A couple of moons later and after surviving the holidays (aka Christmas)...
After multiple sessions with Yamaha support, I was able to get their wireless box working and their iPhone App to connect reliably to the receiver. It was long enough ago that I don’t remember all the specifics of how we got it to work (like clearing all IP addresses, etc.), but the last issue was resolved by turning off everything (and I mean everything) and once everything was restarted, Ta Da. There is still sometimes a hiccup with the connection for the Yamaha App, but going out of the App and back in again usually resolves it. I am hoping that future firmware upgrades will take care of the remaining little glitches that sometimes arise.
I ended up putting all my music that I’ve ripped (FLAC) so far to my NAS. In the Yamaha App I can either connect to the MonkeyMedia server on my PC or the TwonkyMedia server on my NAS to access the music. The Yamaha App menus allows for selection of genre/album/artist, etc., although each is a little different such as where the Playlists are located. I feel reasonably adept at adding to my library, creating playlists, and using the Yamaha App. Much of this stuff just requires trial-and-error and learn-by-doing.
One outstanding problem has to do with how spaces are put in between tracks where there is not suppose to be a space, such as in the last half of Abbey Road. Yamaha refers to this as gapless playback. They say on their website that their Network Player
does not have this problem, but at a couple thousand dollars, I’ll look for less expensive solution.
Overall pleased with the final outcome, although the transition was a bit bumpy along the way…Edited by GaryDouglas - 1/27/13 at 7:11pm