or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 24

post #691 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

What I can't easily do and would appreciate if someone could is compare the Front L/R and dedicated stereo RCA outputs for stereo music, to see if the stereo circuit has any benefit/difference at all over the multichannel one.
You should be able to run that test with your Zektor switch. Hook the front L/R outputs up to one input on the Zektor and the dedicated stereo outputs up to another input on the Zektor. If you set the dedicated outputs to be used as front L/R, both outputs will still be active, so you should be able to switch back and forth just like you did with the 95 and 105. Just make sure the rest of the multichannel outputs aren't hooked up to the Zektor while you run this test (either hook them directly to your amps so they're used both ways or leave them completely disconnected and setup the 105 for a 2.0 downmix).
post #692 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

You should be able to run that test with your Zektor switch. Hook the front L/R outputs up to one input on the Zektor and the dedicated stereo outputs up to another input on the Zektor. If you set the dedicated outputs to be used as front L/R, both outputs will still be active, so you should be able to switch back and forth just like you did with the 95 and 105. Just make sure the rest of the multichannel outputs aren't hooked up to the Zektor while you run this test (either hook them directly to your amps so they're used both ways or leave them completely disconnected and setup the 105 for a 2.0 downmix).

True indeed...I just had a "moment" there I think, and didn't think that one through. I was thinking I needed to leave all 5.1 connections AND add the stereo pair too which of course I don't.

I am not sure anyone clarified previously, whether on the 105, there are op-amps, capacitors or any other "known" factors that could differentiate Front L/R and stereo outputs? I thought I read somewhere that the op-amps on the 95 were different between the stereo and mutli-channel outputs, but I can't find that reference now.
post #693 of 10242
If you are a guy like me who is planning to hook up a blu-ray player to a soon to be Denon 4520 AVR via HDMI and basically that will satisfy my HT requirements is there any known reason for me to consider this over the 103 model?
post #694 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

If you are a guy like me who is planning to hook up a blu-ray player to a soon to be Denon 4520 AVR via HDMI and basically that will satisfy my HT requirements is there any known reason for me to consider this over the 103 model?

No, not If you don't need the extra digital inputs or headphone amp.

-Bill
post #695 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

If you are a guy like me who is planning to hook up a blu-ray player to a soon to be Denon 4520 AVR via HDMI and basically that will satisfy my HT requirements is there any known reason for me to consider this over the 103 model?

Probably not. This model is really for people who want to hook up directly to amps or headphones and are looking for state of the art analog outputs derived from a variety of digital sources.
post #696 of 10242
I received my 105 about a week ago. I will post a review later, but what is a big surprise is that you can use Kinsky (a Linn Ipad controler) also for the BDP-105!!

Just install Kinsky from apple store, have a NAS with media programms for audio and video, and your ipad finds your Oppo as well as your NAS.

It turns out that Kinsky can find and play all of my video (mkv files), 5.1 channel wav's and all 2ch wav's. They all play excellent.

There are a few bugs however. You have to stop a song or video with your remote before you can choose another one. Sometimes the Oppo freezes. But, the big bonus is that you can play around with your ipad and use all your network content you have.

Happy Listening,
Berlin.
post #697 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin2 View Post

I received my 105 about a week ago. I will post a review later, but what is a big surprise is that you can use Kinsky (a Linn Ipad controler) also for the BDP-105!!
Just install Kinsky from apple store, have a NAS with media programms for audio and video, and your ipad finds your Oppo as well as your NAS.
It turns out that Kinsky can find and play all of my video (mkv files), 5.1 channel wav's and all 2ch wav's. They all play excellent.
There are a few bugs however. You have to stop a song or video with your remote before you can choose another one. Sometimes the Oppo freezes. But, the big bonus is that you can play around with your ipad and use all your network content you have.
Happy Listening,
Berlin.

That is quite interesting. What NAS and NAS software are you using?
post #698 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

If you are a guy like me who is planning to hook up a blu-ray player to a soon to be Denon 4520 AVR via HDMI and basically that will satisfy my HT requirements is there any known reason for me to consider this over the 103 model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No, not If you don't need the extra digital inputs or headphone amp.
-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Probably not. This model is really for people who want to hook up directly to amps or headphones and are looking for state of the art analog outputs derived from a variety of digital sources.

OK thanks guys.....I ordered the 103.
post #699 of 10242
I asked this in the OPPO 1-3 thread, but there seems to be more discussion of it in this thread. Opinions on using an OPPO 103/105 as a pre/pro?? I have an emotiva 5 channel amp and currently have a PS3 feeding a Pioneer 1018. Looking to make some changes. I only additonally use an Xbox and directv box so if I can get great sound using the OPPO connected directly to the amp I am looking for downsides?? I do understand there is an issue with volume when you first set up that you need to be careful of. But other than that has the experiment been a good one?
post #700 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

That is quite interesting. What NAS and NAS software are you using?

I have a synology DS411j

berlin
post #701 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

OtherSongs, I would say it sounds the same, as the MP-1 is really a transparent pre-amp. W/O the MP-1 I am losing the ability to play analogue content. But this is not a big loss as FM tuners are passé and I no longer own, or want to own, records or tapes. I am also losing XLR I/O to the rear channels, which removes some system flexibility, but it was a nice-to-have vs a must have for my system. The volume control is very smooth and quiet, andI find nothing either good or bad to say about it - a good thing. As I understand the ESS paper regarding the 32 bit internal DACs, they preserve SNR for 16 bit content. For 24 bit content, I assume there would be degradation, but the noise floor starts lower, so 24/96 FLAC sounds VERY good to me.
To sum it up, and get to your last question, I'd say that neither the 83SE nor the 95, had the feature set I wanted to make me treat them as other than decks/players. So I never tried direct with either of the older decks. The 105 has DLNA rendering, digital inputs, and an excellent volume control (the 83SE did not). Now the balance has tipped and the 105 is doing a fine job as a MCH pre-amp, a source for discs, network render, and eventually HTPC content.
Hope that covers it,
Styln

You can probably find several people on this thread interested in a used MP-1...
post #702 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

You can probably find several people on this thread interested in a used MP-1...

Hell ya! I've tried the Conrad Johnson MET1 and the McIntosh C45. I'd love to get my hands on a MP-1 to try out as well. I'm keeping my eye open on Audiogon, but these pre-amps with multi-channel inputs don't come around that often.
post #703 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

I asked this in the OPPO 1-3 thread, but there seems to be more discussion of it in this thread. Opinions on using an OPPO 103/105 as a pre/pro?? I have an emotiva 5 channel amp and currently have a PS3 feeding a Pioneer 1018. Looking to make some changes. I only additonally use an Xbox and directv box so if I can get great sound using the OPPO connected directly to the amp I am looking for downsides?? I do understand there is an issue with volume when you first set up that you need to be careful of. But other than that has the experiment been a good one?

I would guess that the sound quality would be good. No-one has addressed the problem of no audio sync delay on the analog outputs for video sources. How is the OPPO 105 going to know the video processing delay on my Pioneer Kuro plasma? Does it even set any audio delay by default on the analog outs? There are no settings for this. Without it, I would be rolling the dice to buy one as a pre/pro. Considering that this is the obvious use-case for this player, I can't believe that OPPO hasn't figured out a way to allow a user-set audio delay on the analog outputs (better yet -- make it selectable by input).
post #704 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post

(I've auditioned centers but they were either 1) shielded but inadequate in quality, or 2) matched tonally and sound great, but distort the picture due to inadequate shielding.

Have you tried a Martin Logan Stage or Theater-i?
post #705 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The easiest way to describe it, is that if the volume is kept low, I find myself having to listen more carefully to hear the dialogue with the 95. But with the 105, I could get the volume lower and still make out the same dialogue.

I noticed that too!
post #706 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

It's not clear to me what inputs get access to the 32 bit asynchronous DAC on my 105. Do I have to use the rear "type B" USB input to make use of the high quality DAC? What if I render FLAC files via hardwired ethernet connection; does that use the same asynch DAC as the rear USB input? I just want to make sure I'm optimizing the sound quality by using the best connection for playing back my digital music using the 105.
Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether the quality of the Cat 5/5e cable matters for connecting the 105 via ethernet to the router?
Thanks

All the inputs use the high quality 32 bit saber dac. you don't need to worry about which is better than another. All the asynch part is, is a way to use the oppo as an external DAC while playing the music files on another device. I imagine most people will not have a use for this feature. If you use a thumb drive, or usb hard drive or eathernet or DNLA etc, your using the saber32 but your using it in normal mode that's available on the 93/95/103/105. But instead of connecting a drive you can connect a computer to the 'digital audio input' USB-b connection on the back and this way the a program on the computer (or other device) is actually playing the file and the OPPO is just converting it. You don't need to do it this way unless it's a feature you need.

 

And this has been proven by the latest objective measurements (by Secrets of Home theatre magazine) of the USB Dac posted over the weekend on Sunday. USB sources measure identical to the CD/DVD-A sources.

 

"So, we finally have a signal being played through a USB port that is as good as playing it on a CD or DVD-A. This means you can store all your music, including high sampling rate (up to 24/192) on a hard drive, and connect it to one of the BDP-105's USB ports, and play it with the same quality as if you were using a disc. The end-of-days for putting CDs and DVD-As into the player is closer than we imagined."


Edited by dmusoke - 12/4/12 at 1:55pm
post #707 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Sayin View Post

(I've auditioned centers but they were either 1) shielded but inadequate in quality, or 2) matched tonally and sound great, but distort the picture due to inadequate shielding.

