- "For sheer utility and sound quality, its hard to beat the Oppo BDP-105"
- "you won’t find a better Blu-ray player for reference-quality video playback"
- "Allowing you to tap into the reference-quality DAC and video processing so the rest of your system can benefit is a feature that truly sets the Oppo apart"
Yes, indeed I wish it were all true.
But wait a minute:
- Where's the "sheer utility" when the audio is so delayed the show is not watchable? Plus the delay isn't even consistent. I started out with a tolerable delay last evening that became totally intolerable just by plugging in the headphones.
- Are the reviewers changing the default on the QDEO sharpness to get reference quality? Or is their box working properly with the factory default?
I'm personally not sure whether or not the +1 as suggested by Bob is not too sharp, or that at 0 the picture is "fuzzed" - but it is softer. But which setting really provides "reference quality" I can't answer.
- Once again, "tapping in" would be great if audio/video sync were maintained and no audio delay occurred.
There are a lot of things I love about this box. It does sound great, it does look great. But, as it is at the time of this writing, it fails to properly do the "sheer utility" of items it is supposed to.