or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 78

post #2311 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

That is for the asynchronous usb input in the rear. It presume you have it connected to a PC soundcard or some other device. Is that what you are doing?
-Bill

No, I just have USB memory stick plugged into the front input. So, which input is the USB Asynchronous input? That's the one I'll definitely use when I get my server set up.
post #2312 of 10257
Quote:

Cool - Thanks

BTW we've had no issues with the 105, but would like to say I can't remember anthing in my setup that sounds as good as when the Oppo was introduced via analog direct to an Amp!

-Brian
post #2313 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post


No, I just have USB memory stick plugged into the front input. So, which input is the USB Asynchronous input? That's the one I'll definitely use when I get my server set up.

In the rear marked "USB DAC", next to the coax and optical inputs, in the box marked DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT.

-Bill
post #2314 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

In the rear marked "USB DAC", next to the coax and optical inputs, in the box marked DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT.
-Bill

Lol, i see it now. Man, I thought out sounded pretty good straight into the USB port. Will be playing with that tonight!
post #2315 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

No, I just have USB memory stick plugged into the front input. So, which input is the USB Asynchronous input? That's the one I'll definitely use when I get my server set up.

The available inputs are shown on page 32 in the PDF manual. The only USB input (#8 by my count) is the one for connecting a computer to the DAC using the 105 as essentially a computer audio device (sound card). The other USB ports are not really inputs in the sense of audio inputs, they are for attached storage and there's no way to select them other than from the Home/Music Menu - same goes for network attached storage.
post #2316 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwinfrombelgium View Post

If you want to go Emotiva to get the best stereo sound out of the Oppo 105, there are two options if you're not going straight from 105 to amps:
1/ Wait for the XMC-1. Compared to the UMC-500, it will have a stereo XLR-input. The promise is that this path (with setting straight, direct or pure whatever they call it) will offer the best possible sound. Comparable to what the Marantz AV8801 does. No processing, straight to the volume control with "relay bypass" so this should be comparable SQ as if you go straight from Oppo to amp.
2/ Combine a UMC with the XSP-1 stereo pre-amp using the HT-bypass of the latter. Connect HDMI from the Oppo to the UMC and the XLR from the Oppo to the XSP-1.
However what the multichannel SQ is concerned I am less informed. XMC is a completely different platform than both UMC's though, other DAC's and other DSP, so this would be my choice for the Oppo 103.
What's interesting about the XMC-1 zone 2 capabilities (stereo only) is that unlike most AVR's I am aware of, you're not limited to analogue sources. It distributes USB-audio and ethernet audio (not HDMI though). Ofcourse, with an 105, you're covered anyway using it's analogue outputs. Arguably, the 103's analogue outputs are also good enough for most zone 2 needs.
Anybody who wants the XMC-1 spec sheet, PM me their e-mail, it's 3.2 MB and no longer on Emotiva website. Specs are preliminary ofcourse.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/processors/umc-200-a-v-processor

The analog section was excellent.

I'll take a copy of that spec sheet. smile.gif

- Rich
post #2317 of 10257
I currently have a BDP-93 and I am seriously considering upgrading to the 105 mainly to take advantage of the USB DAC to use with my mac mini server. But I have yet to read any feedback from users. I currently use a HRT streamer ii. Will the 105 best it?
post #2318 of 10257
Deleted
post #2319 of 10257
^^ Thanks, Bill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

The available inputs are shown on page 32 in the PDF manual. The only USB input (#8 by my count) is the one for connecting a computer to the DAC using the 105 as essentially a computer audio device (sound card). The other USB ports are not really inputs in the sense of audio inputs, they are for attached storage and there's no way to select them other than from the Home/Music Menu - same goes for network attached storage.

Thanks, Steve! I've been playing with the DAC input tonight... compared to the USB input on the front... much wider sound stage, better high frequency resolution and smoothness. Just played "I Love You Goodbye" and "Cruel" from Thomas Dolby's Astronauts & Heretics CD ripped to iTunes, and the soundstage is MASSIVE! These are two of my reference tracks, and they have never sounded better! I can only imagine what they would sound like as a high-resolution FLAC file.
post #2320 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

^^ Thanks, Bill!
Thanks, Steve! I've been playing with the DAC input tonight... compared to the USB input on the front... much wider sound stage, better high frequency resolution and smoothness. Just played "I Love You Goodbye" and "Cruel" from Thomas Dolby's Astronauts & Heretics CD ripped to iTunes, and the soundstage is MASSIVE! These are two of my reference tracks, and they have never sounded better! I can only imagine what they would sound like as a high-resolution FLAC file.

Interesting - you make me want to try it. I am playing a bunch of DVDA rips (5.1 FLAC) from a hard drive off the front USB and they sound wonderful. Now I need to get a computer hooked up and try some stereo material - but it does not surprise me that direct to DAC would be as God intended with the right speakers and full-resolution rips. Probably why DSD sounds so good as well - not necessarily because it is DSD, but that it is converted directly by the DACs.
post #2321 of 10257
Steve and contributors,
Thanks for the info on marantz/denon setups and the followup lfe/sub setup info for the oppo 105. My Oppo 105 is on order. Hope I'm going to hear what everyone has been hearing.. I have a lot of catching up these days especially with the new file formats and using server to store and play music. eek.gif

Anyone have a link or know where i should look to learn to get started with using music files or movie files. I wish to go towards a setup with a small pocketable external storage that i can just plug and play. Is that possible with my portable seagate backup drive and an oppo 105? I am able to just load files in music and movie directories and play them using the oppo 105 usb input? or do i have to setup as a nas. Whats the easiet way to approach this? I dont have tons of music or movies and i dont have a lot of time to mess around with my computer these days.. How are you guys setup? What is the prevalent file format for good audio quality music to play on the oppo 105?
post #2322 of 10257
I have the first 105 to get a Modwright full tube mod, 2 linear power supplies, bigger Furutech IEC connector and bybee music rails. I will report when receive it very soon. I am strictly 2.1 HT/stereo person.
post #2323 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I thought we answered this but I guess not.  There is no standard multichannel digital format for intercomponent communication so there are 3 options:
1.  Use the analog outputs and suffer the redundant A/D/A conversions.  Nice but pricey options for this.
2.  Modify your equipment to implement 4xS/PDIF output and feed a stack stereo stereo EQs, like the DSPeaker or DEQX (or MiniDSP).
3.  Modify your equipment to implement 4xS/PDIF output and get a Trinnov EQ or MiniDSP.   $$$ but good.
4.  Keep all your music on your computer and install a software EQ like Dirac Live.

Thanks for the response. In options 2 & 3, I assume the outputs of the DSP are audio? Otherwise if you mean modify a 105 to add S/PDIFs, I don't think that is viable. I can see it being more practical to modify a PC or Mac to provide additional digital I/Fs.

From what I have read on the Trinnov, it is the most technically intriguing, but most expensive....I would be spending nearly as much on the processor as I did on my speakers.

I was unaware of the Dirac Live product and after reviewing their web site, it looks like it might be the ideal solution. I saw a few things I need to look into and verify but it appears at least for my computer hosted music it would be the way to go and would allow me to benefit from the DACs in the 105 without giving up room correction. Do you intend to review it anytime soon?
post #2324 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I have the first 105 to get a Modwright full tube mod, 2 linear power supplies, bigger Furutech IEC connector and bybee music rails. I will report when receive it very soon. I am strictly 2.1 HT/stereo person.

 

Cool ...please give us your honest opinion on this.

post #2325 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Nope ... I just played a 320kbps MP3 file and it still says LPCM 2.0 96kHz. Same report as my Anthem D2v.

This is all at the mercy of the speaker settings sampling rate you specify in Windows. It seems either Windows does the upsampling or the control bytes embedded in the output data stream are wrong.

It looks like you may be mixing up your units. There is no connection between a 320 KBPS mp3 file being 24/192 Khz or 24/96 or whatever. The oppo is displaying and you're most interested in the KHZ rating. So if it shows 24/44,48,96,174, or 192 the file can also be 128kbps or 256 or 320, those this number will never change.

My AVR does display the same bitrate it's getting from the OPPO over HDMI as the OPPO is receiving from my computer and playing on analog. Beyond that it's probably pretty hard to know exactly which settings you have on your computer and what windows processing is going on for someone else to know what your computer is actually sending out.

OK... really good to know. But why are my 24b/96kHz files changed by the Oppo windows driver to whatever bit depth and sampling rate is set by the control panel settings. As i said, the panel defaults to 16b/44.1kHz so my Hirez files will be degraded to this bit-rate? Do i always have to go in and change the panel parameters to the correct resolution and sample depths my files have?

post #2326 of 10257
^ If you access your Audio Device via the Control Panel and click on the Advanced tab, you can choose your default output. Leaving it at 24/192 will assure that you can play your files up to that bit rate and resolution. There is no way to tell what you are playing via the OPPO BDP-105. It will only show the default setting when you press the info button on the remote. I'm not sure if there will ever be a way to tell exactly what is being sent to the player. Maybe, a future firmware? That's if it can be implemented.
post #2327 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I have the first 105 to get a Modwright full tube mod, 2 linear power supplies, bigger Furutech IEC connector and bybee music rails. I will report when receive it very soon. I am strictly 2.1 HT/stereo person.

I was thinking of getting mine modded too, but with plenty of "burn in" and time spent listening, I am going to wait! The sound satisfies me, for now anyway.

Did you spend lot of time with the stock unit? I am also interested in your opinion of the differences in sound quality.

Cheers!
Edited by Todd68 - 1/3/13 at 11:50pm
post #2328 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacustrader View Post

Steve and contributors,
Thanks for the info on marantz/denon setups and the followup lfe/sub setup info for the oppo 105. My Oppo 105 is on order. Hope I'm going to hear what everyone has been hearing.. I have a lot of catching up these days especially with the new file formats and using server to store and play music. eek.gif
Anyone have a link or know where i should look to learn to get started with using music files or movie files. I wish to go towards a setup with a small pocketable external storage that i can just plug and play. Is that possible with my portable seagate backup drive and an oppo 105? I am able to just load files in music and movie directories and play them using the oppo 105 usb input? or do i have to setup as a nas. Whats the easiet way to approach this? I dont have tons of music or movies and i dont have a lot of time to mess around with my computer these days.. How are you guys setup? What is the prevalent file format for good audio quality music to play on the oppo 105?

I believe the amount of links will fill up that HDD of yours already smile.gif
The storage solution depends on the data volume and your preference.
For movies, in .mkv or .iso format,I use barebones drives into a USB HDD dock directly linked to the 105. With Ant Movie Catalog I keep track of what I have, did I see it already, what type of movie it is etc and on which barebone HDD the particular movie is archived. It adds meta data as well. I have many tb's in movies. I did not want to create a server that needs to be up to play that one movie. Redundancy is not an issue for me. My set up is not as HT proof as an XBMC for instance. However, it is my personal preference for simplicity and pragmatic reasons.

To me FLAC is the audio format of choice. Very flexible and widely supported. I use freeware called MusicBee to manage my library. It can "toggle" between file formats like ALAC mp3 etc, adds meta data and it is usefull to keep multiple libraries in perferct synch. It can also use Wasapi. it is one of the most user friendly and comprehensive audio tools I've laid eyes on.

Enjoy the journey!
post #2329 of 10257
How did u play iso thru oppo 105? I thought it can't do it.
post #2330 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

How did u play iso thru oppo 105? I thought it can't do it.

You can't, directly. There is a trick with SMB: How do you play Blu-ray ISO files over SMB?

As I caution everyone: this works now, but if the studios become aware that people are doing it they will say "stop that" and we may lose the ability.

-Bill
post #2331 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post


Thanks for the response. In options 2 & 3, I assume the outputs of the DSP are audio? Otherwise if you mean modify a 105 to add S/PDIFs, I don't think that is viable. I can see it being more practical to modify a PC or Mac to provide additional digital I/Fs.
From what I have read on the Trinnov, it is the most technically intriguing, but most expensive....I would be spending nearly as much on the processor as I did on my speakers.
I was unaware of the Dirac Live product and after reviewing their web site, it looks like it might be the ideal solution. I saw a few things I need to look into and verify but it appears at least for my computer hosted music it would be the way to go and would allow me to benefit from the DACs in the 105 without giving up room correction. Do you intend to review it anytime soon?

I did mean modify the source. Player or other.

I have a copy of DiracLive and will review it as soon as I have a suitable setup for that.

post #2332 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I Know I'm in the minority here, but I have sent my 105 back. I spent two, 8 hour days with the system trying to get the best sound out of it. I'm not really interested in the picture quality. I never rent movies.Although my wife and I watch movies, they are off of the cable.I planned on watching a few off of the player,but primarily, I wanted it for the sound system. I tried every different configuration in the book, and I just was not impressed.It was not any better than my old junk JVC that I have had for 10 years. I'm an old rock and roller, and I wanted it to have... " thump" and clarity. The 5.1 analog outputs sounded flat, to me. And using it I could never get the second zone to work(out in garage). I didn't spend much time trying to resolve this issue as I knew I wasn't liking the sound anyway. I ended up using the RCA's out,as that was my only other good choice, and it was unimpressive to both of us.(I never tried the optical as I figured it would be about the same).We had just recorded 12/12/12 concert on the Time Warner supplied DVR and it was much ,much better sounding than the Oppo. Pink Floyd was clear, clean and hard hitting. The Oppo wasn't. My father has been dead for a decade now, but I remember him telling me when I was a kid that "It don't do you any good to put a gold ring in a hogs nose.... Its still a hog". My old Marantz 7500 with no HDMI is the hog, and I think I would be better suited to get a new Marantz 7007,or 6007, receiver with a Oppo 103. My 5 Miller Kreisels are 4 ohm anyway, and I'm sure they would like the power increase.

I owned a BDP-95 and sent it back because I liked the sound of my Sony XA-5400ES better through the analog outs and I liked the sound of the BDP-S5000ES through its analog outs over the 95. I have since changed processors and I now listen to the balanced analog outs of the sony through a Bryston SP3. Now the sound of the Sony is even better. In my opinion, while the Bryston's SP3 significantly betters that of the Sony, its sonic signature is more akin to the Sony as opposed to the Oppo whose sound I thought was course and less pristine. I guess its a matter of taste.
post #2333 of 10257
For folks who are using the 105 as a preamp to drive poweramps directly, how's it working out with 105 volume control? Any issues?
post #2334 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post

How did u play iso thru oppo 105? I thought it can't do it.

ISO for SD material only..
post #2335 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Dodo View Post


ISO for SD material only..

How are you doing that? There is no support in the player for any ISO as a media file,

-Bill
post #2336 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

I'm very happy with the sound of the Oppo 105 and I find myself enjoying it more and more. The only way that I"m getting rid of it is when the next top of the line Oppo, the 115 or the 105v2 arrives with a audyssey room correction system. Can this be done, is it possible? it would surely revolutionize the hometheater world as we know it and I'm sure that it can be done.smile.gif


I had posted about wanting Room correction system on the "what features you would like in the next Oppo player" thread last year. i have'nt purchased the 105 only because of the lack of this feature. i want to use the oppo direct to amp but need room correction. i hoped that this could be done because i too believed that it would put the player in a different league and make the obviously already great sounding player almost perfect, aside from having many more people buying the player instead purchasing a player/processor because of room correction.

I wonder who would not want this option in their player given people's lack of proper room acoustics?
post #2337 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoladikwig View Post

For folks who are using the 105 as a preamp to drive poweramps directly, how's it working out with 105 volume control? Any issues?
No issues on this end. I took out my McIntosh MX121 out of the mix and other than the convenience of an an AV and faster response to HDMI switching, no issues. The only thing is that the gain directly to the amp (an MC205) is a bit lower, but not a deal killer.
post #2338 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I think my suggestion of asking in a thread for his amp, or contacting McIntosh stands. But what I was referring to as switches wasn't about toggling attenuation, it was about actually selecting the RCA or XLR inputs. Either way, connecting to both inputs on an amp isn't something I would do myself smile.gif.

It really does depend on the amp. I've got a Marantz SM-11S1 which has balanced and unbalanced inputs. It supports switching between them, and even setting different gain levels (-6db, 0db, +6db). Ran it with both inputs connected for a couple of years.

Very sorry to hear about amps getting fried. Which is a good time to remind folks that if you are running your 105 direct to your amps, be sure to lower your volume levels after a firmware update. By default, Oppo has decided to reset the volume level of the variable outputs to 100% volume - which will certainly blow some speakers and amps frown.gif

Styln
post #2339 of 10257
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

I had posted about wanting Room correction system on the "what features you would like in the next Oppo player" thread last year. i have'nt purchased the 105 only because of the lack of this feature. i want to use the oppo direct to amp but need room correction. i hoped that this could be done because i too believed that it would put the player in a different league and make the obviously already great sounding player almost perfect, aside from having many more people buying the player instead purchasing a player/processor because of room correction.
I wonder who would not want this option in their player given people's lack of proper room acoustics?

True. This would be a nice feature for the Oppo and this feature would likely make most processors redundant. 80% of room correction problems can be fixed with effective room treatment in my experience and sounds better than treating the room via digital eq. Digital eq via a processor is a last resort and is only required for the worst of rooms or where room treatment is not feasible.
post #2340 of 10257
Just got mine yesterday. Am I the only one who finds the transport noise slightly objectionable? I loaded in "Patton" and gave it a whirl. During the opening scene where George C. Scott is delivering the famous monologue, I can clearly hear the transport spinning.

Other than that I think it's a great player. The PQ is amazing (first time I've had a player that takes advantage of _all_ the features on my Pioneer Elite PDP: deep color and 24fps playback.) The BDP-105 replaced half a rack of crap for me, including a CD player, DVD player, Benchmark DAC-1, and Roku. I actually considered ditching my pre-amp, too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread