or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 212

post #6331 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

I do not know myself, but why not just contact Oppo directly? They will give you the answer you are looking for.

See the response from OPPO: "The silver is bonded to brushed aluminum during the manufacturing process and is not simply painted on to the surface."
post #6332 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Has anyone tried a pair of Byerdynamic T1 headphones with the 105? Can the headphone output sufficiently drive them?
Yes!
post #6333 of 10139
I'm thinking of doing Sonos or something like it and want to start the process by ripping all my CDs to an external drive (that'll give me a chance to decide on Sonos or other similar system while getting the rips done). I want the drive to be compatible with both my 105 and Sonos so when I want I could use the USB connection direct to the Oppo 105 and also have the drive on all the time so it could be accessed by Sonos (if this is possible). I don't want my computer to be powered on all the time, just the drive(s). What drive(s) would make the most sense for my needs?

Buffalo drives have been mentioned to me. Or perhaps a Synology NAS. What do you think of them?

Also, was thinking of two identical drives so I could back the primary drive up. How would you do it?

Finally, looking to spend less $$ than more $$. That is kind of the lure of the project, seems kindof inexpensive. Don't want to spend thousands. Though with a controller (iPad mini), HDD, a couple speakers and Bridge, not really so cheap. Maybe I'm fooling myself.
post #6334 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Has anyone tried a pair of Byerdynamic T1 headphones with the 105? Can the headphone output sufficiently drive them?

I tried the T1 cans for a few weeks and found their top end unbearably artificial and shrill. Regardless, of the DAC you use with them, make sure you can return the phones (as did I) with no restocking fee.
As for driving them, the 105 will get sound out of even the most inefficient headphones, but making them sound decent is another story -- and with the 105's tendency towards brightness, the Oppo and Beyerdynamics can make for a deadly combo.
post #6335 of 10139
All:

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following:

I'm currently running all of my A/V gear through a DVDO Edge scaler/processor, including my Tivo Premiere and my Oppo BDP-83. I just bought the BDP-105 and was wondering if I now can ditch the DVDO Edge from my system (thus 1 less box and less complicated cabling) and simply run the TiVO through the 105 and its HDMI input.

Has anyone done this and liked the scaling result?

Thx.
John
post #6336 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger877 View Post

I tried the T1 cans for a few weeks and found their top end unbearably artificial and shrill. Regardless, of the DAC you use with them, make sure you can return the phones (as did I) with no restocking fee.
As for driving them, the 105 will get sound out of even the most inefficient headphones, but making them sound decent is another story -- and with the 105's tendency towards brightness, the Oppo and Beyerdynamics can make for a deadly combo.

Yikes! Thanks for the input. I'd definitely buy them from a dealer with a good return policy. My Stax phones sound great, but I'm looking for a pair of sealed phones that come close to their transparency and detail. Are there any others that would work well with the 105 that meet that criteria?
post #6337 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

See the response from OPPO: "The silver is bonded to brushed aluminium during the manufacturing process and is not simply painted on to the surface."

Sound right to me. Visually, the silver is very attractive with both the front and cover being silver in colour. I have a very limited vocabulary when it comes to visuals, but I'd say the silver is slightly lighter in colour than the rest of my equipment and has a very finished texture. My Musical Fidelity equipment is traditional brushed aluminium with the grain clearly visible. The Marantz amp is champagne and so a bit darker than the MF kit. That said, it also shows the grain of the metal. The silver Oppo does not show a grain, but it is very attractive, looks, and feels solid.

Styln
post #6338 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnbone View Post

All:

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the following:

I'm currently running all of my A/V gear through a DVDO Edge scaler/processor, including my Tivo Premiere and my Oppo BDP-83. I just bought the BDP-105 and was wondering if I now can ditch the DVDO Edge from my system (thus 1 less box and less complicated cabling) and simply run the TiVO through the 105 and its HDMI input.

Has anyone done this and liked the scaling result?

Thx.
John

I did. I had upgraded from the Edge to the iScan, but that box is now out of the setup. The output from a DirecTV HD-DVR goes to the HDMI input of the Oppo 105. HDMI-1 from the 105 goes directly to a Sony VPL-50 projecting onto a 100" 16 X 9 screen; HDMI-2 goes to a 32" Sony monitor. Audio is analog. The video processing of the 105 seems at least a good as that of the iScan, and that's pretty damn good.

db
post #6339 of 10139
DB:

Thanks for the input and experience. I appreciate it and will try it.

JS
post #6340 of 10139
Some thing strange happened when using 105 to play m2ts video files. Couple of movies that were played on 95, cannot be played on 105. It would run to decode to 10% and got stuck there! Any thought?


Alex:)
post #6341 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

Some thing strange happened when using 105 to play m2ts video files. Couple of movies that were played on 95, cannot be played on 105. It would run to decode to 10% and got stuck there! Any thought?


Alex:)

I don't recall any other reports of that. Are you using current firmware?

Is this over the network or on local storage? If on the network, could you try one of the files on local storage?

If on local storage, could you verify that you get the same behavior if you copy the file to different media?

If still no good, contact OPPO with the details and offer them a sample file.

-Bill
post #6342 of 10139
I am having the same problem with a few m2ts files. The oppo stops streaming at 10% and the player hangs. Only a power recycle will back the oppo to normal.
The files are stored on a local hard drive and the oppo is on the latest beta firmware.

I don't have a BDP-93 to try. But, the same files didn't play through Mac Bluray player and VLC on a MAC. So the problem could be the file also.
post #6343 of 10139
Sigh, I'll just wait until I can see one in person (not sure how), or until by chance, someone who owns a silver one posts a clear up close picture. I fully understand HOW the paint is on/ bonded. What generally can't be adequately described (I did say GENERALLY) is how something looks. The adage about a picture and 999+ words seems to apply here. It's no big deal. I had already decided i'd go with black or strip the "anodizing" off to get to the brushed metal underneath (did so with my Adcom amps- I like the look). I'd REALLY rather not have done that with the Oppo based on it's cost, resale, and the current issues with the unit. In addition, i'd lose all of the face place markings unless they are etched (OK on an amp with a power switch only... not so much on an Uber awesome BR player). Plug and play with the ability to unload if needed WOULD be ideal, but aesthetics mean almost as much to me as performance. Please no, then why did you get Adcom amps comments, lol. They work very well for me in my set up and now they look the business!!!biggrin.gif
post #6344 of 10139
You are aware of Oppo's return policy on new orders, yes?
post #6345 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post

Sigh, I'll just wait until I can see one in person (not sure how), or until by chance, someone who owns a silver one posts a clear up close picture. I fully understand HOW the paint is on/ bonded. What generally can't be adequately described (I did say GENERALLY) is how something looks. The adage about a picture and 999+ words seems to apply here. It's no big deal. I had already decided i'd go with black or strip the "anodizing" off to get to the brushed metal underneath (did so with my Adcom amps- I like the look). I'd REALLY rather not have done that with the Oppo based on it's cost, resale, and the current issues with the unit. In addition, i'd lose all of the face place markings unless they are etched (OK on an amp with a power switch only... not so much on an Uber awesome BR player). Plug and play with the ability to unload if needed WOULD be ideal, but aesthetics mean almost as much to me as performance. Please no, then why did you get Adcom amps comments, lol. They work very well for me in my set up and now they look the business!!!biggrin.gif

Did you see this post in this thread? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/5970#post_23447142
post #6346 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post

Sigh, I'll just wait until I can see one in person (not sure how), or until by chance, someone who owns a silver one posts a clear up close picture. I fully understand HOW the paint is on/ bonded. What generally can't be adequately described (I did say GENERALLY) is how something looks. The adage about a picture and 999+ words seems to apply here. It's no big deal. I had already decided i'd go with black or strip the "anodizing" off to get to the brushed metal underneath (did so with my Adcom amps- I like the look). I'd REALLY rather not have done that with the Oppo based on it's cost, resale, and the current issues with the unit. In addition, i'd lose all of the face place markings unless they are etched (OK on an amp with a power switch only... not so much on an Uber awesome BR player). Plug and play with the ability to unload if needed WOULD be ideal, but aesthetics mean almost as much to me as performance. Please no, then why did you get Adcom amps comments, lol. They work very well for me in my set up and now they look the business!!!biggrin.gif

I just did a check on Google Images and there are surprisingly few owner photos of the silver 105 out there. Folks must be too busy enjoying it to futz with their cameras.

Quite a bit apparently. The silver 105 is currently on Back Order at the OPPO Digital web site store.
--Bob
post #6347 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

New Public Beta is up: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-58-0719B.aspx

The Release Notes will be posted here shortly. But a couple items for you folks already eager to jump on it.

DO A RESET FACTORY DEFAULTS AFTER INSTALLING THIS FIRMWARE.

Jot down your settings ahead of time to speed that up.

This firmware should be a lot more robust as regards the Netflix app.
--Bob
post #6348 of 10139
Thread Starter 
Release date: July 19, 2013.
Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release
Main Version: BDP10X-58-0719B
Loader Version: 6U0900 or 7B1200 (BDP-103), 7B1200 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105)
Special Notice:

1. Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.


Comparing to the theprevious Public Beta release version BDP10X-52-0522B, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Resolved an issue where the player would slow down, and sometimes freeze entirely, when navigating files on USB connected hard drives. Several customers have reported this issue with their Western Digital external hard drives, and they had to power down the player then power it back on to restore its performance. This issue has been resolved.
2. Resolved an issue where a loud popping noise could be heard at the end of playing some WAV, MP3, and DSD music tracks.
3. Resolved an issue where accepting a cable television signal through the HDMI inputs might result in a black screen. Customers reported that if they kept changing the TV channels using the cable remote, sometimes they would only see a black screen on the TV, even though the audio was still ok. In order to restore the video, they had to force a HDMI handshake (changing the input source, hot-plug the HDMI cable, etc.).
4. Resolved a compatibility issue with certain DSD files.
5. Added support for the ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) audio format.
6. Added support for briefly displaying the current audio information on the player's front panel when switching audio tracks. The audio information is displayed as "Language, Sample rate, Number of channels", such as "ENG 192/5.1". If no language information is available, it will be displayed as "AUD, Sample rate, Number of channels".
7. Added support for directly switching the input source by pressing the INPUT button followed by a numerical button, e.g., "1" for BLU-RAY PLAYER, "2" for HDMI/MHL-IN FRONT, etc.
8. General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
post #6349 of 10139
I'm guessing this is becoming the norm as far as Oppo updates are concerned.

DO A RESET FACTORY DEFAULTS AFTER INSTALLING THIS FIRMWARE
post #6350 of 10139
Thread Starter 
It is generally not required, but these changes are rather sweeping. So to ensure that they are updated properly, I highly recommend doing a Reset Factory Defaults.
post #6351 of 10139
I had been complaining about the lockup when connected to WD drive for months now and I hear people saying they are not seeing this

look what it says in the firmware notes #1 below

1. Resolved an issue where the player would slow down, and sometimes freeze entirely, when navigating files on USB connected hard drives. Several customers have reported this issue with their Western Digital external hard drives, and they had to power down the player then power it back on to restore its performance. This issue has been resolved
post #6352 of 10139
"7. Added support for directly switching the input source by pressing the INPUT button followed by a numerical button, e.g., "1" for BLU-RAY PLAYER, "2" for HDMI/MHL-IN FRONT, etc."

This has worked for a long time. What changed with this update?
post #6353 of 10139
Thread Starter 
They probably forgot it in the previous Release Notes, so they added it in this one.
post #6354 of 10139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

I had been complaining about the lockup when connected to WD drive for months now and I hear people saying they are not seeing this

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

And I believe we (the community) has been recommending for months that people who have issues contact OPPO and look into sending their drives. We can't force you to help OPPO, we can only encourage you to do so.
post #6355 of 10139
Any headphone recommendation for the 105? I noticed Pioneer just came up wtih a new headphone.

I will use the headphones only for watching movies at night when my wife goes to bed.
post #6356 of 10139
Hurray!!! Oppo just resolved the noisy, mechanical relay clicking sounds with their newest beta firmware. I no longer hear the relay "click" when playing a different audio file type from the previous file (i.e. flac, dsf, flac, dsf, etc.), or upon playing the first dsd file after powering up my unit. All quiet now!!! I would have been ecstatic if they had finally sorted all directories and files for network attached storage before displaying on their network menu.....I thought that would have been a high priority...oh well....
post #6357 of 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

Any headphone recommendation for the 105? I noticed Pioneer just came up wtih a new headphone.

I will use the headphones only for watching movies at night when my wife goes to bed.

This link from my post 5 days ago may give you a starting point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Here's an article that discusses use of the 105's headphone output jack with various models of headphones (including a couple Beyerdynamic models):

http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/oppo-bdp-105eu-review.html

The T1's are not specifically included, but the article may give you a starting point.
--Bob


--Bob
post #6358 of 10139
I have tried the new firmware and it seems to work with the 4TB drive although I only used it 1 time so far

1 problem area; all my video files are showing a total time of 3:21 when I press info; none of the files are that length; many are longer

this is very strange

I see they have added some media player functions like 30 second skip when you press right arrow and also if you stop a file and then play it later it gives the option of starting where you left off or at the beginning

so part is good but the time of the files is a problem


I will check that again in the next couple days
post #6359 of 10139
Thread Starter 
Try putting new files on the drive. If the Index is messed up, then this may result in the files not loading properly, which will disable proper use of GOTO, Chapters and Time.
post #6360 of 10139
Has anybody noticed a serious lip sync problem on all blue rays. I am having this issue on mine. I was watching bridesmaid s last night it was so bad it looked like a dubbed Japanese karate movie. Lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread