Thanks Ralph. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
Related Forum Threads
- Now Showing - What We Watched Last post on 2/14/14 at 8:11am in General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms
- How Often Do You See a Movie in a Theater Before Watching it at Home? Last post on 6/17/13 at 2:53pm in Community News & Polls
- AVS Can't-Wait Special—"Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray Releases Last post on 2/21/14 at 7:54am in Blu-ray Software
- Blu-ray vs. Streaming Last post on 9/30/13 at 9:53am in AVS Forum Radio Show
- Emotiva amp connected to my Yamaha AVR, would this help any? Last post on 5/26/13 at 8:14pm in Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Academy Award Winners & Nominees on Blu-ray
Last edited: 2/24/14
- Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day Date NightLast edited: 2/10/14
- 25 Top Blu-ray releases for 2012Last edited: 9/24/13
- Top 20 Most Wanted Unreleased Blu-raysLast edited: 10/12/12
- Fall's Most Anticipated Blu-Ray ReleasesLast edited: 9/17/12
The Expendables 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2post #31 of 4711/21/12 at 12:44pmpost #32 of 4711/21/12 at 11:56pmQuote:
So is the RedBox rental. It sucked just having Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on a Bluray disc.....
:-(post #33 of 4711/22/12 at 6:09pm
I finally managed to watch this one in my 11.1 DTS:NeoX setup and must say, I am impressed (sound, not the movie). While NeoX is supposedly not discrete 11 channels on Blu-ray, I was surprised at how "discrete" it actually was. In fact, one of the Extras on the disc is an explanation and demonstration of the Neo X technology. When you run this, it shows a graphic of the 11.1 speakers and plays an audio clip from the movie and the corresponding speaker that the sound should come from. It successfully played audio from all 11 speakers and the sub discretely. Watching the actual movie, the sound was very immersive and it was also obvious that they went to great lengths to incorporate a large soundfield of both music and ambient sound. Right from the start, the soundtrack smoothly panned and played various effects from all the speakers. The film seemed to rely heavily on a track of 60's classics that it kept in the side and rear surrounds for ambiance and which remained out of the front sound stage as if to heighten the sense of space the listener occupied. Sound effects like bullets flying and explosions realistically whizzed around and there was a good dose of LFE, both in the threatening music tracks and the effects. At first, I thought maybe they were going overboard in simply displaying the tech, but after a while, I forgot about looking for it and they simply melted into the movie and kept me surrounded at all times. It was very impressive to say the least and will definitely cause me to look for this feature in the future.
My HT is large (20' wide X 32' long with a 10.5' wide 2.35 screen and large speakers), so that probably played a role as well. The movie, as I expected, was very cartoonish with real bloody violence. But, it wasn't terrible and the sound effects were worthwhile to me. It was the best use of my system for pure 11.1 audio to date. Running the soundcheck program and getting discrete sounds from each speaker was unexpected and while I can't say that the actual film did that, it was immersive enough to make me think it did. Nothing was steered incorrectly and once I got past listening for the effects and their placement, it became natural sounding and put me center stage for the action. Happily, dialogue always instantly snapped back to center and never bled over except to pan the screen with the movement of the actors. Overall, a good first effort from Lionsgate in their DTS:Neo X 11.1 experiment.post #34 of 4711/23/12 at 4:13amThread Starterpost #35 of 4711/27/12 at 5:14ampost #36 of 4712/2/12 at 9:09pmpost #37 of 4712/2/12 at 10:55pmNah its Lionsgate, they did the same thing for the Hunger Games and Cabin in the Woods. Apparently in in thier infinite wisdom they think that only putting in lossy audio in their rental discs will dissuade people from ripping them and make them want to buy it instead. Expect every Lionsgate rental disc to have this from now on.post #38 of 4712/3/12 at 9:18amI think the picture quality on ths was way below par, it was actually so bad that I think it affected the movie it self in a bad way. And I did not think this was a good movie in the first place. Picture 1,5/5 stars, Sound 3,5/5 stars, Movie 2/5 stars.
Edited by Andreas21 - 12/3/12 at 12:05pmpost #39 of 4712/8/12 at 4:52amThread StarterQuote:
Thanks for offering your impressions Andreas21..
Regards,post #40 of 4712/8/12 at 1:00pmpost #41 of 4712/20/12 at 6:49pmpost #42 of 4712/28/12 at 1:24ampost #43 of 4712/28/12 at 7:43amThread Starterpost #44 of 4712/28/12 at 9:27ampost #45 of 471/6/13 at 9:12ampost #46 of 471/8/13 at 8:24pmJust watched this today - and I really liked it. Of course I love movies that don't take themselves seriously.
I was REALLY disappointed to find out the rental version didn't have the DTS track since I had heard such good things about the soundtrack. I also was wondering if maybe try had downgraded the picture quality for the rental disc too - so I'm kind of glad to read that it was supposed to be that bad.
Edited by PTAaron - 1/8/13 at 8:31pm
- The Expendables 2 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
- Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day Date Night
- › Pioneer's Speaker Genius Hits Low Price Point 12 seconds ago
- › Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide *Updated 2014-02-23* 24 seconds ago
- › Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread 32 seconds ago
- › iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Official Samsung PNxxF8500 Owners Thread (No Street Price Talk) 1 minute ago
- › Ripping Blu-Rays II 1 minute ago
- › DAC Comparison 1 minute ago
- › 2014 Formula 1 in HD 2 minutes ago
- › The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts 2 minutes ago
- › Official 2013 Sony R550A series TVs (KDL-xxR550A) --- 50", 60", and... 2 minutes ago
- › Polk Audio RTI A7 Floorstanding Speaker (Single, Cherry) by mdaleavs
- › Microvision SHOWWX+ HDMI Laser Pico Projector (AA0123600-020) by enjoi7
- › Xbox One Console - Day One Edition by ajones13
- › Nintendo 3DS XL - Blue/Black by JulianPope
- › PlayStation 4 Console by BenMonkey
- › Wii by JulianPope
- › Behringer B215XL Passive Speaker Pair by imagic
- › Atari 5200 - Video Game Console (System) by PGTweed
- › PlayStation Vita - WiFi by JulianPope
- › Nintendo 64 System - Video Game Console by JulianPope
- › Academy Award Winners & Nominees on Blu-ray by skehoe
- › Game Console Review Contest by Scott Wilkinson
- › Best Blu-rays for Your Valentine's Day... by skehoe
- › Vizio and Sony Impress, Curved Screens... by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Buying Guide Central by skehoe
- › Soundbar Review Contest by SocialCapital
- › AVS Forum's Top 9 LCD TVs by Scott Wilkinson
- › AVS Forum's Top 10 Powered Soundbars by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 8 Low-Cost... by skehoe
- › AVS Forum's Top 6 Streaming Media Players by skehoe