or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 14

post #391 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman View Post

Bob, I knew I could count on you.

I had sworn off being an early adopter back when I bought my first Flat Screen DLP 50 incher for $4,500.00! Perhaps I should use my 30 day return and wait for Oppo to address the bugs and then get a ready for market product......(I still love you Oppo!)

Do be sure you saw my second post about the likelihood of a setup error in your Receiver since you are now bypassing it for video. Fixing that may reduce the error, for shiny disc playback in particular, below the level you can spot it.
--Bob
post #392 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikmer View Post

I am having a very hard time hearing a substantial difference between my outboard DAC and the 105 onboard DAC. I am not going to say I am the most critical person out there, but for my money I will be keeping the 103 with my external DAC. Don't get me wrong, the 105 is good but my equipment and ears just can't tell a huge difference. For instance the difference between the 103 and my DAC is very obvious so I will be using the 103 as a transport or getting a third party upgrade in the future.
Fair point, and thanks for your insights!
Given that I'm upgrading from 83SE, I'll go right to the 105, and IF the sound is 'not good enough' i'll consider adding an outboard DAC (but the likelihood seems faint at this point).
post #393 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've not tried AppleTV with the HDMI Inputs, nor have I tried an iPod dock with Optical Digital connection to the Optical Digital input, but I see no reason why either should give you problems. The OPPO can not handle ALAC formatted music files directly, but as played by the iPod it should work. And yes, any audio accepted on the HDMI or Optical Digital inputs will be processed by the same high quality audio in the 105 used for shiny disc playback.
Perhaps someone else here can give this a try for you and report.
--Bob

Thanks for your reply,from your kindly explanation,my understanding would be the 105's built-in DAC will handle all digital inputs (from HDMI-in, optical in) and covert digital signals into analog in good quality, am I right? I am really new to this kind of 'technology' thing, so I have to be sure in order to make the purchase.

And does the built-in volume control work well with active speakers?

Also, would oppo 105 has lip sync problems with panasonic plasma tv while playing DVD or blu ray? As I don' plan to use av receiver to adjust lip sync.

Many thanks
Edited by Mivsbai - 11/24/12 at 6:26pm
post #394 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikmer View Post

I don't listen to multichannel so I can't say for sure. I am strictly a two channel guy

You really owe it to yourself to hear a high-quality multichannel setup with SACDs. You get a three-dimensional soundstage, and (at least for classical recordings) the labels aren't making the dumb quadrophonic mistake of junking up the rear channels with instruments. They keep the musicians in front, where they belong, and just send back-of-the-room ambience to the rears. It's a striking effect.
post #395 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

How do you think the Electrical Engineer designs these devices?. Hint, it's done based on a fundamental understanding of the perceptual importance of various specifications. Pick up a copy of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society and you will see that it's full of articles discussing how objectively measured parameters affect perception.
Dr. Sean Olive, head of R&D at Harman International publishes an excellent blog describing some of their work along these lines.
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/
Sure, users often buy based on subjective impressions. But there is no particular reason to believe these buying decisions are anything close to optimal. And there is the fact that audio equipment marketing and the sales process is often designed to take advantage of emotional response and discourage analytical thinking.
This subjective buying process is why we get products like Shatiki stones, LP demagnetizers and audiophile fuses.

First, I won't post again on this topic. Second, I fully respect everyone's decision on how they buy equipment. Good for you!

OK, so two things here I want to comment on.

"Pick up a copy of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society and you will see that it's full of articles discussing how objectively measured parameters affect perception."

Have never picked up a copy of AES, it's great to hear that they are doing this smile.gif This is what science can do to provide an interpretation of the music that connects with people. I hope they succeed. My view is that this is not easy to do and just looking at the standard specs is no guarantee of great sound. Again, my take is that each component is the chain is important. There is a reason a Steinway is preferred by many pianists. I doubt they insist on playing one because it has great specs... even though there is tremendous technology to build a piano. Rather, they play it because it allows them to express themselves musically better than an upright Yamaha. So moving from the source side to the output side, I follow the same paradigm. Each component in the playback chain must be able to impart the feel of the music. The specs are important to a point, but ultimately, if it cannot convey the intent of the performance, well, the specs don't matter. Now, we don't actually play a BDP-105, but we do integrate it into our systems, pick the coat hanger, er cables, speakers, speaker placement, cross-over, and of course the music - all for me, my ears, and my brain interpreting the sound. All of these things build into a system synergy that, when it's right, is just an unbelievable joy. My experience is that specs alone will not give you joy.

"Sure, users often buy based on subjective impressions. But there is no particular reason to believe these buying decisions are anything close to optimal."

Nor should they be. We are talking about people buying a component to listen to art. How does one optimize that? If someone enjoys the presentation more because they just love the jewel like look of their deck, than that is fantastic. If they enjoy it more because they know they saved thousands of dollars and looks don't affect the sound, that, too, is fantastic. What colour and intensity of light should you use to illuminate your pictures in your art gallery? Is it the optimal one, or the one that brings out the feeling and speaks best to you? Does a Selmer sound better than a Vito? How does one optimize that? People are different and enjoy different aspects of their art collection. Please, oh please, let us not optimize artistic expression and interpretation.

As we go more and more digital, I suppose there will be less and less need for building a synergistic system. That will be a phenomenal accomplishment by the AES as they'll have designed the average system purchased at Walmart to be capable of bringing a person great joy and/or tears. Until then, I'll be buying great sounding components, like the BDP-105, because they convey the essence of the music and not because they're either optimal or have great specs.

Styln
post #396 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

To continue the discussion of specs versus musicality of a component(alas!) ...
A case in point is the ESS9018 DAC reference board from ESS Technologies. This board measures extremely well and it has to, to show off its awesome technical specs that the 9018 dac has BUT .... it sounds horrible according to Oppo. Hence design changes have to be instituted after the dac to make the board sound extremely pleasant and musical as shown in the Oppo 83SE, 95 and now the 105.

I had the same thought. It would be fascinating to know what Oppo had to do to make the DACs sound good, and why they had to do it, because in theory the reference board should have sounded spectacular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

To continue the discussion of specs versus musicality of a component(alas!) ...
An obvious case in point is a tube based PCB versus a transistor based one.Consesus is that a tube based design is more pleasant ot the ears than an equivalent transistor one(if thats ever possible to build). Many reasons have been offered as to the reason why but the consesus is the distortion profile of a tube design having even-order harmonics at a high level which are pleasant to the ear versus odd-ordered harmonics of a transistor design which are believed to sound very harsh to the ear.

That's not really the consensus, it's just the consensus among tube afficionados (which I used to be one of). Depending on circuit topology, impedance, load, competence of the designers, etc. it's possible to make a great-sounding circuit with either technology. It's also possible to make a terrible-sounding circuit with either technology.

It's true that tubes soft-clip (clip "euphoniously") compared to transistors. But if a circuit is clipping, something has already gone horribly wrong (unless done deliberately, for example to fuzz up an electric guitar).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_sound

But I'll shut up now. This was originally a discussion about whether removing DAC stacking from the 105 would compromise it compared to the 95. Eventually someone will put both of them on a bench and measure to see if there are any objective differences.

Update: I asked Oppo why a pure specs-driving approach wouldn't work, and they said:

"The reference boards are designed to measure precisely to the specifications designed for the chipset, but do not take into consideration any of the other engineering which goes into the other components of the system. For this reason it is not possible to obtain the reference levels of the chipsets in a real world engineering application.

All of our work is done subjectively and objectively. If we had relied solely on objective testing, then we would have just used the reference board only to find that it sound terrible. If we relied only on objective testing, then we may remove the accuracy that our customers have demanded from us over the years.

For our product design we are using high quality op-amps, WIMA and ELNA capacitors, a very large and clean toroidal power processor and an expansive linear power supply to ensure that the analog board receives the best consistent power. Overall the design of the player retains much of the objective measurements of the original reference board while also sounding very good to subjective listening.

As for the endless debates of subjective versus objective analysis, this is something that we try to keep out of. Our literature and website are designed to be informative, but not hyperbolic. We want our customers to make an informed purchasing decision, but ultimately want their ears to determine if the player suits their needs or not."
Edited by jimshowalter - 11/25/12 at 5:47pm
post #397 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivsbai View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I've not tried AppleTV with the HDMI Inputs, nor have I tried an iPod dock with Optical Digital connection to the Optical Digital input, but I see no reason why either should give you problems. The OPPO can not handle ALAC formatted music files directly, but as played by the iPod it should work. And yes, any audio accepted on the HDMI or Optical Digital inputs will be processed by the same high quality audio in the 105 used for shiny disc playback.
Perhaps someone else here can give this a try for you and report.
--Bob

Thanks for your reply,from your kindly explanation,my understanding would be the 105's built-in DAC will handle all digital inputs (from HDMI-in, optical in) and covert digital signals into analog in good quality, am I right? I am really new to this kind of 'technology' thing, so I have to be sure in order to make the purchase.

And does the built-in volume control work well with active speakers?

Also, would oppo 105 has lip sync problems with panasonic plasma tv while playing DVD or blu ray? As I don' plan to use av receiver to adjust lip sync.

Many thanks

The "DACs" are the Digital to Analog Converters. Whenever you are listening to the Analog outputs of the 105, the DACs in the 105 are in action. Whenever you are listening to the Digital audio outputs of the 105 (HDMI or Optical/Coax) the DACs in the 105 are *NOT* involved. Instead the DACs in your Receiver or sound processor are doing this job.

So yes, if you play audio into an Input on the 105, and use any of the Analog audio outputs of the 105 for listening, then the high quality DACs in the 105 are doing the work.

The built-in Volume control on the 105 should work just fine with your active speakers. Do be aware that if you do a settings RESET (as for example after a firmware install), that Volume is reset to 100. So set it back down lower again before you wake up your neighbors.

There are some audio / video sync errors being worked on right now. As it turns out, for shiny disc playback, audio / video sync is CORRECT on the Analog outputs compared to HDMI 1 video for all combinations other than 1080p/24 video output. So even in the current, 1114B Public Beta firmware. If you use Analog audio for shiny disc playback and set 1080p/24 OFF, you will have correct sync at the outputs of the player. (1080p/24 needs 75ms additional audio delay added.) If you use the INPUTS of the player there are still some audio/video sync errors that OPPO needs to correct. So this may be noticeable when you try your AppleTV.
--Bob
post #398 of 10056
Mivsbai
I use Apple TV into the oppo bdp105 hdmi inputs. It works like a champ. I haven't done any critical listening but to me it sounds good. I spent of my few days with the oppo with mostly multichannel and Xlr outputs. Pete
post #399 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiski View Post

Do you have a Synology NAS as well? I was able to make it work with Windows Media Server but it took a lot tries before it stabilized. It might be a compatibility issue between Synology and BDP-105.

No. I have a DIY file server running Ubuntu Linux 12.04.1 LTS.
post #400 of 10056
The 1114B beta firmware seems to have troubles with the Banshee Rookery scene (scene 16) in Avatar (2-D). Tried it several times, and every time the problem was present. Plays a few seconds... then hangs up for a few seconds... plays a few more seconds... hangs up... and so on. I've reverted to the stock 1018 firmware and the problem seems to be gone.
post #401 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by emylly View Post

I'm using the 105 without a receiver/processor.

I have three identical active speakers for LF, RF, C (ATC SCM10), and a 4-channel power amp with an input gain dial powering the 4 passive surround speakers, and a powered sub (ATC C2).

All speaker set to small, cross over at 80hz.

Using the Oppo's test tones in the Speaker Config screen i first match the surrounds using the gain dial on the power amp.

The three speakers across the front are the same so no adjustments needed.

So I'm at 0db trims in the Oppo for all speakers except the sub.

In order to match SPL for the sub (using Radio Shack digital SPL meter, slow, c-weighting) I have to max the Level knob on the sub and max the trim in the Oppo (+10db) Speaker Setup screen.

Even then I am about 1-2 db shy of a match.

I'm pretty sure bass-man Bob said it was ideal to be a few db high on the sub level?

So that means I'm off by almost 5db.

I also recall you (Bob) menitoned that the +10db would have to be applied externally?

So I'm pretty sure I've either done this wrong, won't be able to do it or both.

I do have plans to get an analog preamp back into the mix (Parasound P7) - mainly to add my turntable back into the mix. But I'm seeing now that that pre-amps's +10db trims might be necessary.

Thanks for any further advice.

Unless your Sub is way too small for your room, it is pretty unlikely that max Volume on the Sub plus the +10dB boost you've put into the OPPO settings would be insufficient.

Check the Manual for your Sub and make sure you haven't accidentally wired to its High Level input rather than its Line Level input. (The High Level input is intended to be wired to the output of a Power Amp.)

Also check and make sure you have disabled any internal crossover processing in the Sub -- or set it to the highest possible frequency if you can't disable it altogether. If that's mistakenly set to a low frequency, you are telling the Sub to discard most of its input.

If you really do have everything hooked up properly and still can't get enough volume from the Sub, then the correct solution is to get a bigger Sub (or a 2nd Sub).

HOWEVER, as a workaround for the moment you can balance things by lowering the output Volume trim for the OTHER speakers. You could do that by lowering the gains for all 3 in your pre-amp or lowering their output volume trims in the OPPO.

But really, what you are reporting sounds to me like a big Red Flag that you don't have your Sub wired/configured correctly.
--Bob


I am considering buying the 105 for use directly into my Parasound 5 channel Power Amp. The 105 will be directly connected to my powered sub. The volume control and the multi channel setup is a bit worrying to me.

1. Somebody in an earlier post mentioned improper functioning of the Vol. Control which i also experienced with my 83SE. The volume would get stuck at some point (requiring a restart) or sometimes jump to a higher level. Also it would be nice if the initial set up screen would include the choice of fixed/variable vol. control with level setting after a factory reset, to avoid damaging the speakers since Oppo says that the 105 can be used to connect directly to a Power Amp.

2. If someone could give a detailed review of how the multichannel setup works especialley with the subwoofer channel attenuation in a direct setup, it would help me decide.

Thanks for your responses in advance.
post #402 of 10056

I know Oppo is very capable of fixing whatever FW problems they may have with these new units but still, its quite unsettling to read about new problems due to FW(mostly?). I know these are teething problems for Oppo but will hold off from selling my ISO-capable 95 until these errors settle down to a trickle. Ofcourse, i could throw caution to the wind once i read new reviews with better-than-Oppo95 technical measurements from Secrets, Audioholics and othersbiggrin.gif!

post #403 of 10056
Has anyone been running an HTPC with a media app front end (JRiver, XBMC etc) through their 105? Any problems in that regard?

Dave
Edited by dave in gva - 11/25/12 at 4:23am
post #404 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The "DACs" are the Digital to Analog Converters. Whenever you are listening to the Analog outputs of the 105, the DACs in the 105 are in action. Whenever you are listening to the Digital audio outputs of the 105 (HDMI or Optical/Coax) the DACs in the 105 are *NOT* involved. Instead the DACs in your Receiver or sound processor are doing this job.
So yes, if you play audio into an Input on the 105, and use any of the Analog audio outputs of the 105 for listening, then the high quality DACs in the 105 are doing the work.
The built-in Volume control on the 105 should work just fine with your active speakers. Do be aware that if you do a settings RESET (as for example after a firmware install), that Volume is reset to 100. So set it back down lower again before you wake up your neighbors.
There are some audio / video sync errors being worked on right now. As it turns out, for shiny disc playback, audio / video sync is CORRECT on the Analog outputs compared to HDMI 1 video for all combinations other than 1080p/24 video output. So even in the current, 1114B Public Beta firmware. If you use Analog audio for shiny disc playback and set 1080p/24 OFF, you will have correct sync at the outputs of the player. (1080p/24 needs 75ms additional audio delay added.) If you use the INPUTS of the player there are still some audio/video sync errors that OPPO needs to correct. So this may be noticeable when you try your AppleTV.
--Bob

Again, thanks for your explanation bob. For my case, I will connect my active speakers directly to 105's analog audio out sockets, and connect 105 to tv through hdmi out, so as long as I turn off the 1080p/24, I should not expierence sync errors, am I right?

Thanks
post #405 of 10056
I also have an apple tv plugged into Hdmi 1 in the back. Works great.

One issue I noticed though. With old DVDs (I listen to a lot of opera recordings on DVD) the video processor kicks in and the video quality is just amazing. But with YouTube through the apple tv running through the Hdmi input, it doesn't seem to get the same audio and video scrubbing so it doesn't look or sound as good. Since the digital signal is running through the same dac, shouldn't the video and audio sound the same? Or is that a function of the lower digital quality of YouTube downloads? I guess same question as apple lossless music through the home network vs a shiny disk in the tray.

Thanks in advance.
post #406 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkny View Post

Or is that a function of the lower digital quality of YouTube downloads?

Welcome to AVSForum.

That is the likely explanation. The player doesn't know whether the input signal is coming from DVD or YouTube. It does what it can with the input.

-Bill
post #407 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Welcome to AVSForum.
That is the likely explanation. The player doesn't know whether the input signal is coming from DVD or YouTube. It does what it can with the input.
-Bill

Thanks. Make sense. Not to open a whole other can of warm, but does anyone know in general, what's the quality difference between say a DVD or cd vs a YouTube file, even one claiming to be high quality?
post #408 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post

Mivsbai
I use Apple TV into the oppo bdp105 hdmi inputs. It works like a champ. I haven't done any critical listening but to me it sounds good. I spent of my few days with the oppo with mostly multichannel and Xlr outputs. Pete

Thanks for let menknow apple tv can work well with oppo 105, do you experience any audio/video sync errors while use the set up?
post #409 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

First, I won't post again on this topic. Second, I fully respect everyone's decision on how they buy equipment. Good for you!
OK, so two things here I want to comment on.
"Pick up a copy of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society and you will see that it's full of articles discussing how objectively measured parameters affect perception."
Have never picked up a copy of AES, it's great to hear that they are doing this smile.gif This is what science can do to provide an interpretation of the music that connects with people. I hope they succeed. My view is that this is not easy to do and just looking at the standard specs is no guarantee of great sound. Again, my take is that each component is the chain is important. There is a reason a Steinway is preferred by many pianists. I doubt they insist on playing one because it has great specs... even though there is tremendous technology to build a piano. Rather, they play it because it allows them to express themselves musically better than an upright Yamaha. So moving from the source side to the output side, I follow the same paradigm. Each component in the playback chain must be able to impart the feel of the music. The specs are important to a point, but ultimately, if it cannot convey the intent of the performance, well, the specs don't matter. Now, we don't actually play a BDP-105, but we do integrate it into our systems, pick the coat hanger, er cables, speakers, speaker placement, cross-over, and of course the music - all for me, my ears, and my brain interpreting the sound. All of these things build into a system synergy that, when it's right, is just an unbelievable joy. My experience is that specs alone will not give you joy.
"Sure, users often buy based on subjective impressions. But there is no particular reason to believe these buying decisions are anything close to optimal."
Nor should they be. We are talking about people buying a component to listen to art. How does one optimize that? If someone enjoys the presentation more because they just love the jewel like look of their deck, than that is fantastic. If they enjoy it more because they know they saved thousands of dollars and looks don't affect the sound, that, too, is fantastic. What colour and intensity of light should you use to illuminate your pictures in your art gallery? Is it the optimal one, or the one that brings out the feeling and speaks best to you? Does a Selmer sound better than a Vito? How does one optimize that? People are different and enjoy different aspects of their art collection. Please, oh please, let us not optimize artistic expression and interpretation.
As we go more and more digital, I suppose there will be less and less need for building a synergistic system. That will be a phenomenal accomplishment by the AES as they'll have designed the average system purchased at Walmart to be capable of bringing a person great joy and/or tears. Until then, I'll be buying great sounding components, like the BDP-105, because they convey the essence of the music and not because they're either optimal or have great specs.
Styln

Stylin,

+1. You knocked it out of the park with this post. Nicely done!smile.gif Unfortunately some hear specs and use those specs to sometimes explain the differences between 2 transports especially if it favors their transport of choice.biggrin.gif
post #410 of 10056
I have the apple tv through Hdmi in the back, Hdmi video 1 to my tv and stereo analog output to my preamp. It's very slight, but I want to say the sound is slightly before the video.
post #411 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

You really owe it to yourself to hear a high-quality multichannel setup with SACDs. You get a three-dimensional soundstage, and (at least for classical recordings) the labels aren't making the dumb quadrophonic mistake of junking up the rear channels with instruments. They keep the musicians in front, where they belong, and just send back-of-the-room ambience to the rears. It's a striking effect.

Thanks, I typically listen to vinyl and already spent this years allotment of funds to a new turntable and this Oppo. Perhaps next year if I get so enthusiastic, and there is material that I would actually listen to I could buy on Bluray then I woudl pull the trigger.

On another note, last night the Oppo 105 decided to come alive. At higher listening volumes the 105 really does a stand up job. Less digital edge, more space and less grainy on the highs. The jury is still out for me.
post #412 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsauvage View Post

Fair point, and thanks for your insights!
Given that I'm upgrading from 83SE, I'll go right to the 105, and IF the sound is 'not good enough' i'll consider adding an outboard DAC (but the likelihood seems faint at this point).

Yeah you can't go wrong with the 105, I am just really trying to justify the expenditure of the price difference. However recently, I have found the Oppo to to sound more to my liking. At higher volumes it really does a nice job.
post #413 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

First, I won't post again on this topic. Second, I fully respect everyone's decision on how they buy equipment. Good for you!
OK, so two things here I want to comment on.
"Pick up a copy of the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society and you will see that it's full of articles discussing how objectively measured parameters affect perception."
Have never picked up a copy of AES, it's great to hear that they are doing this smile.gif This is what science can do to provide an interpretation of the music that connects with people. I hope they succeed. My view is that this is not easy to do and just looking at the standard specs is no guarantee of great sound.

I think you greatly underestimate the progress that has been made in this area. Major companies like Harman have succeeded in using analytical approaches to designing great sounding equipment, and now do so on a routine basis.

This is pretty well captured in this article, which was written 14 years ago.

http://www.harmanaudio.com/all_about_audio/audio_art_science.pdf
post #414 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I think you greatly underestimate the progress that has been made in this area. Major companies like Harman have succeeded in using analytical approaches to designing great sounding equipment, and now do so on a routine basis.
This is pretty well captured in this article, which was written 14 years ago.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/all_about_audio/audio_art_science.pdf

"Listeners with hearing loss not only exhibit high judgment variability, they can also exhibit strong individualistic biases in their judgments. This comes as no surprise, since such individuals are really in search of a “prosthetic” loudspeaker that somehow compensates for their disability. Since the disabilities vary enormously, so do the biases."


How many are here?biggrin.gif
post #415 of 10056
Everyone/Anyone,

Here's a question I have been pondering for sometime now ;wink.gif and am curious as to what some of the other Oppo owners are doing with respect to TV calibration with the Oppo input and then using pass-through mode (e.g. for things like PS3, XBox360, AppleTV etc.). Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Cheers.

Tony
post #416 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I think you greatly underestimate the progress that has been made in this area. Major companies like Harman have succeeded in using analytical approaches to designing great sounding equipment, and now do so on a routine basis.
This is pretty well captured in this article, which was written 14 years ago.
http://www.harmanaudio.com/all_about_audio/audio_art_science.pdf

Agree 100%. Drs Toole & Olive have been at the forefront of this incredible research for decades beginning here in Ottawa at the NRC. Dr. Toole's book, Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms is the bible for this science.

Cheers.
post #417 of 10056
I hate these debates because the forums tend to degenerate into posters who are only defending their positions. In fact, the quoted article by Floyd Toole summarized things pretty well:

"The simple fact is that, without science, there would be no audio as we know it. Without extensive and
meticulous subjective evaluation, there would be no audio science as we know it. Without audio science, audio
engineering reverts to trial and error. So, where does this leave us? Clearly, to be successful in this business,
one must be actively involved with both of the objective and subjective sides.
A faith in the scientific method is not a blind faith. It is a faith built on a growing trust that measurements
can guide us to produce better sounding products at every price level, for every application. The proof, as
always, is in the listening, and one MUST listen."

I'll let Floyd have the last word.
post #418 of 10056
I replaced the Oppo BDP83SE with the 105. Using the XLR outputs and the Multichannel 5.1 outs, the analog sound is substantially better than the 83SE, The highs and mids are smoother and the bass is tighter. Overall sound is more refined than the 83SE. I used a Cambridge Audio 840C Cd player for cd when I had the 83E. Although the difference are harder to locate, the Oppo 105 sounds better to me than the Cambridge Audio 840C. I will do some more critical listening before I decide to ditch the 840C altogether.
post #419 of 10056
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

Just ran across a problem with subtitles - if the .srt file uses standard Unix line breaks (line feed) the subtitles are not rendered correctly. With standard DOS line (carriage return and line feed) breaks they are. Have not tested yet with standard Mac line breaks (carriage return).

Send your results to OPPO support. I've been asking for external subtitle improvements; UTF8 encoding instead of the cp1252 extended ascii used now.

This sort of change needs to be done by Mediatek.That can take some time.

-Bill
post #420 of 10056
What is the recommended specs for a computer capable of running the software in a reasonable length of time.

How long would it take to run 17x17x17?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread