Digital enclosure.

Bill

Here is how to get your drives to sleep.

Download the latest driver from here.
http://www.lsi.com/channel/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9211-8i.aspx

Open LSI_SAS2.INF with notepad
Find the [Shutdown_addreg] section.

Add this line.
Code:
HKR,"StorPort","EnableIdlePowerManagement",0x00010001,0x01

Re-install the new driver.
Set the delay in Windows power settings


I haven't used this in a while. I keep my drives spun up all the time.
post #2304 of 3342
Thread Starter 
I like spun up too because the delay otherwise drives me crazy
post #2305 of 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I like spun up too because the delay otherwise drives me crazy

An appliance should not have a noticeable delay in doing its normal tasks...as such, mine do not sleep either.
post #2306 of 3342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

An appliance should not have a noticeable delay in doing its normal tasks...as such, mine do not sleep either.

I had a hard drive installed on the mobo port and it would spin down- and it causes a delay in my whole array.

Spin down is for tree huggers and fools. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it. tongue.gif Call me impatient (I am biggrin.gif ) but the cost in electricity is worth not having to wait every time I click on my server pool drive (which is a lot ). Spin for the win !
post #2307 of 3342
If I have to go "Did I click on it? Hmmm...let me try...oh, there it goes..." then it is too long. The couple of dollars a year is worth not having to think that every time I watch a movie.
post #2308 of 3342
Mentioned before in the kill-a-watt thread with specifics, but I have 7 drives in my flexraid array, 1 outside the array, and 1 ssd. Spun-down vs not spun-down registered less than a 20W difference for me, actually right around 15W

That's 130 kWh per year, or a little less than $12 to my bill (annually) so I don't spin down either

I'd probably be willing to pay up to $50 per year for the convenience, so I've got plenty of room for adding drives or energy price fluctuations wink.gif
post #2309 of 3342
Many good points, well the same one many times anyway. It is certainly nice having a movie start right away with no delay.

Bill
post #2310 of 3342
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Many good points, well the same one many times anyway. It is certainly nice having a movie start right away with no delay.

Bill

I think this is the small part for me. If it was just an initial delay I might tolerate it but it's more than that.

For those that use their storage server for storage and PC stuff it's a total deal breaker IMO because it's constant annoyance even when on the PC too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Mfusick's How to build an affordable 30TB Flexraid media server: Information Requested.!