or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 88

post #2611 of 10197
I worked with both Oppo and Lumagen on the issue. Using the Oppo's HDMI 2 output was the solution. Oppo didn't provide feedback that they would work on a firmware solution. I didn't press them on it since using the HDMI 2 output works fine for me. In fact that is the preferred output for someone with a Radiance since it avoids processing the video twice. I would urge others who are having HDCP issues to let Oppo's Customer Support know about it. If enough people complain it should get more attention from their firmware development team.
post #2612 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

yeah, they aren't real shares, but they are not really fake either. They behave like filters. So when you click on Music it will list files that are .mp3, .flac, .wav, etc. Movies will be .mpeg, .mkv, .avi. etc and photos jpg, jpeg, tif, etc. So they all operate on the same share(s).

So you are able to get past the username password issue and get into those "folders"? How?
post #2613 of 10197
Does anyone know why my 2 OPPOs show up as unknown devices in Network Sharing on my Windows 7 laptop? All other devices always show up automatically when discovered. In the OPPO SETUP under Network everything is enabled properly. The only unknown is that there is a virtual keyboad that becomes avalable and wants me to type in exactly what my Network file share name states. But I dont want to put in "Unknown Device" and this wouldn't seem the right thing to do. I have never changed Subnet or MAC addresses ever before for anything as my Netgear 4000 shows they are online discovered and working properly. This has me baffled. My Netgear Genie also shows all my devices are on line. From reading on this thread it seems as though everyone else has OPPO BDP-103 or 105 as a named device as mine still states Unknown Device.
Dave
post #2614 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by naxos41 View Post

Is anybody using the optical output of Apple TV to feed the BDP-105? Does it work?
i have many mp3 songs ripped from cassettes and are not sounding very good quality, i do have apple tv3 and airport express which has analog out. the reason i use apple air play through those devices that it is very easy to control play lists and albums while playing using ipad or iphones. the question i have is that will the bdp-105 help these sound better? these bad sounding mp3's which were converted from tapes (tape players had that background high pitch noise added to the vocals and some of the other music specialy violin etc. it got worst when tape media got older.)? or even playing those mp3 files directly using analog directly?
post #2615 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

I worked with both Oppo and Lumagen on the issue. Using the Oppo's HDMI 2 output was the solution. Oppo didn't provide feedback that they would work on a firmware solution. I didn't press them on it since using the HDMI 2 output works fine for me. In fact that is the preferred output for someone with a Radiance since it avoids processing the video twice. I would urge others who are having HDCP issues to let Oppo's Customer Support know about it. If enough people complain it should get more attention from their firmware development team.

That's interesting. Our Radiance seemed to work okay with the 105, but it did take a while to sync. I took it out of the circuit and connected the Oppo over 45' of HDMI to a Lumagen extender and then to the display, and it works great. (The extender was there when the Radiance was in-circuit as well.)
post #2616 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by naxos41 View Post

Is anybody using the optical output of Apple TV to feed the BDP-105? Does it work?

No problems here wither via Toslink or HDMI In
post #2617 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

And with virtually every other third party implementation as well. But it supports SMBv1 and SMBv2 out of the box. The fact that it has SMBv3 is not the issue at all.
If you, for any reason, suspect that SMBv1 support is disabled on your Windows 8 box you can change it, see:
How to enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3
Chris

So I ran the Powershell script: Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB1Protocol, EnableSMB2Protocol

SMB1 and SMB2 are both "True", yet I get still get the faux shares from this computer and a username/password prompt to access them...this on Win7 and Win8 computers. That's as far back a version of Windows as I have running to try.
post #2618 of 10197
I've decided to buy the player. Does anybody know the size of the box in which it will be supplied? Thank you.
post #2619 of 10197
The Oppo is not demanding a SMB username or password, its offering to remember them. If they are not required, simply skip down and hit "enter" and that's the last time you'll see it. If it pops back up again then there is an authentication issue on the other end.

The 3 choices for movie, music and photo are not "faux shares", they are filters. They have nothing to do with the shares other than they filter out the other types. This is a requirement of the MTK decoder and is applied to all media sources the same as it is on the Home screen.
post #2620 of 10197
RDgrimes is correct.

And I don't think the SMB versions matter. Everything should work whether its windows xp, 7, 8, mac samba, etc.

Here's how my Oppo works on SMB.

1) First I select a server from the list it presents (after clicking Network from home menu)
2) it presents the Movies/Music/Pictures selections. These are not shares, this is just telling the Oppos what kind of files to display when browsing the share.
3) After you've made a selection, the Oppo then displays the set of share names for that PC.
4) When you click on a share name. then windows performs the authentication task.

Whether you can get authenticated is more of a windows issue then an oppo issue. I had no problem punching in a login name and password. And it will remember those credentials for future logins, so you should only have to do it once. And I think there is a way to setup windows shares so they don't need a login/password but it may be different depending on the flavor of XP. Win7, etc.
post #2621 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

RDgrimes is correct.
And I don't think the SMB versions matter. Everything should work whether its windows xp, 7, 8, mac samba, etc.

I have yet to read of anyone successfully using WIN 8 and SMBv3. Have you used WIN 8?
post #2622 of 10197
If your share permissions AND NTFS permissions are set for "everyone", then no user name or password is required but the player will still ask (and remember).
If your shares are set up for "guest" account, you may need to enter "guest" as the user and leave the password blank if none is required.

Important to remember that NTFS permissions need to match share permissions in terms of whats allowed for read access.

I think that authentication issues are known with Win-8, but contacting Oppo support may be worthwhile if the Win-8 issues don't exist for you on other devices using SMB.
post #2623 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

I have yet to read of anyone successfully using WIN 8 and SMBv3. Have you used WIN 8?

I have not, I will try and test that tonight.
post #2624 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

No problems here wither via Toslink or HDMI In

Thank you very much for your reply.
But, I just found out that the BDP-105 does not support ALAC.
Back to the drawing board.
post #2625 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadym-s View Post

I've decided to buy the player. Does anybody know the size of the box in which it will be supplied? Thank you.

I ordered it direct from OPPO through their oppodigital Amazon Marketplace store. The box it came in has 21" x 18" x 8.6" (L x W x H) and 23 pounds printed on it below the serial number sticker and to the left of the "one-blue" sticker. When I measure the box it seems to be a bit over 21", but a bit under 18" and 8.6".

Edited to add: I'm in the US.
post #2626 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Hard wiring is a necessary step in troubleshooting network issues, but you can run a temporary cable just to test. Cat5/6 can be up to 300' long and it's cheap.
that said, there may be a setting in your router that will help. If it has a UPnP setting be sure that's enabled. It needs to give priority to streaming traffic, is the point.

Yeah, the UPnP is enabled and router is very stable. I also, get 100% wireless signal where the OPPO and HTPC are located. I will be giving the cable a try this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

You should use dBPoweramp to convert a small selection to FLAC and try those. The smaller files will probably transfer OK. The reason I say this is that I am also wireless for the moment and ALAC (lossless compressed) converted on-the-fly to FLAC by AssetPNP server will play fine for me. My large 5.1 FLAC files will nearly play - some will - but most drop out pretty terribly. Lossless FLAC is probably better for you than WAV anyway - much easier tag and artwork management which will be a never-ending nightmare with WAV (been there/done that).
I plan to pull some wire in a week or so, but for the time being I put my 5.1 DVDA rips on a small hard drive hanging off the Oppo's back USB port.

I had now problem with tags or artwork management in JRMedia Center 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

I'd say that "and USB" is a big clue and either points to something horribly wrong with the Oppo or with your HTPC. Try putting a few known good files (you've heard them play flawlessly on other devices) on a USB Flash Key, install it in the Oppo, and see if they play properly. If so the problem may lie with your HTPC.
Chris

The USB is much better than wireless but still has audio drop outs. The funny thing I can play the same content that has the audio drop outs in window media player with an optical cable to my Denon AVR-5308 and get no dropouts.

Thanks very much for the replies.
post #2627 of 10197
Quote:
Thank you very much for your reply.
But, I just found out that the BDP-105 does not support ALAC.
Back to the drawing board.

Using ALAC should not be not an issue if you are feeding your BDP-105 through the AppleTV. I have my entire CD collection ripped to ALAC and use iTunes on a Mac in the kitchen to manage the library and to feed (over WiFi) an AppleTV 2 connected (via HDMI) to my 105 in the living room. I use the Apple "Remote" App on an iPad for track selection and playlists etc. It all works very slickly and I cannot distinguish any difference in sound quality between the streamed ALAC files and the same tracks played directly from the original CD.

You are correct that the 105 does not natively support ALAC. I asked OPPO about this when the 95 was released and they said then that there were no plans to add ALAC support - I assume that still is the case. However, either iTunes or the AppleTV presumably transcodes the ALAC files to (I guess) PCM that the 105 can recognize. It's only a problem if you want to play your ALAC files directly from an attached storage device, as the OPPO alone cannot decode them.

Rich
Edited by Richbrennan - 1/9/13 at 12:42pm
post #2628 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

SMBv3 is currently only used by Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and is basically a non-issue in regards to anything else as even those products speak SMBv1 as well.
The probabilities are against any other current, or past, products, outside of Samba 4, ever speaking SMBv3; nor will they need to in the foreseeable future.
IMO discussion otherwise of SMBv3 is a Red Herring in that it has nothing to do with any sharing issues regarding the Oppo, a NAS, Windows 7, Windows XP, OSX, etc.
Chris

Maybe I'm missing something here. Are you saying it is not SMBv3 that is causing WIN8 not to connect to the Oppo? If not do you know how to get WIN 8 to work with the Oppo? I have not had time to try disabling SMBv3 in Win8 to test nor have I seen any reports of anyone having success with WIN 8. If it is something other then SMBv3 causing the WIN8 issues with Oppo then you are right it is a Red Herring.
post #2629 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbrennan View Post

Using ALAC should not be not an issue if you are feeding your BDP-105 through the AppleTV. I have my entire CD collection ripped to ALAC and use iTunes on a Mac in the kitchen to manage the library and to feed (over WiFi) an AppleTV 2 connected (via HDMI) to my 105 in the living room. I use the Apple "Remote" App on an iPad for track selection and playlists etc. It all works very slickly and I cannot distinguish any difference in sound quality between the streamed ALAC files and the same tracks played directly from the original CD.
You are correct that the 105 does not natively support ALAC. I asked OPPO about this when the 95 was released and they said then that there were no plans to add ALAC support - I assume that still is the case. However, either iTunes or the AppleTV presumably transcodes the ALAC files to (I guess) PCM that the 105 can recognize. It's only a problem if you want to play your ALAC files directly from an attached storage device, as the OPPO alone cannot decode them.
Rich

Rich
I am aware that the optical out of the ATV is PCM.
I was thinking about the scenario in which I will be connecting the mac mini to the BPD-105 direct with USB.
But thank you for your advice.
post #2630 of 10197
^ If your plan is to use the Asynchronous USB DAC Input then it is the Mini which is playing the ALAC. What comes over that Asynchronous USB connection is stereo LPCM.

