or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 62

post #1831 of 10172
I wanted to check the center channel last night, and went to speaker configuration to send it a test tone, and test tone was marked Off, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't turn it on.

What's the trick?
post #1832 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

yes that's exactly how you want the setup on the oppo to be. Are you using a mac or windows OS

Windows 7 and after the grief I went through yesterday I am very pleased to finally be able to push audio to the player using my computers because I am not using a monitor in my dedicated audio room.

Also thanks to bthrb4u for the information. I will play around with your suggestion tomorrow and see how that sounds. Right now, I'm enjoying listening to some great music in my dedicated audio room through the OPPO, whilst drinking a little wine with my lovely wife. We just listened to some Kasabian which sounded outstanding--even though I could be a grandfather to any of the band members. smile.gif
post #1833 of 10172
sounds like a good night. Best of luck
post #1834 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Why use the 105's USB DAC through stereo XLR to AVM 50v for ARC when you can connect it directly via HDMI? This way you would avoid an extra (and unnecessary) conversion step from analog back to digital. It would be D/A instead of A/D/A.

I'm going to use both in order to have the greatest flexibility in listening modes.
post #1835 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleClef View Post

Thanks for your opinion. Much appreciated.
Regarding the 2 XLR outputs from the OPPO: Do you connect those directly to the L and R Front Mains on your Proc? Is this the preferred output connector to use? My EMOTIVA does not have XLR connectors, so I suppose I would need an XLR to RCA cable? Given that there are only two XLR outputs, how is the Sub output relayed to the Processor?
Additionally, why wouldn't I just use HDMI?
Sorry for the Newb questions.

I would not use xlr to rca cables. Use rca to rca for your application.
post #1836 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

sounds like a good night. Best of luck

Happy New Year to you and your family and thanks for the tips--they are greatly appreciated. Currently listening to the Narrow Stairs album by Death Cab For Cutie. Highly recommended.
post #1837 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

i heard that if you read the specifications for anthem and then compare them to a brand like parasound, you can't help but wonder how they are still in business. I mean, that's what i heard. Something about how the specifications are no better than receiver specs. I've heard of a lot of companies with this status.

I'm not sure if that post is supposed to be inflammatory or what.

That's why i don't really care about specs. They are important, but don't tell the whole the story, and in no way tell you how a piece will sound integrated in your system. If your decision to buy audio products is based primarily on specs, you may be very disappointed in the sound.
Edited by boyce89976 - 12/28/12 at 7:52pm
post #1838 of 10172
no, not inflammatory, just was brought my joking attitude from another forum over to this one. I appologize

Death cab for cutie, nice!
post #1839 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

Read this whole thread, already tired. waiting for wednesday's delivery.

Took me about a week but also just finished to pg 63. Great to see most 105 users are happy with purchase. I own the 83SE into my classe ssp-800 into my classe ca-5300 into my b&w 803D2's . Was waiting for the 105 to stream my MCH and 192/24 stereo flac files. Have fallen in love with asset dbpoweramp and this 105 thread shares many great suggestions with DLNA including transcoding of alac to lpcm to my micca ep600g2 streamer. Yes I will get the 105 for analog 2 channel and sacd 5.1 pass thru.

Edit- streaming interface of 105 has received very few extensive comments or reviews. Hoping someone can share their experiences with the streaming interface.
Edited by wadeh911 - 12/28/12 at 6:39pm
post #1840 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

no, not inflammatory, just was brought my joking attitude from another forum over to this one. I appologize
Death cab for cutie, nice!

Yeah we like Death Cab and I do care about specs. wink.gif Carry on.
post #1841 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

I was just trying to help you when you weren't getting anything from the higher bitrate files. Seems like you found the problem. The reason wasapi is so nice is because it bypasses the windows mixer which alters the digital image. You don't want this with hd audio. That's the problem with computer audio, you use the computer and have jitter, you get rid of that and then you have the os mixer. Get rid of both and you have a signal as pure as can be.

+1
yea, using something like wasabi to skip all the windows processing is the real reason to use something like foobar. Being able to send music to the 105 renerer over DLNA is really just an awesome extra.
post #1842 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You have to set the Sub volume in the first step. You made no mention of that.
I presume you are using Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and using the XLR outputs in lieu of the normal LF/RF RCA outputs from the multi-channel set. Meanwhile the Sub is wired from the RCA output of the multi-channel set.
For maximum accuracy, I suggest you use the LPCM test tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray (with an SPL meter) instead of the internal test tones, but the procedure is similar.
Suppose you decide to use the 5.1 LPCM test track. First set Down-mix to 5.1. Then set LF/C/RF/RS/LS to Large and Sub to ON (also LR/RR to OFF, although it won't affect what follows). You need to set Center and the 2 Surrounds to Large to avoid down-mix attenuation when playing the 5.1 test track (down-mix is the lesser of your Down-mix setting and the speakers you actually have turned on). Set LF/RF to -10dB volume trim (to adjust for the input sensitivity of your power amp). Leave Sub at 0dB volume trim. The volume trim for the other speaker outputs does not matter since they are not wired. Using the 5.1 LPCM test track, verify that LF and RF are producing the same output level. If not, then raise the volume trim a bit on the weaker speaker. Now adjust the volume knob on the Sub to produce the same output level you just established for LF/RF. The volume knob setting on the Sub will thus have adjusted for BOTH the needed +10dB boost (all speakers Large) and the 6dB difference between the XLR outputs and the RCA outputs. Note that volume setting for future reference.
Now, without changing anything in the OPPO, raise the volume knob on the Sub until its output is an ADDITIONAL +5dB HIGHER than LF/RF.
Now switch LF/RF to Small, and set C/LS/RS to OFF. Set Stereo Down-mix. Set a Crossover frequency. (The correct choice of Crossover frequency will depend upon the capabilities of your speakers and Sub and how they couple to the room. Start with 80Hz if you are still figuring this out.)
You are done. The additional +5dB boost you added to the Sub in that last adjustment takes care of the +15dB boost the Sub needs with LF/RF set to Small. (The difference between the XLR and RCA outputs is also still accounted for in that setting.)
Now here's an additional refinement: Unless you are in a large listening room, or a room with extensive bass treatments, a "desirable" room response characteristic called Room Gain comes into play -- one of the aspects of perceiving sound as being played in a good listening room instead of, say, outdoors. Room Gain has the effect of boosting bass frequencies a few dB -- 2 to 4 dB is typical. And so the most pleasing adjustment of the Subwoofer volume may actually be a few dB HIGHER than the precise match to LF/RF described above.
To experiment with that, set the Sub about +2dB higher than LF/RF in the first step -- +7dB higher in the 2nd step. Do some listening and see what you think.
Bass response is *HIGHLY* dependent on how the Subwoofer (and the woofers of LF/RF) couple to the room. There are tools you can get that let you chart the bass response of your system at various mic locations around the seating. Room problems can result in resonance peaks at certain frequencies and cancellation nulls at other, nearby frequencies. Thus proper bass setup can be a complicated task. But the above volume setting stuff is the starting point. Do re-check this stuff if you move the speakers or Sub -- even inches matter for bass frequencies.
Finally, if you want to try SACD DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, you should ONLY play the Stereo layer of your SACDs. There is no audio processing possible and so if you play the 5.1 layer the extra channels just get discarded. Now when doing this -- again because there is no audio processing -- the speakers are treated as Large (no Crossover). And so there will be NO SUBWOOFER OUTPUT. There's no LFE channel in the 2.0 layer of course, and there's no bass being steered to the Sub from the mains. The upshot is that you don't have to fiddle with the volume setting on the Sub because the Sub will be silent! Voila!
--Bob

Bob,

I have implemented your recommendations using AIX, and am very satisfied with the results. I noticed that Left was 1.5db weaker than Right channel with AIX and 3db weaker with Interal Test Signal, and trimmed Left channel by +1.5db instead of +3db as AIX is known to be more accurate.

I will be using Paradigm PBK tool next week to optimize bass response from
my Paradigm Sub, and decided to use PCM output from 2ch SACD only for 2.1 output.

Many thanks for your generously detailed recommendations. Happy Listening ...
Edited by edwardkim - 12/28/12 at 8:35pm
post #1843 of 10172
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

I wanted to check the center channel last night, and went to speaker configuration to send it a test tone, and test tone was marked Off, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't turn it on.
What's the trick?

You can't be engaging disc or other media playback if you want to use the Test Tones. Eject the disc or stop any media playback then go into the Setup Menu, then Audio Processing and Speaker Configuration to enable the Test Tone.
post #1844 of 10172
I know this might cause some people angst since most people have opinions not based in true real world observations but I wanted to post my experience here.

I was in the market for a new Blu Ray player that could be used in a 2 channel setup. I looked at many of them. The Theta player, the Marantz 9004, Denon player and of course the Oppo player. I actually purchased an Oppo bdp-105 and came across a good deal on an Ayre DX-5 player and bought it. I actually had both of them at the same time and spent 2-3 days testing the video and audio between the players.

I know this will not right any wrong or for the most part people's perception will go unchanged but since few people have had the experience to compare these players side by side in their own home, I thought I would share what is seen. Also, I am ISF certified so I know video pretty well. I have not responded to any forum post before on this forum, on audiogon's forum, on avsforum or any other forum but this one topic has just reached a point where it pisses me off, thus causing me to react by posting a post about a high end player. Most people will discount it and that's fine. It is their loss. The point that pisses me off is when they discount high end brands because they use a license from OPPO and think the OPPO is even in the same league as all high end players. Sad part is, they feel vindicated by their triumph showing the Lexicon to be a total rip off but that is not ammunition to dismiss an entire companies progress in making a better player.

From what alot of people said on this forum and many other forums I almost didn't purchase the Ayre. I should have known considering 99% of those posters didn't even have an Ayre to even observe. The main reason I did is because of the few reviewers that have sung the praises of Ayre over the years that I trust for the audio side but I was still skeptical on the video side because of the comments of people on forums such as this.

If people care about the specifics please feel free to respond with questions but after viewing the Ayre DX-5 compared to the OPPO BDP-105 it is so easy to say that the Ayre kicks its butt all over the place with audio and video. This was before proper burn in AND after proper burn in. Straight out of the box the Ayre blows it away and after burn in, there is no comparison in video or sound. If anyone can actually compare the players themselves and they don't see and hear the differences then they don't belong in high end. They should question their ears and eyes and stay in the low end or buy mid-fi for the quality upgrades and not the video and audio upgrades because they obviously don't get it.

Also, any person that says the Ayre is a rebadged OPPO then you are obviously stupid. I know calling people names gets you flamed on forums but fact is fact. If you don't like being called stupid then fine...I will then relegate you to just ignorant.

PS:
One more thing needs to be said. The fact that the Absolute Sound avoids Ayre because they won't send them a demo or they won't report because of a tussle over an accusation of theft (that still seemed a valid accusation on Ayre's part) then it shows how partial and biased they are. It saddens me that Ayre products are not reviewed because of this because I personally prefer the formatting, layout, and writers at the Absolute Sound vs. Stereophile. I like the technical expertise of writers and Stereophile and the writing style of their journalists but the magazine is just awful to read for flow.

Either way, partiality is so evident is this small niche of an industry and the fact the Absolute Sounds leaves out such a great product as the Ayre truly does a disservice to the audiophile that only subscribes to the Absolute Sound. They are missing out on being exposed to such a great player. Put your differences aside, make up and stop excluding items that should be in your magazine. Even if Ayre is wrong a magazine should be the bigger man because you are to report the facts for your readers, not your personal vendettas.
post #1845 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihu View Post

I know this might cause some people angst since most people have opinions not based in true real world observations but I wanted to post my experience here.
I was in the market for a new Blu Ray player that could be used in a 2 channel setup. I looked at many of them. The Theta player, the Marantz 9004, Denon player and of course the Oppo player. I actually purchased an Oppo bdp-105 and came across a good deal on an Ayre DX-5 player and bought it. I actually had both of them at the same time and spent 2-3 days testing the video and audio between the players.
I know this will not right any wrong or for the most part people's perception will go unchanged but since few people have had the experience to compare these players side by side in their own home, I thought I would share what is seen. Also, I am ISF certified so I know video pretty well. I have not responded to any forum post before on this forum, on audiogon's forum, on avsforum or any other forum but this one topic has just reached a point where it pisses me off, thus causing me to react by posting a post about a high end player. Most people will discount it and that's fine. It is their loss. The point that pisses me off is when they discount high end brands because they use a license from OPPO and think the OPPO is even in the same league as all high end players. Sad part is, they feel vindicated by their triumph showing the Lexicon to be a total rip off but that is not ammunition to dismiss an entire companies progress in making a better player.
From what alot of people said on this forum and many other forums I almost didn't purchase the Ayre. I should have known considering 99% of those posters didn't even have an Ayre to even observe. The main reason I did is because of the few reviewers that have sung the praises of Ayre over the years that I trust for the audio side but I was still skeptical on the video side because of the comments of people on forums such as this.
If people care about the specifics please feel free to respond with questions but after viewing the Ayre DX-5 compared to the OPPO BDP-105 it is so easy to say that the Ayre kicks its butt all over the place with audio and video. This was before proper burn in AND after proper burn in. Straight out of the box the Ayre blows it away and after burn in, there is no comparison in video or sound. If anyone can actually compare the players themselves and they don't see and hear the differences then they don't belong in high end. They should question their ears and eyes and stay in the low end or buy mid-fi for the quality upgrades and not the video and audio upgrades because they obviously don't get it.
Also, any person that says the Ayre is a rebadged OPPO then you are obviously stupid. I know calling people names gets you flamed on forums but fact is fact. If you don't like being called stupid then fine...I will then relegate you to just ignorant.
PS:
One more thing needs to be said. The fact that the Absolute Sound avoids Ayre because they won't send them a demo or they won't report because of a tussle over an accusation of theft (that still seemed a valid accusation on Ayre's part) then it shows how partial and biased they are. It saddens me that Ayre products are not reviewed because of this because I personally prefer the formatting, layout, and writers at the Absolute Sound vs. Stereophile. I like the technical expertise of writers and Stereophile and the writing style of their journalists but the magazine is just awful to read for flow.
Either way, partiality is so evident is this small niche of an industry and the fact the Absolute Sounds leaves out such a great product as the Ayre truly does a disservice to the audiophile that only subscribes to the Absolute Sound. They are missing out on being exposed to such a great player. Put your differences aside, make up and stop excluding items that should be in your magazine. Even if Ayre is wrong a magazine should be the bigger man because you are to report the facts for your readers, not your personal vendettas.

Aren't you comparing a $10,000 unit (Ayre) to a $1,200 unit?
post #1846 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihu View Post

I know this might cause some people angst since most people have opinions not based in true real world observations but I wanted to post my experience here.
I was in the market for a new Blu Ray player that could be used in a 2 channel setup. I looked at many of them. The Theta player, the Marantz 9004, Denon player and of course the Oppo player. I actually purchased an Oppo bdp-105 and came across a good deal on an Ayre DX-5 player and bought it. I actually had both of them at the same time and spent 2-3 days testing the video and audio between the players.
I know this will not right any wrong or for the most part people's perception will go unchanged but since few people have had the experience to compare these players side by side in their own home, I thought I would share what is seen. Also, I am ISF certified so I know video pretty well. I have not responded to any forum post before on this forum, on audiogon's forum, on avsforum or any other forum but this one topic has just reached a point where it pisses me off, thus causing me to react by posting a post about a high end player. Most people will discount it and that's fine. It is their loss. The point that pisses me off is when they discount high end brands because they use a license from OPPO and think the OPPO is even in the same league as all high end players. Sad part is, they feel vindicated by their triumph showing the Lexicon to be a total rip off but that is not ammunition to dismiss an entire companies progress in making a better player.
From what alot of people said on this forum and many other forums I almost didn't purchase the Ayre. I should have known considering 99% of those posters didn't even have an Ayre to even observe. The main reason I did is because of the few reviewers that have sung the praises of Ayre over the years that I trust for the audio side but I was still skeptical on the video side because of the comments of people on forums such as this.
If people care about the specifics please feel free to respond with questions but after viewing the Ayre DX-5 compared to the OPPO BDP-105 it is so easy to say that the Ayre kicks its butt all over the place with audio and video. This was before proper burn in AND after proper burn in. Straight out of the box the Ayre blows it away and after burn in, there is no comparison in video or sound..

This is quite an opus completely devoid of specifics.
If you think theAyre blows the bdp-105 away on video, you do not like accurate images.
Oppo players have been thoroughly measured by secrets and others as one of the most accurate players out there.

I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but what is your purpose here?

- Rich
post #1847 of 10172
^ Oh, crap!

^^ Does this mean I'll need to get one of them there mods? biggrin.giftongue.gif
post #1848 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleClef View Post

Well that is encouraging.
I was beginning to get depressed about the Bass response I was getting.
How many hours would you say it took before you noticed this increase?
That said, I am still not happy about the Stereo Only (no subwoofer) capability from the USB DAC.

The way I'm getting around this is I got a y connector and put it to the Stereo RCAs and I just simply move the cable from the true sub RCA out to the Y connector. My sub is set at the same xover frequency as the oppo setting (80). Does the trick for me.

As far as the change in Bass, it took about 125-150 hrs. Like I said, I went through this with the 95 also, but the bass here is much tighter on my F113 and this change came quicker.
post #1849 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihu View Post

If anyone can actually compare the players themselves and they don't see and hear the differences then they don't belong in high end. They should question their ears and eyes and stay in the low end or buy mid-fi for the quality upgrades and not the video and audio upgrades because they obviously don't get it.
Also, any person that says the Ayre is a rebadged OPPO then you are obviously stupid. I know calling people names gets you flamed on forums but fact is fact. If you don't like being called stupid then fine...I will then relegate you to just ignorant.
What a wonderful way to introduce yourself to a forum community. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but to call those who may not agree with you ignorant or stupid isn't a recipe for a long stay at this or any other forum. Perhaps a little sugar might be added to your diet wink.gif.

That said, it's pretty well known that Ayre at least put an effort into making actual changes to the player rather than just putting it into a different box and jacking the price up. Whether those changes make the player better or not can only be judged by those who have had a chance to use one. But for the huge price premium they're charging, I would hope that the Ayre would improve on at least some aspects of the Oppo.
post #1850 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

When using DSD, the multi-channel Analog Speaker Configuration settings are left unchanged -- they are just ignored.
I suggest "Stay in Tune with PentaTone", SACD, tracks 43-48 for confirming volume trims with SACD Output PCM vs. SACD Output DSD. (NOTE: The Subwoofer test track, track 48, is about +4dB hot on that disc.) But Crossover processing, distance adjustments, and down-mix CAN NOT HAPPEN while using SACD DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. If you need those, then you should use SACD Output PCM instead.
Now if you are playing the stereo layer of an SACD, and don't care that the full frequency range will go to your main speakers (i.e., no bass steered to your sub), then you may very well find you can use SACD Output DSD -- i.e., try it and see if you like it.
Note that distance settings are less important for music playback since there are no visual cues to indicate that placement of sound BETWEEN speakers might not be an exact match to action on screen. Phase management for the Sub is also not an issue since there is no Crossover processing.
--Bob

Thanks Bob, but now I'm back to confused state regarding the XLRs out. So if I only use the XLRs out for FR/FL , aren't those +6DB hotter than the rest of the speakers for 5.1 DSD to analog content without any way to be able to correct for that in the Oppo?confused.gif
post #1851 of 10172
^ Unless OPPO have figured out a way to implement speaker volume trims in the 105 during SACD DSD playback that is correct. I've not actually tested that in the current firmware.

This is not an uncommon problem when mixing XLR and RCA connections. That's why many power amps offer switch selectable -6dB attenuation on each XLR input.

Obviously the workaround is to use the RCA pair from the Dedicated Stereo set instead of the XLR pair.

This is easy enough to check using tracks 43-48 from "Stay in Tune with PentaTone", SACD.
--Bob
post #1852 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihu View Post

I know this might cause some people angst since most people have opinions not based in true real world observations but I wanted to post my experience here.
I was in the market for a new Blu Ray player that could be used in a 2 channel setup. I looked at many of them. The Theta player, the Marantz 9004, Denon player and of course the Oppo player. I actually purchased an Oppo bdp-105 and came across a good deal on an Ayre DX-5 player and bought it. I actually had both of them at the same time and spent 2-3 days testing the video and audio between the players.
I know this will not right any wrong or for the most part people's perception will go unchanged but since few people have had the experience to compare these players side by side in their own home, I thought I would share what is seen. Also, I am ISF certified so I know video pretty well. I have not responded to any forum post before on this forum, on audiogon's forum, on avsforum or any other forum but this one topic has just reached a point where it pisses me off, thus causing me to react by posting a post about a high end player. Most people will discount it and that's fine. It is their loss. The point that pisses me off is when they discount high end brands because they use a license from OPPO and think the OPPO is even in the same league as all high end players. Sad part is, they feel vindicated by their triumph showing the Lexicon to be a total rip off but that is not ammunition to dismiss an entire companies progress in making a better player.
From what alot of people said on this forum and many other forums I almost didn't purchase the Ayre. I should have known considering 99% of those posters didn't even have an Ayre to even observe. The main reason I did is because of the few reviewers that have sung the praises of Ayre over the years that I trust for the audio side but I was still skeptical on the video side because of the comments of people on forums such as this.
If people care about the specifics please feel free to respond with questions but after viewing the Ayre DX-5 compared to the OPPO BDP-105 it is so easy to say that the Ayre kicks its butt all over the place with audio and video. This was before proper burn in AND after proper burn in. Straight out of the box the Ayre blows it away and after burn in, there is no comparison in video or sound. If anyone can actually compare the players themselves and they don't see and hear the differences then they don't belong in high end. They should question their ears and eyes and stay in the low end or buy mid-fi for the quality upgrades and not the video and audio upgrades because they obviously don't get it.
Also, any person that says the Ayre is a rebadged OPPO then you are obviously stupid. I know calling people names gets you flamed on forums but fact is fact. If you don't like being called stupid then fine...I will then relegate you to just ignorant.
PS:
One more thing needs to be said. The fact that the Absolute Sound avoids Ayre because they won't send them a demo or they won't report because of a tussle over an accusation of theft (that still seemed a valid accusation on Ayre's part) then it shows how partial and biased they are. It saddens me that Ayre products are not reviewed because of this because I personally prefer the formatting, layout, and writers at the Absolute Sound vs. Stereophile. I like the technical expertise of writers and Stereophile and the writing style of their journalists but the magazine is just awful to read for flow.
Either way, partiality is so evident is this small niche of an industry and the fact the Absolute Sounds leaves out such a great product as the Ayre truly does a disservice to the audiophile that only subscribes to the Absolute Sound. They are missing out on being exposed to such a great player. Put your differences aside, make up and stop excluding items that should be in your magazine. Even if Ayre is wrong a magazine should be the bigger man because you are to report the facts for your readers, not your personal vendettas.

I haven't had the privilege of comparing the Ayre DX-5 to the Oppo 105 myself, therefore i give you the benefit of the doubt regarding the superiority of picture and audio performance in favor of the former. Do you care to elaborate, or better yet, quantify the differences in the context of an ASTRONOMICAL 880% cost differential? Exactly what does the $10,000 Ayre DX-5 do that the $1,200 Oppo 105 doesn't? Please define; "it blows it out of the water".
Edited by vlach - 12/28/12 at 9:44pm
post #1853 of 10172
praise the lord
post #1854 of 10172
hi, there.. please! help me to choose the XLR cables and subwoofer cable to be used with the oppo 105. will appreciate....thanks n bye.
post #1855 of 10172
^ Choose Blue Jeans Cable or Monoprice in any length you desire.
post #1856 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Aren't you comparing a $10,000 unit (Ayre) to a $1,200 unit?

Boyce, the only reason I am comparing the 2 is because of so many people saying that the Ayre is a rebadged OPPO. You are right. There really is not a comparison. I just wanted to set the record straight from someone that actually owned both and spent alot of time with them.
post #1857 of 10172
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Marantz UD7007 to the 105 based on video and audio quality? I know the 7007 doesn't have the USB access or a headphone jack. Trying to make a decision on which to buy. Coincidentally they are exactly the same price.
post #1858 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

This is quite an opus completely devoid of specifics.
If you think theAyre blows the bdp-105 away on video, you do not like accurate images.
Oppo players have been thoroughly measured by secrets and others as one of the most accurate players out there.
I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but what is your purpose here?
- Rich

Rich,

Just because one player measures well doesn't mean another one doesn't so your logic is not completely there. I didn't say the OPPO sucked or that it didn't measure well. I am just saying compared to the Ayre, the OPPO doesn't hold up.

The purpose was probably focused on the wrong people but I found very little video reviews on the Ayre when I was researching it and most of the "reviews" were from people that didn't know video or have not seen the player and most of the consensus I found was that there is very little difference between the 2 and that is just not the case. That is all my point was.
post #1859 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Another example of the law of diminishing returns when a another party has to boast that his $10000 box beats a $1200 box. Have fun thinking you have the ultimate digital source.

It is not about that. Don't let your jealousy get in the way. I am not boasting. I just got tired of all the people blasting the Ayre on their DX5 forum and on other forums when they have not seen it or experienced it. Also, I love how you assumed I was saying things I didn't say. Good job.
post #1860 of 10172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlgren View Post

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Marantz UD7007 to the 105 based on video and audio quality? I know the 7007 doesn't have the USB access or a headphone jack. Trying to make a decision on which to buy. Coincidentally they are exactly the same price.


I wish I had the personal experience to comment on this between those 2 players. I hope you get some feedback from people that have actually seen both of those players.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread