or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Americans' on FX HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'The Americans' on FX HD - Page 13

post #361 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I do know any U.S. citizen CAN voluntarily surrender their citizenship.

It's not that difficult to renounce U.S. citizenship. You need to leave the territory of United States and then go to the US embassy and renounce citizenship. That's the real basics of it anyway.
post #362 of 900
another excellent episode.
post #363 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

another excellent episode.

Indeed! More "twists and turns" and two "triangles" have been formed (thanks to Stan and Philip).
post #364 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Yes it was part of the plea deal so Voluntary give it up. Or life in Gitmo one would suspect. Still for him it was a good deal since he was not raised in the US.
Here he is, born in my part of the world. Only reason why I remember this stuff :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaser_Esam_Hamdi
Sounds like a good ploy to keep him out of this country forever.wink.gif
post #365 of 900
Another great ep, this is one of the best shows running right now. Keeps me hooked from beginning to end.
post #366 of 900
Good lord, the Russian girl is, as Jim Carrey would say, "Smokin!!!"
post #367 of 900
Another great ep. This show continues to kick butt every week. Sad for Philip that his first love also became a KGB agent; too bad they couldn't have been paired together. But then we wouldn't have Elizabeth's awesomeness. Kari Russel continues to impress in this role. She does vulnerable, ruthless, bad-ass, cold, and especially hawt equally well. Who knew Felicity had such chops?

Well, we knew Stan was going to fall for Nina, of course. Who wouldn't? That's going to compromise him down the road; can't see it ending well with her "extrification". Richard Thomas hasn't gotten much praise for his ruthless FBI agent-in-charge, but he's doing a good job as well.
post #368 of 900
Is there anyone not doing a great job on this show? I love all the subplots going on here, makes it fun to watch.
post #369 of 900
well done show. i've been liking it so far. some random observations: mathew rhys's voice sounds exactly like george clooney. i had almost forgotten how ugly cars were in the late 70's/early 80's. the young woman playing nina is very lovely.
post #370 of 900
I agree that Annet Mahendru, who plays Nina, the Russian girl that Stan has fallen for, is incredibly beautiful. Marina Squerciati, who played Irina, Philip's old flame and, ostensibly, the mother is his child, is also a beautiful girl. I wouldn't put it past Philip's manipulative KGB masters to have instructed Irina to lie to Philip about a child, in order to test his loyalty. What they did to Philip and Elizabeth before makes it impossible to discount the possibility that Irina's story is as much a legend as that of the KGB thugs who tortured Philip and Elizabeth.

I have really enjoyed Richard Thomas' performances as Agent Gaad, the FBI supervisor who is Stan's boss. Gaad is so ruthless he's scary.

The Americans keeps getting better and better. There is no better written show on television these days and Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys have been perfect as Elizabeth and Philip.
post #371 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Annet Mahendru, who plays Nina, the Russian girl that Stan has fallen for, is incredibly beautiful. Marina Squerciati, who played Irina, Philip's old flame and, ostensibly, the mother is his child, is also a beautiful girl. I wouldn't put it past Philip's manipulative KGB masters to have instructed Irina to lie to Philip about a child, in order to test his loyalty. What they did to Philip and Elizabeth before makes it impossible to discount the possibility that Irina's story is as much a legend as that of the KGB thugs who tortured Philip and Elizabeth.

Consider that when Philip asked Irina at the train station if that was really his child, she didn't answer directly. In fact, the whole "let's run away together" thing could have been a ruse for the same reason -- they still don't trust Philip.
post #372 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Consider that when Philip asked Irina at the train station if that was really his child, she didn't answer directly. In fact, the whole "let's run away together" thing could have been a ruse for the same reason -- they still don't trust Philip.

Yes, I forgot to mention in my earlier that Irina didn't really answer Philip when he asked her if the child was really his. As noted, I am suspicious of Irina's claim that there was a child in the first place. What makes this so fascinating is that with the fissures in the Soviet empire getting wider and wider, the KGB gets more paranoid and desperate.
post #373 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Gaad is so ruthless he's scary.

Makes sense to me. His profession isn't exactly where "bleeding hearts" are top performers.
post #374 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Consider that when Philip asked Irina at the train station if that was really his child, she didn't answer directly. In fact, the whole "let's run away together" thing could have been a ruse for the same reason -- they still don't trust Philip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yes, I forgot to mention in my earlier that Irina didn't really answer Philip when he asked her if the child was really his. As noted, I am suspicious of Irina's claim that there was a child in the first place. What makes this so fascinating is that with the fissures in the Soviet empire getting wider and wider, the KGB gets more paranoid and desperate.
I feel it was just another test of Philip/Mischa's loyalty , seems odd that they would reunite him with his old GF , she then pulls off a perfect operation & then just does a 180 let's defect together . Philip well knows you can't just run with no plan,no money,no cover off to a green valley somewhere to live together & be happy , fear free for ever after .
post #375 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


I feel it was just another test of Philip/Mischa's loyalty , seems odd that they would reunite him with his old GF , she then pulls off a perfect operation & then just does a 180 let's defect together . Philip well knows you can't just run with no plan,no money,no cover off to a green valley somewhere to live together & be happy , fear free for ever after .

There's also his family, which seems to mean more to him than anything else. "Its you, its always been you," is what he tells Elizabeth. Course we don't know if thats the full truth or just what he knows she wants to hear... smile.gif Philip is a lot more complex than he first appeared to be, no telling what he really thinks/feels/believes now.
post #376 of 900
This last episode was a bomb. If Stan is the best FBI America has were in big trouble. I'll stick with Justified for entertainment value.
post #377 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Yes, I forgot to mention in my earlier that Irina didn't really answer Philip when he asked her if the child was really his. As noted, I am suspicious of Irina's claim that there was a child in the first place. What makes this so fascinating is that with the fissures in the Soviet empire getting wider and wider, the KGB gets more paranoid and desperate.

Ok so I wasn't crazy in my thinking then either.
post #378 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Ok so I wasn't crazy in my thinking then either.
No, you're crazy - but you could be right in your thinking... wink.gif
post #379 of 900
Did anybody else notice the foobar in the video when Elizabeth was in the men's room with the informant? The camera panned and showed one of those automatic toilet flushers which didn't exist back then.
post #380 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post

Did anybody else notice the foobar in the video when Elizabeth was in the men's room with the informant? The camera panned and showed one of those automatic toilet flushers which didn't exist back then.

That's it. I'm done with this show. I AM OWED BETTER.
post #381 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

This last episode was a bomb. If Stan is the best FBI America has were in big trouble. I'll stick with Justified for entertainment value.

The FBI on The Following makes Stan look superhuman. eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

That's it. I'm done with this show. I AM OWED BETTER.

I agree, if they can't get the rest room scenes right, then it can't get any lower. wink.gif
post #382 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

That's it. I'm done with this show. I AM OWED BETTER.

I agree, if they can't get the rest room scenes right, then it can't get any lower. wink.gif

I found the line where Claudia said, "Everyone has their issues," to be far worse. I'm pretty sure people still had problems back then, not issues. The linguistic anachronisms in this show are just unbearable! biggrin.gif
post #383 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post

Did anybody else notice the foobar in the video when Elizabeth was in the men's room with the informant? The camera panned and showed one of those automatic toilet flushers which didn't exist back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

That's it. I'm done with this show. I AM OWED BETTER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

The FBI on The Following makes Stan look superhuman. eek.gif
I agree, if they can't get the rest room scenes right, then it can't get any lower. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I found the line where Claudia said, "Everyone has their issues," to be far worse. I'm pretty sure people still had problems back then, not issues. The linguistic anachronisms in this show are just unbearable! biggrin.gif
WELL Then : it's Back to "Dancing With The Stars " for ALL of you !
post #384 of 900
All I know is spies get laid a lot, and that's okay with me. Funny how the women are always Russkies, not matter who the guy is.

Oh wait, I see what they're setting up, the two abandoned wives are getting pretty cozy, so a girl on girl thing must be in the offing.

Reminds me of an old joke: New Soviet immigrant is telling his American friend about life in the old country, horror stories about the KGB and all. He says he came home early one day and found his wife in bed with a KGB agent. "A KGB agent!" says his friend, "what happened?" "Oh, it was okay, he didn't see me."
post #385 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post




WELL Then : it's Back to "Dancing With The Stars " for ALL of you !

SCREW THAT. THAT SHOW HAS LENS FLARE.
post #386 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

SCREW THAT. THAT SHOW [Dancing with the Stars ]HAS LENS FLARE.

Absolutely and WE CAN't HAVE THAT!smile.gif All the recent whining from posters taking minor issues, such as the use of the word "issues," and -- gasp -- the depiction of automatic flush toilets in the '80s so seriously, it has caused them to move on from the show makes my head spin. Oh, the humanity! I still love The Americans and continue to believe it to be one of the best written and performed shows on TV. If that makes me a Philistine so be it.
post #387 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Absolutely and WE CAN't HAVE THAT!smile.gif All the recent whining from posters taking minor issues, such as the use of the word "issues," and -- gasp -- the depiction of automatic flush toilets in the '80s so seriously, it has caused them to move on from the show makes my head spin. Oh, the humanity! I still love The Americans and continue to believe it to be one of the best written and performed shows on TV. If that makes me a Philistine so be it.
Agreed !
1st this is a drama set back 30 years ago , this is not a history lesson , this is spy vs spy with human people not cartoon/action figures smile.gif
there is just so $ for production so Yes there's gonna slight "issues" with the production getting the scenes "correct for the time period " .
Me I like it !
I rate it right up there with "Justified"
Having lived during the time period when this all happened , I do not look for out of time period mistakes as props or speech , I concentrate on the plot & characters .
I'm taking it all in with faith that a great story is being told .
post #388 of 900
I think there was some tongue in cheek in some of those posts...
post #389 of 900
I wonder where they found all those old TV's they keep showing running all the news clips ?
post #390 of 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I think there was some tongue in cheek in some of those posts...

...hence our use of emoticons.

The Americans is probably the best written new show of the season, at least among those I've seen.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Americans' on FX HD