Have you tried a Martin Logan Stage or Theater-i?

Stage rulessmile.gif! ....sounds superb with my Spires!

post #708 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioNeil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

I asked this in the OPPO 1-3 thread, but there seems to be more discussion of it in this thread. Opinions on using an OPPO 103/105 as a pre/pro?? I have an emotiva 5 channel amp and currently have a PS3 feeding a Pioneer 1018. Looking to make some changes. I only additonally use an Xbox and directv box so if I can get great sound using the OPPO connected directly to the amp I am looking for downsides?? I do understand there is an issue with volume when you first set up that you need to be careful of. But other than that has the experiment been a good one?

I would guess that the sound quality would be good. No-one has addressed the problem of no audio sync delay on the analog outputs for video sources. How is the OPPO 105 going to know the video processing delay on my Pioneer Kuro plasma? Does it even set any audio delay by default on the analog outs? There are no settings for this. Without it, I would be rolling the dice to buy one as a pre/pro. Considering that this is the obvious use-case for this player, I can't believe that OPPO hasn't figured out a way to allow a user-set audio delay on the analog outputs (better yet -- make it selectable by input).

 Your Kuro setup needs video delays?  Why on earth are you using such a fine display for video processing? I have no video processing on mine(PRO-151FD,60"). I set to dot-to-dot mode and have have it already calibrated by an ISF professional. All the delays in my system are set to zero(granted i have an Oppo 95 which feeds into my anthem d2v pre-pro) which feeds into my Kuro. No delay settings needed whatsover... Something else is going on, probably the A/V sync problems exhibited in the current Oppo 105 firmware.

post #709 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The Perils of Pauline's Blu-ray Player: Episode 4!

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/universal-players/universal-players-reviews/oppo-bdp-105-universal-player/page-4-on-the-bench.html

The next, exciting installment of the Secrets of Home Theater's serial review of the BDP-105 is now live! This one focusses on certain, additional, audio bench test results.

By the way, those folks are also working on a video review -- based on the BDP-103 since the video setup is identical in the two players. That should be available "real soon now".

In the comments for the BDP-105 review you will find this from the guy working on the video review:

Quote:
Chris Heinonen: The BDP-103 review is being finished up right now. But if you are worried about video performance, don't be, as it's fantastic.

--Bob

 

Cool ... thx for the update. Have you noticed Secrets measured a THD+N spec for the headphone output as 0.009% yet Oppo lists it as < 0.001%? Do you know why it measures 9X worse than Oppo's spec?

 

Thanks,

David

 

PS

I'm obviuosly not clued in here at all but what is meaning of your headline... The Perils of Pauline's Blu-ray Player???tongue.gif

post #710 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I'm obviuosly not clued in here at all but what is meaning of your headline... The Perils of Pauline's Blu-ray Player???tongue.gif

It helps to be as old as Bob: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perils_of_Pauline_%281914_serial%29

-Bill
post #711 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I'm obviuosly not clued in here at all but what is meaning of your headline... The Perils of Pauline's Blu-ray Player???tongue.gif

It helps to be as old as Bob: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Perils_of_Pauline_%281914_serial%29

-Bill

 

Thanks Bill ...still don't get it. Oh well!redface.gif

post #712 of 10242
Hi, I have received my BDP-105EU with the multi-zone DVD and multi-region BD mod from Audiocom about a week ago, but I have had just about two days for some testing. Unfortunately I have no disks from other zones or regions at the moment, so that I cannot test this functionality. But there was some leaflet saying that the modified firmware is directed to some specific IP address for future updates, so I suppose it will require future firmware updates to actually be always modified and released by Audiocom first, in order to preserve this functionality...?

The device works really nicely as an DMR, except that many DMCs (controllers) only can detect it while changing the device's name. I guess that is rather a problem of the controllers...? E.g. the Android UPnPlay app seems to work very well, unlike the others I have tried.

I can also confirm that the USB DAC works well with an up-to-date Linux kernel - without the need for any special drivers or changes. It is just "plug&play".

I am a bit disappointed by the fact that the player will not play my old OGG files (most of my collection, actually) - neither as DMP nor as DMR. I guess this feature would be quite easy to support for Oppo.

I haven't tried if we can get any closer to the gapless playback in the DMR mode, yet. But I suppose this won't be any perfect solution either, since the UPnPlay app has itself a configuration option to enforce "nearly gapless" playback...

I also did not find any way how to add SRT subtitles to videos - neither through DMP nor DMR mode. How can you do that? Anyway, someone mentioned here that custom encoding for the SRT files cannot be chosen, which is quite a fatal drawback for quite many people, I suppose :-(
post #713 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanthalf View Post

I also did not find any way how to add SRT subtitles to videos - neither through DMP nor DMR mode. How can you do that? Anyway, someone mentioned here that custom encoding for the SRT files cannot be chosen, which is quite a fatal drawback for quite many people, I suppose :-(

DMP and DMR are still just DLNA, which doesn't support external subtitles, as far as I know.

You can embed the subtitles, which will also take care of the character encoding (at least in MKV).

-Bill
post #714 of 10242
Question regarding using a USB hard drive with Oppo-105:

Is it possible to connect a USB storage (music files only) to Oppo-105 and queue a series of music files to play?

Or do I need to wait for a music file to finish playing and then choose another file to play?
post #715 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post

Question regarding using a USB hard drive with Oppo-105:

Is it possible to connect a USB storage (music files only) to Oppo-105 and queue a series of music files to play?

Or do I need to wait for a music file to finish playing and then choose another file to play?

You can define playlists but they are not persistent when the player is powered off.

I believe the process is described in the online manual.

-Bill
post #716 of 10242
Hello All,
Two quick questions:

When using a DVD Audio disc using XLR outputs, I want to listen in two channel. Do I need to use the menu to select two channel? It seems the two channel track comes automatically through the stereo outputs..I am just wondering if I need to select through the menu to get the dedicated stereo tracks.. I seem to remember something about the stereo outs are always the stereo track in full range. Am I right?

Second, On my SACD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I cannot access the hi rez tracks. The Oppo only shows CD, not SACD. I tried all other SACDs I own and this is the only one that won't find the SACD tracks...what can I do? Thanks
post #717 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

It's not clear to me what inputs get access to the 32 bit asynchronous DAC on my 105. Do I have to use the rear "type B" USB input to make use of the high quality DAC? What if I render FLAC files via hardwired ethernet connection; does that use the same asynch DAC as the rear USB input? I just want to make sure I'm optimizing the sound quality by using the best connection for playing back my digital music using the 105.
Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether the quality of the Cat 5/5e cable matters for connecting the 105 via ethernet to the router?
Thanks

While you will take advantage of the Sabre DAC's with any input, the asynchrous input will give the best sound quality. The reason is that the digit timing clock will be reclocked by the asynchrous input in the Oppo and will not be reclocked with any other input. Computers do not have good internal clocks. Below is a link to a website which better defines the asynchrous inputs.
http://www.hifi-advice.com/USB-synchronous-asynchronous-info.html
post #718 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post

Hello All,
Two quick questions:

When using a DVD Audio disc using XLR outputs, I want to listen in two channel. Do I need to use the menu to select two channel? It seems the two channel track comes automatically through the stereo outputs..I am just wondering if I need to select through the menu to get the dedicated stereo tracks.. I seem to remember something about the stereo outs are always the stereo track in full range. Am I right?

Second, On my SACD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I cannot access the hi rez tracks. The Oppo only shows CD, not SACD. I tried all other SACDs I own and this is the only one that won't find the SACD tracks...what can I do? Thanks

 

1.  All of Oppo'sanalog and digital outputs are active at the same time. No need to activate/de-activate anything from the menu.

 

2.  Really strange but i'll let others more experience than i can answer this question.

post #719 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

Also, does anyone have an opinion on whether the quality of the Cat 5/5e cable matters for connecting the 105 via ethernet to the router?
Thanks

Sure it matters. It must not drop packets. Otherwise you are good to go. Monoprice has Cat 5e cables starting at 55 cents depending on your required length that should comfortably fit this requirement. If you need something more than 100 meters then you might need something fancier.

Or you could go with one of the Denon AKDL1 cables. I strongly recommend reading the reviews of this cable on Amazon. The properties it possesses are truly mind boggling.
Edited by ehlarson - 12/4/12 at 7:03pm
post #720 of 10242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post

Hello All,
Two quick questions:
When using a DVD Audio disc using XLR outputs, I want to listen in two channel. Do I need to use the menu to select two channel? It seems the two channel track comes automatically through the stereo outputs..I am just wondering if I need to select through the menu to get the dedicated stereo tracks.. I seem to remember something about the stereo outs are always the stereo track in full range. Am I right?

The stereo outputs are downmixed with the LFE channel deleted. Best to use the stereo tracks by selecting from the disc menu, which was specifically mixed for that purpose.
Quote:
Second, On my SACD Goodbye Yellow Brick Road I cannot access the hi rez tracks. The Oppo only shows CD, not SACD. I tried all other SACDs I own and this is the only one that won't find the SACD tracks...what can I do? Thanks

They may be an occasional issue with a specific hybrid SACD not being recognized as such. Try re-loading the disc a few times after powering off the player, if it doesn't resolve then send Oppo specifics on the disc, including UPC code. And of course be sure the disc actually has the SACD logo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players ›  Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread