Thanks Ralph. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
Related Forum Threads
- Now Showing - What We Watched Last post on 12/1/13 at 1:20am in General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
- How Often Do You See a Movie in a Theater Before Watching it at Home? Last post on 6/17/13 at 2:53pm in Community News & Polls
- AVS Can't-Wait Special—"Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray Releases Last post on 12/2/13 at 5:29pm in Blu-ray Software
- Blu-ray vs. Streaming Last post on 9/30/13 at 9:53am in AVS Forum Radio Show
- Emotiva amp connected to my Yamaha AVR, would this help any? Last post on 5/26/13 at 8:14pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
25 Top Blu-ray releases for 2012
Last edited: 9/24/13
- Top 20 Most Wanted Unreleased Blu-raysLast edited: 10/12/12
- Fall's Most Anticipated Blu-Ray ReleasesLast edited: 9/17/12
- 20 Blu-ray Discs To Show Off Your HD DisplayLast edited: 6/6/12
The Expendables 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2post #31 of 4711/21/12 at 12:44pmpost #32 of 4711/21/12 at 11:56pmQuote:
So is the RedBox rental. It sucked just having Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on a Bluray disc.....
:-(post #33 of 4711/22/12 at 6:09pm
I finally managed to watch this one in my 11.1 DTS:NeoX setup and must say, I am impressed (sound, not the movie). While NeoX is supposedly not discrete 11 channels on Blu-ray, I was surprised at how "discrete" it actually was. In fact, one of the Extras on the disc is an explanation and demonstration of the Neo X technology. When you run this, it shows a graphic of the 11.1 speakers and plays an audio clip from the movie and the corresponding speaker that the sound should come from. It successfully played audio from all 11 speakers and the sub discretely. Watching the actual movie, the sound was very immersive and it was also obvious that they went to great lengths to incorporate a large soundfield of both music and ambient sound. Right from the start, the soundtrack smoothly panned and played various effects from all the speakers. The film seemed to rely heavily on a track of 60's classics that it kept in the side and rear surrounds for ambiance and which remained out of the front sound stage as if to heighten the sense of space the listener occupied. Sound effects like bullets flying and explosions realistically whizzed around and there was a good dose of LFE, both in the threatening music tracks and the effects. At first, I thought maybe they were going overboard in simply displaying the tech, but after a while, I forgot about looking for it and they simply melted into the movie and kept me surrounded at all times. It was very impressive to say the least and will definitely cause me to look for this feature in the future.
My HT is large (20' wide X 32' long with a 10.5' wide 2.35 screen and large speakers), so that probably played a role as well. The movie, as I expected, was very cartoonish with real bloody violence. But, it wasn't terrible and the sound effects were worthwhile to me. It was the best use of my system for pure 11.1 audio to date. Running the soundcheck program and getting discrete sounds from each speaker was unexpected and while I can't say that the actual film did that, it was immersive enough to make me think it did. Nothing was steered incorrectly and once I got past listening for the effects and their placement, it became natural sounding and put me center stage for the action. Happily, dialogue always instantly snapped back to center and never bled over except to pan the screen with the movement of the actors. Overall, a good first effort from Lionsgate in their DTS:Neo X 11.1 experiment.post #34 of 4711/23/12 at 4:13amThread Starterpost #35 of 4711/27/12 at 5:14ampost #36 of 4712/2/12 at 9:09pmpost #37 of 4712/2/12 at 10:55pmNah its Lionsgate, they did the same thing for the Hunger Games and Cabin in the Woods. Apparently in in thier infinite wisdom they think that only putting in lossy audio in their rental discs will dissuade people from ripping them and make them want to buy it instead. Expect every Lionsgate rental disc to have this from now on.post #38 of 4712/3/12 at 9:18amI think the picture quality on ths was way below par, it was actually so bad that I think it affected the movie it self in a bad way. And I did not think this was a good movie in the first place. Picture 1,5/5 stars, Sound 3,5/5 stars, Movie 2/5 stars.
Edited by Andreas21 - 12/3/12 at 12:05pmpost #39 of 4712/8/12 at 4:52amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks for offering your impressions Andreas21..
Regards,post #40 of 4712/8/12 at 1:00pmpost #41 of 4712/20/12 at 6:49pmpost #42 of 4712/28/12 at 1:24ampost #43 of 4712/28/12 at 7:43amThread Starterpost #44 of 4712/28/12 at 9:27ampost #45 of 471/6/13 at 9:12ampost #46 of 471/8/13 at 8:24pmJust watched this today - and I really liked it. Of course I love movies that don't take themselves seriously.
I was REALLY disappointed to find out the rental version didn't have the DTS track since I had heard such good things about the soundtrack. I also was wondering if maybe try had downgraded the picture quality for the rental disc too - so I'm kind of glad to read that it was supposed to be that bad.
Edited by PTAaron - 1/8/13 at 8:31pm
- The Expendables 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
- Top 20 Most Wanted Unreleased Blu-rays
- › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and... 4 seconds ago
- › New calibration disc 5 seconds ago
- › Samsung HW-F355, HW-F450, or JBL SB100 ? 14 seconds ago
- › Netflix Watch Instantly: Gems and Finds 27 seconds ago
- › Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread 30 seconds ago
- › Klipsch owner thread 47 seconds ago
- › JTR Noesis 3TX vs. Danley SM80 1 minute ago
- › Official Samsung UN**F6300 series LED TV Owners Thread. 1 minute ago
- › *Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide 2 minutes ago
- › Panasonic TC-L58E60 58-Inch Smart LED HDTV by zepto
- › Control 4 - Hc-300c Home Controller C4-hc300c-e-b by aspoerri
- › Seaton Sound Catalyst 12C by Blackdevil77
- › Live Free or Die Hard [Blu-ray] by jlocice1
- › Onkyo Integra DTR7.9 by djpjwiesen
- › Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 18" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 ohm by chasby
- › Sonos SUB Wireless Subwoofer (Gloss) by imagic
- › Portal - PC by njskaguy33
- › Aerial Acoustics 7t by g_bartman
- › NETGEAR NeoTV MAX NTV300SL - digital multimedia receiver by Speed Daemon
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars of... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Projectors from 2013 by skehoe
- › Top Blu-rays for 2013 by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 7 Blu-ray Players of 2013 by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 5 Plasma TVs of 2013 by skehoe
- › Ron's Amazing Upgraded HD Effect Pen Camera by rolgin28
- › Review Contest Terms & Conditions by SocialCapital
- › 10 Horror Movies from 2013 to Watch This... by skehoe