or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Any feedback on my list of options for a 2.1 system?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any feedback on my list of options for a 2.1 system?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Ok, guys. Been doing a bunch of searching online for speakers.

Looking for A 2.1 system to build up to a 5.1. I have about $300-400 to spend. What do you think about these as starters for the 2.1. Thinking if i go with the bookshelves they could be converted into surrounds later?

Background:
Medium sized townhome front room. 15x15. 9ft ceiling.
Movies/music: 60/40 (pop, jazz, electronica, drums) most of my music has a decent amount of drums and bass.
Avr: Denon 1712

Front
Klipsch icon kb-15
Energy cb-5
Def tech studiomonitor 45
Klipsch icon kf-26
Polk monitor 60 or 70 series 2

Sub
Polk psw110
Martin Logan dynamo 300
Polk psw505

Appreciate any feedback.
post #2 of 20
I would recommend the Pioneers FS52 towers when they are on sale for $99.99. If you buy the 52's towers, you should have enough to buy the Klipsch Reference RW-12d, which is on sale at newegg.com. That would be $100 dollars over your budget, but probably the best you can get for $500. Or the BIC America F12 for $199.99.

I just bought a pair of Polk Audios Monitor 70 series, which are on sale at newegg.com for $149.99 each.
post #3 of 20
fwiw,just a suggestion the infinity p363 's are on sale for a $110 ea. + ship. at frys electronics a great bargin and add the budget bic f-12 sub or save up for a good sub like an epik legend $499 on sale
Edited by smasher50 - 11/9/12 at 2:01pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I would recommend the Pioneers FS52 towers when they are on sale for $99.99. If you buy the 52's towers, you should have enough to buy the Klipsch Reference RW-12d, which is on sale at newegg.com. That would be $100 dollars over your budget, but probably the best you can get for $500. Or the BIC America F12 for $199.99.

+1

The PSW10 and Martin Logan Dyanamo 300 would be fairly ineffective subs to pair with towers. Not a lot of output. The PSW505 or these two would be much better choices.
post #5 of 20
The Deft Techs would likely be the best sounding especially for music with vocals. Check out the reviews on the new SM series.
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I would recommend the Pioneers FS52 towers when they are on sale for $99.99. If you buy the 52's towers, you should have enough to buy the Klipsch Reference RW-12d, which is on sale at newegg.com. That would be $100 dollars over your budget, but probably the best you can get for $500. Or the BIC America F12 for $199.99.
I just bought a pair of Polk Audios Monitor 70 series, which are on sale at newegg.com for $149.99 each.

All great ideas, thanks - especially the one about going over budget for the klipsch sub. Where did u see the 52's for $99? Congrats on the new polks. They look sweet.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1
The PSW10 and Martin Logan Dyanamo 300 would be fairly ineffective subs to pair with towers. Not a lot of output. The PSW505 or these two would be much better choices.

Good insight. Makes sense. Better off getting a "real" sub. You and Cel4145 both bring up the BIC brand. I'm seeing that more and more. Seems like a great value. I'm planning to go listening tomorrow.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconfes View Post

All great ideas, thanks - especially the one about going over budget for the klipsch sub. Where did u see the 52's for $99? Congrats on the new polks. They look sweet.

Best Buy and Tiger Direct had them on sale for $99.99. If you have a local Best Buy they will price match. Too bad they do not carry the Polk Monitors.
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

The Deft Techs would likely be the best sounding especially for music with vocals. Check out the reviews on the new SM series.

Wow...I went to magnolia and checked out the def tech studio 45s were awesome. It helped that I had it paired with a energy sub but even with out it wow. I listened to the klipsch floors,
, bookshelves and polk books. It could have been the magnolia room magic but it seemed like the def techs were just better?
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconfes View Post

Wow...I went to magnolia and checked out the def tech studio 45s were awesome. It helped that I had it paired with a energy sub but even with out it wow. I listened to the klipsch floors,
, bookshelves and polk books. It could have been the magnolia room magic but it seemed like the def techs were just better?

No amount of Internet reading and advice can offset your sound preference choice. Don't look for our opinions. Sounds like you found the speakers for you. Go for it smile.gif
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

No amount of Internet reading and advice can offset your sound preference choice. Don't look for our opinions. Sounds like you found the speakers for you. Go for it smile.gif
+1
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconfes View Post

Wow...I went to magnolia and checked out the def tech studio 45s were awesome. It helped that I had it paired with a energy sub but even with out it wow. I listened to the klipsch floors,
, bookshelves and polk books. It could have been the magnolia room magic but it seemed like the def techs were just better?
I listened to the Definitive SM55 today, and they are really nice - and overall well balanced.
No chance of ear fatigue with these, tha bass and soundsatage is really nice. > There really
is a difference between the old and new Studio Monitors. > It is not easy to trump the new
Studio Monitors.
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
So of course now I find out at the def techs are quite a bit more than the other choices. $400 vs. $250 for some of the others. Dang.

I saw some open box 45s at bb so maybe I'll get lucky.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
So I have a line on a pair of energy cb-20's for $180. Practically new. Does anyone know how these stack up against the def tech 45's?
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconfes View Post

So I have a line on a pair of energy cb-20's for $180. Practically new. Does anyone know how these stack up against the def tech 45's?

No. But that's definitely a decent price for those.
post #16 of 20
Apparently UPS delivers during the holidays. They came in while I was at work at approximately 1630 hours. It is a little passed 2 AM. I unboxed them since I couldn't wait. The grills were damage a little bit. Nothing major, but it bugs the hell out of me. I will contact Polk later. I'm so glad I went with the Polks rather than the Pio's.

I need a new TV Stand. I'm thinking of building my own though. I need one without doors since my kids like to use them as swings. I am hoping to get my Klipsch Reference RW-12d tomorrow. My wife bought it for me when it was on sale for $300. It's $499.99 now. Oh, yeah the center channel will be replaced in the next two weeks. I've been spending a little too much biggrin.gif

I took a picture with my phone. Sorry for the bad quality.

2012-11-13_01-55-49_742.jpg
post #17 of 20
I did a side by side with the Polk and the Pioneers and there was really no comparison. The pioneers lacked in bass, midrange and treble compared to the Polks. (Polked M60s vs the Pioneer towers).
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
So I went with the energy CB-20's. The deal was great and they sounded better than the def techs...to me. Extremely happy with them. Adding a sub and some surrounds will really sound great. Thinking this is a great start.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconfes View Post

So I went with the energy CB-20's. The deal was great and they sounded better than the def techs...to me. Extremely happy with them. Adding a sub and some surrounds will really sound great. Thinking this is a great start.

How much did you pay for them? and where? if you don't mind me asking.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconfes View Post

So I went with the energy CB-20's. The deal was great and they sounded better than the def techs...to me. Extremely happy with them. Adding a sub and some surrounds will really sound great. Thinking this is a great start.

As long as you enjoy them, and if they do not give you ear fatigue - then it can be a nice
adventure for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Any feedback on my list of options for a 2.1 system?