I.e., no problem.
--Bob
post #2631 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Yes, I'm saying that SMBv3 has absolutely nothing to do with it. Again, nothing uses SMBv3 except Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Unless all of your SMB file sharing is between Windows 8 and/or Windows Server 2012 systems then you are not using SMBv3 (and even then you may not be as they both support SMBv1 and SMBv2 as well).
I don't have the RTM version of Windows 8, just the Consumer Preview to test with and the Oppo doesn't even see it so I can hardly test any further. However, all of my other OS's and products see and connect to it just fine. My guess at this point is that the version of embedded Samba that the Oppo is using is broken (probably older and was never tested against Windows 8) and that it needs to be updated.
Also note that "Homegroup" is not = "SMB" is not = "Media sharing" (DLNA, UPnP), these are all separate ways of providing data. Defining your network connection type as "Work" and not "Home" or "Public" should allow the best opportunity for SMB to work.
Chris
Chris I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying it makes sense. However I think you are discounting the possibility that SMBv3 is somehow confusing the Oppo. It has been recommended here and in the 103 thread that possibility disabling SMBv3 in Win 8 would correct the issue. AFAIK no one has verified this, I hope to get a chance to try it when time permits. I'd like to rule it out as a possible cause.

What I'd really like is an explanation on is why WIN 7 with Windows Essentials installed is causing people problems. I suspect parts of Win Essentials have been incorporated into WIN8 and if we knew the root cause of the Windows Essential issue it might be applicable to Win8 and as you say SMBv3 is just a Red Herring.

I hope to do some testing later with the various OSs. I already have WHSv1, WIN7 and a BSD server sharing just fine with Oppo, it is just WIN 8 that refuse to authenticate at this point. I need to bring up some VMs on my server and do some other rearranging. At the end of the day we need to keep in mind that SMB support in the Oppo is still experimental.
post #2632 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatRocky View Post

i have many mp3 songs ripped from cassettes and are not sounding very good quality, i do have apple tv3 and airport express which has analog out. the reason i use apple air play through those devices that it is very easy to control play lists and albums while playing using ipad or iphones. the question i have is that will the bdp-105 help these sound better? these bad sounding mp3's which were converted from tapes (tape players had that background high pitch noise added to the vocals and some of the other music specialy violin etc. it got worst when tape media got older.)? or even playing those mp3 files directly using analog directly?

Likely not. If you really care about some of those recordings you might be able to re-master them using some noise reduction software - something like:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/audiodirector/features_en_US.html?affid=2581_973_681_paidsearch-ca_0_1&r=1

some are free - http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html

success with that sort of thing can be hit and miss and a lot of work.
post #2633 of 10197
Chris - The more I think about it, you are probably right about SMBv3 being a Red Herring. I suspect the issue is really with Win Live as it is deeply embedded into Win 8. Now I just need to figure out which Win8 service it is and I'll try turning it off.
post #2634 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

SMBv3 is currently only used by Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and is basically a non-issue in regards to anything else as even those products speak SMBv1 as well.
The probabilities are against any other current, or past, products, outside of Samba 4, ever speaking SMBv3; nor will they need to in the foreseeable future.
IMO discussion otherwise of SMBv3 is a Red Herring in that it has nothing to do with any sharing issues regarding the Oppo, a NAS, Windows 7, Windows XP, OSX, etc.
Chris

Agreed...in fact, I have managed to sort it out with testing on an XP computer I scrounged up and a Windows 7 test machine with a fairly clean install.

Although I have found the solution for this, it may not be worth it - you do all the below and end up with what? A crappy navigation interface that is far better achieved letting Windows Media Streaming and Sharing handle it for you as I originally described - and even that is not so great.

First, the crazy folders - Music, Photos, Videos are apparently as described above - some sort of "generic" presentation or filter that will get you where you want to go...once everything else is set.

Next, with Windows XP, it is dead simple - especially when "Simple File Sharing" is enabled - you get the username / password prompt and don't fill in either, just click connect or whatever is next and voila you are in. I suppose sharing with username / passwords would also work, but I didn't try it (see Win7 though...)

Windows 7 (and possibly Windows 8 but I don't want to muck up my computer to test this)...

1) Uninstall anything and everything to do with Windows Live Essentials. I don't know why or what this is doing, but it is the root cause of inoperability and for those who say, "it worked and then one day didn't..." - right; some sort of automatic update to Live Essentials broke it. (my source: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/132028-unable-access-simple-shared-folders-streaming-client.html)

2) Password protected sharing or not - if you follow the Advanced Sharing page, you can turn Off Password protected sharing - it is sort of like "Simple FIle Sharing" in Win XP - anything shared can be accessed by anyone - including the Oppo. This lets you also ignore the username and password fields presented by the Oppo and connect without them.

3) Password protected sharing ON - this is better security, depending on how much you care about that. If you have it set ON, when you Connect from the Oppo you will have to enter a username and password. However it has to be in the following format or it will not work:

Username = computer_name\username ---> for example if the computer is called XPS15, I would enter XPS15\stevepow (make sure you use a backslash "\").
Password = password --- > whatever your password is.

This should work also on Windows 8 unless whatever was added to Live Essentials became embedded into Windows 8.

Like I said, at the end of the day, for me it was more about getting to the bottom of it and making it work rather than reaching any useful solution as the interface is so remedial; there are much better ways to play Music through the Oppo.

Enjoy and if any detail is unclear, I can do some screen shots or clarify.

Steve
post #2635 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

I have not, I will try and test that tonight.

Thanks - save me the trouble 'cause I'm dying to know now. I'm nearly willing to remove Live Essentials for a try - and not that big of a deal to put it back afterwards anyway...and for me the name is a bit of a misnomer. tongue.gif
post #2636 of 10197
Anyone tried disabling the "Windows Live Sign-in Assistant" service as shown here install of uninstalling the whole Live Essentials package?

Haven't found the service for WIN 8 yet...it may be buried deep in the OS.
post #2637 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

And with virtually every other third party implementation as well. But it supports SMBv1 and SMBv2 out of the box. The fact that it has SMBv3 is not the issue at all.
If you, for any reason, suspect that SMBv1 support is disabled on your Windows 8 box you can change it, see:
How to enable and disable SMBv1, SMBv2, and SMBv3
Chris
But if you disable SMB2 and SMB3 (the 2 goes together) then other HomeGroup computer stop talking to you.
post #2638 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Anyone tried disabling the "Windows Live Sign-in Assistant" service as shown here install of uninstalling the whole Live Essentials package?
Haven't found the service for WIN 8 yet...it may be buried deep in the OS.

wlidsvc - now known as Microsoft Account Sign-in assistant. I would be careful with this one, especially if you are singing into Windows 8 with the recommend Windows Live ID (email ID). There's a place to switch the sign-in back to standard windows account: switch to local account - do that before messing around with this service.
Edited by stevepow - 1/9/13 at 4:19pm
post #2639 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

wlidsvc - now known as Microsoft Account Sing-in assistant. I would be careful with this one, especially if you are singing into Windows 8 with the recommend Windows Live ID (email ID). There's a place to switch the sign-in back to standard windows account: switch to local account - do that before messing around with this service.

I just disabled SMBv2/3 and disabled the Account Sign-in Assistance service on my WIN 8 box still no luck with the Oppo.
Luckily I haven't been using a Live ID. Back to the drawing board.
post #2640 of 10197
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

. . . .

The USB is much better than wireless but still has audio drop outs. The funny thing I can play the same content that has the audio drop outs in window media player with an optical cable to my Denon AVR-5308 and get no dropouts.

Thanks very much for the replies.

Are you getting ANY audio dropouts AT ALL while playing shiny discs? I'm beginning to suspect that what's actually going on here is an HDMI problem and not anything specify to the USB or wireless media file playback. (It might possibly be a problem with your HDMI connections, but what I'm actually thinking is that it is a bug in formatting the HDMI audio output.)

Are the files that are giving your problems stereo audio? Try some multi-channel audio files and see if they produce the same problem.

Also try switching between HDMI Audio Bitstream and HDMI Audio LPCM to see if the problem happens both ways. If you are using Analog audio output, try setting HDMI Audio OFF.
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread