or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Looking for a cheap replacement for my Denon 1709. Wii U doesn't support optical Audio :(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a cheap replacement for my Denon 1709. Wii U doesn't support optical Audio :(

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hey there,

I am looking to upgrade my Denon 1709. The upcoming Wii U doesn't support optical audio out, so I am forced to purchase a new receiver.

I really just want something with identical quality and features to my 1709, but with hdmi surround pass through capability. I also love my audysee multEQ. My room is massive and I have really enjoyed how well the Denon 1709 has filled my room and I give a lot of the credit to the multEQ.

I am looking for something used and cheap. Thinking $180? $200? Shoot I would love $150 or $100. This doesn't seem to far fetched, seeing as I see my beloved 1709 for $80 and less all day. I am thinking the 1909 my be a nice option, but is it the best option? Is there really anything I might be missing above the 1909?

Thanks!
post #2 of 11
If you just need to add another HDMI input, why not just add an HDMI switch from forum sponsor Monoprice?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8150&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

If you just need to add another HDMI input, why not just add an HDMI switch from forum sponsor Monoprice?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8150&seq=1&format=2

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunatly the 1709 only passes through Video. It does not allow for any sound, let alone Dolby 5.1 etc..
post #4 of 11
^^^

i'm a bit confused... why do you need to "pass through" the audio?
post #5 of 11
I think he mispoke and just needs a basic AV receiver that's capable of decoding HDMI audio. His receiver is one of those early HDMI models that could only switch HDMI.

This Ambery HDMI audio decoder should let him hook up a Wii U to the analogue multi-channel inputs of his AVR-1709 and get surround audio. (Note that the optical output of this device or any other similar device will only get stereo audio when used with the Wii U.)
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by treepop View Post

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunatly the 1709 only passes through Video. It does not allow for any sound, let alone Dolby 5.1 etc..

So just connect the analog audio cable from the Wii U and let the 1709 use DD PLII to simulate 5.1. Otherwise, a refurb 1612 fits in your budget.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

So just connect the analog audio cable from the Wii U and let the 1709 use DD PLII to simulate 5.1. Otherwise, a refurb 1612 fits in your budget.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Thanks for the link. That looks good. Curious. What is the difference between the 1612 and 591? I know the 1612 has upscalling and 5.1 while the 1611 has no upscalling, but 7.1. So is the only differance between the 591 and the 1612 upscalling? Is the remote controller different? Is there any reason to get the 1612 over the 591? I will only ever use 5.1 and never need multizone.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
What is the difference between the 1612 and 591? I know the 1612 has upscalling and 5.1 while the 1611 has no upscalling, but 7.1.

Your info is wrong. Actually the 591 and 1611 will convert analog video to HDMI and the 1612 does not. I own a 591 so I am sure about this. Both the 591 and 1611 also have one component video input and the 1612 does not have any. The 1611 is a 7.1 receiver and the surroud back channels can also be assigned to zone 2.

The advantage of the 1612 are the front USB input and it will overlay the on screen display over HDMI. I wouldn't trade my 591 for a 1612 unless I had all HDMI devices.


Check your local best buy for clearance sales on the xx12 models. I found a Denon 1912 for $199 at one of the stores by me.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Your info is wrong. Actually the 591 and 1611 will convert analog video to HDMI and the 1612 does not. I own a 591 so I am sure about this. Both the 591 and 1611 also have one component video input and the 1612 does not have any. The 1611 is a 7.1 receiver and the surroud back channels can also be assigned to zone 2.
The advantage of the 1612 are the front USB input and it will overlay the on screen display over HDMI. I wouldn't trade my 591 for a 1612 unless I had all HDMI devices.
Check your local best buy for clearance sales on the xx12 models. I found a Denon 1912 for $199 at one of the stores by me.

Good to know. So the 1611/591 seems better in every way except usb and the osd. Also, GREAT FIND on that 1912! I would buy that in a heart beat.
post #10 of 11
Deals definitely can be found...

1712 for $199
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+630W+7.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/2166099.p?id=1218312455899&skuId=2166099&strId=528&strClr=true

1612 for $99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+600W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver+-+Black/2127198.p?id=1218310762391&skuId=2127198&strId=1509&strClr=true

Marantz 1402 for $219
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Marantz+-+Slimline+250W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/2761061.p?id=1218348990151&skuId=2761061&strId=349&strClr=true
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Looking for a cheap replacement for my Denon 1709. Wii U doesn't support optical Audio :(